View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 How much is too much for Big Names? 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post How much is too much for Big Names?
I see guys like DeMarcus Ware getting cut & you have to wonder if we could use them. & in his case I can't imagine why he would consider returning for a discount when the Cowboys created this contract & new this situation would come.

So considering our team needs versus the wants, where would the price be right for these beg names?

Perfect example: Aqib Talib going to the Broncos for 6 years 57M. I would never consider him to be worth all of that. One because hes an inconsistent person & Two because we're not that CB needy.

So what about Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie? Would he be worth a 4 year contract for 28M in Miami?

DeMarcus Ware - I would think he's worth every bit of 8M a year. He would need to play OLB for us or we would need to trade a DE

Julius Peppers - I think 6M would be about right. This is only difficult because hes practically a legend. But the Bears over paid for him & he would ask for too much again. But hes 34 & I'm not sure where or how much he would play for the Dolphins

Derelle Revis - The Pats don't over pay for players but the rumors are flying on this one. If he got a deal for 4 years 48M, wouldn't he be worth that for us to have?

Justin Tuck - I figure hes on his last leg & we couldn't use him much. He just has a big name so hes on the list

LaMarr Woodley - A little difficult because we're handcuffed by Wheeler's contract & Woodley isn't young but I think he would be worth a 3 year 15M contract if we could swing it

Maurice Jones-Drew - Definitely worth a One year, possibly incentive laden deal for our team & him

Feel free to add to this list if you like. I just see these guys sorta sitting out there & my mind wanders

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:11 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: How much is too much for Big Names?
I know its not happening but just imagine Grimes and Revis lined up together.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I personally don't want any of them. I've started to tire of the Free Agent frenzy we endure every year, only to help us go nowhere.

It's about time we start building up our own guys and resigning them to big deals, rather than latching on to other teams trash.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:
I personally don't want any of them. I've started to tire of the Free Agent frenzy we endure every year, only to help us go nowhere.

It's about time we start building up our own guys and resigning them to big deals, rather than latching on to other teams trash.

I agree we need to develop more of our homegrown talent so we go into free agency needing one or two things, not 50... but we're normally not big players in free agency. Last year was the first time in a long time that the Dolphins splurged and this year besides Brandon Albert we've actually kept pretty quiet.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

While I agree that Miami needs to develop their own talent more its not like they are the Redskins of 10 years ago.

Free agent starters - Delmas (presumably), Grimes, Ellerbe, Wheeler (if still in Miami), Starks, Mitchell, Albert, Wallace, Gibson

Drafted starters - Tannehill, Miller (for now), Hartline, Clay, Pouncey, Wake (basically a UDFA), Vernon, Jordan (if replacing someone), Misi, Taylor (for now at least)

Its a pretty good mixture. Still possible that Miami starts a drafted guard and tackle to complete the OL.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:04 am

I've been happy with our moves so far this year. I think Hickey has shown a really good insight into the league, and already our team.

I've done a lot of work on the Dolphins NYC facebook page to keep them all grounded. Every guy that hits the market there's a new post saying, "LETS GET HIM!"

Fans ... oye !

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:06 am

Hickey appears to have played the defensive tackle market smartly...

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Hickey appears to have played the defensive tackle market smartly...

I think he's doing the same with OL. People can say Miami overpaid for Albert (I don't think 3 years - 25 million is bad at all) but Hickey has done well not handing out 5-6 million per year deals to pedestrian guards.

There are still cuts to be made.

Grimes, Keller and Clabo were all signed after the big waves for very team friendly deals. I imagine Miami will have that option for LB, CB, RB, TE and maybe OT again. Maybe McKinnie at RT?

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:15 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

What about Cortland Finnegan? I know its a tough sell because a lot of people probably view him as a trouble maker but I think its more on the field.

Hes a firey & a little dirty type of competitor. The kind of guy you wouldn't like to play but you like him when hes on your team.

3 years 20M sound good to anyone? The guy is a stud whens hes focused and working hard

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:56 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
While I agree that Miami needs to develop their own talent more its not like they are the Redskins of 10 years ago.

Free agent starters - Delmas (presumably), Grimes, Ellerbe, Wheeler (if still in Miami), Starks, Mitchell, Albert, Wallace, Gibson

Drafted starters - Tannehill, Miller (for now), Hartline, Clay, Pouncey, Wake (basically a UDFA), Vernon, Jordan (if replacing someone), Misi, Taylor (for now at least)

Its a pretty good mixture. Still possible that Miami starts a drafted guard and tackle to complete the OL.

I don't know if we have time to develop starters

We're in a tough spot, which we created frankly. We aren't one or two players away from being champs here. No one here, maybe Finesse, is expecting a Super Bowl run but will we at least having an improved record?

You have to think of what would you consider a successful season because certain things have to happen in order for Tannehill and Philbin to remain

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 am

Signing aging veterans, especially ones with issues like Finnegan, won't help anyone.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:20 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Steve Zissou wrote:
You have to think of what would you consider a successful season because certain things have to happen in order for Tannehill and Philbin to remain

For Philbin I'd say a 10-6 record and trip to the playoffs.

For Tannehill he needs an upper 80s QB rating, about the same or a few more TD passes with fewer interceptions. If the team is in position to win games it will negate the 4-5 desperation heaves he threw last year.

For Lazor he needs to develop Tannehill, move Wallace around to create mismatches, YAC and TDs, and to get one of the running back a 1000 yard season with at least 5-6 rushing TDs.

For Coyle, he needs to get the rushing defense to improve from 24th to at least top 15 while maintaining a solid pass defense.

I guess that is a start for success barometers.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 am

Steve Zissou wrote:
What about Cortland Finnegan? I know its a tough sell because a lot of people probably view him as a trouble maker but I think its more on the field.

Hes a firey & a little dirty type of competitor. The kind of guy you wouldn't like to play but you like him when hes on your team.

3 years 20M sound good to anyone? The guy is a stud whens hes focused and working hard

He fell off BIGTIME this season...

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:28 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
DeMarcus Ware - I would think he's worth every bit of 8M a year. He would need to play OLB for us or we would need to trade a DE

It would be silly for Miami to waste money on a DE with all the other needs on this team.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Quote:

It would be silly for Miami to waste money on a DE with all the other needs on this team.

Man . . . I dont think it'd be silly to ever sign a baller like Ware. Especially if they're already "exploring" trades for Wake & Jordan. & yeah, yeah I heard them deny it but I definitely would too if I were them

Rich wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

He fell off BIGTIME this season...

He definitely got paid and got too comfortable haha Doesn't mean he cant turn it around as easily, & be cheap for us

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

On the topic of "big" names...is anyone else here scratching their head at Denver's $57m Talib signing? Holy...the dude was ranked 58th out of 100 qualifying corners...what the hell do people see in this guy? These stories make me fall in love with people like Grimes, we really struck gold with him last season, class act and TEAM player mentality. Miami really lucked out with Grimes locked up.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't think Finnegan fits Philbins protocol as far as player attitude. I want us to go after Ben Tate because him and Miller trump Daniel Thomas and Miller. We still got some line work to do, but I figure thanks to Oakland we are going to do most of that in the draft.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

DanRambo wrote:
I don't think Finnegan fits Philbins protocol as far as player attitude. I want us to go after Ben Tate because him and Miller trump Daniel Thomas and Miller. We still got some line work to do, but I figure thanks to Oakland we are going to do most of that in the draft.

Tate is in Cleveland visiting with his old OC Shanahan.

Per Salguero it sounds like Miami is interested but won't overpay for a running back.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
I know its not happening but just imagine Grimes and Revis lined up together.

let me whipe the drool away and think about this lol

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:24 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
On the topic of "big" names...is anyone else here scratching their head at Denver's $57m Talib signing? Holy...the dude was ranked 58th out of 100 qualifying corners...what the hell do people see in this guy? These stories make me fall in love with people like Grimes, we really struck gold with him last season, class act and TEAM player mentality. Miami really lucked out with Grimes locked up.

I thought the same thing. Theres no way hes worth all that. & might I add, if he had off the field issues before . . Well he just moved to a state where the Bud abounds. Good luck with that Fox

They also just signed Ware. Sheesh! Theyre gonna be tough. I'm glad we didn't pay that much for guys who don't play full seasons

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]