View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Quote:
Taylor experienced such a miserable first season in the NFL that he wasn’t sure he’d continue playing. He battled a hernia and torn abductor (groin area) muscle while playing in nine games for the Miami Dolphins without a start.

“It was to the point last year I thought I was done playing football,” Taylor said. “I didn’t want to play anymore. I was out of it. Thank God for my girlfriend, my family, my pastors and God — because I made it through and kept working. I’m really looking forward to this year. I’m going to turn a lot of heads.”

Taylor said the injuries were demoralizing.

“Coming back, not being myself, being slower, not as quick, not as agile — watching on Sunday, knowing you want to play, knowing you’re better than some guys and there’s nothing you can do about it,” he said.

Now the 2013 second-round draft pick is healthy and confident again.

“We’ve got a lot of competition (with the Dolphins) but I’m not scared of competition,” Taylor said. “May the best man win. I played with a lot of great DBs here. … I’m healthy and ready to take over the world. That’s my plan.”

http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/former- ... ds-in-nfl/

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
The kid had kidney problems and needed an operation on his hernia. He had a lot to overcome. I am interested to see what he can actually do healthy this year. He was also a track star in college.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The kid had kidney problems and needed an operation on his hernia. He had a lot to overcome. I am interested to see what he can actually do healthy this year. He was also a track star in college.

I definitely agree with you Dave! Looking forward to seeing him help our secondary this year!

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
“It was to the point last year I thought I was done playing football,” Taylor said. “I didn’t want to play anymore. I was out of it. Thank God for my girlfriend, my family, my pastors and God — because I made it through and kept working. I’m really looking forward to this year. I’m going to turn a lot of heads.”

“Coming back, not being myself, being slower, not as quick, not as agile — watching on Sunday, knowing you want to play, knowing you’re better than some guys and there’s nothing you can do about it,” he said.

I love hearing that.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:38 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

To me, he doesn't cone off as mentally strong if he thought about quitting. Last time we had a player on our roster who was not mentally strong, this team was embarrassed by a huge locker room scandal

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:26 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The kid had kidney problems and needed an operation on his hernia.

So let's waste a 2nd rd pick on him..... :hithead: I thought he did quit football last year.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Man, give the kid a break! Such negativity from some of you! Consider being a bit more positive in your outlook!

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finhead34 wrote:
Man, give the kid a break! Such negativity from some of you! Consider being a bit more positive in your outlook!

I'm glad he didn't quit. But the negativity should be reserved for Jeff Ireland who apparently didn't do his homework when drafting guys like Taylor and Martin. Instead, he just asks players if their mothers are hookers.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Taylor should've been drafted later but I respect him for sticking it out and now I hope he shows out big time this year

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

So for the record, if Taylor goes on to have a Pro Bowl season, was Ireland still dumb for taking him when he did?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:17 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

k-dash wrote:
So for the record, if Taylor goes on to have a Pro Bowl season, was Ireland still dumb for taking him when he did?

He gambled on a kid he believed in and it paid off. Now is it dumb? Im not sure because going into the draft I didn't know much about him so I can't say if he was that much of a steal originally or if others were ready to pounce on him

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:19 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

We took him about right where he was projected to be drafted. A long body with nice speed and great ball skills.

Last edited by swerve13 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:23 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We took about right where he was projected to be drafted. A long body with nice speed and great ball skills.

Add in kidney problems, a hernia, and lack of mental toughness.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I've been positive with the Fins for years now. Now I'm a realist. When the entire draft sucked last year, it's hard to be positive and rah rah over these guys.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:53 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Makchell wrote:
We took about right where he was projected to be drafted. A long body with nice speed and great ball skills.

Add in kidney problems, a hernia, and lack of mental toughness.

What are you basing this "lack of mental toughness" comment on? Do you know him personally?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:59 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
What are you basing this "lack of mental toughness" comment on? Do you know him personally?

I can see why someone would think mental toughness is an issue, but really, football is a very emotional game and players can get on some real highs and lows. The real medical problems that he faced coming into the league would make anyone wonder if their bocy can take it. The way he played the college game lets us know that he is much tougher than we think.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

What are you basing this "lack of mental toughness" comment on

Almost quitting football, weak IMO.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:17 am

Makchell wrote:
What are you basing this "lack of mental toughness" comment on

Almost quitting football, weak IMO.

Did you go what he was going through with the injuries, health issues and inability to perform at the level he was used to because of this?

Is a requirement for being mentally tough that you're always 100% sure of what you're doing, that you never have questions in your mind about what's next?

Where is this perfect human that never has a doubt and never asks themselves if they are doing the right thing when things get tough?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Did you go what he was going through with the injuries, health issues and inability to perform at the level he was used to because of this?

And you know this? I'm sure that's what it was. "I'm use to being so good that I need to quit even though with modern medicine I can be as good when healthy".

Is a requirement for being mentally tough that you're always 100% sure of what you're doing, that you never have questions in your mind about what's next?

Maybe, I really don't have an answer to this. Yes, no, maybe so.

Where is this perfect human that never has a doubt and never asks themselves if they are doing the right thing when things get tough?

It's called mentally tough.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 am

Makchell wrote:
And you know this? I'm sure that's what it was. "I'm use to being so good that I need to quit even though with modern medicine I can be as good when healthy".

Jamar Taylor's health issues have been documented and discussed on this forum. He could not take medication to relieve inflammation from his hernia because of kidney issues. It slowed down his recovery time significantly.

And I "know this" because if you actually read the article that was posted, it's what he said...

Quote:
It's called mentally tough.

Your definition of mentally tough does not exist. Even the toughest person has moments of doubt when they are going through a challenging time. Not a single one of us is perfect or infallible.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:17 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

There is certainly some cause for concern about him wanting to quit, that doesn't mean he can't put this all behind him and learn from the experience.

The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position, it drives him even more to get on the field, Taylor knew his situation, he should have known that he wasn't going to be able to do much at all last year due to his injuries so he shouldn't be so prone to giving up and that is a trait that we may see again, we can't know that but it does bear watching.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Jamar Taylor's health issues have been documented and discussed on this forum. He could not take medication to relieve inflammation from his hernia because of kidney issues. It slowed down his recovery time significantly.

And I "know this" because if you actually read the article that was posted, it's what he said...

I know this as well Rich. This has nothing to do with our discussion involving him quitting. The above has everything to do with drafting this guy in the 2nd rd.

Your definition of mentally tough does not exist. Even the toughest person has moments of doubt when they are going through a challenging time. Not a single one of us is perfect or infallible

No one is perfect, some of us are more mentally tough than others. To me, IMO, is that Taylor isn't mentally tough. What happens when he gets torched on gameday? "coach, I might quit cause it's tough out there". Luckily he plays football where he can get Millions before he thinks about "quitting" his job.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:27 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

There is certainly some cause for concern about him wanting to quit, that doesn't mean he can't put this all behind him and learn from the experience.

The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position, it drives him even more to get on the field, Taylor knew his situation, he should have known that he wasn't going to be able to do much at all last year due to his injuries so he shouldn't be so prone to giving up and that is a trait that we may see again, we can't know that but it does bear watching.

Great post, and yes, he could turn it around and learn from it. He is a kid and we all know that youth is wasted on the young. Hopefully Taylor pans out and then you guys can all bust my chops about me calling him (or the whole draft a bust). lol

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 am

Makchell wrote:
No one is perfect, some of us are more mentally tough than others. To me, IMO, is that Taylor isn't mentally tough. What happens when he gets torched on gameday? "coach, I might quit cause it's tough out there". Luckily he plays football where he can get Millions before he thinks about "quitting" his job.

Have you ever gone through the pain of inflammation in the groin?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yes, but I never was going to quit my job over it!!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 am

Finster wrote:
The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position

What does "text book mentally tough guy" even mean? And there is a difference between WANTING to quit and feeling like you might not be able to play again.

How many guys have doubts about what they're doing but don't outwardly express it because they are "afraid" their toughness will be questioned?

It could be argued that that is an insecurity and a guy like Taylor is secure enough in himself to outwardly express that doubt crept into his mind because of all the health issues he was going through.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am

Makchell wrote:

I am sure your job doesn't require you to play with elite speed and quickness. Otherwise, you wouldn't be on these forums, you'd be on ESPN.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am

Makchell wrote:

By the way, what does inflammation in the groin from a sports hernia feel like?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It wasn't a hernia that I had. Might be TMI to some, but I had a vas. and the tubes didn't close all the way so millions of sperm cells leaked out into my balls and my body attacked them by building calcium around them. My nuts were swollen and the pain felt like they were in a vice and on fire. I also had to pull a hook through my thumb 45miles offshore with no pain meds and a barb stuck in it which ripped my thumb. I broke my collarbone playing football and kept playing until I couldn't lift my arm the next day. I punched a guy and broke my knuckle where the Dr. had to message it back in place. I also tore my calf in the military, and finished the mission limping and almost crying in pain. Again, I never questioned quitting football, fishing, going AWOL, or never having a sex again. You cowboy the f*ck up and take it, it's called life and the dude's life is playing a game!

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:00 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I am sure your job doesn't require you to play with elite speed and quickness. Otherwise, you wouldn't be on these forums, you'd be on ESPN.

Right, but it's not like he can't heal from it. It wasn't a career ending injury, so to me, he's a sissy, secure about his "toughness" to come out or not. I'm glad he's not in the military or emergency services jobs, I'd hate for him to question his decisions to fight or help someone without thinking about quitting.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position

What does "text book mentally tough guy" even mean? And there is a difference between WANTING to quit and feeling like you might not be able to play again.

How many guys have doubts about what they're doing but don't outwardly express it because they are "afraid" their toughness will be questioned?

It could be argued that that is an insecurity and a guy like Taylor is secure enough in himself to outwardly express that doubt crept into his mind because of all the health issues he was going through.

Some one who is mentally tough doesn't give up, that's what mentally tough means, they don't think about giving up, it's not about right or wrong, it's not about fallible or infallible, it's about a mind set, it's about a persons intestinal fortitude.

As far as feeling the pain of an inflamed groin, it's called an injury, something every player in the league has to deal with, he is not exempt from that and this is where the mentally tough guy shines, because no matter what he's making it back on the field better than ever and all those mother_______ had better watch the f___ out!

That is the mindset of a mentally tough guy, there is no right or wrong in it, it's just a mind set, quitting doesn't enter into their thoughts because they have to deal with something that is part and parcel of their job, it's just not in their DNA.

This kid may end up being fine but he isn't what you would call mentally tough, mentally tough guys don't even think about quitting because they have an injury.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 am

Makchell wrote:

It wasn't a hernia that I had. Might be TMI to some, but I had a vas. and the tubes didn't close all the way so millions of sperm cells leaked out into my balls and my body attacked them by building calcium around them. My nuts were swollen and the pain felt like they were in a vice and on fire. I also had to pull a hook through my thumb 45miles offshore with no pain meds and a barb stuck in it which ripped my thumb. I broke my collarbone playing football and kept playing until I couldn't lift my arm the next day. I punched a guy and broke my knuckle where the Dr. had to message it back in place. I also tore my calf in the military, and finished the mission limping and almost crying in pain. Again, I never questioned quitting football, fishing, going AWOL, or never having a sex again. You cowboy the f*ck up and take it, it's called life and the dude's life is playing a game!

Well I can tell you I had the same thing happen to me that happened to Jamar Taylor. I had a hernia and I had inflammation (in my case, I do not have a kidney disorder, I simply had a stupid doctor that forgot to prescribe me ibuprofen). I had three days of inflammation. I couldn't walk or even move my legs without feeling like my nuts were literally exploding. In fact, the first time I felt the pain, that's exactly what I thought had happened. At the time, I didn't know it was inflammation. If I did, I would have taken an advil and avoided the pain.

In Taylor's case. He can't take advil and had to deal with that crap for MONTHS... not days or weeks.

With the long list of injuries I've had from sports or some of the other stupid crap I did when I was younger, none of them came close to two things.

Inflammation from hernia surgery and passing a kidney stone.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:21 am

Finster wrote:
Some one who is mentally tough doesn't give up, that's what mentally tough means, they don't think about giving up, it's not about right or wrong, it's not about fallible or infallible, it's about a mind set, it's about a persons intestinal fortitude.

Everyone thinks about giving up at something at some point in life. Even the toughest person when faced with a challenge can question themselves. So I disagree with your definition of mentally tough and I don't think there is a single person in this world that hasn't had doubt creep into their mind at some point.

Mentally tough are those who have those doubts and overcome them.

Fantasy characters are those that never have a doubt. They don't exist.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:23 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

Everyone thinks about giving up at something at some point in life. Even the toughest person when faced with a challenge can question themselves. So I disagree with your definition of mentally tough and I don't think there is a single person in this world that hasn't had doubt creep into their mind at some point.

Mentally tough are those who have those doubts and overcome them.

Fantasy characters are those that never have a doubt. They don't exist.

It's not MY definition, it's THE definition;

"Mental toughness is many things and rather difficult to explain. Its qualities are sacrifice and self-denial. Also, most importantly, it is combined with a perfectly disciplined will that refuses to give in. It’s a state of mind – you could call it ‘character in action.’"

"the ability to consistently perform towards the upper range of your talent and skill regardless of competitive circumstances."

Graham Jones, Sheldon Hanton, and Declan Connaughton of the United States used personal construct psychology in interviews with elite athletes, as well as elite-level coaches and sport psychologists, to arrive at the following definition of mental toughness:

Mental toughness is "Having the natural or developed psychological edge that enables you to: generally, cope better than your opponents with the many demands (competition, training, lifestyle) that sport places on a performer; specifically, be more consistent and better than your opponents in remaining determined, focused, confident, and in control under pressure."

This is what mental toughness means, it's not my opinion.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 am

You said mentally tough means not thinking about giving up.

I don't see that specified in any of the definitions you provided. Thank you also for not supplying a link to the source. Thank you also for nitpicking information to fit your argument.

From your same source (I think since you didn't actually supply it, but it contains some of the other stuff you posted)

Quote:
Mental toughness is a contested term, in that many people use the term liberally to refer to any set of positive attributes that helps a person to cope with difficult situations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_toughness

If it is a contested term, it means there is disagreement on the definition, therefore varying opinions.

Good night.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Makchell wrote:

Great post, and yes, he could turn it around and learn from it. He is a kid and we all know that youth is wasted on the young. Hopefully Taylor pans out and then you guys can all bust my chops about me calling him (or the whole draft a bust). lol

I don't like to hear about young players saying "they almost quit" either. It sounds fishy that early in a career. Keenan Allen said the same thing when he wasnt getting on the field during his rookie year. I mean 'really guy??? Didnt Jason Taylor almost have his leg amputated because the compartment syndrome was so bad?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Ronnie Lott cut his finger off to con't playing a game. Jason Taylor's pinky was at a 90 degree and he had it taped to con't playing.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:10 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I don't like to hear about young players saying "they almost quit" either. It sounds fishy that early in a career. Keenan Allen said the same thing when he wasnt getting on the field during his rookie year. I mean 'really guy??? Didnt Jason Taylor almost have his leg amputated because the compartment syndrome was so bad?

Jason Taylor also almost quit football the year before he was named Defensive MVP... so he isn't mentally tough.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:12 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You said mentally tough means not thinking about giving up.

I don't see that specified in any of the definitions you provided. Thank you also for not supplying a link to the source. Thank you also for nitpicking information to fit your argument.

From your same source (I think since you didn't actually supply it, but it contains some of the other stuff you posted)

Quote:

Mental toughness is a contested term, in that many people use the term liberally to refer to any set of positive attributes that helps a person to cope with difficult situations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_toughness

If it is a contested term, it means there is disagreement on the definition, therefore varying opinions.

Good night.

Starting to split hairs here. So I guess the bottonline is that Me, Finster, and Swerve have concerns regarding his mental toughness and you say it's OK cause it was a tough time in his life. Hey, it's an opinion on both sides and I hope Taylor comes out this year and seals the other starting DB slot opposite of Grimes. Nice, civil debate guys, thanks for the fun an missed work time! lol

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Makchell wrote:
Starting to split hairs here. So I guess the bottonline is that Me, Finster, and Swerve have concerns regarding his mental toughness and you say it's OK cause it was a tough time in his life. Hey, it's an opinion on both sides and I hope Taylor comes out this year and seals the other starting DB slot opposite of Grimes. Nice, civil debate guys, thanks for the fun an missed work time! lol

I didn't say I don't have concerns.

But you flat out called him mentally weak.

There is a difference. It is one thing to wonder what is going on in his head that he thought about leaving the game, it is another thing to declare that the guy is a mental midget because he questioned certain things during some trials and tribulations in his life.

And yes, this is making a slow day go by quicker. :yay:

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next