All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

Would you strongly consider this scenario if possible, drafting both OT Martin/James?
Yes 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
No 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
Total votes: 11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:49 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I read reports that if Martin falls to 19, it's a possibility that Miami picks him, and trades up into the 1st again to draft Ja'Wuan James as well. So the OL would line up like this:

LT-Albert LG-Martin C-Pouncey RG-Smith RT-James

Both Martin and James were team captains, and on paper, that is a fine a$$ offensive line. I wouldn't be against a scenario like this playing out, go for the play makers in the 2015 draft and see how well the deep game between Tannehill-Wallace pans out behind a potentially great offensive line.

Turning a historically bad weakness into a strength just in a few months time would be great progress for Hickey as a rookie GM. The only glaring weakness Miami would have going into the season is the LB core. This would definitely be something to build on going into 2015, where Miami would finally have the luxury of going after elite play makers on day one of the draft.

There are so many possibilities Hickey can go with in the 1st round this year. This is without a doubt the most exciting day one draft experience in the past several years IMO, very unpredictable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:56 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Define "fine butt offensive line".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:57 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Define "fine butt offensive line".

You know, the kind Mark Sanchez dreams of playing behind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think it is a nice idea for sure given the fact that I still consider this offensive line shakey at best.

However, I think a trade scenario like this would depend upon what Miami would have to trade in order to move back into the first and that smells like our 2nd/3rd and another pick is just my guess.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
However, I think a trade scenario like this would depend upon what Miami would have to trade in order to move back into the first and that smells like our 2nd/3rd and another pick is just my guess.

Thoughts?

From a fair value standpoint, it would take about the 50th pick, and our 3rd rounder. I would strongly consider it as a GM.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:16 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I've already shared my concerns of 2 starting rookies on the o-line.

All of these trade rumors involving the Dolphins tells me that Hickey just wants it known he's open for business. To me it appears there is an effort to create panic regarding QBs, WRs and OL guys, forcing someone to jump up and grab someone.

Miami sits at a good trade spot because teams know they might have to jump Arizona if the like a QB. Likewise with some WR if you start looking at KC, Phi, NO and Car needing one. Hickey just has to make it know he'll take something of a discount to deal back.

As for the proposed idea for this topic, I couldn't be more against it. Miami has no ILB, big questions at CB and RB, injury concerns at WR and no true TE. They proved they could win 8 games with garbage coaching, a scandal, no o-line and no LBs. Acquire as many guys who can compete for starting jobs as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Miami has no ILB, big questions at CB and RB, injury concerns at WR and no true TE. They proved they could win 8 games with garbage coaching, a scandal, no o-line and no LBs. Acquire as many guys who can compete for starting jobs as possible.

You make it sound like Miami is dealing out the #1 pick, it's not nearly as bad as you propose it is. The OL is obviously the biggest weakness on the team dating back to last season. I would definitely explore all options, but a move like this can definitely benefit the team. However, a tough decision to make...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

EAST: I like your aggressive thinking to trade back into the first round, but I would rather see Mosely taken at #19 (IF he was still there) THEN trade back into the 1st and nail a starting offensive lineman.

Another scenario for me would be to nab Martin at pick #19 and then still trade back in and grab another potential starting need, but not necessarily another offensive lineman.

I can really say that your guess is mine as nothing appears clear cut and so much depends on what the teams picking before Miami does OR if Hickey and company surprises us and moves sooner than #19 to grab one of these guys.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:28 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just realized that last paragraph seems to contradict my stance about 2 rookies on the o-line. Please allow me to clarify.

As of right now there are only 2 proven commodities on the line for an offense that was at times putrid. I don't mind rookie starters or guys who can compete for snaps and playing time. I just don't want another Jonathan Martin scenario where they go all in on a guy without really knowing what they have. The o-line is so important that I'd rather address it with a mix of free agents and rookies to compete.

It seems like there are very quality prospects at other positions in the top 100. Why not take advantage of that? Such a trade seems to be ignoring the best interests of the team since there are quite a few holes/question marks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:51 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
The Newark Star-Ledger reports the Giants are "extremely high" on Notre Dame G/T Zack Martin.
The same can not be said for North Carolina TE Eric Ebron. Beat writer Jordan Raanan pegs Martin as the most likely pick for the Giants if they stay at No. 12 overall. The team reportedly prefers Martin over Michigan OT Taylor Lewan, who some call the best tackle in this year's class. Martin can play every position on the line save center and would likely play right tackle or guard in New York.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:04 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

My dream scenario is we trade down with Cleveland and get their 3rd and 4th. After that we go, Joel Bolitino, ASJ, Mewhort, Moncrief/Bryant, best safety available, Dri Archer, Devonte Freeman , Nick Fales and 7th round just go with the best talent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:11 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

You make it sound like Miami is dealing out the #1 pick, it's not nearly as bad as you propose it is. The OL is obviously the biggest weakness on the team dating back to last season. I would definitely explore all options, but a move like this can definitely benefit the team. However, a tough decision to make...

Not sure I made it sound like that at all. I just don't think the scenario is realistic or even worth it given the talent level of tackles that can be had at pick 50 or in the 3rd round. Jumping from pick 50 to the end of Round 1 is going to cost more than just the 50th pick and your 3rd rounder. Using 4 or 5 picks to address 2 holes just seems like a waste in a draft that is supposed to be incredibly deep.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:12 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

ag_fin_90 wrote:
My dream scenario is we trade down with Cleveland and get their 3rd and 4th. After that we go, Joel Bolitino, ASJ, Mewhort, Moncrief/Bryant, best safety available, Dri Archer, Devonte Freeman , Nick Fales and 7th round just go with the best talent.

This I love.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:20 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

jammer wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

This I love.

Crazy thing is it can happen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:48 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

I'm really excited for the draft - the longer wait is killing me!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:10 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I voted no, mainly because the draft is deep at O-line. If we were to trade into the 1st I'd rather it be for a playmaker, and get our other linemen later. We could very easily end up getting a day 1 starter at OL on the third day. That's why I've been so consistent in saying we should take Mosely if he's there with our 1st pick.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:19 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Considering the MANY needs of the team that trade would probably be to costly. Great teams are usually stocked with 3rd/4th round picks making huge contributions. Stockpile picks and go BPA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:14 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
EAST: I like your aggressive thinking to trade back into the first round, but I would rather see Mosely taken at #19 (IF he was still there) THEN trade back into the 1st and nail a starting offensive lineman.

I wouldn't be against that either. I've been as high on Mosley as anyone on this board the past couple months.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:38 pm 

Any concern with taking an Alabama linebacker if we do in fact look to take Mosley?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:

From a point value standpoint it's about an even trade (the Dolphins come out on top by 15pts). If that were to happen, I'd love to see something like this happen:
2nd - Morgan Moses - OT - Virginia
2nd - Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Florida State
Trade Both 3rd Round Picks - Move Back Into 2nd
2nd - Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Washington
4th - David Yankey - OG - Stanford
5th - Craig Loston - SS - LSU
7th - Spencer Long - OG - Nebraska

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:17 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

wkloiber13 wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

From a point value standpoint it's about an even trade (the Dolphins come out on top by 15pts). If that were to happen, I'd love to see something like this happen:
2nd - Morgan Moses - OT - Virginia
2nd - Kelvin Benjamin - WR - Florida State
Trade Both 3rd Round Picks - Move Back Into 2nd
2nd - Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Washington
4th - David Yankey - OG - Stanford
5th - Craig Loston - SS - LSU
7th - Spencer Long - OG - Nebraska

You will seriously regret Benjamin at wr

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]