View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 My really early Mock Draft for Miami 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

My really early Mock Draft for Miami
Still trying to get a gauge on how Dennis Hickey and his philosophy on talent. With that said, we know the Dolphins have obvious needs that have to be addressed. Free agency will be used, and that always effects how a team drafts.

One thing that I do believe is that Tampa Bay likes to draft kids from BCS schools.

I thought I would put a little something out there for you guys to chew on.

1) Taylor Lewan, OLT, 6'7, 315 lbs, Michigan - Without question, OL is THE #1 issue that Miami needs to address. Taylor had an inconsistent year this year, but the talent level around him dropped and OL is about chemistry level as well. He still had a solid year and in his matchup against Jadaveon Clowney in the Outback Bowl in 2013, he did a great job against Clowney.

2) Carlos Hyde, RB, 6'0, 235 lbs, Ohio State - RB Lamar Miller is a nice back, but he is a finesse back. And while his pass blocking has improved, there has been times were he has just been overpowered. Hyde is a big, physical back that runs with power and has some shake to him and good speed for a back his size. Miami needs a more physical back, especially on short yardage plays.

3) Anthony Steen, OG, 6'2, 310 lbs, Alabama - Once again, the Dolphins have to address the OL, as ORT John Jerry seems to not be able to control his weight and his play has not been what you would want. Thick compact frame that is ideal to gain leverage, but quick enough to pull. Is coming off a partially torn labrum, which he had surgery on and missed the Sugar Bowl.

4) Daniel McCullers, DT/NT, 6'7, 348 lbs, Tennessee - Miami went from a top 10 unit against the run to finishing 24th against the run. Both Paul Soliai and Randy Starks are free agents. McCullers was a kid that demanded a double team and was still a force against the run.

5) Dion Bailey, S, 6'0, 200 lbs, Southern Cal - Chris Clemons is a free agent and the Dolphins could always use a playmaker on the back end. The redshirt junior ended his career as SC with 11 career interceptions and 222 tackles.

6) Cameron Fleming, ORT, 6'6, 318 lbs, Stanford - ORT Tyson Clabo got off to a slow start, but played better once he got a chance to get his job back after the Jonathan Martin/Richie Incognito fisaco. But he still had a lot of issues and he getting up in age. Fleming is a powerful run blocker that struggles with speed on the edge, thus he is strictly an ORT.

7) Aaron Colvin, CB, 6'0, 186 lbs, Oklahoma - Aaron would be projected much higher if not for tearing his ACL at the Senior Bowl. Miami has to make a decision on Dmitri Patterson and Brent Grimes is a free agent along with Nolan Carroll. Miami has Will Davis and Jamar Taylor, but Colvin is a talent worth taking a chance on at this point. I also expect Brent Grimes to be re-signed as well.

We got a long way to go and a lot of things that are going to change.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: My really early Mock Draft for Miami
I wonder how much better the OL could have been with a better OL coach? Not saying the OL shouldn't be addressed in the draft, just wondering.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Wow, nice draft.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:
I wonder how much better the OL could have been with a better OL coach? Not saying the OL shouldn't be addressed in the draft, just wondering.

They got a better OL coach this offseason, well Asst OL coach.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:
Wow, nice draft.

I don't know every guy in that mock but at face value it would be a home run for Hickey.

As always, nice work Tony.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:09 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I like the positions you hit on. I'd like to see Miami invest in a TE early on, but it's tough to get everything into one draft.

I thought Lewan got too much hype coming into the year, and now gets too much criticism. I don't see him getting to #19. If he did, I'd welcome him. He brings a demeanor that this offensive line lacks. I think he's athletic enough to work in a zone scheme, but needs to do a better job keeping his head up if he's going to do so.

I have Hyde as my top "power" back in the draft, ahead of Hill. He has good enough feet that I think he can be a nice back on 3rd down as a receiving option. I'm always hesitant to spend high picks on power backs though. I'm a sucker for explosiveness.

Obviously Free Agency changes a lot, but it will be hard to get out of acquiring depth in the secondary, D-line and the Oline in the draft, as you have. Nice looking mock.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:11 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Phins Rock wrote:
I like the positions you hit on. I'd like to see Miami invest in a TE early on, but it's tough to get everything into one draft.

I thought Lewan got too much hype coming into the year, and now gets too much criticism. I don't see him getting to #19. If he did, I'd welcome him. He brings a demeanor that this offensive line lacks. I think he's athletic enough to work in a zone scheme, but needs to do a better job keeping his head up if he's going to do so.

I have Hyde as my top "power" back in the draft, ahead of Hill. He has good enough feet that I think he can be a nice back on 3rd down as a receiving option. I'm always hesitant to spend high picks on power backs though. I'm a sucker for explosiveness.

Obviously Free Agency changes a lot, but it will be hard to get out of acquiring depth in the secondary, D-line and the Oline in the draft, as you have. Nice looking mock.

Free Agency is without a doubt going to shape the draft. I have seen a few mock with Lewan to Miami, but it so very early in the process. I like explosiveness as well, but I also like backs like Marshawn Lynch, Beast Mode type of backs.

At the end of the day though, you have got to win the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Has the RB you mentioned shown the ability to pick up the blitz?

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 pm

AQNOR wrote:

He's 235 pounds with nice feet. If it isn't a strength of his, I'll be disappointed.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:31 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phins Rock wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

He's 235 pounds with nice feet. If it isn't a strength of his, I'll be disappointed.

Hyde should be a solid pick up. I like the idea but I would wager Philbin doesn't. He doesn't appear to care enough about the running game to use a pick on an RB so soon. Plus he's patient with player development, which I think is part of the reason hes kept his job. So he may think Gillislee can step in this year.

& don't be in a hurry to move on past Dion Sims, PR. He showed a couple flashes last year. & if he puts in a good offseason he could be a stud

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:09 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

phinsfansc wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Free Agency is without a doubt going to shape the draft. I have seen a few mock with Lewan to Miami, but it so very early in the process. I like explosiveness as well, but I also like backs like Marshawn Lynch, Beast Mode type of backs.

At the end of the day though, you have got to win the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

I agree. You're on the right track there. This will probably be one of the most non sexy drafts in our history lol If we're trying to build a starting o-line then we better couple some picks and trade up

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:12 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

AQNOR wrote:

This is what ESPN said about Hyde in regards to the pass game.

"Can take eye off ball and drop what should be routine catch but above average hands. Catches away from frame and in stride. Can highpoint ball. Above average route runner that can separate from linebackers. Can sink better and recognize blitz a split second earlier but above average pass blocker. Gets into position and holds up more times than not. Not a much of a big-play threat after catch."

He needs to improve, but he is more advanced in his career than either Daniel Thomas or Lamar Miller.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:36 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I wouldn't blow a second rounder on a running back. You want a big, physical back? James Wilder can be had in the fifth round.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:44 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

TommyNoleFin wrote:
I wouldn't blow a second rounder on a running back. You want a big, physical back? James Wilder can be had in the fifth round.

Dude, I am a FSU fan as well and went to Pasadena for the NC game. James Wilder is a solid back and he did not have the numbers because FSU rotates the backs. Still, I like Hyde more than James because he is more explosive and bring more to the table.

I know JP has Hyde rated as a 3rd round back, and Miami certainly could wait later in the draft or go free agency to get a back. But I am seeing him mocked in the 2nd round along with Tre Mason.

Like I said, it so early that this is going to change NUMEROUS times. Free agency is going to change a lot of what all the teams will do, Miami included.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm with you, I'm hoping to get Lewan at 19. The guy didn't give up a sack all season. As much as we threw the ball last season, we really need to get someone in there capable of protecting Tannehill's blindside.

1st - Taylor Lewan - OT - Michigan
Could play left or right tackle depending on what we do in free agency.
2nd - Travis Swanson - C/OG - Arkansas
Versatile lineman that could play C or LG. Excellent on pull blocks.
3rd - Anthony Johnson - DT/DE - LSU
Interior pass rusher who could replace Starks in the rotation.
4th - Keith McGill - CB/FS - Utah
CB or FS project depending on what we do with free agency.
5th - Brent Urban - DT/DE - Virginia
Versatile player that could be developed as a DT or DE.
6th - Seantrel Henderson - OT - Miami
Boom or bust prospect. My guess is he'll be starting at RT for someone soon.
7th - Kapri Bibbs - RB/KR - Colorado State
The numbers don't lie. This kid is a touchdown machine.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:16 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I like these for the first 5 rounds.

1st Zack Martin, OT/G, Notre Dame
2nd Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
3rd A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama
4th Anthony Johnson DT LSU
5th Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:56 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

rtwelve1993 wrote:

After seeing how Taylor Lewan is doing at the combine, I don't see him getting to Miami, so Zack Martin would be my pick at #19.

If they can get Cyril Richardson in the 2nd round, I would be elated. With what Miami needs right now, I don't see a QB being taken that early, if at all. You never know though.

Marcus Lattimore went in the 4th round in the 2013 draft to the 49ers.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Lewan will go to the Gmen at 12 but I think we can get Martin at 19. Cyril Richardson doesnt fit us at all, he's a huge slow mauler.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:52 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

A tackle with a bum knee? We will draft him, watch.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:05 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
Lewan will go to the Gmen at 12 but I think we can get Martin at 19. Cyril Richardson doesnt fit us at all, he's a huge slow mauler.

Richardson is a kid considered quick enough to pull and trap effectively. That what you want, and I love the fact that he is a power player. Buffalo MAULED Miami's OL, and overpowered them.

He's got work to do, but all these guys do.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was watching him at the Senior Bowl and the commentators were saying he's entirely too slow for a zone fit.

Quote:
Baylor G Cyril Richardson ran an official 5.36-second 40-yard dash at the combine on Saturday.
Richardson's broad jump was 7'7", he did 25 reps on the bench and he posted two separate times of 1.82 seconds in the 10-yard split. The mauler was expected to show a stiff frame in workouts, and he did. He's a straight-line blocker who doesn't have great balance but can drive lineman into linebackers in the run game. Expect him to go in the middle rounds to a team that still favors a bruising ground game.

Last edited by swerve13 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:34 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I'm with you, I'm hoping to get Lewan at 19. The guy didn't give up a sack all season. As much as we threw the ball last season, we really need to get someone in there capable of protecting Tannehill's blindside.

Thanks for taking the time, but no play makers until the 7th? We need OL help, sure, but we need to score more points. 7 btw in the final 2 games, 7....

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mak don't get your hopes up for playmakers in this Miami draft, except maybe a runningback or tight end. We need 3 or 4 off. linemen, a safety and a defensive tackle and we only have 7 picks.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:06 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

phinsfansc wrote:
rtwelve1993 wrote:

After seeing how Taylor Lewan is doing at the combine, I don't see him getting to Miami, so Zack Martin would be my pick at #19.

If they can get Cyril Richardson in the 2nd round, I would be elated. With what Miami needs right now, I don't see a QB being taken that early, if at all. You never know though.

Marcus Lattimore went in the 4th round in the 2013 draft to the 49ers.[/quote
darn thats what I get for doing this after getting back from a party. I went to bed right after I copied and pasted him in there.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I really hope Miami takes care of "needs" in free agency by plugging holes and not negotiating against themselves.

The draft should be to take the best player available or to move up and get the guy you want for your team.

Miami could sign an entire o-line, a rotational DT, safety and running back and still have enough money to sign the rookies. Let's get this thing right.

We still have no idea what guys like Dion Sims, Dallas Thomas, Jamar Taylor, Will Davis and maybe even Michael Egnew are capable of becoming.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:58 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mak don't get your hopes up for playmakers in this Miami draft, except maybe a runningback or tight end. We need 3 or 4 off. linemen, a safety and a defensive tackle and we only have 7 picks.

I understand that, but we drafted Thomas and found Brenner. Pouncey is up in the air, so that leaves L and R OT where one of them can be a FA signing.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Very nice picks Tony. However, unfortunately, I just do not see Taylor Lewan being there for Miami's pick and here are a few additional ideas for pick considerations:

I like Zach Martin from Notre Dame. He is solid with a great character and is starting NFL material.

Tre Mason IMO, is the best running back that would fit Lazor's new offense and give Miami a true threat and a version of LeSean McCoy.

You can get a couple more offensive lineman in the draft rounds and pick up a solid starting OL in free agency and a veteran great for the locker room and leadership. Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State is a monster and a nice pick by round 3.

Calvin Barnett for round 4 eats up space and inevitably Starks or Solai are gone and you need someone to start plugging into the rotation to stop the run.

RD#1 -Zach Martin -T- Notre Dame
RD#2 -Tre Mason -RB- Auburn
RD#3 -Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
RD#4 -Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma State

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:33 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
Very nice picks Tony. However, unfortunately, I just do not see Taylor Lewan being there for Miami's pick and here are a few additional ideas for pick considerations:

I like Zach Martin from Notre Dame. He is solid with a great character and is starting NFL material.

Tre Mason IMO, is the best running back that would fit Lazor's new offense and give Miami a true threat and a version of LeSean McCoy.

You can get a couple more offensive lineman in the draft rounds and pick up a solid starting OL in free agency and a veteran great for the locker room and leadership. Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State is a monster and a nice pick by round 3.

Calvin Barnett for round 4 eats up space and inevitably Starks or Solai are gone and you need someone to start plugging into the rotation to stop the run.

RD#1 -Zach Martin -T- Notre Dame
RD#2 -Tre Mason -RB- Auburn
RD#3 -Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
RD#4 -Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma State

Hey Fin, Thanks. Yes, I did mention a few comments before your that Lewan would not get to Miami after what he did at the combine yesterday. Zach Martin would be my guy right now at #19 for Miami.

I do also like Tre Mason a lot, but I do really love Hyde and the fact that he is 230 lbs with nice speed and he is decent as a receiver coming out of the backfield and as a blocker.

I like the names you have out there.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

I understand that, but we drafted Thomas and found Brenner. Pouncey is up in the air, so that leaves L and R OT where one of them can be a FA signing.

We can't rely on Brenner or Thomas to start.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tony I'm starting to worry that even Zack Martin could be gone before we pick. Maybe to Baltimore.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Tony I'm starting to worry that even Zack Martin could be gone before we pick. Maybe to Baltimore.

Like I said before, don't gamble on the draft for needs. Miami has money and doesn't have to grab the most expensive guy at each position, just someone reliable. They can piece together a better o-line than last year without breaking the bank. Chemistry is an unknown regardless of how they approach it.

Draft the best player available.

A lot of this changes if Tannehill takes the next step. You want your QB to mask your team's problems or elevate the play of the complimentary parts. It may not be fair but the reality is he needs to be better. You can have Branden Albert, Zane Beadles, Mike Pouncey, Wade Smith and Zack Martin lining up and it won't matter if Tannehill doesn't elevate his play and Lazor doesn't call a balanced game. They are capable, just need to execute better.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:20 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:

Do you think Baltimore is letting Eugene Munroe or Michael Orr walk? Would love to see Miami take a shot at Munroe if that were to happen.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Do you think Baltimore is letting Eugene Munroe or Michael Orr walk? Would love to see Miami take a shot at Munroe if that were to happen.

Ya, I heard Oher is a goner. They want to keep Monroe.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:28 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Ya, I heard Oher is a goner. They want to keep Monroe.

I have heard those rumblings as well. I would think they would make a major push to keep Monroe in the fold.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Might have to just give Albert a 4 year deal and hope to get Martin in round 1 or maybe Mewhort in round 2 to play right tackle.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Overall its a weak OG class, IMO. The tackle class is great, and I think Miami should look to take advantage of that.

I could see them going cheap at OT in Free Agency, load up at OG, and then fix OT in the draft.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Overall its a weak OG class, IMO. The tackle class is great, and I think Miami should look to take advantage of that.

I could see them going cheap at OT in Free Agency, load up at OG, and then fix OT in the draft.

sounds good to me.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It will be interesting to see if we draft a QB in the 4th or later rounds. It's very likely Moore will be gone after this season and Devlin's "Devlin". AJ McCarron is projected as a 4th or later pick.......I vote we draft him, primarily to see more of Katherine Webb.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

Thanks for taking the time, but no play makers until the 7th? We need OL help, sure, but we need to score more points. 7 btw in the final 2 games, 7....

I've since had to change my approach in light of Lewan's combine performance. I now think he's a legitimate top ten pick that we would have to trade up for. In addition, I do buy that Hickey is testing the waters to see what he can get for Wake, Wallace, or Jordan. Under those parameters, here would be my new mock draft assuming we traded Cameron Wake away for a late 1st round pick:

1st (19th overall) - Trade Back - Add 3rd Round Pick
1st - Morgan Moses - OT - Virginia
Would be our starting right tackle across from either Albert or Monroe (whoever we snap up in free agency).
1st - Stephon Tuitt - DT - Notre Dame
Would either start next to Odrick or rotate with Odrick and Soliai.
2nd - Tre Mason - RB - Auburn
Would split carries with Lamar Miller.
3rd - Cyril Richardson - OG - Baylor
Would compete for a starting guard spot with Dallas Thomas.
3rd - Kareem Martin - DE - North Carolina
Would back up Dion Jordan.
4th - Craig Loston - SS - LSU
Would compete with Chris Clemons for the SS job. Special teams gunner.
5th - Adrian Hubbard - OLB - Alabama
Competition for our lackluster linebacking corps.
OT depth that would compete with Moses in camp.
7th - Jeff Mathews - QB - Cornell
QB project for Lazor.

UDFA - Spencer Long - OG - Nebraska
OG depth.
UDFA - Kapri Bibbs - RB - Colorado State
RB project.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:

Big day today. If Baltimore does not franchise Monroe I would almost guarantee he'll be a Dolphin by 4:01 PM next Tuesday. And the contract will probably dwarf what Long received last year.

I thought he'd already have the tag applied and Baltimore would never let him leave. Have to wonder if Baltimore thinks they have a shot to get a LT with their first pick?

I'm also starting to get the feeling that neither Starks nor Soliai will be back.

My guess right now is Miami spends BIG on keeping Grimes and getting Monroe. I'm convinced they leaked to his agent that he'll get ridiculous money. The FO knows they can get out of the Wheeler, Misi, Gibson, Ellerbe and even Hartline deals next year to clear up money.

Based on player ranking and hopefully getting needs in FA, I could see Miami getting a DT, TE or S with the 19th pick. It is highly possible that Robinson, Matthews, Lewan and Martin are off the board by then so it is risky to hope one will be sitting there (see Wannstedt with Carey in 2004).

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]