View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] 
 WTF? Dolphins could trade Jordan 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post WTF? Dolphins could trade Jordan
Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Dolphins are "gauging trade value" for 2013 No. 3 overall draft pick Dion Jordan.
In a transaction made by ex-GM Jeff Ireland, Miami sent the Nos. 12 and 42 overall picks to Oakland during last year's draft to land Jordan at No. 3 overall. Fins DC Kevin Coyle, who remains on staff, struggled to find a position fit for Jordan despite freakish athletic tools, as he only played 330 snaps on defense. Jordan's trade value after a disappointing rookie year is unclear, but his contract would be easy to fit under another team's salary cap, and he's a high-ceiling 24-year-old athlete. We suspect he could net a second-round pick, even if "giving up" on Jordan after one year would be a spectacular embarrassment to the franchise.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:23 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: WTF? Dolphins could trade Jordan
If it was possible to be batting a negative percentage, Jason La Canfora would be doing it with his Dolphins coverage.

Not buying it.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Cue the Circus music......

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't buy this.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:28 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Why not? Sorry, rookies contribute on other teams except ours. We had virtually 0 pass rush and this kid is riding the bench.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:32 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Dion Jordan to be traded?!?!?!?!
Quote:
Dolphins floating Dion Jordan in trade talks

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 28, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Dion Jordan
AP
Ordinarily you’d say this was big news.

But given the recent events in Miami, giving up on a first-round pick a year into the process almost doesn’t register.

According to Jason LaCanfora of CBSSports.com, the Dolphins are “gauging trade value” for 2013 first-round pick Dion Jordan.

As in, third overall pick Dion Jordan.

I would like to broadcast and scream a big loud WTF!!!!

How do you prevent a 3rd overall pick from getting on the field and then expect to trade him the following offseason?!?!?!!?

This is the most ridiculous thing I have EVER seen! Is this a big, "We are done with the Ireland trash" type of move.... or is there something that we do not know.

Do you really expect to get anything more than a 2nd round pick for the #3 guy in the draft from a year ago?!?

This is insanity!

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:33 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Re: Dion Jordan to be traded?!?!?!?!
Oh by the way.... the Link was from ProFootballTalk

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dion Jordan to be traded?!?!?!?!
Duplicate thread, you guys were almost pushing send at the same time!

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wouldn't trade Jordan. If they do, watch him go bonkers and upgrade another team. IMO, anytime he was in the game he was either around the QB or covering a TE well. He has a big upside. Yeah sure trade him for a second rounder and go grab another dud.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:38 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
We had virtually 0 pass rush.

Nevermind that we were ranked 4th in pass rushing efficiency and tied for 11th in sacks.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I want 3 lethal pass rushers. Plus Wake's not gettin any younger.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree Swerve and good pass rushers are hard to come by. Year two being acclimated ought to be much better for Jordan too, so let's trade him for a number 2 that we don't even know will perform.

I think Jordan is a guy who will become a double digit sacker and it would not surprise me if he becomes someone who wreaks havoc to the QB on a regular basis.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:47 pm

swerve13 wrote:

If we had a defensive coordinator worth a lick, he'd slide Vernon inside in obvious passing situations and line up Jordan outside.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Olivier Vernon's development last year makes this move a serious possibility. I found this article from last month about the possibility of the Eagles trading their 1st round pick (#22) for Jordan. I would think it would take more than that for Miami to bite. The article also states Miami would eat $10,000,000 in dead money on the salary cap if they traded Jordan.

"The Eagles should absolutely consider trading the No. 22 pick for Jordan. The problem is I doubt the Dolphins would move Jordan at this point in his career. He has a lot of potential, he's young, and he's on a reasonable contract. Plus, the Dolphins would be incurring $10 million in dead money against their salary cap. Just because the new Dolphins GM didn't draft him doesn't mean he won't value Jordan. Either way, it will be something interesting to monitor this offseason. I don't see Miami trading Jordan, but if they did, that could be a great addition for the Eagles."

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014 ... ion-jordan

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:01 pm

We would take a $12+ million cap hit if we traded Jordan. That's one third of our cap room.

To me, it would make more sense to trade Olivier Vernon. He just put together a nice season, moving him is cap neutral and we could probably get a better pick back for him than we spent to acquire him.

That's how this should work. You should turn your 3rd round picks into 2nd round picks, not your #3 overall picks into late 1st or 2nd rounders. Not the other way around.

Also, Vernon is strong and has good quick twitch ability, but he's not the athlete Jordan is. And despite his 11.5 sacks, I'm not sold on him being the future at pass rusher for this team. He graded out negatively overall according to PFF. He may have been 7th in sacks for 4-3 DEs, but he was 36th in QB hits and 20th in pressures. And how many of those sacks were caused by the pressure being brought on the opposite side forcing the QB into Vernon's hands?

Just another example of how numbers CAN lie.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Obviously, Ireland wasn't in a vacuum when he traded up to get Jordan..........this had to be someone Philbin & Coyle were really high on, especially since we didn't go after a left tackle. Personally, I look at Philbin and Coyle as Deadmen walking. If I were the GM/Owner, I wouldn't make any big trades in an attempt to find pieces to fit their system, and I certainly wouldn't trade someone with as much upside as Jordan, because Coyle doesn't know how to use him.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
We would take a $12+ million cap hit if we traded Jordan. That's one third of our cap room.

To me, it would make more sense to trade Olivier Vernon. He just put together a nice season, moving him is cap neutral and we could probably get a better pick back for him than we spent to acquire him.

That's how this should work. You should turn your 3rd round picks into 2nd round picks, not your #3 overall picks into late 1st or 2nd rounders. Not the other way around.

Also, Vernon is strong and has good quick twitch ability, but he's not the athlete Jordan is. And despite his 11.5 sacks, I'm not sold on him being the future at pass rusher for this team. He graded out negatively overall according to PFF. He may have been 7th in sacks for 4-3 DEs, but he was 36th in QB hits and 20th in pressures. And how many of those sacks were caused by the pressure being brought on the opposite side forcing the QB into Vernon's hands?

Just another example of how numbers CAN lie.

Good points........other than the theory that anyone is subject to a trade if this "price is right", it makes no sense to consider trading Jordan. I really hope this is just a BS report.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

See, this scares me. If they are looking for trade potential in Jordan, that obviously means they are not certain of his long term future in Miami, and the coaches are not confident in their own abilities to bring him up to his 3rd overall potential.

I'm sorry, but the 3rd overall pick in the draft not starting two straight years is a darn joke. I could understand if it was a QB (even then it is hard to excuse), but damn. Come on.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Let the chants begin, WE WANT CLOWNEY! WE WANT CLOWNEY! WHO DO WE WANT? CLOWNEY, WHEN DO WE WANT HIM? NOW! :haha

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

did you guys read the whole thing?

Numerous league sources, including executives from other teams, say the Dolphins might also be open to dealing receiver Mike Wallace and pass-rushing ace Cam Wake. That perception has only grown through the course of this week, through conversations with numerous decision-makers from other clubs, as Miami looks to retool its roster under a new regime.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... ion-jordan

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Although less than Jordan, trading either Wake or Wallace would eat up additional cap.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:29 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Rich wrote:
Although less than Jordan, trading either Wake or Wallace would eat up additional cap.

I absolutely love Cameron Wake, but if a pass rush hungry team were to offer a 1st rounder for him... you gotta pull the trigger.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

2nd Rd pick in 2014 for No. 3 Overall in 2013?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:57 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Makchell wrote:
Why not? Sorry, rookies contribute on other teams except ours. We had virtually 0 pass rush and this kid is riding the bench.

Mak, there is no way in HELL that the Dolphins are going to trade a guy they traded UP to get after one year. This is beyond STOPID. And yes, that is how I meant to spell stupid.

Jason LaCanfora is a darn joke. Trade Wake, Wallace and Jordan.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm not sure what's to be gained by openly stating certain players are available for trade? If you're interested in a trade, then call another GM with what you want in return and ask him to keep it confidential. If Wake, Jordan and Wallace weren't demotivated enough by last year, then how are they going to feel about their names being floated around for a trade.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:11 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

This is beyond STOPID.

Yep, and these are the Fins.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
Mak, there is no way in HELL that the Dolphins are going to trade a guy they traded UP to get after one year. This is beyond STOPID. And yes, that is how I meant to spell stupid.

Jason LaCanfora is a darn joke. Trade Wake, Wallace and Jordan.

Jeff Ireland traded up. Hickey did not. He has no ties to Jordan, so he can simply say I'm ridding the team of a past mistake. He may not valve Jordan like Ireland did.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't see how we would take a $12M cap hit to trade Jordan........that would drastically effect our ability to strengthen the O-line. To Rich's point, Vernon maybe the odd man out........considering he's only 23, he could command a mid to late first round pick. Green bay at 21, could be interested........their leading pass rusher, on the line, was DT Mike Daniels with 6.5 sacks.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
With Koa Misi and Olivier Vernon occupying defensive end spots with Miami in its 4-3 scheme, finding playing time for Jordan might be tough barring injury.

This is part of the problem. Here you have this kid going into his second NFL season and more acclimated and the analysts keep Koa Misi in front of him. Misi is a decent player, but not a game changer. Jordan seems to have a great upside with his abilities, so why not suggest Koa Misi's job is in jeopardy?

I don't buy into Miami trading their star players away either.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

If we had a defensive coordinator worth a lick, he'd slide Vernon inside in obvious passing situations and line up Jordan outside.

Thank you for some sanity here, Rich. If the Dolphins can't find any use for Dion Jordan then it is on Croyle.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
Fins DC Kevin Coyle, who remains on staff

The problem is highlighted. Despite having Wake and the emergence of Olivier Vernon, Miami Defense still couldn't stop a well intentioned girl scout troop if they wanted in the endzone. He had the number 3 overall pick who, after I looked at on gamefilm looked solid in limited snaps, an a solid corner in Grimes still couldn't post a defense that was even top 10. He should've been one of the casualties in the off-season. I have zero confidence going forward this team will win anything with him as the DC.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:37 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

you for some sanity here, Rich. If the Dolphins can't find any use for Dion Jordan then it is on Croyle.

Funny how an article just came out saying that Jordan's work ethic sucks. Look, if was good, he'd be playing. there wouldn't be trade rumors flying around.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:12 am

Makchell wrote:
Funny how an article just came out saying that Jordan's work ethic sucks. Look, if was good, he'd be playing. there wouldn't be trade rumors flying around.

That wasn't an article... it was Dave Hyde's opinion/source column.

And there aren't trade rumors flying around. One guy put out rumors... a guy who tends to miss the mark with his rumors.

I will tell you one reason those trade rumors are crap.

$12 million cap hit for trading Jordan.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:32 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If Miami wanted to deal Dion Jordan then why would they leak out information that his work ethic is a problem? Doesn't that hurt his value?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:35 am

Jordan looked good for the small amount of time he was in. I think the biggest knock on him is the guy who picked him. Wish this staff would stop playing politics.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]