View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Dolphins will still draft a runningback 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins will still draft a runningback
and I think there's a good chance that it's Towson's Terence West in round 4.

Quote:
Dolphins running back coach Jeff Nixon, on the road meeting with and scouting running backs, conducted a private workout with Towson's Terrance West last Wednesday.

"The Dolphins running backs coach [Nixon] likes me a lot. He told me I was high on his board of college running backs," West wrote in his draft diary for the Baltimore Sun.

"We did board work and met and talked and went over some different plays. It was a good background meeting and we got to know each other.""

And that leads me to this:

Despite the fact the Dolphins just signed Knowshon Moreno, despite the fact they like Lamar Miller, I'm told the personnel department would still like to add one more running back -- likely somewhere between the fourth-fifth rounds -- to add juice and get more talent in the backfield.

That player, from what is considered a deep running back class in this draft, must have one of the following abilities:

He needs to make defenders miss.

Or he needs to be able to break tackles (run through tackles) when the running is hard -- such as in the fourth quarter protecting a lead.

The Dolphins want a clock killer. Sure, they'd take a dynamic, big-play runner. But just as valuable later in the draft is a back who can go in with the team up a field goal with four minutes to play and run the ball against a defense that knows the Dolphins are going to run the ball ... and still gain yardage.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:43 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins will still draft a runningback
nice quick cuts for a back of his size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3P8AiFO5CU

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:46 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It all depends on what we're doing with Daniel Thomas. If we decide to cut or trade him, then I absolutely think we should draft another runningback. But if we decide to keep him, then I think we would be better served to pick up an undrafted free agent. This years draft is very deep at runningback. It isn't out of the question that we could find a diamond in the rough and get him for nothing. My personal favorite option is Kapr Bibbs from Colorado State. The kid put up amazing numbers this year (31 touchdowns and 1,741 yards) and likely will go in either the 7th or completely undrafted. I'm hoping the Dolphins snatch him up.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I heard Ireland was the only thing keeping Thomas around in Miami.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:52 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I wouldn't be too surprised to see us draft a RB as high as 2nd-3rd round, Moreno is a stop gap imo, I think they view their RB stable as not having a true starting RB, until the signing of Moreno, and are looking for a starter, DT is not a great runner and Miller is a great runner in space but that's all he does well, so I can see them prioritizing RB in this draft.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:53 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
At least 22 organizations were present for Towson RB Terrance West's Pro Day.
West chose to stand on his combine numbers, but worked out during positional drills. Scouts came away impressed by how speedy and smooth West is at 225 pounds. He also displayed natural hands and route running ability despite rarely being used in the Towson passing game. West projects as a third- to fourth-round pick

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I have only watched his highligh videos, but like the way he runs.
He has good vision, and can really makes some nice cuts for a big RB. Also showed some good blocking on passing plays.

Looks like a good option to replace Thomas.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:22 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think Bishop sankey could be lazors new leshawn mccoy

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:18 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think Bibbs will get drafted a little earlier than 7. He had a great year. Some options for later rounds or undrafted that are chain movers and tackle breakers

Damien Williams (OU)
Tyler Gaffney (Stanford)
Lorenzo Taliaferra (Coastal Carolina)

All big with decent speed and one more....Andre Williams (Boston College) is a beast but not that good in passing game.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

we need a big bruising 230lb.+.......a guy that hurts to tackle in the cold come playoff time.

we already have two speed guys.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:37 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Kev1321 wrote:
we need a big bruising 230lb.+.......a guy that hurts to tackle in the cold come playoff time.

Jeremy Hills my guy and he beat many guys at rb for LSU to be the man there by far so he thrives in competition

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:45 am

Kev1321 wrote:

Sign me up for that as well, I think that RB is taking too much of a back seat in this supposedly new passing NFL, a big bruising RB still does the same thing he has always done, wear down the D.

If we look at last years SB, the new style NFL team went up against the old school style NFL team and the Old school team stomped a mud hole in 'em and walked it dry.

When we talk about MVPs, where would Seattle have been without Beastmode..., sitting home watching the SB in all likelihood.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:11 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Finster wrote:
Sign me up for that as well, I think that RB is taking too much of a back seat in this supposedly new passing NFL, a big bruising RB still does the same thing he has always done, wear down the D.

If we look at last years SB, the new style NFL team went up against the old school style NFL team and the Old school team stomped a mud hole in 'em and walked it dry.

When we talk about MVPs, where would Seattle have been without Beastmode..., sitting home watching the SB in all likelihood.

The Seahawks are definitely a throw back team and prove this kind of football still wins games in December.

Actually, if you look at the overall list of recent champs, many (not all) of them still played tough defense and ran the ball late in the season to get that ring.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

yup, you still have to pack your lunchbox, running game and defense to advance in the cold postseason.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:17 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 20m
Auburn RB Tre Mason and Wisconsin RB James White are also at Davie today working out with the Dolphins.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]