Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:48 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
According to the Miami Herald, "several" Dolphins players believe some of the team's coaches "aren't big fans" of Mike Wallace.
A prominent agent also told the Herald that head coach Joe Philbin is "running in that place." The Dolphins are "looking closely" at first- and second-round wide receivers, and players on the team believe the Fins "want to replace (Wallace) in a year or so." Miami could save $2.5 million in salary cap space by releasing Wallace next offseason, or $9.3 million by cutting him in 2016.

-Miami Herald

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:55 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Wow it took this long for the weekly "Mike Wallace is gone" article from the local newspaper

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:20 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Let's see how this season goes, before we start declaring him gone by the end of it. Philbin & Sherman didn't know how to use him, the same way they failed with Bush...........hopefully, Lazor brings some of that Chip Kelly magic.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson usually has good sources. I think if Wallace has another year like last year where Tannehill can't hit him deep and where Wallace doesn't have the skillset to fight for a pass then these rumors will come true. He then would just not fit our scheme.

Another thought is that if the Dolphins do draft a good WR that can stretch the defense deep then they may want to get rid of his cap burden. Tannehill will be due a big contract at some point if he continues to improve as he has his first two years.

I expect to see a breakout season from Wallace this year.

Here's where RotoWorld got their information.

Barry Jackson wrote:
### Several Dolphins have wondered among themselves why Miami has been looking so closely at first- and second-round receivers, and their suspicion is that the Dolphins want to replace Mike Wallace in a year or so. Several players believe some of these coaches aren’t big fans of Wallace, and “Joe Philbin is running that place,” one prominent agent said.

But Wallace will have a big cap hit whether he's here or not in 2015. If Wallace is on the team in 2015, his cap hit would be $12.1 million. If he’s cut, it would be $9.6 million. If he’s traded, it would be $6.6 million.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:56 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Things like missing the first day of voluntary workouts to spend time with your family (even though you've had all the time in the world since December to do that since the Dolphins missed the playoffs) will get you on the dog list quickly.

Yes, it is a voluntary workout, but coaches can take it as a lack of dedication to the team. A guy with a $17 million base salary should be the most dedicated to the team.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:34 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Wallace is the top Free Agent Receiver to come available in quite some time. We paid him what the market demanded, because we desperately needed a receiver to stretch the field. Philbin better hope Wallace has a great season, or he'll be the one out the door.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:43 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

shularino wrote:
Wallace is the top Free Agent Receiver to come available in quite some time. We paid him what the market demanded, because we desperately needed a receiver to stretch the field. Philbin better hope Wallace has a great season, or he'll be the one out the door.

I'd argue Wallace bring pretty good value for stretching the field, but Miami definitely overpaid.

Best hope is that defenses fear his speed and it opens up the middle for the other WRs and TEs. I still think Miami needs a YAC guy other than Clay.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:18 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Best hope is that defenses fear his speed and it opens up the middle for the other WRs and TEs. I still think Miami needs a YAC guy other than Clay.

YAC has been a huge problem for us. Any good beers lately?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:

YAC has been a huge problem for us. Any good beers lately?

Ha, love the beer question. No, unfortunately I haven't been searching for new stuff lately. Perhaps I'll get some new ones for Thursday night and report the results in the draft chat. You'll be able to tell the quality by how progressively incoherent my posts become.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:45 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

OK, I'll be there too. I am waiting till Thurs. to pop my "hop Stoopid". I never tied it, but I'm stoked for it.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:53 pm 

Strongbow is some good, hard cider. They have a honey flavor. It is really good.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:20 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Makchell wrote:
OK, I'll be there too. I am waiting till Thurs. to pop my "hop Stoopid". I never tied it, but I'm stoked for it.

Had it about a year ago. I remember liking it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:22 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
Strongbow is some good, hard cider. They have a honey flavor. It is really good.

Haven't really had a lot of cider. Just for the heck of it I might give it a shot.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:19 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Another call me crazy comment but its been that kind of day.

IF Miami could find a trade partner for Wallace, is it possible he could be combined with #50 to move up in Round 2 or late 1st round? I don't think Miami wants to lessen their number of picks but they could improve their draft position by using him as a chip.

Lets say they get CJ Mosley in Round 1 but fear a run on 2nd tier tackles prior to pick 50. Find a team who needs a WR and make the offer to move up into the 30s.

I don't know the cap ramifactions or who even has the space to take on his contract. Just kind of a random thought to go with rumors we've been hearing about trading him and the staff not being his biggest fans.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Jammer i kept thinking about packaging Wallace but I think its unrealistic to get rid of him now. We'd have to get Rich's opinion on this matter. I think Miami wants to move him a year or 2 down the line for cap purposes.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:36 pm 

Moving Wallace would create an almost $10 million cap hit. Not only because of the accelerated cap of his prorated signing bonus, but because his $17.25 million base salary is fully guaranteed.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:15 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rich wrote:
Moving Wallace would create an almost $10 million cap hit. Not only because of the accelerated cap of his prorated signing bonus, but because his $17.25 million base salary is fully guaranteed.

What about next offseason? Is it realistic in your opinion then?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:23 pm 

Next offseason is much more palatable. We would save $2.5 million by moving Wallace. We'd still have $9.6 million in dead cap, but his cap hit would total $12.1 million, creating the $2.5 million cap savings.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:49 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

swerve13 wrote:
Jammer i kept thinking about packaging Wallace but I think its unrealistic to get rid of him now. We'd have to get Rich's opinion on this matter. I think Miami wants to move him a year or 2 down the line for cap purposes.

I knew it would be too good to be true. Glad Rich provided those numbers.

I figured in the trade world his value might be something of a 4th rounder, which is why I proposed what it might cost to move up in the 2nd round.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]