View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins respond to Jordan, Wake, Wallace trade rumor 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Dolphins respond to Jordan, Wake, Wallace trade rumor
Let's clear things up:
The Dolphins have begun shopping defensive end Dion Jordan to gauge his trade value, CBSSports.com reported today.
That's false, a Dolphins source just told me.
The Dolphins are open to trading receiver Mike Wallace and are gauging interest in him around the league, CBSSports.com reported today.
That's false, the same Dolphins source just told me.
The Dolphins are open to trading Cameron Wake, CBSSports.com reported today.
That's false, the same Dolphins source just told me.
So what we have here is an issue of credibility and integrity. Do you believe CBSSports.com? Or do you believe the Miami Dolphins?
I know my source.
I'm going with the Dolphins.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Post Re: Dolphins respond to Jordan, Wake, Wallace trade rumor
I don't even bother to open the Miami Herald any longer. Armando clearly has an agenda in my eyes, and it's not in the Dauphin's interests.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So who do you believe..... this guy who talked to this other guy... or this other other guy who says he talked to another guy?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm glad they came out quickly to strongly deny the rumors...........I'll guess we'll have to wait to see if their words hold up.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Ikema wrote:
I don't even bother to open the Miami Herald any longer. Armando clearly has an agenda in my eyes, and it's not in the Dauphin's interests.

Uh... even though he is clearing up a rumor that made the Dolphins look stupid?

I'm confused by your angle here...

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I completely believe Miami is kicking the tires around on the valve of these guys. They would be foolish to not see what is out there.

The OL is horrid & they need help. With Vernon's break out season, they have 3 pass rushers or would be pass rushers. If they can move one of them for a solid OLman or a high pick to grab a solid OLman then I understand the thought process.

As for Wallace. Over paid can't catch WR with speed. Again if they can move him for a OLman then they can sign a gamble WR like Britt, Rice or maybe grab Greg Little from the Browns. I see the thought process.

Miami has to deny the rumors simply because they do not want players thinking they are being shopped.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
I completely believe Miami is kicking the tires around on the valve of these guys. They would be foolish to not see what is out there.

The OL is horrid & they need help. With Vernon's break out season, they have 3 pass rushers or would be pass rushers. If they can move one of them for a solid OLman or a high pick to grab a solid OLman then I understand the thought process.

As for Wallace. Over paid can't catch WR with speed. Again if they can move him for a OLman then they can sign a gamble WR like Britt, Rice or maybe grab Greg Little from the Browns. I see the thought process.

Miami has to deny the rumors simply because they do not want players thinking they are being shopped.

+1 ......

I'd hesitate on Wake though. The other guys I don't have any attachment too. One was a luxury pick. Wallace/Tannehill are a poor fit and as you said we need O-line help more than Jonathan Martin needs testicles.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
we need O-line help more than Jonathan Martin needs testicles.

:)

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Wallace/Tannehill are a poor fit

If they were a poor fit the blame goes to Tanny and the O-line. Wallace would've had a huge year if Tanny could have gotten him the ball.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I still don't know why Miami doesn't try to replace Wheeler with Jordan. Jordan is faster, can blitz and can cover. So much potential there.

I think Miami is nuts not to see if Lazor can somehow get creative with Tannehill and Wallace. Tannehill needs a big body safety valve and red zone threat that compliments what Wallace can do.

If you can get a top 10 pick for Wake then sure (would Atlanta be that nuts?) make the deal. But he still has a few years of elite play in him. Do we trust Hickey's drafting ability enough to give up on a top defender?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
La Canfora's story, accessible at the link below, indicates Hickey intends to invest heavily in the talented 2014 draft, and is willing to part with big-name players in order to load up on picks. Ex-GM Jeff Ireland's 2013 offseason "master plan" blew up tremendously during the regular season, and looks worse and worse by the day.

I really wonder if Hickey wants to gain a bunch of picks and then field one of the youngest teams in the NFL. If we start trading our top players then I hope we get some difference makers like Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans. Both would be better number 1 WR's than Wallace is.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wake and Wallace are overpaid. If we could get a 1st round pick for either one of them I wouldn't be upset. Going into the offseason with an extra $23M in cap space and three first round picks is a pretty good way for Hickey and Philbin to build the team the way they want.

While I think both are great players, Wake is on the wrong side of 30 and Wallace took advantage of a desperate Jeff Ireland.

Bottom line, who would you rather have:
Wake and Wallace
or
Eugene Monroe, Jimmy Graham, and 2 1st round picks

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Wake is overpaid? I'm not too worried about the cap, they keep increasing it.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:43 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
I really wonder if Hickey wants to gain a bunch of picks and then field one of the youngest teams in the NFL. If we start trading our top players then I hope we get some difference makers like Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans. Both would be better number 1 WR's than Wallace is.

Man, I sure hope we're not going into total rebuild mode.

I'm not sure who I believe in this report. It really could go either way here. As far as reputation, I would put my money on Armando Salguero. I've been impressed with his sources rather than other media sources ... unless the Dolphins are purposely trying to ruin 'mando's credibility due to his biting articles as of late.

There is definitely motivation for Hickey to rebuild this OL quickly. If the Dolphins cannot find a use for Dion Jordan then I would say that it is on Croyle. The kid is loaded with talent.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:01 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Wake and Wallace are overpaid. If we could get a 1st round pick for either one of them I wouldn't be upset. Going into the offseason with an extra $23M in cap space and three first round picks is a pretty good way for Hickey and Philbin to build the team the way they want.

While I think both are great players, Wake is on the wrong side of 30 and Wallace took advantage of a desperate Jeff Ireland.

Wake and Wallace
or

I gotta say I think you're right here.

I think Wallace is very valuable but not impossible to replace. Even when hes making amazing plays hes not the most likable guy. Did anyone here buy his jersey?

However I will say this, getting a rookie to replace Wallace would not be a good move right now. Tannehill needs a big receiver with experience or he could crash this year

& I'm sorry guys, because I know we all like him, but Wake is not that special. If we can get something like a 1st or 2nd to be used on an O-lineman then I think we would be stupid not to trade. He only had 11 more tackles than Dion Jordan . . .

At first I was pissed to hear this because we fans have been through too much already. Now though, I think it would be wise for the organization to find out what kind of interest other teams have. Lets make some deals & move forward

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Steve Zissou wrote:
I'm sorry guys, because I know we all like him, but Wake is not that special. If we can get something like a 1st or 2nd to be used on an O-lineman then I think we would be stupid not to trade. He only had 11 more tackles than Dion Jordan . . .

Wake is get to the Qb type player. He carries the most valve. Could Miami get a late 1st for him? I'm not sure, but Miami has to build an OL and Wake is 32.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:12 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

The easiest way to gauge what is going on is to look at what it does to the cap this year and next. That won't tell the entire story, but it gives a good barometer. The other thing to consider is why would this come out shortly before FA? Could be other FOs trying to reinforce the message that the dolphins are a mess to hinder our recruiting efforts.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:47 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Let someone offer up a nice pick and we will see how set they are on holding onto them..

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:49 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

hallphin wrote:
The easiest way to gauge what is going on is to look at what it does to the cap this year and next.

Got your answer right here ...

Quote:
Setting aside for now the question of whether the Dolphins would or wouldn’t trade any, some, or all of these players, it’s important to consider the salary-cap consequences.

For Wallace, who signed a five-year, $60 million contract last year, a trade before June 1 would result in an immediate cap charge of $8.8 million, which represents the remainder of his $11 million signing bonus. However, the Dolphins also would avoid responsibility for a fully-guaranteed base salary of $15 million in 2014. (Yes, the Dolphins are paying Wallace $15 million fully guaranteed this year.)

As to Wake, trading him before June 1 would trigger a $4.2 million cap charge. His base salary of $5.82 million would be avoided.

The biggest cap consequence would come from trading Jordan before June 1. The move would cause a $10 million charge to hit the cap — with a savings of only $1.34 million in 2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -dolphins/

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:51 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Raiders once traded for 30 year old Richard Seymour of the Patriots and the Pats got a first round pick in return. If you want to try and trade 32 year old Wake, call Oakland up!! :haha

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If they trade Wallace or Jordan I'd rather get a player than a draft pick. Like a top offensive tackle.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Got your answer right here ...

Quote:
Setting aside for now the question of whether the Dolphins would or wouldn’t trade any, some, or all of these players, it’s important to consider the salary-cap consequences.

For Wallace, who signed a five-year, $60 million contract last year, a trade before June 1 would result in an immediate cap charge of $8.8 million, which represents the remainder of his $11 million signing bonus. However, the Dolphins also would avoid responsibility for a fully-guaranteed base salary of $15 million in 2014. (Yes, the Dolphins are paying Wallace $15 million fully guaranteed this year.)

As to Wake, trading him before June 1 would trigger a $4.2 million cap charge. His base salary of $5.82 million would be avoided.

The biggest cap consequence would come from trading Jordan before June 1. The move would cause a $10 million charge to hit the cap — with a savings of only $1.34 million in 2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -dolphins/

So they'd save 6.2 million on Wallace, 1.62 million on Wake, and 1.34 million on Jordan. That what I'm reading?

I completely forgot Cam Wake was 32 years old.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The $10 M cap hit with Jordan is the remainder of his signing bonus, which is $3.3 M/yr for the the next three years. The $1.3 M savings is simply his anticipated salary in '14...........which really isn't a savings because they're going to have to sign another player to replace him.

Wallace will be the highest paid receiver in the league this year with a whopping salary and cap hit of $17.25M........that money's guaranteed...........so there's no chance he gets traded this year.
Article on Wallace........http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/03/01/miami-dolphins-wont-be-able-to-trade-mike-wallace/

That's why I think the CBSSports report is bogus, it would be beyond stupid to take that kind of cap hit in a trade of Wallace or Jordan.

Last edited by shularino on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Steve Zissou wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Wake and Wallace
or

I gotta say I think you're right here.

I think Wallace is very valuable but not impossible to replace. Even when hes making amazing plays hes not the most likable guy. Did anyone here buy his jersey?

However I will say this, getting a rookie to replace Wallace would not be a good move right now. Tannehill needs a big receiver with experience or he could crash this year

& I'm sorry guys, because I know we all like him, but Wake is not that special. If we can get something like a 1st or 2nd to be used on an O-lineman then I think we would be stupid not to trade. He only had 11 more tackles than Dion Jordan . . .

At first I was pissed to hear this because we fans have been through too much already. Now though, I think it would be wise for the organization to find out what kind of interest other teams have. Lets make some deals & move forward

This type of move would be primarily about undoing the damage Ireland did during his tenure with the Dolphins when he made several bad contract deals that gave players big money well past their playing prime (Wake), or simply a gross amount of money that didn't match their production (Wallace). If Hickey were able to trade both players away for 1st round picks, and secure a new offensive line to better protect Tannehill, then he will have pulled off an excellent offseason that sets the team up to be successful and cap rich for several years to come. Will there be some cap hits this season as a result of the trades, sure, but we still come out on top by about $10M this year. Not to mention we save over $20M in cap space next season and a little less than that in 2016.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Wake's contract is quite team favorable.......it's primarily back-loaded with a signing bonus of $7.1M.

That being said, this is the year to trade him, his base salary jumps to $8.3M & $8.4M in 15' and 16' respectively. With singing bonus, his compensation will approach $10M in those two years. It's questionable, whether the Phins will honor his contract after this year. If we can get a first rounder or a strong O Lineman, then you probably have to pull the trigger.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:37 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Again if they can move him for a OLman then they can sign a gamble WR like Britt,

Quote:
101) Kenny Britt, WR, Tennessee Titans: He looked like the worst player in the NFL at times last year. Watch the tape. Some team will try to turn his career around.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... s-for-2014

No thank you.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
I'm not sure who I believe in this report. It really could go either way here. As far as reputation, I would put my money on Armando Salguero. I've been impressed with his sources rather than other media sources ...

La Confora is literally at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to reputation, and reliability. It's an absolute joke that clown still has a job. He picked Miami to go 0-16 last season as well. He really knows football.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

and he looks like the fat kid on "2 and a half men"

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:43 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

shularino wrote:
Wake's contract is quite team favorable.......it's primarily back-loaded with a signing bonus of $7.1M.

Good pass rushers aren't easy to find. I really don't think the Fins will let Cam Wake go anywhere. Even though he was not 100% he still played better than anyone else on the DL.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
shularino wrote:

Good pass rushers aren't easy to find. I really don't think the Fins will let Cam Wake go anywhere. Even though he was not 100% he still played better than anyone else on the DL.

With the way his contract is structured, the Phins need to be open to a trade. Teams like the Cowboys or Packers could make a big move for a player like Wake.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Quote:
101) Kenny Britt, WR, Tennessee Titans: He looked like the worst player in the NFL at times last year. Watch the tape. Some team will try to turn his career around.

No thank you.

He was unmotivated last year & knew it was his last yr is Tenn. Change of scenario can do wonders for a player, happens all the time in the NFL He is still young ( 26 in Sept ) Loads of talent. Worth a gamble at the right price..

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:54 pm

Steve Zissou wrote:
Wake is not that special.

Just wow.

This is a guy that rates top 3 almost every season at 4-3 defensive end. He's great against the run and at getting to the QB and he is not special?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:28 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
So they'd save 6.2 million on Wallace, 1.62 million on Wake, and 1.34 million on Jordan. That what I'm reading?

I completely forgot Cam Wake was 32 years old.

No, it's dead cap hit subtracted from dead cap. Their dead cap is higher than their cap hit. We would take a cap hit by trading any of them prior to June 1st. The biggest cap hit would be for Dion Jordan... $12 million.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
He was unmotivated last year & knew it was his last yr is Tenn.

See this is an issue. Your playing in the greatest sport, the NFL, and you don't stay motivated.

He is young and talented too, but it is a dang shame that these young guys don't go 100% all the time. Yeah, if he came to Miami and gave you his all, great, but what are the odds?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:

See this is an issue. Your playing in the greatest sport, the NFL, and you don't stay motivated.

He is young and talented too, but it is a dang shame that these young guys don't go 100% all the time. Yeah, if he came to Miami and gave you his all, great, but what are the odds?

NFL History is full of unmotivated players in bad situation moving to a new team & producing. He fell out of favor in Tenn after his knee injury. They drafted Wright. The writing was on the way.

I said gamble it would be a gamble & sometimes teams have to gamble on a player or two. Britt would be the most talented WR on the roster in Miami.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:58 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

There was a rumor that Philly wa willing to give up their first rounder this year for Jordan because Chip Kelly enteR him in the fold. I wonder if Philly is still willing to give up that first rounder for him? I apologize for whizzing on the cheerios of the more optimistic Phins fans, but I saw the pick as a mistake when it was made, and if Miami can get out of that mistake now, they should do it. Especially with the depth in this draft class...that #22 pick from the Eagles could be a top-tier corner like Gilbert or Dennard, or a difference-making TE or WR like Eric Ebron or Kelvin Benjamin, or even a D-lineman that I think is better than Dion, like Ra'Shede Hageman or Timmy Jernigan...or, Heaven forbid, a second studly first round O-lineman.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Hickey can get a 1st round pick or pair of 2nd rounders each for Wake and Wallace, he will have set the team up to be cap rich and loaded with draft picks. While both are elite players, I understand the logic in making such a move. Trading Jordan makes no sense to me. That move would handicap our cap situation big time and would send away a very talented young player.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:53 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jordan is the guy we should be grooming to replace Wake. If we can move Wake or Wallace for a high pick, then we probably should do it. I would hate to see Wake go, but the team won't be going deep into the playoffs before he retires anyway. Wallace and Tannehill have no chemistry.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:59 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Jordan is the guy we should be grooming to replace Wake. If we can move Wake or Wallace for a high pick, then we probably should do it. I would hate to see Wake go, but the team won't be going deep into the playoffs before he retires anyway. Wallace and Tannehill have no chemistry.

I like this thought. I would much rather move Wallace than Wake but FFF makes sense. While I know its now OK to pile on Ireland because he is gone it seems he was pretty knowledgeable in getting players while preserving cap space. While I still think his time was done here I think of all the clowns here running the show both past & present he might have been the least of the problem. There is a reason free agents under perform when they get here.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next