View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Brandon Gibson on the Road to Recovery 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Brandon Gibson on the Road to Recovery
Quote:
It’s been a lengthy rehabilitation process from injury for Miami Dolphins receiver Brandon Gibson. His 2013 season took an unexpected turn in Week 8 when he landed awkwardly on his left knee against the New England Patriots. Gibson, who only missed three games from 2010-2012, tore his patellar tendon and was done for the season.

Before the injury Gibson was off to a fast start and had five receptions or more in four of his seven games with the Dolphins. He was quickly developing a rapport as a dependable safety valve for Miami quarterback Ryan Tannehill. However, Gibson was forced to watch from the sideline for the final nine games as the Dolphins faltered down the stretch and missed the playoffs for the fifth consecutive season.

I caught up with Gibson over the weekend to get his thoughts on rehab and the Dolphins.

“It was just frustrating from the fact that I really wanted to help the team,” Gibson said in a telephone interview. “Watching from the sideline, upstairs from the box and from my coach I felt helpless. I’ve learned a lot as far as patience. It was a humbling experience, and I just really value to chance to play football again. I think it’s incredible.”

Gibson was cautious to provide a specific date on his recovery. But the receiver said he "definitely" expects to be ready by Week 1 of the regular season.

Gibson spent the first six weeks on crutches after surgery. He's about five months removed from the knee injury and is at the point where he's doing light jogging.

“The important thing is to not overstress your patellar tendon; It's involved in everything you do, really,” Gibson explained. “It connects a lot, your knee and your quad. So I basically was on bed rest for a while, a couple months. The only thing I was doing was just rehabbing and little bit of upper-body work. You don’t want to cause too much heavy stress on your knee, but I’m slowly getting into things.”

The Dolphins will have no shortage of wide receivers once everyone is healthy. Starters Brian Hartline and Mike Wallace combined for 1,946 yards last season. Gibson, who had 30 receptions in 2013, is expected to compete with Rishard Matthews in the slot. Matthews caught 41 passes and filled in for Gibson last season after Gibson’s knee injury. Third-year veteran Armon Binns also is returning from a torn ACL last summer, and the Dolphins added receivers Kevin Cone and Michael Rios in free agency.

The Dolphins are in the process of installing a new offense in 2014. First-year offensive coordinator Bill Lazor replaced former assistant Mike Sherman this offseason. Lazor is expected to bring a more exciting, up-tempo version of the West Coast offense.

Coaches are not allowed to communicate with players until the voluntary offseason workout program officially begins April 21. Therefore, Gibson said he's not 100-percent certain of his role this upcoming season but expects to play in the slot for the second year in a row. Gibson learned the position for the first time last year after playing outside with the St. Louis Rams.

“It will be my second year playing in the slot and to me it’s not a big deal,” Gibson said. “All the routes end up being similar, it’s just a different feel to them. There’s more trash you have to sort, and you learn more blitz stuff to be on the same page. But I think it’s something I can excel at. I don’t think there’s a receiver position I can’t play. I just have to work hard and make sure I’m where I need to be.”

The 2014 season is important for many in the Dolphins organization. Head coach Joe Philbin is 15-17 and has yet to have a winning season. It is also the first year under new general manager Dennis Hickey.

Miami missed the playoffs by one game last year and made key additions such as left tackle Branden Albert, running back Knowshon Moreno and safety Louis Delmas. The Dolphins will enter this season with postseason expectations. But it will not be easy in an improved AFC East division where the New England Patriots, New York Jets and Buffalo Bills have all made upgrades to their rosters. The Dolphins will need all hands on deck.

“We will do whatever it takes,” Gibson said of the Dolphins' mindset. “We feel like this team is very complete. They’ve done a good job in the front office to put together a good team that can compete on all three sides with special teams and go a long way.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/ ... o-recovery

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Brandon Gibson on the Road to Recovery
If Gibson would've stayed healthy I think he would've had double digit tds. He was that good at that time and with Hartline and Wallace with Clay we would've made the playoffs and ate the Bengals alive then everybody would be excited for the future

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
If Gibson would've stayed healthy I think he would've had double digit tds. He was that good at that time and with Hartline and Wallace with Clay we would've made the playoffs and ate the Bengals alive then everybody would be excited for the future

An offensive line up with Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, Charles Clay, and Dustin Keller would've definitely put this team in the playoffs last season when you talk about missing out by only a single game.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:38 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

An offensive line up with Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, Charles Clay, and Dustin Keller would've definitely put this team in the playoffs last season when you talk about missing out by only a single game.

Even without Keller the offense was working by the time Gibson got hurt. I think he had 2 games in a row with 2 td catches and that had me HYPED. Matthews stepped up too and it made me say wow this offense can be great and this is with a bad o line

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Gibson and keller had nothing to do with losing out on the playoffs. Clay played spectactular and everything thrown at matthews was caught

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Manhattan wrote:
Gibson and keller had nothing to do with losing out on the playoffs. Clay played spectactular and everything thrown at matthews was caught

I didnt say that was why im saying if Gibson was there he would've stayed hot and been the team leader in tds by far. Who else was having multiple 2 td catch games back to back like he was?

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Manhattan wrote:

Really...? You don't think adding two more play makers to the fold would've made any difference whatsoever? Ok.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

As far as making the playoffs, yes...keller and gibson dont play oline. Matthews ptetty mich had identical stats through 7 games that gibson had and clay was the best receiver on offense so how would keller playing effect that?

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:07 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

The same roster beat better teams leading up to the final two weeks, no Gibson, no Keller. The team as a whole laid down, and IMO its a direct reflection of the coaching staff, not injuries.

That being said I think a healthy Keller may have changed some other games early on, of course thats based on believing Sherman would have dialed up different plays to fit his strengths. So it may just be a fantasy...

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Manhattan wrote:
As far as making the playoffs, yes...keller and gibson dont play oline. Matthews ptetty mich had identical stats through 7 games that gibson had and clay was the best receiver on offense so how would keller playing effect that?

I'm only going off of memory here and don't have the stats to prove it, but I recall Clay being more of a short yardage guy who broke tackles and took quick passes up field. Keller could have been more a seam threat, even though he is about the same height.

Overall I sort of agree with you. I don't think the drop off from Gibson to Matthews was that big, nor do I think Clay was a bad substitute for Keller. But Gibson was building chemistry with Tannehill and that lack of a seam threat took away part of the field. Part of me thinks the offense would have produced a little better with those two in the lineup.

As for the team winning, well it would still be a one dimensional offense with a bad o-line and a QB who couldn't make up for it. Tough to tell.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:24 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Good to hear that Gibson may be ready to go, he did seem to be clicking quite well with Tanne, not sure Keller would have been much of a factor since Clay is a very similar player but, and this is the scary part, is a much better blocker, ouch babe, I mean Clay isn't that good of a blocker but Keller is truly pathetic, his effort in that area is at times appalling which is why Rexy let him walk and why I never liked the signing, it's not like Keller was setting the world on fire with the Jets as some seam busting monster and he was an absolute liability as a blocker.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:58 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Finster wrote:
it's not like Keller was setting the world on fire with the Jets as some seam busting monster and he was an absolute liability as a blocker.

Agree that Keller lacked as a blocker. I think everyone knows that.

But you downplay his ability in the passing game. First of all, his catch, yard and TD numbers were improving every season up until 2011 when he had 65 catches for 815 yards and 5 TDs. Those numbers would have put him top 10 in 2013 at the tight end position.

Obviously, his numbers dropped in 2012 as he missed time due to injury.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:11 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
it's not like Keller was setting the world on fire with the Jets as some seam busting monster and he was an absolute liability as a blocker.

But you downplay his ability in the passing game. First of all, his catch, yard and TD numbers were improving every season up until 2011 when he had 65 catches for 815 yards and 5 TDs. Those numbers would have put him top 10 in 2013 at the tight end position.

And even with that injury, playing in 8 games he was pretty much equal with Fasano's 16 game stats in the passing game. I would have to imagine the "plan" was for Keller to be involved in the passing aspect while Clay and others would be utilized in blocking and short yardage plays..

Still in hindsight, I think the end of the season it came down to coaching, not personnel. The same 53 were on the field for the final weeks, and those last 2 games were just dreadful..

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Manhattan wrote:

Losing two offensive weapons was definitely a set back. I agree the poor offensive line was the major problem with Miami last year. But losing Keller and Gibson definitely hurt. Having a healthy Keller attacking defenses down the middle on seam routes would have been fantastic and would have freed up Wallace, Hartline & Clay even more by causing one on one coverage. Gibson had become Tannehills safety valve. There is no doubt that being able to rotate 6 offensive weapons into the game is more beneficial than rotating 4.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:11 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The Keller loss was huge in my eyes. We knew about Clay...we knew he had the ability to make plays because he had shown that the year previous, his only downside was he would drop some WIDE open passes. In his short lived preseason Keller found the endzone. And this is nothing against Clay at all...I like his ability a lot.

But if you're talking about how the team would've fared, there would have been times where we had Keller and Clay in at the same time...blocking aside, that's two scary targets if Tannehill gets the throw off!!!

With Gibson I think back to the 4th down play against Baltimore when he made that great acrobatic catch mid field only for Tannehill to squander a lot of time getting the ball hiked, and then Strugis missing the 57 yarder. He would get open and could catch. He makes the TD catch Wallace dropped to win us that game (Can't remember who we played...Carolina maybe? IDR) more times than Wallace will.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

I wasn't trying to downplay Keller's ability, he's a good receiving TE, I was trying to say that he isn't an elite receiving TE and that his blocking is even worse than Egnew simply due to lack of effort, that combined with the fact that Clay caught 69 passes for 760yds and 6 TDs and is a similar player I think with either guy you get similar results except that Clay is a little more versatile.

I don't think you would see too much of them together on the field due to their similarity and the blocking problems that would present, I think Keller was signed because no one knew that Clay was going to make that jump from 18 catches to 69, if they knew that ahead of time imo they would never have signed Keller to that 1 year deal, I don't think he was ever in the long term plans, of course that is just imo.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Finster wrote:
I don't think you would see too much of them together on the field due to their similarity and the blocking problems that would present, I think Keller was signed because no one knew that Clay was going to make that jump from 18 catches to 69, if they knew that ahead of time imo they would never have signed Keller to that 1 year deal, I don't think he was ever in the long term plans, of course that is just imo.

As teams started seeing what Clay could do, they began focusing their defense on him more. His numbers the last three games tell the story.

Would teams be able to focus on Clay that much if a healthy Keller was also on the field? Or how about a healthy Keller and a healthy Gibson?

Throw in Wallace and Hartline and who do you cover on 3rd down out of the shotgun? The deep speed receiver, the two short to intermediate route running receivers, or the two tight ends that can run faster than your linebackers and outfight your defensive backs for the ball?

You can never have too many weapons for the QB.

That being said, Keller's knee is minced meat so this is all shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Would teams be able to focus on Clay that much if a healthy Keller was also on the field? Or how about a healthy Keller and a healthy Gibson?

Throw in Wallace and Hartline and who do you cover on 3rd down out of the shotgun? The deep speed receiver, the two short to intermediate route running receivers, or the two tight ends that can run faster than your linebackers and outfight your defensive backs for the ball?

You can never have too many weapons for the QB.

That's the point I was trying to make Rich. A defense can't double team everyone. Having a healthy Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Clay and Keller would create mismatches somewhere.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

That's why I would be cool with drafting an Ebron or an Amaro high. I like Clay but he's hardly dominant. But if the defense is forced to cover so many weapons, someone will break free for a big play.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:20 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

They may cut him. He's not going to be ready until September.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:54 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:

Don't tell me you came to that conclusion because of the recent rotoworld article lmao.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:42 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

Don't tell me you came to that conclusion because of the recent rotoworld article lmao.

LOL. That is just Andrew Abramson speculating Miami's depth chart. RotoWorld just ran with the story based on the following.

Andrew Abramson wrote:
So the slot receiver will also see time on the outside. But the team’s slot job should be one of the more interesting battles in camp. Assuming Brian Hartline is fully recovered from his PCL injury, the outside jobs are locked up. Right now I have Matthews ahead of Gibson for the slot. Not only is Gibson coming off midseason knee surgery, but Matthews really stepped up late in the season. Gibson was also playing well before he was hurt, but Matthews could very well surpass him.

The Dolphins could also consider releasing Gibson, who’s owed $3.7 million this season. If he’s cut, Miami would owe him about $2 million but free up $1.3 million in new cap space.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... pth-chart/

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

LOL. That is just Andrew Abramson speculating Miami's depth chart. RotoWorld just ran with the story based on the following.

Andrew Abramson wrote:
So the slot receiver will also see time on the outside. But the team’s slot job should be one of the more interesting battles in camp. Assuming Brian Hartline is fully recovered from his PCL injury, the outside jobs are locked up. Right now I have Matthews ahead of Gibson for the slot. Not only is Gibson coming off midseason knee surgery, but Matthews really stepped up late in the season. Gibson was also playing well before he was hurt, but Matthews could very well surpass him.

The Dolphins could also consider releasing Gibson, who’s owed $3.7 million this season. If he’s cut, Miami would owe him about $2 million but free up $1.3 million in new cap space.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... pth-chart/

That "news" is almost too stupid to acknowledge lol

Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]