Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Quote:
The Miami Dolphins won't begin the team's official OTA workouts until the end of April, but numerous players are already at the team's Davie facility twice a week running routes, getting a jump start on the new offense Bill Lazor will be installing.

The guy coordinating these workouts is none other than quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who is entering his third season as the team's starter.

"When the quarterback says anything you listen," said Dolphins receiver Rishard Matthews, who said the workouts are entering their third week and have been picking up from a pace standpoint.

Tannehill's teaching players like Matthews Lazor's new offense, schemes and terminology because coaches aren't allow to work with players during the NFL's dead period, which is ongoing.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... l+Blogs%29

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:50 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Funny question but I wonder which guys are there considering Hartline, Gibson and Binns are on the mend.

Obviously Matthews, but curious if Wallace, Clay, Egnew and Sims are there as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Funny question but I wonder which guys are there considering Hartline, Gibson and Binns are on the mend.

Obviously Matthews, but curious if Wallace, Clay, Egnew and Sims are there as well.

I think since the Dolphins are installing a new offense, all of them would be there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

phinsfansc wrote:
jammer wrote:

I think since the Dolphins are installing a new offense, all of them would be there.

You'd hope so. Spoke too soon without thinking. I guess my question should have been who is running routes since 3/5 of the WRs are nursing knee injuries. Given Mike Wallace isn't shy I thought maybe he'd tweet out something about working with Tannehill.

Just glad to see Tannehill has the guys out there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:35 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

I know he did this last off season as well and it did not pay off like we would have hoped but I am confident that it will pay off big time for this season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

And come to find out Mike Wallace has not been at these workouts. I realize its only April and not time to overreact, but wouldn't you think with a new offense and the criticisms you'd be putting in the extra work?

Bad optics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:59 am 

jammer wrote:
And come to find out Mike Wallace has not been at these workouts. I realize its only April and not time to overreact, but wouldn't you think with a new offense and the criticisms you'd be putting in the extra work?

Bad optics.

Let's keep blaming Tannehill for Mike Wallace's failures.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Bad optics.

Let's keep blaming Tannehill for Mike Wallace's failures.

Its why I asked the question of who is there running routes since most of the guys are hurt. I can see film room and playbook study by everyone, but if Matthews is the only WR running routes...

As someone else pointed out, Tannehill and Hartline warmed up every game together. You saw the results. Wallace said he had his own routine. Also, you can't spend every practice working on deep route timing. Now is a great time to get some rhythm going.

Maybe La Canfora is on to something...okay, maybe overreation but it felt good to say it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

There are no DB's banging the recievers at the line, disrupting timing. No defense closing in on the QB, forcing a throw early or lat, or on the run...

Its a glorified game of catch. Im not to worried about who is there and who is not... Wallace stands to loose a lot more than Matthews if he gets injured out there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

10acjed wrote:
Wallace stands to loose a lot more than Matthews if he gets injured out there.

How so?

And yeah, I get your point about not overreacting but the purpose of this isn't to just play catch. Its learning plays, positioning and seeing each other's tendencies.

I agree that this isn't going to make or break the season, but little things can help an offense looking for an identity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 am 

10acjed wrote:
There are no DB's banging the recievers at the line, disrupting timing. No defense closing in on the QB, forcing a throw early or lat, or on the run...

Its a glorified game of catch. Im not to worried about who is there and who is not... Wallace stands to loose a lot more than Matthews if he gets injured out there.

If it is just a glorified game of catch, then why do so many successful quarterbacks get together with their receivers in the offseason, especially when they are joining a new team (see Peyton Manning when he first joined the Broncos) to develop chemistry with their wideouts.

Why did Mike Wallace say he and Tannehill should have done this last season and blamed himself for it not happening?

It's not just a game of catch. Tannehill is getting a head start on showing his receivers the new playbook.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:12 am 

... and MIke Wallace is not. I question his work ethic - everyone blame's Tanne , but this kid if of a dying breed known as the diva receiver.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:20 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
If it is just a glorified game of catch, then why do so many successful quarterbacks get together with their receivers in the offseason, especially when they are joining a new team (see Peyton Manning when he first joined the Broncos) to develop chemistry with their wideouts.

Why did Mike Wallace say he and Tannehill should have done this last season and blamed himself for it not happening?

It's not just a game of catch. Tannehill is getting a head start on showing his receivers the new playbook.

If Manning was the QB I am pretty sure Wallace would be there...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:23 pm 

Thank you for the completely relevant response.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:02 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Your welcome

:haha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:01 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hopefully this work shows up on Sundays this year and the Dolphins finally finish a season over .500. 10-6 and a trip to the playoffs would be a huge step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:38 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Good to hear this going on. Any time gaining chemistry is better than no time. When I played QB I loved playing catch with the receivers..I could learn where I could palce the ball with each guy..learn their jumping abilities and how far they can go out for a ball, their balance tendencies, also learn little hand signals to look for if the WR spots a gap in the coverage....we always prepared and it payed off.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:05 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

DanRambo wrote:
Good to hear this going on. Any time gaining chemistry is better than no time. When I played QB I loved playing catch with the receivers..I could learn where I could palce the ball with each guy..learn their jumping abilities and how far they can go out for a ball, their balance tendencies, also learn little hand signals to look for if the WR spots a gap in the coverage....we always prepared and it payed off.

Where did you play?

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]