View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 pm



Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013 
Author Message
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 1591
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Post Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Quote:
Taylor experienced such a miserable first season in the NFL that he wasn’t sure he’d continue playing. He battled a hernia and torn abductor (groin area) muscle while playing in nine games for the Miami Dolphins without a start.

“It was to the point last year I thought I was done playing football,” Taylor said. “I didn’t want to play anymore. I was out of it. Thank God for my girlfriend, my family, my pastors and God — because I made it through and kept working. I’m really looking forward to this year. I’m going to turn a lot of heads.”

Taylor said the injuries were demoralizing.

“Coming back, not being myself, being slower, not as quick, not as agile — watching on Sunday, knowing you want to play, knowing you’re better than some guys and there’s nothing you can do about it,” he said.

Now the 2013 second-round draft pick is healthy and confident again.

“We’ve got a lot of competition (with the Dolphins) but I’m not scared of competition,” Taylor said. “May the best man win. I played with a lot of great DBs here. … I’m healthy and ready to take over the world. That’s my plan.”


http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/former- ... ds-in-nfl/

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 pm
Profile
Online
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8391
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
The kid had kidney problems and needed an operation on his hernia. He had a lot to overcome. I am interested to see what he can actually do healthy this year. He was also a track star in college.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4555
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Quote:
The kid had kidney problems and needed an operation on his hernia. He had a lot to overcome. I am interested to see what he can actually do healthy this year. He was also a track star in college.


I definitely agree with you Dave! Looking forward to seeing him help our secondary this year!


Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:32 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 1591
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Quote:
“It was to the point last year I thought I was done playing football,” Taylor said. “I didn’t want to play anymore. I was out of it. Thank God for my girlfriend, my family, my pastors and God — because I made it through and kept working. I’m really looking forward to this year. I’m going to turn a lot of heads.”

“Coming back, not being myself, being slower, not as quick, not as agile — watching on Sunday, knowing you want to play, knowing you’re better than some guys and there’s nothing you can do about it,” he said.


I love hearing that.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1127
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
To me, he doesn't cone off as mentally strong if he thought about quitting. Last time we had a player on our roster who was not mentally strong, this team was embarrassed by a huge locker room scandal

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:26 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
The kid had kidney problems and needed an operation on his hernia.

So let's waste a 2nd rd pick on him..... :hithead: I thought he did quit football last year.


Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:57 am
Posts: 4555
Location: Houston, Texas
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Man, give the kid a break! Such negativity from some of you! Consider being a bit more positive in your outlook!


Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1127
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Finhead34 wrote:
Man, give the kid a break! Such negativity from some of you! Consider being a bit more positive in your outlook!


I'm glad he didn't quit. But the negativity should be reserved for Jeff Ireland who apparently didn't do his homework when drafting guys like Taylor and Martin. Instead, he just asks players if their mothers are hookers.

_________________
Image


Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 465
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Taylor should've been drafted later but I respect him for sticking it out and now I hope he shows out big time this year


Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 874
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
So for the record, if Taylor goes on to have a Pro Bowl season, was Ireland still dumb for taking him when he did?


Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:17 pm
Profile
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 465
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
k-dash wrote:
So for the record, if Taylor goes on to have a Pro Bowl season, was Ireland still dumb for taking him when he did?

He gambled on a kid he believed in and it paid off. Now is it dumb? Im not sure because going into the draft I didn't know much about him so I can't say if he was that much of a steal originally or if others were ready to pounce on him


Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:19 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
We took him about right where he was projected to be drafted. A long body with nice speed and great ball skills.


Last edited by swerve13 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.



Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:23 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
We took about right where he was projected to be drafted. A long body with nice speed and great ball skills.

Add in kidney problems, a hernia, and lack of mental toughness.


Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Man, give the kid a break! Such negativity from some of you! Consider being a bit more positive in your outlook!

I've been positive with the Fins for years now. Now I'm a realist. When the entire draft sucked last year, it's hard to be positive and rah rah over these guys.


Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:53 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Makchell wrote:
We took about right where he was projected to be drafted. A long body with nice speed and great ball skills.

Add in kidney problems, a hernia, and lack of mental toughness.


What are you basing this "lack of mental toughness" comment on? Do you know him personally?

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:59 am
Profile
Online
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8391
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Rich wrote:
What are you basing this "lack of mental toughness" comment on? Do you know him personally?


I can see why someone would think mental toughness is an issue, but really, football is a very emotional game and players can get on some real highs and lows. The real medical problems that he faced coming into the league would make anyone wonder if their bocy can take it. The way he played the college game lets us know that he is much tougher than we think.

_________________
Phinfever Facebook

Image


Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
What are you basing this "lack of mental toughness" comment on

Almost quitting football, weak IMO.


Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:17 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Makchell wrote:
What are you basing this "lack of mental toughness" comment on

Almost quitting football, weak IMO.


Did you go what he was going through with the injuries, health issues and inability to perform at the level he was used to because of this?

Is a requirement for being mentally tough that you're always 100% sure of what you're doing, that you never have questions in your mind about what's next?

Where is this perfect human that never has a doubt and never asks themselves if they are doing the right thing when things get tough?

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Did you go what he was going through with the injuries, health issues and inability to perform at the level he was used to because of this?

And you know this? I'm sure that's what it was. "I'm use to being so good that I need to quit even though with modern medicine I can be as good when healthy".

Is a requirement for being mentally tough that you're always 100% sure of what you're doing, that you never have questions in your mind about what's next?

Maybe, I really don't have an answer to this. Yes, no, maybe so.

Where is this perfect human that never has a doubt and never asks themselves if they are doing the right thing when things get tough?

It's called mentally tough.


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Makchell wrote:
And you know this? I'm sure that's what it was. "I'm use to being so good that I need to quit even though with modern medicine I can be as good when healthy".


Jamar Taylor's health issues have been documented and discussed on this forum. He could not take medication to relieve inflammation from his hernia because of kidney issues. It slowed down his recovery time significantly.

And I "know this" because if you actually read the article that was posted, it's what he said...

Quote:
It's called mentally tough.


Your definition of mentally tough does not exist. Even the toughest person has moments of doubt when they are going through a challenging time. Not a single one of us is perfect or infallible.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:17 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 242
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
There is certainly some cause for concern about him wanting to quit, that doesn't mean he can't put this all behind him and learn from the experience.

The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position, it drives him even more to get on the field, Taylor knew his situation, he should have known that he wasn't going to be able to do much at all last year due to his injuries so he shouldn't be so prone to giving up and that is a trait that we may see again, we can't know that but it does bear watching.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Jamar Taylor's health issues have been documented and discussed on this forum. He could not take medication to relieve inflammation from his hernia because of kidney issues. It slowed down his recovery time significantly.

And I "know this" because if you actually read the article that was posted, it's what he said...


I know this as well Rich. This has nothing to do with our discussion involving him quitting. The above has everything to do with drafting this guy in the 2nd rd.

Your definition of mentally tough does not exist. Even the toughest person has moments of doubt when they are going through a challenging time. Not a single one of us is perfect or infallible

No one is perfect, some of us are more mentally tough than others. To me, IMO, is that Taylor isn't mentally tough. What happens when he gets torched on gameday? "coach, I might quit cause it's tough out there". Luckily he plays football where he can get Millions before he thinks about "quitting" his job.


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:27 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
There is certainly some cause for concern about him wanting to quit, that doesn't mean he can't put this all behind him and learn from the experience.

The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position, it drives him even more to get on the field, Taylor knew his situation, he should have known that he wasn't going to be able to do much at all last year due to his injuries so he shouldn't be so prone to giving up and that is a trait that we may see again, we can't know that but it does bear watching.


Great post, and yes, he could turn it around and learn from it. He is a kid and we all know that youth is wasted on the young. Hopefully Taylor pans out and then you guys can all bust my chops about me calling him (or the whole draft a bust). lol


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:31 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Makchell wrote:
No one is perfect, some of us are more mentally tough than others. To me, IMO, is that Taylor isn't mentally tough. What happens when he gets torched on gameday? "coach, I might quit cause it's tough out there". Luckily he plays football where he can get Millions before he thinks about "quitting" his job.


Have you ever gone through the pain of inflammation in the groin?

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Have you ever gone through the pain of inflammation in the groin?

Yes, but I never was going to quit my job over it!!


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Finster wrote:
The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position


What does "text book mentally tough guy" even mean? And there is a difference between WANTING to quit and feeling like you might not be able to play again.

How many guys have doubts about what they're doing but don't outwardly express it because they are "afraid" their toughness will be questioned?

It could be argued that that is an insecurity and a guy like Taylor is secure enough in himself to outwardly express that doubt crept into his mind because of all the health issues he was going through.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Makchell wrote:
Have you ever gone through the pain of inflammation in the groin?

Yes, but I never was going to quit my job over it!!


I am sure your job doesn't require you to play with elite speed and quickness. Otherwise, you wouldn't be on these forums, you'd be on ESPN.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Makchell wrote:
Have you ever gone through the pain of inflammation in the groin?

Yes, but I never was going to quit my job over it!!


By the way, what does inflammation in the groin from a sports hernia feel like?

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
By the way, what does inflammation in the groin from a sports hernia feel like?

It wasn't a hernia that I had. Might be TMI to some, but I had a vas. and the tubes didn't close all the way so millions of sperm cells leaked out into my balls and my body attacked them by building calcium around them. My nuts were swollen and the pain felt like they were in a vice and on fire. I also had to pull a hook through my thumb 45miles offshore with no pain meds and a barb stuck in it which ripped my thumb. I broke my collarbone playing football and kept playing until I couldn't lift my arm the next day. I punched a guy and broke my knuckle where the Dr. had to message it back in place. I also tore my calf in the military, and finished the mission limping and almost crying in pain. Again, I never questioned quitting football, fishing, going AWOL, or never having a sex again. You cowboy the f*ck up and take it, it's called life and the dude's life is playing a game!


Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:00 am
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
I am sure your job doesn't require you to play with elite speed and quickness. Otherwise, you wouldn't be on these forums, you'd be on ESPN.

Right, but it's not like he can't heal from it. It wasn't a career ending injury, so to me, he's a sissy, secure about his "toughness" to come out or not. I'm glad he's not in the military or emergency services jobs, I'd hate for him to question his decisions to fight or help someone without thinking about quitting.


Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 242
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position


What does "text book mentally tough guy" even mean? And there is a difference between WANTING to quit and feeling like you might not be able to play again.

How many guys have doubts about what they're doing but don't outwardly express it because they are "afraid" their toughness will be questioned?

It could be argued that that is an insecurity and a guy like Taylor is secure enough in himself to outwardly express that doubt crept into his mind because of all the health issues he was going through.


Some one who is mentally tough doesn't give up, that's what mentally tough means, they don't think about giving up, it's not about right or wrong, it's not about fallible or infallible, it's about a mind set, it's about a persons intestinal fortitude.

As far as feeling the pain of an inflamed groin, it's called an injury, something every player in the league has to deal with, he is not exempt from that and this is where the mentally tough guy shines, because no matter what he's making it back on the field better than ever and all those mother_______ had better watch the f___ out!

That is the mindset of a mentally tough guy, there is no right or wrong in it, it's just a mind set, quitting doesn't enter into their thoughts because they have to deal with something that is part and parcel of their job, it's just not in their DNA.

This kid may end up being fine but he isn't what you would call mentally tough, mentally tough guys don't even think about quitting because they have an injury.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Makchell wrote:
By the way, what does inflammation in the groin from a sports hernia feel like?

It wasn't a hernia that I had. Might be TMI to some, but I had a vas. and the tubes didn't close all the way so millions of sperm cells leaked out into my balls and my body attacked them by building calcium around them. My nuts were swollen and the pain felt like they were in a vice and on fire. I also had to pull a hook through my thumb 45miles offshore with no pain meds and a barb stuck in it which ripped my thumb. I broke my collarbone playing football and kept playing until I couldn't lift my arm the next day. I punched a guy and broke my knuckle where the Dr. had to message it back in place. I also tore my calf in the military, and finished the mission limping and almost crying in pain. Again, I never questioned quitting football, fishing, going AWOL, or never having a sex again. You cowboy the f*ck up and take it, it's called life and the dude's life is playing a game!


Well I can tell you I had the same thing happen to me that happened to Jamar Taylor. I had a hernia and I had inflammation (in my case, I do not have a kidney disorder, I simply had a stupid doctor that forgot to prescribe me ibuprofen). I had three days of inflammation. I couldn't walk or even move my legs without feeling like my nuts were literally exploding. In fact, the first time I felt the pain, that's exactly what I thought had happened. At the time, I didn't know it was inflammation. If I did, I would have taken an advil and avoided the pain.

In Taylor's case. He can't take advil and had to deal with that crap for MONTHS... not days or weeks.

With the long list of injuries I've had from sports or some of the other stupid crap I did when I was younger, none of them came close to two things.

Inflammation from hernia surgery and passing a kidney stone.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:21 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Finster wrote:
Some one who is mentally tough doesn't give up, that's what mentally tough means, they don't think about giving up, it's not about right or wrong, it's not about fallible or infallible, it's about a mind set, it's about a persons intestinal fortitude.


Everyone thinks about giving up at something at some point in life. Even the toughest person when faced with a challenge can question themselves. So I disagree with your definition of mentally tough and I don't think there is a single person in this world that hasn't had doubt creep into their mind at some point.

Mentally tough are those who have those doubts and overcome them.

Fantasy characters are those that never have a doubt. They don't exist.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:23 am
Profile
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 242
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
Some one who is mentally tough doesn't give up, that's what mentally tough means, they don't think about giving up, it's not about right or wrong, it's not about fallible or infallible, it's about a mind set, it's about a persons intestinal fortitude.


Everyone thinks about giving up at something at some point in life. Even the toughest person when faced with a challenge can question themselves. So I disagree with your definition of mentally tough and I don't think there is a single person in this world that hasn't had doubt creep into their mind at some point.

Mentally tough are those who have those doubts and overcome them.

Fantasy characters are those that never have a doubt. They don't exist.


It's not MY definition, it's THE definition;

"Mental toughness is many things and rather difficult to explain. Its qualities are sacrifice and self-denial. Also, most importantly, it is combined with a perfectly disciplined will that refuses to give in. It’s a state of mind – you could call it ‘character in action.’"

"the ability to consistently perform towards the upper range of your talent and skill regardless of competitive circumstances."

Graham Jones, Sheldon Hanton, and Declan Connaughton of the United States used personal construct psychology in interviews with elite athletes, as well as elite-level coaches and sport psychologists, to arrive at the following definition of mental toughness:

Mental toughness is "Having the natural or developed psychological edge that enables you to: generally, cope better than your opponents with the many demands (competition, training, lifestyle) that sport places on a performer; specifically, be more consistent and better than your opponents in remaining determined, focused, confident, and in control under pressure."

This is what mental toughness means, it's not my opinion.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 am
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
You said mentally tough means not thinking about giving up.

I don't see that specified in any of the definitions you provided. Thank you also for not supplying a link to the source. Thank you also for nitpicking information to fit your argument.

From your same source (I think since you didn't actually supply it, but it contains some of the other stuff you posted)

Quote:
Mental toughness is a contested term, in that many people use the term liberally to refer to any set of positive attributes that helps a person to cope with difficult situations


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_toughness

If it is a contested term, it means there is disagreement on the definition, therefore varying opinions.

Good night.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:00 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5673
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Makchell wrote:
There is certainly some cause for concern about him wanting to quit, that doesn't mean he can't put this all behind him and learn from the experience.

The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position, it drives him even more to get on the field, Taylor knew his situation, he should have known that he wasn't going to be able to do much at all last year due to his injuries so he shouldn't be so prone to giving up and that is a trait that we may see again, we can't know that but it does bear watching.


Great post, and yes, he could turn it around and learn from it. He is a kid and we all know that youth is wasted on the young. Hopefully Taylor pans out and then you guys can all bust my chops about me calling him (or the whole draft a bust). lol


I don't like to hear about young players saying "they almost quit" either. It sounds fishy that early in a career. Keenan Allen said the same thing when he wasnt getting on the field during his rookie year. I mean 'really guy??? Didnt Jason Taylor almost have his leg amputated because the compartment syndrome was so bad?


Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Ronnie Lott cut his finger off to con't playing a game. Jason Taylor's pinky was at a 90 degree and he had it taped to con't playing.


Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
swerve13 wrote:
Makchell wrote:
There is certainly some cause for concern about him wanting to quit, that doesn't mean he can't put this all behind him and learn from the experience.

The text book mentally tough guy doesn't want to quit in his position, it drives him even more to get on the field, Taylor knew his situation, he should have known that he wasn't going to be able to do much at all last year due to his injuries so he shouldn't be so prone to giving up and that is a trait that we may see again, we can't know that but it does bear watching.


Great post, and yes, he could turn it around and learn from it. He is a kid and we all know that youth is wasted on the young. Hopefully Taylor pans out and then you guys can all bust my chops about me calling him (or the whole draft a bust). lol


I don't like to hear about young players saying "they almost quit" either. It sounds fishy that early in a career. Keenan Allen said the same thing when he wasnt getting on the field during his rookie year. I mean 'really guy??? Didnt Jason Taylor almost have his leg amputated because the compartment syndrome was so bad?


Jason Taylor also almost quit football the year before he was named Defensive MVP... so he isn't mentally tough.

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:12 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 5725
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
You said mentally tough means not thinking about giving up.

I don't see that specified in any of the definitions you provided. Thank you also for not supplying a link to the source. Thank you also for nitpicking information to fit your argument.

From your same source (I think since you didn't actually supply it, but it contains some of the other stuff you posted)



Quote:

Mental toughness is a contested term, in that many people use the term liberally to refer to any set of positive attributes that helps a person to cope with difficult situations


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_toughness

If it is a contested term, it means there is disagreement on the definition, therefore varying opinions.

Good night.





Starting to split hairs here. So I guess the bottonline is that Me, Finster, and Swerve have concerns regarding his mental toughness and you say it's OK cause it was a tough time in his life. Hey, it's an opinion on both sides and I hope Taylor comes out this year and seals the other starting DB slot opposite of Grimes. Nice, civil debate guys, thanks for the fun an missed work time! lol


Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:15 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20596
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Jamar Taylor Almost "Quit Football" in 2013
Makchell wrote:
Starting to split hairs here. So I guess the bottonline is that Me, Finster, and Swerve have concerns regarding his mental toughness and you say it's OK cause it was a tough time in his life. Hey, it's an opinion on both sides and I hope Taylor comes out this year and seals the other starting DB slot opposite of Grimes. Nice, civil debate guys, thanks for the fun an missed work time! lol


I didn't say I don't have concerns.

But you flat out called him mentally weak.

There is a difference. It is one thing to wonder what is going on in his head that he thought about leaving the game, it is another thing to declare that the guy is a mental midget because he questioned certain things during some trials and tribulations in his life.

And yes, this is making a slow day go by quicker. :yay:

_________________
Image


Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:17 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Dave, Deus ex dolphin and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.