All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
With all the talk of who should be drafted, how about listing a few players who in your opinion should be avoided at all costs.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 712
Benjamin


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6919
Johnny Manziel


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:03 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 2878
ag_fin_90 wrote:
Benjamin


Agreed.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:14 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
Anthony barr.
Probably manziel.
Benjamin could boom or bust.
Dri archer, if he gets drafted too high.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 712
swerve13 wrote:
Anthony barr.
Probably manziel.
Benjamin could boom or bust.
Dri archer, if he gets drafted too high.

Benjamin was inconsistent af his whole career until a Heisman guy came in and he had to step up against sub par competition for the most part. He's gifted but so flawed it's crazy


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Jadaveon Clowney, considering many are calling him the best defensive prospect in the last 10 years.

I still maintain this guy got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much run from one isolated hit in the Outback Bowl.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Columbia, SC
Rock Sexton wrote:
Jadaveon Clowney, considering many are calling him the best defensive prospect in the last 10 years.

I still maintain this guy got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much run from one isolated hit in the Outback Bowl.



Clowney had 8 sacks as a freshman and 13 sacks in that sophmore year that included the "HIT". He only had 3 sacks this past year, but he should have had closer to double digits, as he missed out on a few sacks. He saw a lot of double teams, chips and sometimes even triple teams. I must say there were also times when it looked like he shut it down on some plays, so I can see the questions about this season.

In regards to Kelvin Benjamin, he improved tremendously from his freshman year to his sophmore year. He really did take a quantum leap. He has lapses in concentration and will drop the easy catch, but make the more difficult catch. He had his biggest day against a very good Florida secondary, as he had over 200 yards and multiple touchdowns in that game.

Late 1st, 2nd round, I would take him.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:06 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 712
phinsfansc wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Jadaveon Clowney, considering many are calling him the best defensive prospect in the last 10 years.

I still maintain this guy got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much run from one isolated hit in the Outback Bowl.



Clowney had 8 sacks as a freshman and 13 sacks in that sophmore year that included the "HIT". He only had 3 sacks this past year, but he should have had closer to double digits, as he missed out on a few sacks. He saw a lot of double teams, chips and sometimes even triple teams. I must say there were also times when it looked like he shut it down on some plays, so I can see the questions about this season.

In regards to Kelvin Benjamin, he improved tremendously from his freshman year to his sophmore year. He really did take a quantum leap. He has lapses in concentration and will drop the easy catch, but make the more difficult catch. He had his biggest day against a very good Florida secondary, as he had over 200 yards and multiple touchdowns in that game.

Late 1st, 2nd round, I would take him.

Watch Benjamin, he can't run routes, he's hard headed and a great qb/coacjhing staff would have to get into his head to reach his potential. He's going to frustrate certain teams


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26237
Location: Miami, FL
Manziel.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4782
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Merill Hodge makes a great case against Manziel translating his college game into the pros. I tend to believe what he is saying, he has a lot of evidence behind it. I think Manziel will flame out.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:05 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
I also have my doubts about Manziel making it as a pro, but I couldn't care less what Hoge has to say. People just tune him out anymore. He makes every highly rated prospect sound like he's going to be a bust. He just tries so hard to grab headlines.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 5989
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Manziel. Because lets face it. The greatest QB ever was just drafted a few years ago and was from Texas A&M. There is no way that college could produce 2 in a row.

_________________
GASE IS ON THE CASE!!! 2017 , 2018 , 2019 SB CHAMPIONS.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:48 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8921
MIA 1st pick.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 5989
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Makchell wrote:
MIA 1st pick.

:)

_________________
GASE IS ON THE CASE!!! 2017 , 2018 , 2019 SB CHAMPIONS.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:13 am 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 am
Posts: 356
Location: Scranton, PA
What's your definition of bust? Never becomes starter? Doesn't live up to where drafted? Doesn't make the team?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15335
Location: Raleigh, NC
I really like Johnny Football and think he will be a baller in the pros. Unfortunately, even though I predicted Russell Wilson to be a good quarterback in the NFL, I also said that Tim Tebow would be a good quarterback in the NFL. The thing about Tebow is that even though he had terrible accuracy in the Pros, he did find ways to win as a starter. His receivers hated playing for him because their stats went DOWN.

Still, I feel that Manziel will find ways to win football games as a starter, and he will be more accurate than Tebow was.

Here is a good article on why NFL execs cannot say how his NFL career will go. Myself, I would make him the overall #1 pick in the draft as he can be great. He can also be a wasted 1st round pick, but to me he is worth the risk.

Quote:
NFL insiders split on outlook for Johnny Football

...

Last month, the Journal Sentinel asked 20 executives in personnel if, when the book was closed on Manziel's pro career, it would be considered a hit or a miss.

Underscoring the Texans' dilemma, eight scouts guessed hit and 12 guessed miss.

"Do you want somebody that's not even 50-50 on that poll to be your franchise quarterback?" said an NFL personnel man. "He's a darn good athlete and great competitor, but he's a party animal and he ain't the smartest."

The personnel people also were asked to choose one word to describe Manziel, who became the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy, in 2012.

Those that forecast Manziel's career to be a hit chose brazen, electric (twice), entertaining, exciting, swagger, Tarkenton and unpredictable.

Those that expect Manziel to miss selected competitive (twice), dangerous, different, difference-maker, electric, energetic, gamer, magical, playmaker, spontaneous and winner.

"I really like Johnny Manziel," said Rick Reiprish, the New Orleans Saints' director of college scouting who has been beating college campuses for players since 1979. "He's very worthy of being a high first-round pick.

"Some of the throws the kid has made...Fran Tarkenton, he didn't have the arm strength this kid has. He'll drive you crazy if you let him, but he's going to do a lot of good things for you, too."

Measured at 5 feet 11 3/4 inches, Manziel will become just the eighth quarterback shorter than 6-0 to be drafted in the last 28 years.

In order, the list includes Kevin Sweeney (5-11 1/2), seventh round, 1987; Danny McManus (5-11 1/2), 11th round, '88; Jeff Blake (5-11 1/2), sixth round, '92; Ty Detmer (5-11 1/2), ninth round, '92; Joe Hamilton (5-10), seventh round, 2000; Seneca Wallace (5-11 1/2), fourth round, '03; and Russell Wilson (5-10 1/2), third round, '12.

The fact the Seattle Seahawks just won the Super Bowl with Wilson has put the question of Manziel's height on the back burner. Be that as it may, there's plenty good reason for the age-old stigma against short quarterbacks.

"The only thing that's going to hurt him is him being 5-11," said C.O. Brocato, a consultant for the Tennessee Titans and the grand old man of NFL scouts. "Only thing that worries me, if he can't get away from those big guys up here, it's going to be tough for him.

"He's such a darn good athlete with such quickness, he can be in one spot and roll out the other way and be on his way down the field. But you don't do that too many times up here. You can stand on the sideline, and hitting is so much different than what you hear in college."

Former NFL personnel director Phil Savage, the analyst for the Alabama radio network, has researched defenses coached by Nick Saban at Michigan State, Louisiana State and the Crimson Tide.

"Not since 1998-'99 has a Nick Saban-coached defense been taken apart in back-to-back years like Drew Brees did for Purdue against Michigan State," said Savage. "Manziel is the only quarterback that actually exceeded his performance the second time around. He threw for 464 (yards) and five TDs (and rushed for 98) the second time.

"I watched eight or 10 games last summer getting ready for the (Texas A&M) game. After the little missteps last spring, I thought this guy was a college legend folklore player that probably won't have much of an NFL career.

"Alabama had nine months basically to get ready for the game (Sept. 14). For him to march down the field the first two times as if they were going against air...this is a great football player."
...


http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 85891.html

_________________
Follow me on Facebook - Phinfever - Miami Dolphins Fan Site @BigDavePhinfever

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever


Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 5688
Location: Houston, Texas
Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Florida State

IMO this guy has inconsistent written all over him. I would stay away from him with a 10 foot pole.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 2159
Makchell wrote:
MIA 1st pick.


:haha

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
Big Dave wrote:
I really like Johnny Football and think he will be a baller in the pros. Unfortunately, even though I predicted Russell Wilson to be a good quarterback in the NFL, I also said that Tim Tebow would be a good quarterback in the NFL. The thing about Tebow is that even though he had terrible accuracy in the Pros, he did find ways to win as a starter. His receivers hated playing for him because their stats went DOWN.

Still, I feel that Manziel will find ways to win football games as a starter, and he will be more accurate than Tebow was.



I think Manziel can be a real gem as long as he sticks to the script. His propensity for free-lancing will get him destroyed at the NFL level. He's simply got the playmaker gene and he'll need a good coaching staff to hone in on that.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
A lot of people are listing Kelvin Benjamin. If we're talking about pick #19, I absolutely agree, he's not worth the pick. Too much of a bust factor there. But at pick 50, I think there is definitely value. Does he have some inconsistencies, sure, but he also has tremendous potential as a big play receiver. A man with his size and ability could certainly be used right away in multiple packages that draw on his strengths.
I don't think it could ever happen, but I'd love to see Miami maneuver and find a way to get its OT, Benjamin, and Seferian-Jenkins in the first two rounds. Matching those two monsters with Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Clay, and Moreno would give Tannehill more weapons than he could ever ask for. It would also make Lazor a kid in a candy shop when it comes to options for his new offense.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:56 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Rock Sexton wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
I really like Johnny Football and think he will be a baller in the pros. Unfortunately, even though I predicted Russell Wilson to be a good quarterback in the NFL, I also said that Tim Tebow would be a good quarterback in the NFL. The thing about Tebow is that even though he had terrible accuracy in the Pros, he did find ways to win as a starter. His receivers hated playing for him because their stats went DOWN.

Still, I feel that Manziel will find ways to win football games as a starter, and he will be more accurate than Tebow was.



I think Manziel can be a real gem as long as he sticks to the script. His propensity for free-lancing will get him destroyed at the NFL level. He's simply got the playmaker gene and he'll need a good coaching staff to hone in on that.



The best fit for Manziel in my opinion is Oakland. They have Matt Schaub there who can lead the team this season. This puts less pressure on him to be ready right away. Plus if Schaub works out, Manziel can always be packaged as a redzone/short yardage weapon.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 6186
wkloiber13 wrote:
The best fit for Manziel in my opinion is Oakland. They have Matt Schaub there who can lead the team this season. This puts less pressure on him to be ready right away. Plus if Schaub works out, Manziel can always be packaged as a redzone/short yardage weapon.


They don't have the proper coaching staff in place.

Manziel needs people skilled in training the wild bull.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:52 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
I think all of the perennial losing franchises should be trying to get Manziel. It's the best thing you can do for a dreadful franchise. Actually have a chance to sell tickets and give the fans something to come out and see and be excited for once. Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland and even Tampa have no business passing on Manziel.

I'm not the biggest Manziel believer, but I think he's an NFL Frankencreature. A combination of Tarkenten, Flutie, Favre, Romo and maybe some Brees. He has things I like and hate. But he's a leader.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15335
Location: Raleigh, NC
swerve13 wrote:
I think all of the perennial losing franchises should be trying to get Manziel. It's the best thing you can do for a dreadful franchise. Actually have a chance to sell tickets and give the fans something to come out and see and be excited for once. Oakland, Jacksonville, Cleveland and even Tampa have no business passing on Manziel.


I would seriously consider it. The Rams at #2 may take him. I'll bet ticket sales increase if they do this. Bradford was terrible last year.

Quote:
Mort: Rams interest in Manziel is 'genuine'

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL Insiders that the Rams' interest in Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is "genuine." "I believe their interest is serious," added Mort. "There are people who believe they could take him at No. 2." There is increasing buzz surrounding St. Louis' volatile quarterback position, where with a $14.015 million salary, Sam Bradford is arguably the most overpaid player in football. Installing Manziel as their starter, and moving on from Bradford, would save the Rams roughly $7 million in immediate cap space while adding a dynamic dual-threat under center, building up the offense in division-rivals San Francisco and Seattle's likeness.


http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9271/johnny-manziel

_________________
Follow me on Facebook - Phinfever - Miami Dolphins Fan Site @BigDavePhinfever

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever


Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:42 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
Sounds like at least 10 teams have legit interest in him.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 am
Posts: 1480
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Well, we didn't draft any of these guys.

_________________
Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 8921
Smoke screens galore. The Rams are genuine on Mansiel...lol


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: bust predictor
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15335
Location: Raleigh, NC
Makchell wrote:
Smoke screens galore. The Rams are genuine on Mansiel...lol


Hillarious, isn't it? Jerry Jones didn't draft him either. This was a huge smoke screen.

_________________
Follow me on Facebook - Phinfever - Miami Dolphins Fan Site @BigDavePhinfever

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever


Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r