View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 draft priorities 

What 3 positions do you absolutely want to see us draft in 2014?
OT 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
OG 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
QB 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
RB 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
WR 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
TE 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
ILB 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
S 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
CB 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 42

draft priorities 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

draft priorities
The way I figure it, regardless of the order, I would hope that the Dolphins' draft haul would include these positions:

OT
OG
ILB
WR
S
RB
QB

Now that being said, I know that some would like us to take Ebron if he's available. Others would insist that we should take more than one OT prospect. As a matter of fact, the only positions we would seem unlikely to draft are C, FB, DT, DE, OLB, P and K. Obviously that leaves us more needs than draft picks.

For that reason, I can imagine that Hickey is hoping we can trade down and pick up an extra pick.
To me, the priorities that are most important to address in the draft are:

OT, OG, ILB, S, QB, WR

The needs at tackle and guard are obvious. If we can find an upgrade at ILB we can move Ellerbe over to OLB where I think he could flourish. At safety, Delmas' injury history makes me nervous. With both Moore and Devlin in contract years, and RT perhaps needing some legit long-term competition, a QB makes a lot of sense. I am of the opinion that you take a QB every year, anyway. In a draft so deep and talented at WR, it would be foolhardy to not draft one, especially with the injuries our starters are rehabbing from.

The wildcard is what needs we could still fill through veteran free agents. We could for example get a stop-gap RT or WR from the veteran pool, but I hope we don't rely on that route.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:31 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: draft priorities
I agree with everything you said man but consider this. The te spot isn't a NEED per se but if you added more depth there that we really need anyway with Clay it can elevate the offense to the next level. I thought if Egnew would've worked out he'd bring the Jermichael Finley aspect to the team and make us even more lethal. Now I considered whats in the draft and what we can get in fa for now on and I think that the priorities are ot, og, s, wr, te, qb and ilb. Before anybody goes off I know we need an ilb but a guy who can stop the run and cover is hard to find at that position right now so tbh I would try and find a guy in fa and hope that works for us because the draft is very much lacking there

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:

OT, OG, ILB, S, QB, WR

That about sums it up.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
k-dash wrote:

OT, OG, ILB, S, QB, WR

That about sums it up.

Same choices for me. We need the offensive line help, anyone in the world can see it. If we come out of this draft with 3 offensive lineman I'd be happy.

I chose Inside Linebacker over all the other options because I feel it's the weakest of the options listed. The Ellerbe and Wheeler show was a disaster last year, and we need to get better to get that defense back to form.

The other positions aren't really a huge need in my eyes. Late round flyers at WR, RB and TE would be fine by me. Charles Clay was pretty darn good last year, would like to see what more he can do. Plus we still have Dion Simms and we may bring back Keller.

The WR spot has Wallace, Hartline, Gibson and Matthews. Happy with that foursome, with hopes that Gibson can stay healthy... the offense seemed more dynamic with him there.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

still need another runningback too.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:05 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

What I really like about where we are going into the draft is that Hickey seems to have done a nice job in filling in some holes. That means that we can pick the best player available in the first round and not have to have a certain position. And, of course, we do need an offensive lineman with one of our first two picks, but I do like that we have options.

I am also expecting our 2013 draft to step up this year.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]