View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Thoughts on the trade rumors 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Thoughts on the trade rumors
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... ade-rumors

Quote:
It’s difficult to believe the Dolphins and new general manager Dennis Hickey are discussing trades for all three players. Wake, Jordan and Wallace are among the most dynamic talents on the team, and good organizations do not dump talent unless it is rebuilding. The Dolphins have given no indication that they are in rebuild mode in 2014. Owner Stephen Ross is still upset the team collapsed at the end of the season and missed the playoffs. He wants to win now. Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin also is on the hot seat and must win in Year 3. Trading Wake, Jordan and Wallace would be awful for his job security.

Miami has more than $30 million in cap room to spend this offseason. The Dolphins are in position to be major players in free agency for the second year in a row. The team is not desperate for salary dumps to get under the cap.

Focusing on Wallace, he has an extremely high cap number of $17.25 million in 2014. That makes Wallace virtually untradable with other teams. Wallace signed a five-year, $60 million contract that was designed to keep him in Miami for at least three seasons. Based on his contact, this is probably the most difficult year to make such a move.

If I had to pick one player of the group most tradable, it would be Jordan. Former Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland was enamored by Jordan in college and traded up to the No. 3 overall pick to get him. However, Miami’s coaching staff couldn’t figure out a good role for Jordan all year and used him as a rotational defensive end and special-teams player. There are plenty of coaches who would love to get their hands on a talent like Jordan, who also is relatively affordable thanks to the rookie wage scale. But I expect the Dolphins to try to make it work this year instead of giving up after one season.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Thoughts on the trade rumors
swerve13 wrote:
Former Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland was enamored by Jordan in college and traded up to the No. 3 overall pick to get him. However, Miami’s coaching staff couldn’t figure out a good role for Jordan all year and used him as a rotational defensive end and special-teams player. There are plenty of coaches who would love to get their hands on a talent like Jordan, who also is relatively affordable thanks to the rookie wage scale. But I expect the Dolphins to try to make it work this year instead of giving up after one season.

I don't understand how all this happened. There had to have been a MAJOR communication error between Ireland and the coaching staff for him to take Jordan at number 3, and at the same time using a 2nd rounder to get there as well. None of this should have happened with a coach's say in it.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Fire Coyle and bring in a 34 front technician.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

Unfortunately, we're going to have to wait a year.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Former Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland was enamored by Jordan in college and traded up to the No. 3 overall pick to get him. However, Miami’s coaching staff couldn’t figure out a good role for Jordan all year and used him as a rotational defensive end and special-teams player. There are plenty of coaches who would love to get their hands on a talent like Jordan, who also is relatively affordable thanks to the rookie wage scale. But I expect the Dolphins to try to make it work this year instead of giving up after one season.

I don't understand how all this happened. There had to have been a MAJOR communication error between Ireland and the coaching staff for him to take Jordan at number 3, and at the same time using a 2nd rounder to get there as well. None of this should have happened with a coach's say in it.

I agree. I almost fell out of my chair when they said Dion Jordan was the pick. I would have bet my house they had moved up to take Lane Johnson with that pick. Can you imagine the pressure that can mount in a teams war room when they take the best available player versus a glaring need and they are not unanimous about the pick? Who knows maybe Dion Jordan turns out to be a Pro Bowl pass rusher/OLB for the next 10 years. We have to also remember that Olivier Vernon was not expected to produce they way he did when this pick was made.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If Miami can get Tannehill protection and Tannehill learns how to lead Wallace on throws, well IMO, Mike Wallace can still be among the best receivers in the NFL. That guy could have had 12-15 touchdown catches last season. If the timing improves and the new offensive coordinator uses him better, he is a production play maker in Miami's offense. Speed kills.

As far as trading Jordan, I am not for it. This kid when given chances last season was chasing that QB and was good in tight end coverages. Year two, I expect much bigger things and Cameron Wake isn't getting younger. I would find a way to get Misi off the field and replace with Jordan.

Cameron Wake? MAYBE you get a 2nd round pick for him at best, but if that were to happen I wouldn't like it, but he is 32 years old and realistically another 3 years of play at a high level.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:

Miami had a pretty good one until Philbin was hired. Then he comes in & says " Well that has been working really well, lets change it."

Down hill ever since.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:08 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Miami had a pretty good one until Philbin was hired. Then he comes in & says " Well that has been working really well, lets change it."

Down hill ever since.

Agreed. One sign of a good coach is to realize that if something works, don't bother it. Miami was a top 5 unit against the run, and have gotten worse every year and now rank in the 20's in run defense.

The personnel was there and was proven as a 3-4 defense.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm ready for Harbaugh :pumpiron:

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]