Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Post subject: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:47 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

With all the talk of who should be drafted, how about listing a few players who in your opinion should be avoided at all costs.

Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Benjamin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:36 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Johnny Manziel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Benjamin

Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Anthony barr.
Probably manziel.
Benjamin could boom or bust.
Dri archer, if he gets drafted too high.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

swerve13 wrote:
Anthony barr.
Probably manziel.
Benjamin could boom or bust.
Dri archer, if he gets drafted too high.

Benjamin was inconsistent af his whole career until a Heisman guy came in and he had to step up against sub par competition for the most part. He's gifted but so flawed it's crazy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jadaveon Clowney, considering many are calling him the best defensive prospect in the last 10 years.

I still maintain this guy got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much run from one isolated hit in the Outback Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Jadaveon Clowney, considering many are calling him the best defensive prospect in the last 10 years.

I still maintain this guy got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much run from one isolated hit in the Outback Bowl.

Clowney had 8 sacks as a freshman and 13 sacks in that sophmore year that included the "HIT". He only had 3 sacks this past year, but he should have had closer to double digits, as he missed out on a few sacks. He saw a lot of double teams, chips and sometimes even triple teams. I must say there were also times when it looked like he shut it down on some plays, so I can see the questions about this season.

In regards to Kelvin Benjamin, he improved tremendously from his freshman year to his sophmore year. He really did take a quantum leap. He has lapses in concentration and will drop the easy catch, but make the more difficult catch. He had his biggest day against a very good Florida secondary, as he had over 200 yards and multiple touchdowns in that game.

Late 1st, 2nd round, I would take him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:06 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

phinsfansc wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Clowney had 8 sacks as a freshman and 13 sacks in that sophmore year that included the "HIT". He only had 3 sacks this past year, but he should have had closer to double digits, as he missed out on a few sacks. He saw a lot of double teams, chips and sometimes even triple teams. I must say there were also times when it looked like he shut it down on some plays, so I can see the questions about this season.

In regards to Kelvin Benjamin, he improved tremendously from his freshman year to his sophmore year. He really did take a quantum leap. He has lapses in concentration and will drop the easy catch, but make the more difficult catch. He had his biggest day against a very good Florida secondary, as he had over 200 yards and multiple touchdowns in that game.

Late 1st, 2nd round, I would take him.

Watch Benjamin, he can't run routes, he's hard headed and a great qb/coacjhing staff would have to get into his head to reach his potential. He's going to frustrate certain teams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:46 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Manziel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:16 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Merill Hodge makes a great case against Manziel translating his college game into the pros. I tend to believe what he is saying, he has a lot of evidence behind it. I think Manziel will flame out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I also have my doubts about Manziel making it as a pro, but I couldn't care less what Hoge has to say. People just tune him out anymore. He makes every highly rated prospect sound like he's going to be a bust. He just tries so hard to grab headlines.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Manziel. Because lets face it. The greatest QB ever was just drafted a few years ago and was from Texas A&M. There is no way that college could produce 2 in a row.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:48 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

MIA 1st pick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:41 pm 

Makchell wrote:
MIA 1st pick.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:13 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

What's your definition of bust? Never becomes starter? Doesn't live up to where drafted? Doesn't make the team?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I really like Johnny Football and think he will be a baller in the pros. Unfortunately, even though I predicted Russell Wilson to be a good quarterback in the NFL, I also said that Tim Tebow would be a good quarterback in the NFL. The thing about Tebow is that even though he had terrible accuracy in the Pros, he did find ways to win as a starter. His receivers hated playing for him because their stats went DOWN.

Still, I feel that Manziel will find ways to win football games as a starter, and he will be more accurate than Tebow was.

Here is a good article on why NFL execs cannot say how his NFL career will go. Myself, I would make him the overall #1 pick in the draft as he can be great. He can also be a wasted 1st round pick, but to me he is worth the risk.

Quote:
NFL insiders split on outlook for Johnny Football

Last month, the Journal Sentinel asked 20 executives in personnel if, when the book was closed on Manziel's pro career, it would be considered a hit or a miss.

Underscoring the Texans' dilemma, eight scouts guessed hit and 12 guessed miss.

"Do you want somebody that's not even 50-50 on that poll to be your franchise quarterback?" said an NFL personnel man. "He's a darn good athlete and great competitor, but he's a party animal and he ain't the smartest."

The personnel people also were asked to choose one word to describe Manziel, who became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy, in 2012.

Those that forecast Manziel's career to be a hit chose brazen, electric (twice), entertaining, exciting, swagger, Tarkenton and unpredictable.

Those that expect Manziel to miss selected competitive (twice), dangerous, different, difference-maker, electric, energetic, gamer, magical, playmaker, spontaneous and winner.

"I really like Johnny Manziel," said Rick Reiprish, the New Orleans Saints' director of college scouting who has been beating college campuses for players since 1979. "He's very worthy of being a high first-round pick.

"Some of the throws the kid has made...Fran Tarkenton, he didn't have the arm strength this kid has. He'll drive you crazy if you let him, but he's going to do a lot of good things for you, too."

Measured at 5 feet 11 3/4 inches, Manziel will become just the eighth quarterback shorter than 6-0 to be drafted in the last 28 years.

In order, the list includes Kevin Sweeney (5-11 1/2), seventh round, 1987; Danny McManus (5-11 1/2), 11th round, '88; Jeff Blake (5-11 1/2), sixth round, '92; Ty Detmer (5-11 1/2), ninth round, '92; Joe Hamilton (5-10), seventh round, 2000; Seneca Wallace (5-11 1/2), fourth round, '03; and Russell Wilson (5-10 1/2), third round, '12.

The fact the Seattle Seahawks just won the Super Bowl with Wilson has put the question of Manziel's height on the back burner. Be that as it may, there's plenty good reason for the age-old stigma against short quarterbacks.

"The only thing that's going to hurt him is him being 5-11," said C.O. Brocato, a consultant for the Tennessee Titans and the grand old man of NFL scouts. "Only thing that worries me, if he can't get away from those big guys up here, it's going to be tough for him.

"He's such a darn good athlete with such quickness, he can be in one spot and roll out the other way and be on his way down the field. But you don't do that too many times up here. You can stand on the sideline, and hitting is so much different than what you hear in college."

Former NFL personnel director Phil Savage, the analyst for the Alabama radio network, has researched defenses coached by Nick Saban at Michigan State, Louisiana State and the Crimson Tide.

"Not since 1998-'99 has a Nick Saban-coached defense been taken apart in back-to-back years like Drew Brees did for Purdue against Michigan State," said Savage. "Manziel is the only quarterback that actually exceeded his performance the second time around. He threw for 464 (yards) and five TDs (and rushed for 98) the second time.

"I watched eight or 10 games last summer getting ready for the (Texas A&M) game. After the little missteps last spring, I thought this guy was a college legend folklore player that probably won't have much of an NFL career.

"Alabama had nine months basically to get ready for the game (Sept. 14). For him to march down the field the first two times as if they were going against air...this is a great football player."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 85891.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:52 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Florida State

IMO this guy has inconsistent written all over him. I would stay away from him with a 10 foot pole.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:57 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
MIA 1st pick.

:haha

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:32 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
I really like Johnny Football and think he will be a baller in the pros. Unfortunately, even though I predicted Russell Wilson to be a good quarterback in the NFL, I also said that Tim Tebow would be a good quarterback in the NFL. The thing about Tebow is that even though he had terrible accuracy in the Pros, he did find ways to win as a starter. His receivers hated playing for him because their stats went DOWN.

Still, I feel that Manziel will find ways to win football games as a starter, and he will be more accurate than Tebow was.

I think Manziel can be a real gem as long as he sticks to the script. His propensity for free-lancing will get him destroyed at the NFL level. He's simply got the playmaker gene and he'll need a good coaching staff to hone in on that.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

A lot of people are listing Kelvin Benjamin. If we're talking about pick #19, I absolutely agree, he's not worth the pick. Too much of a bust factor there. But at pick 50, I think there is definitely value. Does he have some inconsistencies, sure, but he also has tremendous potential as a big play receiver. A man with his size and ability could certainly be used right away in multiple packages that draw on his strengths.
I don't think it could ever happen, but I'd love to see Miami maneuver and find a way to get its OT, Benjamin, and Seferian-Jenkins in the first two rounds. Matching those two monsters with Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Clay, and Moreno would give Tannehill more weapons than he could ever ask for. It would also make Lazor a kid in a candy shop when it comes to options for his new offense.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

I think Manziel can be a real gem as long as he sticks to the script. His propensity for free-lancing will get him destroyed at the NFL level. He's simply got the playmaker gene and he'll need a good coaching staff to hone in on that.

The best fit for Manziel in my opinion is Oakland. They have Matt Schaub there who can lead the team this season. This puts less pressure on him to be ready right away. Plus if Schaub works out, Manziel can always be packaged as a redzone/short yardage weapon.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:59 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
The best fit for Manziel in my opinion is Oakland. They have Matt Schaub there who can lead the team this season. This puts less pressure on him to be ready right away. Plus if Schaub works out, Manziel can always be packaged as a redzone/short yardage weapon.

They don't have the proper coaching staff in place.

Manziel needs people skilled in training the wild bull.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:52 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I think all of the perennial losing franchises should be trying to get Manziel. It's the best thing you can do for a dreadful franchise. Actually have a chance to sell tickets and give the fans something to come out and see and be excited for once. Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland and even Tampa have no business passing on Manziel.

I'm not the biggest Manziel believer, but I think he's an NFL Frankencreature. A combination of Tarkenten, Flutie, Favre, Romo and maybe some Brees. He has things I like and hate. But he's a leader.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:49 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

swerve13 wrote:
I think all of the perennial losing franchises should be trying to get Manziel. It's the best thing you can do for a dreadful franchise. Actually have a chance to sell tickets and give the fans something to come out and see and be excited for once. Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland and even Tampa have no business passing on Manziel.

I would seriously consider it. The Rams at #2 may take him. I'll bet ticket sales increase if they do this. Bradford was terrible last year.

Quote:
Mort: Rams interest in Manziel is 'genuine'

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL Insiders that the Rams' interest in Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is "genuine." "I believe their interest is serious," added Mort. "There are people who believe they could take him at No. 2." There is increasing buzz surrounding St. Louis' volatile quarterback position, where with a $14.015 million salary, Sam Bradford is arguably the most overpaid player in football. Installing Manziel as their starter, and moving on from Bradford, would save the Rams roughly $7 million in immediate cap space while adding a dynamic dual-threat under center, building up the offense in division-rivals San Francisco and Seattle's likeness.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9271/johnny-manziel

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Sounds like at least 10 teams have legit interest in him.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:35 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Well, we didn't draft any of these guys.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Smoke screens galore. The Rams are genuine on Mansiel...lol

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:43 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
Smoke screens galore. The Rams are genuine on Mansiel...lol

Hillarious, isn't it? Jerry Jones didn't draft him either. This was a huge smoke screen.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]