All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: My first 5-round draft
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:31 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2895
I'm not the draft expert that many of you are, but with my limited knowledge and research, I came up with this for discussion's sake. I realize that the first 5 picks are all on offense, which makes it unlikely. It's fun to think about though...

Round One (#26 after trade with Browns): Carlos Hyde, RB Ohio State
Round Two (#50): Morgan Moses, OT Virginia
Round Three (#68 from Cleveland): Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE Washington
Round Three (#77): Dri Archer, WR/RB Kent State
Round Four (#116): Dakota Dozier, OG Furman
Round Five (# 155): Preston Brown, ILB Louisville


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:11 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 721
Its a nice draft but tbh I have 3 issues. 1. With Moreno being signed this makes the Hyde pick even less of a possibility then before and ESPECIALLY in the 1st but I can see it in the 2nd. As much as I like ASF I think that a stud wr will be more important like a Donte Moncrief who I expect to be there. Finally, Dri Archer to me is a talent but to me is at least a 4th rounder for us in ters of who will benefit us. With that second 3rd rounder it should be a pure stand up wr or a te like Philly used last season using 2 te's or 3/4 wrs to find constant mismatches. Now even though it seems like a lot it's not a bad draft just where they're selected is kind of iffy to me but if we trade with Cleveland id be happy as hell


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:16 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10419
Location: MA
That would be a pretty unreal haul. To be more realistic I think you would swap the positions of Hyde and Moses. If Seferian Jenkins is still on the board that deep in the 3rd its a steal.

My guess is Miami hopes Taylor Lewan slides to 19, but if not they are deciding between Zack Martin, Morgan Moses, CJ Mosely and maybe Ryan Shazier.

I'm wondering if Ross tipped people off by saying Miami will draft a right tackle. In the football world he doesn't appear sharp enough to deliver clever diversions. That is why when I read some guys talking about Morgan Moses at 19 I could totally buy it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:23 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 721
jammer wrote:
That would be a pretty unreal haul. To be more realistic I think you would swap the positions of Hyde and Moses. If Seferian Jenkins is still on the board that deep in the 3rd its a steal.

My guess is Miami hopes Taylor Lewan slides to 19, but if not they are deciding between Zack Martin, Morgan Moses, CJ Mosely and maybe Ryan Shazier.

I'm wondering if Ross tipped people off by saying Miami will draft a right tackle. In the football world he doesn't appear sharp enough to deliver clever diversions. That is why when I read some guys talking about Morgan Moses at 19 I could totally buy it.

To me at 19 Mosley won't be there, im reading so much of him going earlier now and with the lack of ilb I think he will. Shazier to me would be reaching and as much as I like him you juts dont reach in a draft this talented. Martin is weird as so many are picking him but it doesn't seem like the staff themselves seem to be sending this message that he's by far THEIR GUY. With Tannehill we knew it but not with this guy other then the fact that w eneed an o lineman so it makes me think they like others later. Moses is another reach at 19 and he may actually slip in the 2nd with a possible run on qbs, safeties and cbs so he actually may be there at 50


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:54 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm
Posts: 1329
I think we can easily take best player available with our first pick. If it's Ebron at TE, then we take a tight end if its Mosley at ilb then we take a linebacker.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:58 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10419
Location: MA
I've learned over the last few years not to assume how teams rank players. We all base our info off of the Mayock's and McShay's of the draft community. Nothing is going to surprise me with the way Miami drafts, but I have to admit Hickey has done a good job of identifying needs in free agency. I'm still a little surprised they left such a glaring hole on the right side of the line but it was pretty obvious they weren't going to overpay for those spots. Its why I get the hunch they feel a guy like Lewan could slide right to them.

Trades are obviously the biggest monkey wrench in any draft, but this year we won't know squat until we saw how teams feel about the top 3-4 QBs. I've read enough to see that its possible even Derrick Carr goes top 20. If Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel go top 10 then some darn good prospects will slide.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:08 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2895
Thanks for the feedback ag.
As for taking Hyde in the first, I think that with Moreno only on a 1 year show me deal, it's still a possibility. If Moreno is great, we can extend him and have a terrific 1-2 punch. If Moreno isn't worth extending then we'll have the future on a rookie contract. Also, I don't think Hyde will get past Houston at the top of the second. All that said, you're probably right; we prob won't take him in the first..

I didn't post this because I believe it will happen, but just for discussion, so thanks for your 2 cents.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
jammer wrote:
I've learned over the last few years not to assume how teams rank players. We all base our info off of the Mayock's and McShay's of the draft community. Nothing is going to surprise me with the way Miami drafts, but I have to admit Hickey has done a good job of identifying needs in free agency. I'm still a little surprised they left such a glaring hole on the right side of the line but it was pretty obvious they weren't going to overpay for those spots. Its why I get the hunch they feel a guy like Lewan could slide right to them.

Trades are obviously the biggest monkey wrench in any draft, but this year we won't know squat until we saw how teams feel about the top 3-4 QBs. I've read enough to see that its possible even Derrick Carr goes top 20. If Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel go top 10 then some darn good prospects will slide.



Even with the legal issues he is dealing with, I just don't see Lewan getting to Miami. Never say never, especially with the draft, but I don't think Lewan or Ebron get to Miami. If Miami were to trade down, Carlos Hyde could certainly be a consideration. If he get's out of the 1st round, he will go early 2nd round.

I think Dri Archer could go 3rd round, 4th at the latest. I think Mosely will get to Miami at #19, and if he does, he is going to be a consideration.

I like the players you have in mind though.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:16 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 721
k-dash wrote:
Thanks for the feedback ag.
As for taking Hyde in the first, I think that with Moreno only on a 1 year show me deal, it's still a possibility. If Moreno is great, we can extend him and have a terrific 1-2 punch. If Moreno isn't worth extending then we'll have the future on a rookie contract. Also, I don't think Hyde will get past Houston at the top of the second. All that said, you're probably right; we prob won't take him in the first..

I didn't post this because I believe it will happen, but just for discussion, so thanks for your 2 cents.

I feel you, heres my thing thugh since you bring up Houston I think they hold the key to how this whole 1st round goes. People have them taking a qb but the best talent is Clowney and with him and Watt leading that d and Foster leading the offense they can draft a qb later who many teams like with that 2nd round pick especially since they dont need a rb that badly. NOW if they take Clowney then Oak, TB, Cleveland, Tenn, Jack, Minn and possibly a sleeper team will look and say "we didn't expect this qb to drop to us". I think at least 2 are guaranteed to slide a little and then it becomes do you take the qb or the bpa because I dont think any of these guys are top 10 guys. That will make it interesting and then by the 19th pick we'll be surprised possibly who's there and thats what makes this draft special because it's so loaded so this will be fun


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:25 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10419
Location: MA
phinsfansc wrote:
Even with the legal issues he is dealing with, I just don't see Lewan getting to Miami. Never say never, especially with the draft, but I don't think Lewan or Ebron get to Miami. If Miami were to trade down, Carlos Hyde could certainly be a consideration. If he get's out of the 1st round, he will go early 2nd round.

I think Dri Archer could go 3rd round, 4th at the latest. I think Mosely will get to Miami at #19, and if he does, he is going to be a consideration.

I like the players you have in mind though.


That is the beauty of this draft. Someone very good is going to be there for Miami, even if it isn't a position of need.

I know everyone keeps saying reach, but if Lewan and Martin are gone I could see Miami being very tempted to take Morgan Moses.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4826
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
jammer wrote:
My guess is Miami hopes Taylor Lewan slides to 19, but if not they are deciding between Zack Martin, Morgan Moses, CJ Mosely and maybe Ryan Shazier.


That's the way to go.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:48 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:
My guess is Miami hopes Taylor Lewan slides to 19, but if not they are deciding between Zack Martin, Morgan Moses, CJ Mosely and maybe Ryan Shazier.


That's the way to go.


Mosely is an interesting pick at 19. Adding him would allow Miami to move Ellerbe to the outside and free Miami up to trade Misi. But I just don't see it happening. I think we're going to see the trio of Ellerbe, Misi, and Wheeler get one more crack at it.

I'm hoping our draft plays out like this:
1st - Eric Ebron - TE - North Carolina
2nd - Morgan Moses - OT - Virginia
3rd - Donte Moncrief - WR - Ole Miss
4th - Cyril Richardson - OG - Baylor
5th - Craig Loston - SS - LSU
6th - Seantrel Henderson - OT - Miami
UDFA - Kapri Bibbs - RB - Colorado State
UDFA - Spencer Long - OG - Nebraska
UDFA - Jeff Mathews - QB - Cornell
UDFA - Jabari Price - CB - North Carolina
UDFA - Glenn Carson - ILB - Penn State


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26256
Location: Miami, FL
Henderson from the U is another one of those top recruits who looks shaky at UM but wouldn't surprise me if he thrives in the NFL.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:55 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10419
Location: MA
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:
My guess is Miami hopes Taylor Lewan slides to 19, but if not they are deciding between Zack Martin, Morgan Moses, CJ Mosely and maybe Ryan Shazier.


That's the way to go.


I agree. With Philbin's comments about consistency at the position and Mosely's reputation as just a solid, play immediately type, the pick would make a heck of a lot of sense.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:06 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Rich wrote:
Henderson from the U is another one of those top recruits who looks shaky at UM but wouldn't surprise me if he thrives in the NFL.


Yep, I'm hoping we take him in the latter rounds. He's a guy that will absolutely make an NFL roster in my opinion. While he may never be an elite left tackle, the kid absolutely has the upside to become a good right tackle with the ability to slide over and play the left side in a pinch. He's one of those "dancing bear" types. If you noticed, my mock has us taking Morgan Moses, Cyril Richardson, and Seantrel Henderson. All three are big guys similar in build to Branden Albert. With Moses I think you have a starting RT right out of the box. With Richardson, I think you have a starting right guard right out of the box who can also play right tackle. With Henderson, you have a guy that can play either tackle position. Versatility is the name of the game.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r