All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:24 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Here's the most recent draft guesses for the Phins. Seven of the Sixteen "Experts" expect us to take Martin. I tend to agree, I don't anticipate Mosely or Ebron being around by 19.

Zack Martin, OG/OT, Notre Dame

Chris Burke, Don Banks, Doug Farrar, SI.com
Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, NFL.com
Matt Miller, B/R
Rob Rang, CBS

C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

Pete Prisco, Will Brinson, CBS:
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN:

Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

Dane Brugler, CBS:
Drafttek

Pat Kirwan, CBS: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama

Todd McShay, ESPN: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia

Charles Davis, NFL.com: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

Brian Baldinger, NFL.com: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:26 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A lot of the "experts" are saying that OT/OG Zach Martin, OLB C.J. Mosely, and TE Eric Ebron will be picked before #19. Hopefully one of those 3 will be available to us.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:05 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just a thought, but maybe the Dolphins have a pretty decent expectation to trade down into the early 2nd round and acquire an extra 3rd rounder. Might explain why they are hosting several WRs who may be available at the top of the 2nd round. Might also explain why we're hearing Cyrus Kouandjio and JuWuan James a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:22 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

My gut feeling has been that a lot of what has been coming from the rumor mill has been all to set something up. A trade down makes perfect sense. Let's hope Hickey can keep people guessing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I hope Martin is available. The OLine needs a lot more work IMO. It should not be ignored or put off. It was far too much of a liability in 2013. We all know QB's are critical to winning in the NFL. Tannehill will only go as far as the OLine will let him.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:53 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

degs wrote:
I hope Martin is available. The OLine needs a lot more work IMO. It should not be ignored or put off. It was far too much of a liability in 2013. We all know QB's are critical to winning in the NFL. Tannehill will only go as far as the OLine will let him.

I agree, degs. Martin should be our target. There is talk that we may trade up to grab Eric Ebron whom the Bills appear to be dying to get. With Ebron we'll get a decent blocker, an offensive weapon, and a whole lot of celebrating 'tude (which can be infectious to his teammates to elevate their game).

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:52 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

degs wrote:

This is why I'd like to see them draft a couple of prospects in the mid round and sign a few vets still out there (Bryant McKinnie types) to compete with what they already have. Don't go all in on one guy in the 1st or 2nd round only to face another Jonathan Martin situation.

If Zack Martin is there and they believe in him then fine. I'm all for them having conviction. But this isn't a team that is a player or two away. Assemble as many guys as possible and let them compete.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:50 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm not a proponent of bringing in a bunch of "Also Rans" and letting them compete. Certainly Philbin and possibly Hickey know they have to win this year or they're out. The most glaring weaknesses are OL & ILB. This will be a great draft if we get a starting ILB, Guard and RT.

This draft is weak at ILB, so if Mosely's there take him at 19. If not get Martin, roll the dice with Boreland in the 2nd, and do what it takes to get another starting lineman.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:05 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

shularino wrote:
I'm not a proponent of bringing in a bunch of "Also Rans" and letting them compete. Certainly Philbin and possibly Hickey know they have to win this year or they're out. The most glaring weaknesses are OL & ILB. This will be a great draft if we get a starting ILB, Guard and RT.

This draft is weak at ILB, so if Mosely's there take him at 19. If not get Martin, roll the dice with Boreland in the 2nd, and do what it takes to get another starting lineman.

Obviously I agree with your assessment shularino, since I have mocked Mosely to Miami in my last few drafts.

I like Borland. He does not have the prototypical size like CJ, but he just makes plays like Zach Thomas.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

With all of the FSU fans on this board, I'm surprised nobody wants to wait around until the 3rd or 4th round and draft Christian Jones. The guy has played every linebacker position at FSU, he's athletic, he can cover, he can blitz, and he doesn't come with the injury concerns that Mosley does. Where is the love for Jones guys?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:19 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

As far as our first pick is concerned, I could see us taking any one of those players, but I'd be most happy moving back and adding picks (then taking Moses or James). Unless Ebron or Lewan are available, I just don't see the value there at 19. I'd rather see us trade back, add a 3rd+, and look at those second tier tackles (Moses and James). Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Ja'Wuan James is called on draft day. I know it's the popular thing to draft a college left tackle and move him to right tackle, but there is something to be said for a four year starter at right tackle who does everything well.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]