View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 OT: Vontae Davis seeking more money than Grimes 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: OT: Vontae Davis seeking more money than Grimes
swerve13 wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
No hate. But that's the easiest thing to label it for people who want to instigate yet another forum quarrel on here by demeaning someone's reluctance to worship PFF's service.

Huh? Lol, all of that must have went over your head. Nothing in that quote above remotely describes the meaning behind what I posted.

You said "Why the hate for PFF" and Rock said it's not hate, but it's easy to say that we hate it because we don't agree with it.

I was directly responding to Rich's post, in which he wrote a few detailed paragraphs in regards to his infatuation of PFF. I wasn't calling you two haters lmao, I'm neutral in this.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I think i understand what you're saying now. It was just being sarcastic right?

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:04 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think PFF is a good tool to help gauge a player's play on the field. For the most part it is very good. Is it the holy grail? Of course not, but show me something better that is available.

BTW, getting back on topic here, it looks like the Colts are not going to let him get away. To me, this made the most sense for them since they gave up a 2nd round pick to get him from us. Then again, since La Confora is reporting it then it is a 50/50 chance.

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts are "nearing a deal" with free agent RCB Vontae Davis. La Canfora says there's "every expectation" the sides will strike an accord by Monday. If so, Davis will never make it to Tuesday's open market. Davis is seeking a contract worth in excess of $8 million per year, and perhaps closer to $10 million annually after Sam Shields broke the bank in Green Bay. Davis is better than Shields. He's also younger, turning 26 years old this May.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5089/vontae-davis

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
But they are fans Rich. They don't have any scouting qualifications.
Just fans like Bleacher report writers.

Do Bleacher Report writers get paid by agents, players, scouts, journalists and teams for their consultative services and their data?

Bad analogy.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:11 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:
They have 7 full time staff and multiple freelance data contributors.

Personally I find that even more mind boggling then. I was expecting to hear about a lot more than that given the amount of time it would take to scout a single game and every snap for every player who participated.

It took them a year and a half to complete their 2009 analysis. After that, they built a database where they can simply plug in the data and it spits out the grades. They add a + or - to each player for each play they participate in and the database goes through iterations until all of the data is compiled.

This has helped them reduce the time to publish greatly.

By the way, it is no different than videographers on a team editing film for film study. They spend several hours viewing and reviewing film and editing it and it has to be ready by early the following week.

I don't find it that mind boggling at all.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:13 am

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
in regards to his infatuation of PFF.

It's not an infatuation. I have more knowledge about their process than most here it seems, so I can vouch for its objectivity and thoroughness.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:15 am

Big Dave wrote:
I think PFF is a good tool to help gauge a player's play on the field. For the most part it is very good. Is it the holy grail? Of course not, but show me something better that is available.

Not even the best teams' data is the holy grail. They all make mistakes.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:33 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
It took them a year and a half to complete their 2009 analysis. After that, they built a database where they can simply plug in the data and it spits out the grades. They add a + or - to each player for each play they participate in and the database goes through iterations until all of the data is compiled.

This has helped them reduce the time to publish greatly.

By the way, it is no different than videographers on a team editing film for film study. They spend several hours viewing and reviewing film and editing it and it has to be ready by early the following week.

I don't find it that mind boggling at all.

There are 44 players on the field between offense and defense. That's essentially like watching the tape over 44 different times just to actively grade each individual who participated. Average games last what, around 3 hours? That's 132 man hours just for 1 game alone, not including special teams. To do this in a 6 day span until the next game would require 22 hours per day.

That also doesn't include what Swerve quoted previously when it comes to what plays the specific plays were designed for.

So yes, I do think they provide an interesting service ...... especially for us regular fans. But I still think there's a limit to which it should be trusted.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:58 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
There are 44 players on the field between offense and defense. That's essentially like watching the tape over 44 different times just to actively grade each individual who participated.

Actually, there are 22 players on the field per play.

Quote:
Average games last what, around 3 hours?

They use an NFL service that condenses the game, no commercials and cuts out all the in between play stuff.

So I've just cut down your projected time considerably.

Not to mention, if you are evaluating offensive line play for example, you can look at more than one player at once. The right tackle and right guard are right next to each other. And you don't need to evaluate the wide receiver on the left side of a running play is going to the right side.

I mean... let's use a tad bit of common sense here.

Quote:
That also doesn't include what Swerve quoted previously when it comes to what plays the specific plays were designed for.

You mean the outdated article?

Quote:
So yes, I do think they provide an interesting service ...... especially for us regular fans. But I still think there's a limit to which it should be trusted.

And that limit appears to be whenever their analysis goes counter to whatever your opinion is of a particular player.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
But they are fans Rich. They don't have any scouting qualifications.
Just fans like Bleacher report writers.

Do Bleacher Report writers get paid by agents, players, scouts, journalists and teams for their consultative services and their data?

Bad analogy.

that doesn't matter.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

It's not an infatuation. I have more knowledge about their process than most here it seems, so I can vouch for its objectivity and thoroughness.

that's called an infatuation. :haha

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:52 pm

swerve13 wrote:
that doesn't matter.

Because....?

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:53 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

No, it's called being part of the interview process to become one of their analysts.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Actually, there are 22 players on the field per play.

Whoops. I accidentally used the number for a teams starters on both sides of the ball. There are still 44 active starters though between both teams, not including special teams.

Quote:
They use an NFL service that condenses the game, no commercials and cuts out all the in between play stuff.

So I've just cut down your projected time considerably.

Out of curiosity what does it condense it down to?

Quote:
Not to mention, if you are evaluating offensive line play for example, you can look at more than one player at once. The right tackle and right guard are right next to each other. And you don't need to evaluate the wide receiver on the left side of a running play is going to the right side.

I mean... let's use a tad bit of common sense here.

To effectively gauge a player it is my own personal opinion that the viewer cannot be looking at everything around him, no matter how close in proximity.

Quote:
And that limit appears to be whenever their analysis goes counter to whatever your opinion is of a particular player.

Did I ever say that? Or is that what the PFF guys told you?

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
No, it's called being part of the interview process to become one of their analysts.

Definitely no bias then in your defense of their process.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Out of curiosity what does it condense it down to.

Ever watch NFL Rewind?

Quote:
To effectively gauge a player it is my own personal opinion that the viewer cannot be looking at everything around him, no matter how close in proximity.

You don't need to sit there and only look at that one player for that one play to gauge how he did on that play. And you have the option of rewinding to ensure you didn't miss anything.

Quote:
Did I ever say that? Or is that what the PFF guys told you?

Just recollection from previous posts.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
that doesn't matter.

Because....?

Just doesn't, it's still just fans forming their own opinions on what they see.
No different than you, me and Rock starting a website today and then watching a bunch of games and then handing out some grades we feel necessary. Who would really care? Because who exactly are Rich, Swerve and Rock Sexton?

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Definitely no bias then in your defense of their process.

Better to form an opinion when having the information than to form one when having none.

Like I said, I know more about the process and the more I learn about it the more I believe in it.

Those of you claiming it is flawed or biased or whatever don't actually know how it works and how the data is compiled and yet judge it.

You know what they say about assuming...

Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:59 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Who would really care?

The NFL teams, agents, scouts and journalists who PAY for their services care enough to pay for them.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Quote:

and now we see your love for them runs even deeper than we thought. You're even trying to work there.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Ever watch NFL Rewind?

I have not. So that's why I'm asking. You're insinuating you have, so please en"RICH" me with the proper number.

Quote:
Just recollection from previous posts.

So no actual proof.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Better to form an opinion when having the information than to form one when having none.

Like I said, I know more about the process and the more I learn about it the more I believe in it.

Those of you claiming it is flawed or biased or whatever don't actually know how it works and how the data is compiled and yet judge it.

You know what they say about assuming...

You don't even know how exactly it's compiled yet outside of some rough, general concepts. Are you hired yet? They gave you the secret sauce in interviews?

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
and now we see your love for them runs even deeper than we thought. You're even trying to work there.

Well his rabid defense of their service after all this time does make more sense now, that's for certain.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Do they brainwash people like the Sunshine Cleaners did in that Seinfeld episode?

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

So essentially you don't like PFF because you've disagreed with some of their ratings, you can't really bring an argument to the table, you post articles with no links (like you ALWAYS do) that are outdated and your strongest arguments are "it doesn't matter" and "because it doesn't" with no substance whatsoever and when it is all said and done you resort to childish posts.

This coming from a guy that just last week was criticizing Kev for adding nothing to a thread and yet here you are doing the same thing.

:hithead:

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

:) :) :) :)
And out come the personal attacks because I won't allow you to brainwash me with your PFF sermon. My work is done here.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Well his rabid defense of their service after all this time does make more sense now, that's for certain.

Another one that complains about other people's behavior on this forum and yet you're always right in the thick of it.

Here am I having a discussion about what I know about the service, as much as I am allowed to say, and all you can eventually do is degrade the thread to an attempt at infantile ridicule.

And I am sure you'll be on your high horse in another thread telling Dave how he should run his site...

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:09 pm

swerve13 wrote:
:) :) :) :)
And out come the personal attacks because I won't allow you to brainwash me with your PFF sermon. My work is done here.

If getting the other guy to issue a personal attack is the sign of winning the argument, I beat you a while ago.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

save the speeches Rich you're the one that's always the root of every fight on here.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:11 pm

swerve13 wrote:
save the speeches Rich you're the one that's always the root of every fight on here.

Hmm... I'm the one sticking to the main point of the discussion, which is PFF.

What are you doing other than trying to turn this into an insult-fest because you're run out of ammunition?

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
because you're run out of ammunition?

God, don't you hate it when that happens? I'll supply the kool aide for ya.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:29 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I tend to agree with Rich.

I've read a lot of information they provide on their site, including how they do the analysis. It's pretty amazing the amount of work they put into it. They're continuously improving their processes too... they've recently introduced something called Signature Stats, which takes into account more in-depth statistics, such as "dropped passes, throw aways, spikes, and yards in the air" for Quarterbacks.

You don't have to agree with their analysis... but from I understand, there are people in the NFL today that use their information for their own research.... so it's not like it's just some guys getting together playing a game.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:

You don't have to agree with their analysis... but from I understand, there are people in the NFL today that use their information for their own research.... so it's not like it's just some guys getting together playing a game.

It stills boils down to their personal opinion of a players play & putting into numbers.

I'm sure the NFL takes into account what they put up, just as I'm sure they take into account what the talking heads have to say on college prospects. Teams should gather all the information from different sources & then make the best decision on what you believe.

I just know that in the world today time after time we find out that people are not doing what they are claiming to be doing on many things.

I do believe posters can lean a little to heavy on what the site has to say & use it as their only rebuttal to someone.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:10 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
I do believe posters can lean a little to heavy on what the site has to say & use it as their only rebuttal to someone.

Since we cannot be posting videos left and right to prove a point about the quality of a player, I will ask the question again.

What is available to us that is better?

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Since we cannot be posting videos left and right to prove a point about the quality of a player, I will ask the question again.

What is available to us that is better?
Probably nothing, but again all is being done is taking their opinion & putting it into numbers. I'm sure they have a great system, but unlike Bill James who took opinion out of it for baseball, these guys are basing their system on their opinion. They say Davis was in the right position when someone else might disagree.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Probably nothing, but again all is being done is taking their opinion & putting it into numbers.

I don't agree that is ALL that is being done.

While there are certainly going to be plays that are open to interpretation (football is full of this, just look at the officiating), over the stretch of the season, over hundreds or even a thousand snaps, a player is what a player is.

That is more than enough ample size to get an accurate grade of the quality of play. And while there may be plays that are open to interpretation, there are hundreds of plays where it will be clear cut that a player won or lost that particular play.

At the end of the day, after hundreds or over a thousand snaps, if a player grades poorly against the run, it will be because he played poorly against the run.

Where there is definitely more room for noise or distortion is players that are back ups, get injured or for whatever other reason get limited snaps.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Another one that complains about other people's behavior on this forum and yet you're always right in the thick of it.

Here am I having a discussion about what I know about the service, as much as I am allowed to say, and all you can eventually do is degrade the thread to an attempt at infantile ridicule.

And I am sure you'll be on your high horse in another thread telling Dave how he should run his site...

Haha those tactics are futile man.

Good luck on your PFF job candidacy though.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Good luck on your PFF job candidacy though.

Thanks. I won't have a life on Sundays (oh wait, yes I will, I'll be watching football)...

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:25 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

More drama and reporting....thanks.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sounds like Grandma is getting her nursing home paid for.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next