View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Nine players headed for a bigger role: Dion Jordan 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Nine players headed for a bigger role: Dion Jordan
Quote:
Marc Sessler took a look last week at five offensive players ready for a bigger role in 2014. It's time to focus on the defense.

Many of the players below are filling jobs vacated by starters who left via free agency. A number of second-year players on the list were brought along slowly as rookies. With mandated four-year rookie contracts and the spectre of free agency loooming over every contract, teams can't afford to let players stay on the bench for long.

Dion Jordan, Miami Dolphins defensive end: The Dolphins' defensive coaching staff brought Jordan along slowly last year. We'd argue they were too cautious; at times it appeared they didn't have a plan for him. Jordan is a rare talent, but his skill set isn't that different from Jamie Collins, the New England Patriots' second-round pick who exploded late last season. He can rush the passer, play multiple positions and even drop into coverage.

The Dolphins insist they have big plans for Jordan despite the presence of Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon at defensive end. The team needs to get more creative in getting Jordan on the field. They should just trade Jordan to his old buddy Chip Kelly if they don't plan on it. If Jordan struggles to make an impact again, it's an indictment of the entire staff.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... le-defense

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:09 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Nine players headed for a bigger role: Dion Jordan
Yawn....

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
They should just trade Jordan to his old buddy Chip Kelly if they don't plan on it.

I am a big fan of this kid and I see he could potentially be utilized similar to Von Miller (Not saying he is as good) but if Miami doesn't plan to start him and turn him loose, I am not opposed to snagging Philly's 22nd pick IF Chip Kelly comes after him.

To me, Jordan looks like he could be a game changer for the defense with his speed, now let's see how he is used this season.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:
They should just trade Jordan to his old buddy Chip Kelly if they don't plan on it.

I am a big fan of this kid and I see he could potentially be utilized similar to Von Miller (Not saying he is as good) but if Miami doesn't plan to start him and turn him loose, I am not opposed to snagging Philly's 22nd pick IF Chip Kelly comes after him.

To me, Jordan looks like he could be a game changer for the defense with his speed, now let's see how he is used this season.

At the very least this guy should be used like Julian Peterson was, remember him? A tall, thin pass rushing linebacker, but the Niners and Lions used him all over the field in coverage too. He was also an athletic freak.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:49 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Julian Peterson played OLB in a 4-3.

Dion Jordan reminds me of him. We should try him out at OLB.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Julian Peterson played OLB in a 4-3.

Dion Jordan reminds me of him. We should try him out at OLB.

Just curious .... how many 6'6-6'7 linebackers are there in the NFL?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Interesting question and I'm not finding a good resource with that information.

Dion Jordan is 6'6' and there is a 6'6 linebacker (Adrian Hubbard) in the 2014 draft along with three 6'5 linebackers (Trent Murphy, Trevor Reilly, Anthony Barr).

There were no linebackers taller than 6'4 in the 2013 draft.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:46 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

One of the all time greats Ted Hendricks was 6'7 and played for the Raiders in the 70's and earlyt 80's. Known as the Stork.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]