View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Lamar Miller ran better than people think 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Lamar Miller ran better than people think
Quote:
On Film

Miller has never been known as the world’s most-physical runner. He is not a player who moves piles with impressive leg drive, or stiff arms linebackers to tack on extra yards. Knowing this, I expected it to be one of the main takeaways from his film. Instead, I found a back who ran better than his statistics or workload would indicate, one severely let down by his line and coaching staff.

Miller is still more lightning than thunder. True to his reputation, he rarely, if ever, emerged from dogpiles with extra yards. Fighting through scrums is not his strong suit, and never will be. Miller can be felled by arm tackles, and occasionally gets ragdolled like Chris Johnson. He doesn’t always make the right cuts.

But Miller is not only fast, but quick. His acceleration jumps off the screen. Miller isn’t quite a CJ2K-esque blur, but he’s undoubtedly one of the swiftest running backs in the league. When Miller finds his lane, he’s almost always good for 5-6 yards. He gets what’s blocked, even if he’s operating with a hole the size of Tavon Austin. Miller is not immune to making the wrong read, but he gives away much fewer runs than the numbers would lead you to believe.

The problem is that, like his coaching, his blocking was as bad as advertised last season. Again, Miller is not a player who’s going to take on two tacklers and escape with extra yards. This stood out in 2013 because Miller received almost no second-level blocks. It was one cut, one block, one tackle. On the few occasions Miller’s blockers did manage to occupy a linebacker or defensive back, he usually gained 15-20 yards.

Read the entire piece
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/4 ... iller?pg=1

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Lamar Miller ran better than people think
Quote:
Maybe I’m being too optimistic. Great players, after all, typically dispatch the Daniel Thomases of the world when given the chance. They rise above their circumstances. But when I look at Miller’s 2013, I can’t help but see a player who was set up to fail. A back let down by his coaching staff and embarrassed by his offensive line.

I think Lazor can help Lamar out alot.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:07 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Much of this has to do with a crappy offensive line and an offensive coordinator that admitted to shying away from the run. Miller needs to improve as a pass blocker, get more touches in a balanced attack with actual holes to run through. He will be fine. And lets not forget go/go go played into last year too.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:36 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Well I sure hope so because between having him , Wallace & Tannehill in fantasy last season they killed me.
Just as this is a so called make or break season for Tannehill it should be for this guy as well.
Just like Tannehille I also expect big things from him as well. Lazor powered baby!!!!!

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:05 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

bobby0112 wrote:
Miller needs to improve as a pass blocker, get more touches in a balanced attack with actual holes to run through. He will be fine.

I agree. The good thing is that he did improve last year as a pass blocker, but he still needs to take the next step forward in that area of his game. He'll get less touches this year but somehow I think having Moreno will help open his game up. He looked better a couple year ago when Bush was here.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Lamar did improve a great deal as a pass blocker, he just needs to get a little stronger so he can handle the bigger defensive players.

He certainly is explosive, but he is more of a finesse type of runner. Still like his potential and I think he and Moreno will make a very solid duo.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

There, see? We're all in agreement. Can we go ahead and cut Thomas now, pleeeeease?
I guess I need a capologist to tell me what the difference in the cap hit is to cutting him now or later... but still... I am done waiting for him to blossom. He is what he is.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]