View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Dolphin FA moves pt 2 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Dolphin FA moves pt 2
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rlins.html

Here's what they're doing behind the scenes

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphin FA moves pt 2
Quote:
The good news: Delmas allowed only 43.8 percent of passes thrown against him to be completed last season (14 for 32), which was best in the league among all safeties.

Way to switch the narrative:

Quote:
The bad news: When he’s burned, he’s burned badly, because he takes poor angles at times. The 14 receptions against him in 2013 averaged (gulp!) 22.4 yards, worst in the league. He missed 13 combined games with knee problems over 2011 and 2012; he played in every game last season but missed a lot of practice time because of his knees.

Quote:
The good news on Albert: He relinquished just four sacks in 555 pass rushing chances last season, which is exceptional, and allowed the fewest quarterback hurries (13) of any tackle who played nearly that much. Over the past three years, he has consistently ranked in the top 12 among all tackles in pass blocking.

The worrisome news? Though he graded out very well as a run blocker in 2010 and 2011, he was slightly below average last season (40th of 76), per PFF.com. He has had back problems in the past, but the Dolphins believe that’s a non-issue now. His nine penalties last year were among the most per snap among tackles.

Albert seems crazy good in pass protection, I can see this guy REALLY benefiting the Tannehill to Wallace combo.

This one is for you PFF enthusiasts:

Quote:
PFF ranked Earl Mitchell 57th of 69 against the run in 2013. And overall, PFF rated him 51st among tackles last season, compared with seventh for Starks, 13th for Jared Odrick and 20th for Soliai

However, Bill Polian had the guy ranked as the 5th best overall free agent (from any position) in the NFL. Definitely a mixed bag of reviews for this Mitchell guy.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:10 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Quote:
The good news: Delmas allowed only 43.8 percent of passes thrown against him to be completed last season (14 for 32), which was best in the league among all safeties.

Way to switch the narrative:

Quote:
The bad news: When he’s burned, he’s burned badly, because he takes poor angles at times. The 14 receptions against him in 2013 averaged (gulp!) 22.4 yards, worst in the league. He missed 13 combined games with knee problems over 2011 and 2012; he played in every game last season but missed a lot of practice time because of his knees.

Quote:
The good news on Albert: He relinquished just four sacks in 555 pass rushing chances last season, which is exceptional, and allowed the fewest quarterback hurries (13) of any tackle who played nearly that much. Over the past three years, he has consistently ranked in the top 12 among all tackles in pass blocking.

The worrisome news? Though he graded out very well as a run blocker in 2010 and 2011, he was slightly below average last season (40th of 76), per PFF.com. He has had back problems in the past, but the Dolphins believe that’s a non-issue now. His nine penalties last year were among the most per snap among tackles.

Albert seems crazy good in pass protection, I can see this guy REALLY benefiting the Tannehill to Wallace combo.

This one is for you PFF enthusiasts:

Quote:
PFF ranked Earl Mitchell 57th of 69 against the run in 2013. And overall, PFF rated him 51st among tackles last season, compared with seventh for Starks, 13th for Jared Odrick and 20th for Soliai

However, Bill Polian had the guy ranked as the 5th best overall free agent (from any position) in the NFL. Definitely a mixed bag of reviews for this Mitchell guy.

Really starting to question the validity of PFF!

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
He missed 13 combined games with knee problems over 2011 and 2012; he played in every game last season but missed a lot of practice time because of his knees.

I think what we should be hoping for is that he was 'almost' ready to come back in 2013. And that with another full year of healing his knees will be back to normal, his health and ability to practice are at 100% and his run blocking improves. I can believe that bad knees will hurt your run blocking.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

PFF sucks... :ann0y:

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:07 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

MdDolfan wrote:
Really starting to question the validity of PFF!

The number of snaps he took (553) play a role in his ranking). Top guys like Suh and McCoy had more than 900 snaps. Since they grade each play with + or -, the less a player plays the less likely he is going to move up in the ranks. As an example, while he was still playing, Richie Incognito was a top 10 guard, but finished the season ranked 24 because other players got more opportunities.

Also, as was mentioned before, Mitchell was put in a 3-4 defense when he is a better fit in a 4-3. He got a lot of negative grades early in the season but had some really good games towards the end, when presumably he became more acclimated with playing nose tackle in a 3-4.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:49 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I like what Miami has done so far and the prospective signings I'm reading about.

Albert really breaks down to 3 years and 25 million aka not a bad deal at all for a Pro Bowl LT not yet in his twilight years. Still very confused about Monroe but either A. Miami misread the market B. His agent through out a ridiculous number C. Miami coveted Albert or D. Some combination of the three.

I also like the Mitchell signing because they didn't overpay for Soliai or Joseph. They can easily draft a big run stopper.

With the cap space they have I think they can sign both an OG and RT. Would provide so much more flexibility in the draft.

It wouldn't bother me at all to see them reset the running back position. MJD should be released soon after the Gerhart signing. Ronnie Brown is out there as a 3rd down option. Ben Tate is still available as is Donald Brown. Combine anyone of those guys with a draft pick and keep Lamar Miller to let him fight for his job.

I have to give Aponte credit. She structures good deals to keep options open.

Oh yeah, and sign JON BEASON!!! Need an impact MLB. Can't just hope Mosley falls to them in the draft.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

so we actually tried to get Beadles. He would have been a good zone fit.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:24 pm

swerve13 wrote:

He had a very mediocre season compared to 2012. Allowed 41 pressures despite blocking for a QB that gets rid of it before the ball is even snapped... that puts him near the bottom of the league for pressures allowed by a guard.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:

I think the contract he got was nuts, but Jacksonville has money to burn.

Still have Davin Joseph, Shelley Smith, Wade Smith and Daryn Colledge available for FA guards. Travelle Wharton is talking retirement and is Willie Colon even an option?

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I've read there is also interest in Evan Dietrich-Smith and Sameson Satele who both can play guard or center.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:09 am

jammer wrote:
I've read there is also interest in Evan Dietrich-Smith and Sameson Satele who both can play guard or center.

Satele has always been a decent pass protector and terrible run blocker. We need guards that can push the defense back.

Dietrich-Smith seems like a much better option.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Still some decent tackles available. Heck, you might get Michael Oher on a prove it deal. Bad year in 2013 and certainly not the answer, but maybe cheap money and some motivation to go all out at right tackle for a payday.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Still some decent tackles available. Heck, you might get Michael Oher on a prove it deal. Bad year in 2013 and certainly not the answer, but maybe cheap money and some motivation to go all out at right tackle for a payday.

Every time I hear his name I think of The Blind Side and think he is unstoppable, then watch film and am always disappointed. Lol...he has..or at least once had the potential to be as close to an immovable object as it comes on the field.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:46 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

DanRambo wrote:
jammer wrote:

Every time I hear his name I think of The Blind Side and think he is unstoppable, then watch film and am always disappointed. Lol...he has..or at least once had the potential to be as close to an immovable object as it comes on the field.

I'm not expecting any big return, just saying he might be a one year stop gap that competes with draft pick for the starting job. Honestly, might be better off bringing back Clabo or asking McKinnie to play the right side.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm always so impatient with this process. I want a new offensive line, and I want it NOW. Yet, I know that the smart money is to play it cool and bring the second tier guys as their markets stabilize a bit. But I want it NOW! Deep breaths...

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

I like Michael Oher and he would certainly be an upgrade. I have heard that each day that goes on in Free Agency the bargaining potentially gets better. Perhaps a couple of more starters get signed, but for better deals.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:50 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So Roger Saffold failed his physical in Oakland. Guard opportunity in Miami? Or is this another Lance Louis in the making?

Rams guard Shelley Smith, who graded out quite well in PFF, has a scheduled visit with Miami.

I haven't heard anything more on running back news.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]