View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 Speculation on Hartline's future with the Fins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Speculation on Hartline's future with the Fins
Quote:
Brian Hartline (knee) is expected to ready for minicamp.
Hartline suffered a torn PCL in Week 17, but managed to avoid surgery. He hasn't had any setbacks and is currently ahead of schedule in his recovery. The Dolphins can save $4 million by releasing Hartline next offseason, so he's entering a make-or-break year in 2014.

-Rotoworld

Quote:
The Dolphins would consider a receiver as high as the second round and like Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks, although he is projected to go higher than No. 50 overall, when Miami will makes its second-round pick. The Dolphins also might look at FSU receiver Kelvin Benjamin, but he might go higher.
If Miami gets a receiver as high as the second round, it would likely mean the departure of receiver Brian Hartline after the 2014 season, the source said. Miami would save $4 million by releasing Hartline after this season.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... an-/nfdB8/

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:43 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Re: Speculation on Hartline's future with the Fins
Very Interesting.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Boy, some folks just will not let Mike Wallace go. David Smith from ProFootballTalk.com speculates about Wallace future with the Dolphins interest in Wide Receivers. It's Hartline, Gibson and Matthews who need to be worried. Any way, this is the article.

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 19, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
Mike Wallace

The Dolphins have denied reports that they want to trade wide receiver Mike Wallace, and it appears highly unlikely that Wallace will play anywhere other than Miami this season. But there are big questions about whether Wallace has a future in Miami beyond 2014.

The latest question comes from Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, who reports that the Dolphins are closely scrutinizing several receivers they could take in the first or second round, including LSU’s Odell Beckham, USC’s Marqise Lee, Mississippi’s Donte Moncrief, Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks and Florida State’s Kelvin Benjamin. Jackson adds that “if the Dolphins do add a receiver in the first three rounds, it will raise questions about their intentions with Wallace in 2015 and beyond.”

The reality is that Dolphins General Manager Dennis Hickey probably doesn’t have any intentions with Wallace in 2015 and beyond. Hickey wasn’t in Miami when former G.M. Jeff Ireland signed Wallace, and Hickey probably thinks what most people think, which is that Ireland overpaid to acquire Wallace last year.

The Dolphins won’t trade Wallace not because they don’t want to, but because his contract makes it all but impossible. First, Miami would take an immediate cap charge of $8.8 million if Wallace is traded before June 1. Secondly, any team that trades for Wallace would be taking on his fully guaranteed salary of $15 million this season. That’s not going to happen.

So don’t be surprised if Hickey drafts a receiver this year who could replace Wallace as Miami’s No. 1 receiver next year.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I could see Miami (under a new GM now) wanting to move on from Hartline and/or Wallace a year or two down the road. If we draft a cheaper version of Wallace ('I.E.' Moncrief-vertical speedster) and get a true prototypical west coast receiver like a Cody Latimer type for example, we can keep our salary cap in better shape while improving the core and getting younger at the position.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:45 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

swerve13 wrote:
I could see Miami (under a new GM now) wanting to move on from Hartline and/or Wallace a year or two down the road. If we draft a cheaper version of Wallace ('I.E.' Moncrief-vertical speedster) and get a true prototypical west coast receiver like a Cody Latimer type for example, we can keep our salary cap in better shape while improving the core and getting younger at the position.

Moncreif has good speed, but very few are in Wallace category. Also, if the Dolphins are looking at possibly taking multiple wide receivers, I don't see them taking a TE.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I personally think Moncrief is a better all around receiver than Wallace, they are so similar. Feels like I'm watching Wallace when I see his highlights, but Moncrief is bigger and plays more physical than Wallace. I don't think we will draft 2 receivers this draft, but we could take one this year (2nd or 3rd round) and then take another receiver in maybe round 1 next year.

Kind of how the Packers keep upgrading throughout the years. Went from Freeman/Brooks to Walker/Fergueson to Driver/Jennings to Jennings/Jones/Nelson to Nelson/Cobb/Boykins.
Always transitioning and getting younger without dropping off production.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:41 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Whether its Hartline or Wallace. I believe its safe to say. Hickey is not happy with this talented Wr corp.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Here is what I don't understand. If Mike Wallace left 15-20 TDs on the field and consistently gets open deep then why wouldn't a team with an elite QB find a way to open up cap space and make the deal for him? Wouldn't that change every game?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:36 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Here is what I don't understand. If Mike Wallace left 15-20 TDs on the field and consistently gets open deep then why wouldn't a team with an elite QB find a way to open up cap space and make the deal for him? Wouldn't that change every game?

Mike Wallace is not that complete WR that a Larry Fitzgerald or a Calvin Johnson is. He is a speed guy that run certain routes WELL. He can take a top off a defense and this is something Moncrief is not.

With that said, Miami certainly left points on the board with Wallace last year. He consistently got behind DB and Ryan consistently missed him, and that has to change.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:07 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

How about Miami just worries about improving the offensive line and Tannehill gets his timing down, so that those 15 touchdown catches that Wallace's is clearly capable of getting is with the Dolphins and not some other team?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:09 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
jammer wrote:

Mike Wallace is not that complete WR that a Larry Fitzgerald or a Calvin Johnson is. He is a speed guy that run certain routes WELL. He can take a top off a defense and this is something Moncrief is not.

With that said, Miami certainly left points on the board with Wallace last year. He consistently got behind DB and Ryan consistently missed him, and that has to change.

My post was sarcastic, and I agree there were TDs Tannehill left on the board. But I don't think it was as dramatically one sided as people make it out to be. Otherwise the Saints, Packers, Chargers and others would be knocking down Miami's door for Wallace.

As for Hartline, he goes down easy but also makes some great sideline catches and has great chemistry with Tannehill. I wouldn't want Miami to be so quick to replace him.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Otherwise the Saints, Packers, Chargers and others would be knocking down Miami's door for Wallace.

I think there are plenty of teams that IF Wallace had a more friendly contract, you can bet there would have been those that would line up for him.

It takes two yes with him and Tannehill being on the same page and also it is clearly evident a better line could have assisted into some of those deep throws, but make no mistake, Wallace is clearly capable of snagging 15 touchdown catches with his elite speed and ability to toast most any defense at any given time.

This entire situation needs to improve all the way around or the Dolphins are wasting a guy that can open up the rest of the offense. This is my opinion and the way I see it.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:40 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

I know Hartlines numbers does not justify his contract but he seems to be Tannehills favorite receiver who he has the most chemistry with. Plus he seems to extend drives by catching 3rd down passes. If he is healthy I would hate to see him go elsewhere.
I also think this season will prove we have an elite QB.
If he stays or goes would not care so much about Wallace. He was in the right place at the right time last season as we were so desperate for a big name receiver both for on the field & off the field reasons. Lets see how he does this season being Lazor powered.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:09 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

This feels like an effective smokescreen to me.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:19 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FINesse wrote:
I know Hartlines numbers does not justify his contract but he seems to be Tannehills favorite receiver who he has the most chemistry with. Plus he seems to extend drives by catching 3rd down passes. If he is healthy I would hate to see him go elsewhere.

If he stays or goes would not care so much about Wallace. He was in the right place at the right time last season as we were so desperate for a big name receiver both for on the field & off the field reasons. Lets see how he does this season being Lazor powered.

Tannehill can't find another "favorite" receiver to catch 3rd down passes?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Sure he can, his name is Jared Abbrederis from Wisconsin and can be gotten in round 4 of this draft. He's a suped up version of Hartline. Part Ricky Proehl, part Jordy Nelson. He's an outstanding route runner with outstanding hands and would be a hell of alot cheaper than Hartline.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:10 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:

I'm actually with you, FINesse.

The Dolphins should always be looking to draft playmakers as you cannot always afford to keep your free agents. Hartline could have been a player that the Dolphins didn't want to overpay, but they failed to bring up a replacement through the draft.

Myself, I am a Hartline and a Wallace supporter. Wallace missed some passes that he should have caught, but he did what we brought him in here to do: stretch the field, get open deep, open things up for the other receivers, and find the end zone. Well, finding the end zone would have happened if Tannehill had hit him deep and we'd be singing a different song today. And Hartline caught some incredible passes last year.

BTW, this is just speculation from the Palm Beach Post's Andrew Abramson. So far this offseason, the Dolphins are looking to replace Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, and Rishard Matthews.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
BTW, this is just speculation from the Palm Beach Post's Andrew Abramson. So far this offseason, the Dolphins are looking to replace Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, and Rishard Matthews.

Of course it's speculation. The Dolphins aren't going to tell anyone their plans, I mean c'mon. LOL

Speculation or not though, it doesn't make it illogical. Only Dolphins fans seem to be married to these guys.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:15 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Seriously every week there seems to be a report about the Dolphins and tbh other then the visits from free agents and draft picks everything has been pretty much a lie. Now this draft is very good and we can find studs anywhere so you get another one you bring super depth and flexibility if you want to do something with Hartline/Wallace/Gibson in the future but to make a guess now is laughable because of the talent pool this draft has and considering that Hartline, Gibson and Binns are coming back from injury the wr position like I have been saying for months is something to watch out for in the draft

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:54 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

But there are big questions about whether Wallace has a future in Miami beyond 2014.

Add RT, LBS and the rest of the receivers as well.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I totally just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out who's initials LBS were. Time for bed!

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:23 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I can definitely see Hartline going to New England and wreaking havoc with Tommy boy...

I like Hartline, would hope we keep him - but hey that business side sneaks up on ya too.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
I can definitely see Hartline going to New England and wreaking havoc with Tommy boy...

I like Hartline, would hope we keep him - but hey that business side sneaks up on ya too.

I think his contract will become a problem....or has already been deemed a problem by Hickey.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:07 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

swerve13 wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

I think his contract will become a problem....or has already been deemed a problem by Hickey.

I mean............ it can be restructured pretty easily if Hartline agrees

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:16 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

Sure he can, his name is Jared Abbrederis from Wisconsin and can be gotten in round 4 of this draft. He's a suped up version of Hartline. Part Ricky Proehl, part Jordy Nelson. He's an outstanding route runner with outstanding hands and would be a hell of alot cheaper than Hartline.

...and has never taken a snap in the NFL but can instantly replace Hartline.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

No kidding! Let someone get some NFL experience before making an out of the blue statement (sorry no offense) that this kid who has never played a down in the NFL can just unseat Hartline?

You do realize how that sounds?

:embarrassed:

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Thats what the draft is for guys, you,re suppose to get better and replace overpaid vets, which he most definitely is. Stop making Hartline out to be more than what he is, which is maybe the 30th best receiver in the NFL. I didnt say replace him immediately, but if you get an Abbrederis this year, by his 2nd year he could definitely unseat Hartline. Thats what good teams like Green Bay do. We just cling to average players in Miami and settle for that. Just like everyone thought Bess was so irreplaceable, guess he wasn't. Same goes for Wallace if we draft a guy like Odell Beckham. By the time Beckham reaches his 3rd year Wallace could be released to unburden the team's salary cap.

Last edited by swerve13 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Hartline is a definitely a decent NFL receiver. The speculation that this kid from Wisconsin makes it to the NFL and bests what Hartline has done (whether you think he is not all that or not) is all a gamble of talk right now.

When Hartline is healthy he has a great chemistry with Tannehill and I would not be surprised one bit IMO that Hartline gets a 1200-1300 yard season and 8-10 touchdowns as a break out year.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

Your words. Not mine. I never said instantly. But he's a better prospect than hartline was when he entered the draft.

Last edited by swerve13 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:10 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
when Hartline is healthy he has a great chemistry with Tannehill and I would not be surprised one bit IMO that Hartline gets a 1200-1300 yard season and 8-10 touchdowns as a break out year.

I do not think he is capable of those numbers. Not consistent enough. I think he is what he already is.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:24 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
I know Hartlines numbers does not justify his contract but he seems to be Tannehills favorite receiver who he has the most chemistry with..

I read this a lot. What am I missing in not seeing Hartline as his favorite target? I do not see Tanny seeking Hartline out.

I see Tanny this week going to Wr. A, then next week going to Wr. B I think Tanny rookie yr he relied on Hartline more, but last yr I did not see he is my trusted sword.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

No kidding! Let someone get some NFL experience before making an out of the blue statement (sorry no offense) that this kid who has never played a down in the NFL can just unseat Hartline?

You do realize how that sounds?

:embarrassed:

Doesnt sound nearly as crazy as your statement that Kirk Cousins is a very good starting caliber quarterback.
:haha

Last edited by swerve13 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:00 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Hartline only had 3 games where he surpassed 70 yards receiving this year. And he was hardly a factor in the 2 most important games at the end of the season against Buffalo and the Jets. 2 catches in each. Hardly a Superstar worthy of a huge contract.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:12 am

Dphins4me wrote:
FINesse wrote:
I know Hartlines numbers does not justify his contract but he seems to be Tannehills favorite receiver who he has the most chemistry with..

I read this a lot. What am I missing in not seeing Hartline as his favorite target? I do not see Tanny seeking Hartline out.

I see Tanny this week going to Wr. A, then next week going to Wr. B I think Tanny rookie yr he relied on Hartline more, but last yr I did not see he is my trusted sword.

D4ME ... I get what you are saying & I am not a stat checking guy so the stats might prove me wrong as well. But from the games I saw live & watched on TV , it just seemed to me that when we converted in needy situations (although we did not convert that often I will grant) it just seemed to me that Hartline was the guy who he went to. I am by no way saying Hartline is elite or even great or even good. But for Tannehills needs right now he is adequate.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Dolphins may not need more playmakers for Tannehill to succeed, but a guy like Brandin Cooks or Odell Beckham Jr. would provide the run-after-catch yards that Miami's playmakers didn't provide last year. In 2013, Hartline was 58th in the NFL in RAC yards and Wallace was 70th. Charles Clay was 41st with 382 RAC yards. The Dolphins were ranked 23rd in the league in RAC as a team.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/4/22/5 ... n-hartline

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:14 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
The Dolphins may not need more playmakers for Tannehill to succeed, but a guy like Brandin Cooks or Odell Beckham Jr. would provide the run-after-catch yards that Miami's playmakers didn't provide last year. In 2013, Hartline was 58th in the NFL in RAC yards and Wallace was 70th. Charles Clay was 41st with 382 RAC yards. The Dolphins were ranked 23rd in the league in RAC as a team.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/4/22/5 ... n-hartline

The 3 step drop and short pass patterns might have also factored into those stats. Tannehill did not hit receivers in stride on longer patterns that often. The offensive line was a major factor in all this. The question is, will Tannehill's accuracy on the longer throws improve with better protection? The guy seems great with the short passes and on those sideline throws and back-shoulder throws, but it was so frustrating to see long passes frequently being underthrown....often leading to an incompletion, or an immediate tackling of the receiver who came back for the ball. Tom Brady throws his receivers open. He sure got a lot of mileage out of his rookies this year. I hope Tannehill improves and becomes one of the top QB's in the league.....this is probably the make or break year.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]