View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Kirk Cousins, would you trade for him? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Kirk Cousins, would you trade for him?
Okay, it is the off season, the boring time where there is no Dolphin news to read about, so I have to start making things up to discuss!

The Washington Redskins are said to accept a 3rd round draft pick for Kirk Cousins, so my question to you all, is would you "consider" doing it and let him battle it with Tannehill for the starting role and worst case become the back up?

Personally, I would give this a serious consideration as Cousins IMO can see the field and he has a very good pocket awareness and I think he will become a very good player in the NFL.

Of course, in all likelihood, I am proposing a far fetched scenario, but hypothetically, you can release Moore and make a trade like this happen.

I know we are at a crossroads year for Tannehill and I don't want to say I don't think he still cannot be "the guy", but IMO, I think Cousins has a better field awareness and he plays smart AND I like his down field throws to the receivers, but obviously he has not played in a lot of games as of yet.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:27 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Kirk Cousins, would you trade for him?
I liked him coming out of college. For a 3rd you might have a starter, but you for sure have a backup and you can dump Moore and his high cap. Hey, we "waste" 3rd rd picks all the time. Hell, we waste picks all the time.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:35 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

NO......

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:41 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

What I trade for a qb who I think when you rank RT, RG3 and himself is the last qb and somebody who no team is trying to snag and for just a 3rd? Hell no, that bum should pray that RG3 continues to struggle so he gets a chance

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:47 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
NO......

I wouldn't do it either. This is Tannehill's year to prove whether he is the franchise or not. The Dolphins need their 3rd round pick to fix other problems.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

No. Never understood why this guy has a buzz. Matt Flynn 2.0

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'd rather draft Aaron Murray or Garrett Gilbert.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
NO......

I wouldn't do it either. This is Tannehill's year to prove whether he is the franchise or not. The Dolphins need their 3rd round pick to fix other problems.

Does he really have to prove himself though? Consider this (and im not trying to make this a huge argument) but Jay Cutler and Matt Stafford were higher rated coming out and both have been starters for over a decade combined and have I believe 3 playoffs appearences between them and 1 win but yet are still the guys with their teams. Now T-Hill has more to prove but tbh after the way RG3 played last year im more worried about him because he hasn't really seemed like a leader at all, gets injured and doesnt protect himself much and when things started to go bad last year it went horrible and they had the 2nd worst record in the league but nobody seems to say it's a make or break year for him. Now I agree T-Hill has to improve more but with what I just said do you still really think that it's do or die for him? I mean he's darn sure not like Chad Henne or anything

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:
NO......

:yay: Needs versus wants. Fix the o-line.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:34 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Does he really have to prove himself though?

I think he is a good quarterback, but we've discussed this before in many threads. I am interested to see whether he can learn a new offense as he has been under Mike Sherman his college/NFL career.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:30 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am interested in seeing what Tannehill can do to Dave and I only threw the Cousins discussion out because personally I think Tannehill needs someone else to push him more and I do not see Moore as that guy.

Cousins, people can say he is Matt Flynn 2.0, but this guy is much better than Flynn. Better arm, better field awareness. This may not be a good trade to make NOW, but if Tannehill struggles (hope he doesn't ) a third round pick for Cousins wouldn't be a bad future investment.

My hope is like everyone else and that is RT takes that next step to be a GREAT QB in the NFL. Not a mediocre one...

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I highly doubt the compensation is that low - if that were the case, one of these QB hungry teams would have pulled the trigger already.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:31 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Cousins is a risk just like every QB in this year's draft. No one knows what the future holds for Cousins.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I highly doubt the compensation is that low - if that were the case, one of these QB hungry teams would have pulled the trigger already.

IamPZ, I did not pull the third round speculation out of thin air. They were wanting a second round pick originally, but it is said that Washington would consider a third rounder under the right circumstance.

Regardless, it was just a topic of discussion that IF it were a third rounder and knowing that there are no guarantees still with Tannehill, do you bring in another young QB to push him.

I am not even implying that Cousins would beat out RT, but what if he could? I know I want the best guy leading this team. However, all indications are that RT will get that chance to pretty much be the guy from the start as Moore certainly IMO is no threat to his job.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wouldn't consider this trade in the slightest. Tannehill is my guy. If he shows severe signs of regression in 2014, I strongly consider my options for snagging the NCAA's best QB prospect in the 2015 draft. From reports all over, Miami can possibly solidify the offensive line with their 3rd round pick. Trading away that pick for Cousins is doing more harm than good for Tannehill.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I read that they,d be lucky to get a 5th for him.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Miami can possibly solidify the offensive line with their 3rd round pick.

I sure the heck hope so and definitely hope Hickey drafts smart. We can sure use starters coming out of this draft.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Cousins proved himself when RG III was out. I think he will be a solid starter somewhere. If the Redskins trade him, then they are stupid. RG III will end up hurt again if they keep using him the way they do.....

If I were Dallas, I would trade for Cousins and see if he can push Romo. Maybe Miami could trade for Cousins and get something for Moore? If Tannehill is the man, then he will beat out Cousins. Yeah...we need to fill holes all over, but it all starts with the QB.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:22 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... sing::none

I just don't see why people are that high on him. Not to mention they rushed for over 1600 yards not including RGIII's 489. Fix the Oline, give Tannehill a running game and time to throw and we're better off.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Cousins proved himself when RG III was out. I think he will be a solid starter somewhere. If the Redskins trade him, then they are stupid. RG III will end up hurt again if they keep using him the way they do.....

If I were Dallas, I would trade for Cousins and see if he can push Romo. Maybe Miami could trade for Cousins and get something for Moore? If Tannehill is the man, then he will beat out Cousins. Yeah...we need to fill holes all over, but it all starts with the QB.

He sure didnt prove anything last year, other than proving to look like a backup.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
people can say he is Matt Flynn 2.0, but this guy is much better than Flynn.

Based on what? At least Flynn had that 6 touchdown game to hang his hat on.
This year Cousins threw for 4 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and fumbled 3 times and had a 26.5 QBR. Thats about as bad as it gets for a quarterback. Just imagine how many more interceptions and fumbles he would have had at that pace in a full time role. Once again, I have no idea why people think this guy is something special.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
According to the Washington Post, Kirk Cousins is "going nowhere."
Cousins means more to the Redskins than he'd net in a trade. He's a valuable backup, and no team in its right mind would give up a premium draft pick for a guy with a career 68.6 QB rating and 8:10 TD:INT ratio. The only way Cousins could get his wish and be traded out of D.C. is if a needy team fails to land a quarterback in May's draft, panics, and offers up a high 2015 pick. We fully expect Cousins to continue holding the clipboard for RG3.

Source: Washington Post

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:56 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Funny how Cousins sucks and he has "already" proven to be a back yet he really hasn't played that much. Meanwhile, RT needs protection, WR help, a running game, ETC, ETC. Disclaimer, I'm not saying Cousins is a starter but it's a little unfair to give RT every pass in the book while we "know" that Cousins is a backup after a few starts. Bottomline is that no one knows Cousins yet while RT is that the critical year 3 of his career. Cousins has as much as a shot as some of the 2nd tier QBs coming out of the draft.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Swerve, remember these are all opinions and I am not implying that Cousins is a superstar either, however I still behind my own personal feelings that the guy has good field vision and could come in and help push Tannehill more, that is all as I don't believe Matt Moore is the young up and comer that could really push for the job. Cousins is a guy with potential and there are those in the NFL that think this kid can contribute and that is where I will leave it. It is evident based on the recent Washington reportings you included that he will likely stay put.

It was starting a thread for thought and we can all only hope that Tannehill has a breakout year and plays consistent all the way through and for the record I am a big Tanny fan and really hope this team finally turns the corner vs us watching him struggle and being back to square one at QB again.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It's not as if he was highly regarded by NFL scouts the way Tannehill and RG3 were. They already considered him NFL backup material and he has not disproved that with his play, which has been atrocious.

NFL.com Kirk Cousins draft analysis
Quote:
OVERVIEW
Cousins was a three-year starter, as well as a rare three-year captain, at Michigan State. He is a self-made guy, a tireless worker who has deficiencies that could hurt his pro potential. He is not a very strong deep thrower; while his velocity is adequate, his accuracy when throwing deep is questionable. Ultimately, Cousins is a guy who could get drafted based on his experience and intangibles, and will need to put on size and fine-tune certain throwing deficiencies to catch on at the next level. Based on the production and leadership at Michigan State, Cousins has late-round value to a team looking for someone to compete for a backup role.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Cousins has all the intangibles necessary for an NFL quarterback and has been a productive three-year starter. The fact that he was a three-year captain will be highly regarded by NFL general managers. He is an accurate and safe thrower who knows how to pick his spots. He is a good athlete who can make plays on the run, but is not going to run past many NFL defenders. A safe pick as a backup option.

WEAKNESSES Cousins is widely considered to be a game manager type at the next level. He makes good decisions with the ball but has not shown he can make the flash plays to move the offense and win games for his team at the next level. He will need talent around him to succeed, which limits his value.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/ ... id=2532820

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:42 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

8 TDs to 10 INTs for his career.

STUD!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:48 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

STUD!

" stats can be misleading" "he's young" Let's have perspective" "The INTs bounced off recievers hands" "He has no time to throw" "no running game"...lol. I cound't resist guys, sorry....

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:59 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It's not as if he was highly regarded by NFL scouts the way Tannehill and RG3 were. They already considered him NFL backup material and he has not disproved that with his play, which has been atrocious.

Swerve, I respect your draft knowledge, but we all know that scouting reports can be wrong on players. I'd like to Jamarcus Russels scout report.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:03 pm

Makchell wrote:

STUD!

" stats can be misleading" "he's young" Let's have perspective" "The INTs bounced off recievers hands" "He has no time to throw" "no running game"...lol. I cound't resist guys, sorry....

Actually, the Redskins have Alfred Morris and were ranked 6th in rushing... which means they have a running game. Nice try, though (fail).

But if you follow the flow of the thread, it started off with:

Quote:
Cousins IMO can see the field and he has a very good pocket awareness and I think he will become a very good player in the NFL.

He has 203 NFL attempts, and some have already concluded that he can see the field and has very good pocket awareness... that's NOT having perspective.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm not really talking about Tannehill at all in this discussion. Even at his worst times Tannehill wasn't as bad as Cousins. These are 2 different quarterbacks on 2 different levels. Throwing a premium pick at Kirk Cousins wreaks of A.J. Feeley. I will laugh if Cleveland passes on Manziel and Bridgewater and trades a 2nd rounder for this guy. Those poor fans. Organizations with no balls make that kind of move.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:07 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:

Swerve, I respect your draft knowledge, but we all know that scouting reports can be wrong on players. I'd like to Jamarcus Russels scout report.

They're wrong if the player proves them wrong, which he certainly has not. He's only proved them right so far. So why would a team feel he is worth trading a 2nd or a 3rd round pick for? Makes no sense at all. It's just that fans love to believe there are these stars just hiding on the bench waiting to be plucked up. Same goes for Ryan mallett and Matt Flynn and Matt Moore and Billy Volek. These guys come off the bench for one game, play well, and all of a sudden he is the next highly coveted superstar.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:13 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Actually, the Redskins have Alfred Morris and were ranked 6th in rushing... which means they have a running game. Nice try, though (fail).

Easy buddy, I'm just clowning around.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Makchell wrote:

Easy buddy, I'm just clowning around.

So you were calling Cousins a franchise QB and now you're backing off?

Are you doubting yourself?

I have to question your mental toughness...

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:24 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

So you were calling Cousins a franchise QB and now you're backing off?

Never said that.

Are you doubting yourself?

nope...

I have to question your mental toughness...

lol

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Here is my logic to this scenario. Matt Moore has proven he can step in and win a game. He's not unseating Ryan Tannehill and he has little if any trade value. If a team wanted Moore they would have signed him last year when he was a free agent rather than give up a pick and take on his 4 million dollar salary. Therefore he is exactly what Miami needs right now for a backup.

Cousins on the other hand is a gamble. You don't know what you're getting in a year where the coach's job is on the line. Maybe he is a good, long term starter for a team. But I'd argue a team with a new coach would probably want to do that in a double down scenario aka find a cheap vet and draft a guy.

If Miami wants to hit the reset button next year this is something to consider.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:

STUD!

:haha

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]