All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:34 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Old news for us. I am wondering if this is out there to create an appearance that the Dolphins have the inside linebacker position resolved before the draft. To be sure, Wheeler ranked dead last among all outside linebackers in 2014 ... he will not be starting for the Dolphins in 2014.

Quote:
Dolphins thinking about shaking up linebackers
Posted by Darin Gantt

The Dolphins spent a lot of money on free agent linebackers last year, and they appear to be set to shuffle some of those guys around.

According to Andrew Abramson of the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins are planning to move outside linebacker Koa Misi to the middle, replacing Dannell Ellerbe.

Ellerbe would then move to the weakside, and Phillip Wheeler would play the strongside spot.

Misi signed an extension last fall, after former General Manager Jeff Ireland spent on Ellerbe and Wheeler last offseason.

Such a move would be a huge admission that last year’s moves were a mistake, but since Ireland was fired, they’re the kind that are easier to admit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nebackers/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:04 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I definitely think they should try this as for one Ellerbe was playing out of his normal position, which is weak side linebacker.

Misi is a steady player, but boring as an outside linebacker and doesn't make a lot of big plays, but maybe moving him into the middle creates a reliable tackler behind the D-Line.

Ideally, it would be nice to draft a linebacker to take Wheeler's spot as that guy really disappointed me last year and always seem to be trailing plays several yards down the field before actually making the tackle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:23 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I would not have a problem with drafting CJ Mosely for ILB, and using Ellerbe and Misi at the OLB positions. In pass rushing situations I would like to see Dion Jordan get into the mix as well. With Cam Wake and Olivier Vernon playing well in pass rushing situations, we have to get Dion Jordan more playing time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:13 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I absolutely agree Dave. I like Jordan's upside a lot, but on the other hand IF for some reason they are only going to use him part-time again in a rotation scheme where he only gets a low number of snaps, I would honestly rather Miami take Philadephia's 22nd pick in a trade, which is the best case trade offer for him. Of course, that is all hear say, but if the Eagles in fact dangle that out for Jordan and he is not projected to be a starter for the Dolphins, then trade and get someone who will be starting and fill a void for the fins. Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:18 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I have been of the opinion that Misi has always been an ILB at the NFL level, but I think Ireland was too stubborn to move him from outside because of how he billed him up as a pass rusher.

Wheeler is awful as the SSLB, I would see if you can play Ellerbe at SS and move DJ off the line to WSLB, unless Wheelers play significantly improves he should just be chalked up as a loss and move on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:29 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

It has been said that the linebacker play had a lot to do with the regression in the Dolphins run defense. You can certainly see that with not filling the gaps and tons of missed tackles.

Unless Michigan OLT Taylor Lewan drops to Miami, and I don't think he will at all, I am sticking with Mosely as the pick. I am reading a lot of talk of Cyrus Kouandijio dropping into the 2nd round, and Mel Kiper thinks he drops to the mid to late 2nd round. If he does, to me it a no brainer to grab him at that point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:48 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

LB play in Miami sucked last season. They need a true MLB and movng Misi is a stop gap move.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

NFLJunkie wrote:
LB play in Miami sucked last season. They need a true MLB and movng Misi is a stop gap move.

I agree. ILB play relies on communication and instincts. Misi might learn the communcation aspects just fine, but IMO has not demonstrated the instincts needed to be the long-term answer. Maybe I'm wrong; maybe he's not been given the opportunity yet to demonstrate that, but I'd rather keep him outside and draft a long-term answer.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:01 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Koa Misi took the first reps as the Dolphins' starting middle linebacker at Tuesday's OTAs.
There was a report earlier this month from the Palm Beach Post that said Misi thought the switch to MIKE would be "too much" for him to handle mentally. It proved to be false. The Dolphins want Misi, a strong run defender, to man the inside, with high-priced vets Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler on the outside.
Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I still do not understand that if Dion is so out of place as a DE in Coyle's 4-3 system, why not plug him in at the SAM?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:45 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I still do not understand that if Dion is so out of place as a DE in Coyle's 4-3 system, why not plug him in at the SAM?

Because Wheeler is so awesome at it...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:57 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Because Wheeler is so awesome at it...

Oh, well at least now I know. Makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
Dolphins coach Joe Philbin admitted the team considered using Jordan as an OLB this year but decided against it. To hear the coach explain it, coaches don't want Jordan thinking about covering zone or man when he should be chasing the quarterback.
So he's a defensive end.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... ction.html

I guess that answers my question...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:25 pm 

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Quote:
Dolphins coach Joe Philbin admitted the team considered using Jordan as an OLB this year but decided against it. To hear the coach explain it, coaches don't want Jordan thinking about covering zone or man when he should be chasing the quarterback.
So he's a defensive end.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... ction.html

I guess that answers my question...

Then start using 4 defensive ends on nickel and dime situations.

Slide Vernon inside with Odrick or Starks and put Wake and Jordan on the outside. Or even slide Vernon and Shelby inside.

Think about all the trouble using those four on stunts could create...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:52 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think the goal for them is to eventually replace Cam with Jordan. In the meantime while Cam still has good years left, they are giving Jordan rotation playing time, and attempting to keep a fresh set of DE's on the field at all times. If they are going to eventually have him as a starting DE I could see why they don't want him to play linebacker. Obviously they aren't considering Wheeler a bust yet...if the situation was dire, I'm sure Jordan would be playing OLB.

Moving Misi to the middle is more of a common sense move to me..like Dave said not news. Who knows how much time Tripp will get.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:28 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Koa Misi took the first reps as the Dolphins' starting middle linebacker at Tuesday's OTAs.
There was a report earlier this month from the Palm Beach Post that said Misi thought the switch to MIKE would be "too much" for him to handle mentally. It proved to be false. The Dolphins want Misi, a strong run defender, to man the inside, with high-priced vets Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler on the outside.
Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter

:yay:

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]