View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Miami has had conversations with JerMichael Finley 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Miami has had conversations with JerMichael Finley
This is from ProFootballTalk.com. If he get's clearance, I would love this signing. A bigger version of Charles Clay, and very productive. Phibin obviously is fine with this since the Dolphins are pursuing him.

Tight end Jermichael Finley is having another X-ray and MRI on his injured neck in the next two weeks as part of the process that he hopes will end with medical clearanceclearance to return to the NFL.

He’ll be looking for a team to sign with if he should get that clearance and the Dolphins could find themselves in the mix. Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that the team has had conversations with Finley’s agent about possible interest in his client this offseason.

Finley played for Dolphins coach Joe Philbin when Philbin was the offensive coordinator in Green Bay, which led to mentions of the Dolphins as a free agent suitor for Finley before he was lost for the season in 2013. Charles Clay, Dion Sims and Michael Egnew handled the position for the Dolphins last year in the wake of Dustin Keller’s knee injury.

Finley visited with the Seahawks earlier this offseason, but the lack of medical clearance kept him from signing in Seattle and will keep Finley on the market a while longer.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:37 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Miami has had conversations with JerMichael Finley
If he gets clearence I think we get him if we really want him. The only problem is the draft is coming so Dolphins have to really learn if they want to wait or draft a guy first

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Just as long as it's a 1-year deal.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:57 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

swerve13 wrote:
Just as long as it's a 1-year deal.

If Finnegan got that I think this is a lock he gets it too

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I have one word for Finley ...... RETIRE

Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:26 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

He can't stay healthy, not in favor.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rock Sexton wrote:
I have one word for Finley ...... RETIRE

If he does not get clearance, that will be his only option. Even then, I do believe he taking a big chance.

At the most, if he does get clearance, it a one year deal.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
If he does not get clearance, that will be his only option. Even then, I do believe he taking a big chance.

You have no soul if you actually condone this man playing LOL. I wouldn't throw a 1 year deal at him just for the sake of not promoting the opportunity to screw up the rest of his life.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:22 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rock Sexton wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

You have no soul if you actually condone this man playing LOL. I wouldn't throw a 1 year deal at him just for the sake of not promoting the opportunity of his screwing up the rest of his life.

Personally, I think he should retire. That said, this is the NFL. If he get's clearance to play, someone is going to give him that chance. Simple as that.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:47 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This was tweeted from Omar Kelly.......

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 6h

"@DolfanDieter: think the phins are just blowing smoke with Finley?"» No. Miami has wanted to sign him for a while. But he must get healthy

Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:25 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Finster wrote:

He missed time last season. Before that, he played in all 16 games for two consecutive seasons.

And Brent Grimes couldn't stay healthy either. Were you not in favor of that signing as well?

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:12 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

You have no soul if you actually condone this man playing LOL. I wouldn't throw a 1 year deal at him just for the sake of not promoting the opportunity to screw up the rest of his life.

Aren't you a libertarian? Wouldn't you believe it is a man's choice to do as he wants and live with the consequences?

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:13 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Omar Kelly wrote:
Miami has wanted to sign him for a while. But he must get healthy[/b]

I guess this makes Eric Ebron a target in this upcoming draft; however, if the Dolphins do not address the RT position in this draft we could have some serious protection problems with most teams moving their best pass rusher to the weaker side these days to get to the quarterback.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:37 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
Omar Kelly wrote:
Miami has wanted to sign him for a while. But he must get healthy[/b]

I guess this makes Eric Ebron a target in this upcoming draft; however, if the Dolphins do not address the RT position in this draft we could have some serious protection problems with most teams moving their best pass rusher to the weaker side these days to get to the quarterback.

If what I read is valid then there is a lot of starting caliber right tackle prospects to be had in rounds 2-4.

Because of how bad the linebacking group played last year I'm really hoping CJ Mosley is avaible at 19, but I sure wouldn't argue with Miami taking Ebron if he fell to them.

Clay, Gibson and Matthews all were pretty good in the red zone but Miami never had a big target. It would have been nice to see Egnew or Sims develop into that, but just going with them is a roll of the dice for a coach on the hot seat. I'm on board with seeing if Finley can do that, but man oh man I would not be messing with a neck injury. I'm assuming he made a few bucks and would hope he saved some of it. Has to at least consider retirement.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 am

Big Dave wrote:
however, if the Dolphins do not address the RT position in this draft we could have some serious protection problems with most teams moving their best pass rusher to the weaker side these days to get to the quarterback.

And Hickey's philosophy on offensive line would not be terribly different than Ireland's.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 am

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

He missed time last season. Before that, he played in all 16 games for two consecutive seasons.

And Brent Grimes couldn't stay healthy either. Were you not in favor of that signing as well?

Those are the only 2 seasons of his career that he didn't actually miss a game, injuries stll held him back but he was dressed for each game.

What does that have to do with Grimes?

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:55 am

Finster wrote:
Those are the only 2 seasons of his career that he didn't actually miss a game, injuries stll held him back but he was dressed for each game.

No player is 100% throughout an entire season in the NFL. Everyone is nicked up at some point.

Quote:
What does that have to do with Grimes?

Grimes missed 19 games in two seasons prior to signing with the Dolphins.

So health was an issue with him. If your criteria is not being able to stay healthy, then you wouldn't have been in favor of bringing in Grimes.

The overall point is if his health checks out and you can sign him to a low risk, one year deal, why wouldn't you?

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:59 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Miami can get a starting caliber ORT in the 2nd round, which I think they will do. If Ebron drops to Miami, I think he will be the pick. I just don't see it happening, and in a draft this deep and with just their 7 picks, I don't see Miami looking to trade up.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
Miami can get a starting caliber ORT in the 2nd round, which I think they will do. If Ebron drops to Miami, I think he will be the pick. I just don't see it happening, and in a draft this deep and with just their 7 picks, I don't see Miami looking to trade up.

Getting really off topic here but I just saw a mock draft with Jacksonville trading its 2nd and 3rd rounders (plus a late pick or two) to jump up to 19th and grab a falling Bridgewater. With the extra 2nd rounder Miami grabbed Antonio Richardson at 39 and David Yankey at 50.

Only mentioning this to further illustrate Miami has many ways of addressing the o-line without reaching for a guy at 19. If Finley is healthy and signs with Miami it opens up more possibilities for draft targets, and to maybe buy a guy like Dion Sims some more development time.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:22 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Getting really off topic here but I just saw a mock draft with Jacksonville trading its 2nd and 3rd rounders (plus a late pick or two) to jump up to 19th and grab a falling Bridgewater. With the extra 2nd rounder Miami grabbed Antonio Richardson at 39 and David Yankey at 50.

Only mentioning this to further illustrate Miami has many ways of addressing the o-line without reaching for a guy at 19. If Finley is healthy and signs with Miami it opens up more possibilities for draft targets, and to maybe buy a guy like Dion Sims some more development time.

That would be an interesting trade scenario and one I would love. This is a deep draft, and the more picks, the better.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
With the extra 2nd rounder Miami grabbed Antonio Richardson at 39 and David Yankey at 50.

Richardson is the exact opposite player of what a ZBS requires to be a success, I wouldn't even have the dude on my draft board at all. Don't know much about Yankey.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:
With the extra 2nd rounder Miami grabbed Antonio Richardson at 39 and David Yankey at 50.

Richardson is the exact opposite player of what a ZBS requires to be a success, I wouldn't even have the dude on my draft board at all. Don't know much about Yankey.

Wasn't really the point of my post. I don't know squat about either guy. Just highlighting that Miami doesn't have to take an o-line guy at 19. There appears to be other qualified prospects who can be had in rounds 2 and 3, maybe even later.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]