View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Dolphins have not approached QB Matt Moore about a pay cut 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins have not approached QB Matt Moore about a pay cut
Quote:
The Dolphins have not approached QB Matt Moore about a pay cut. Moore is owed $4 million in the final year of his two-year deal. Per the Miami Herald, the Bucs pursued Moore last March. New Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey was in that Tampa Bay front office and may be a fan of the backup quarterback.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4535/matt-moore

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:09 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins have not approached QB Matt Moore about a pay cut
This is where Ross's handling of the offseason bothers the crap out of me. Is Hickey guaranteed to be here even if the team collapses? Its not necessarily his fault because he inherited everything and can only do so much in one year. So do you keep Moore to try and save Philbin if Tannehill falters? Do you attempt to trade him to build for the future? Or even cut him to use that money on a long term deal for another guy?

Is Miami building for the future or going all in to save Philbin? How is Hickey supposed to do the job to the best of his abilities if he is handcuffed to 2014?

Yes, I know the spin is supposed to be that Philbin, Aponte and Hickey all get along and are on the same page.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:03 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
This is where Ross's handling of the offseason bothers the crap out of me. Is Hickey guaranteed to be here even if the team collapses? Its not necessarily his fault because he inherited everything and can only do so much in one year. So do you keep Moore to try and save Philbin if Tannehill falters? Do you attempt to trade him to build for the future? Or even cut him to use that money on a long term deal for another guy?

Is Miami building for the future or going all in to save Philbin? How is Hickey supposed to do the job to the best of his abilities if he is handcuffed to 2014?

Yes, I know the spin is supposed to be that Philbin, Aponte and Hickey all get along and are on the same page.

This is pretty much the same position Rick Spielman was put in in 2004. Only difference is Spielman was already here, but it was his first season having final say on players and the goal was to win now...

So we made a bunch of bad trades.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:

This is pretty much the same position Rick Spielman was put in in 2004. Only difference is Spielman was already here, but it was his first season having final say on players and the goal was to win now...

That would be a real shame if that is the truth.

I thought he had a 3 year contract contrary to the 2 year contract the media first reported.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:31 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

I think this is a better roster than 2004, but I have little faith in the coaching staff. I feel better about Lazor running the offense and new guys coaching the OL and LBs, but is that enough?

Not sure how anyone could argue Matt Moore wouldn't be an upgrade in places like Houston, Minnesota, Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland and maybe even St Louis. While I love that having Moore is great insurance, if you can get a 5th round pick then why not? There is a better chance that 5th rounder will be in the roster in 2015.

Then again, if there is truth to the Tannehill short leash story then you need to keep Moore. Its a weird place to be as a Dolphins' fan. Are they rebuilding or happy with the current group?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:46 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We suck on all levels, from owner to kicker. It's a shame.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

We have a lot of potential IMO. So far the staff has done what was necessary.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Suck on all levels? I'm not the most optimistic guy, but that's a bit farther than I'll go. We have some 5 star talent, a bunch of better-than-average guys and then the rest are average or worse. That's not great, but it's better than sucking on all levels. An infusion of quality talent on the O-line would make the rest of the team seem better. That's assuming the coaching staff doesn't sabotage any improvements made on the roster, which is a possibility.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't think Miami should part ways with Moore. He is a quality back up and Miami may need him before the season is over. Miami doesn't have a ton of money tied up in the QB's. Even if Tannehill thrives under Lazor he is still one good hit away from the bench.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

We have a great punter.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

rodneyfaile wrote:
Makchell wrote:

We have a great punter.

John Denney is money... Bang! Pow! Right in the kisser

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I've made my point pretty clear when it comes to Matt Moore. I think he's a quality backup, but that's about it. That said, if it were up to me, I wouldn't trade Moore just yet. I'd draft a late round prospect like Jeff Mathews from Cornell (Lazor's alma mater) to replace Devlin. Then I'd wait for a too good to pass up deal around the deadline, or after sombody has a starter go down and we've got the upper hand. But I wouldn't trade the guy for anything less than a 3rd or 4th round pick. As bad as our offensive line was last year, Tannehill's health isn't a guarantee no matter how tough the kid is.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]