All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Who to mock to the Dolphins? I really think that Zack Martin, CJ Mosely,and Eric Ebron will not be there for us at 19.

The NFL Writers mocked us ...

Armando Salguero wrote:
19. MIAMI DOLPHINS
Ja'Wuan James, RT, Tennessee

Analysis: With the four top tackles off the board and the possibility of upgrading the run defense gone with Baltimore's pick of Mosley, the Dolphins are desperately looking to trade down. Cleveland is a possible trade-down partner as are the 49ers. But with no such possibility here, the Dolphins are going to address the right tackle spot with a player they'd probably be more comfortable picking with their second-round pick (50th overall). The Dolphins are drafting a right tackle who has played against good competition in college (SEC), has started for three years and is a plug-and-play guy to address their biggest need … GM Dennis Hickey has 18 years of NFL personnel experience but will be running his first draft as a general manager, replacing Jeff Ireland. That means the Dolphins, predictable in the type of players they liked the past six years under Ireland, are no longer as easy to gauge. It also means Hickey has no qualms about addressing positions that Ireland previously addressed but didn't get the intended results. So what does that mean? Well, the Dolphins will clearly be looking for a starting right tackle because they have no one at the spot. If the season began today Miami could not line up as they have no starting right tackle on the squad. They're actually in need of a starting guard as well because all the options on the roster are backup types and Ireland projects, such as Dallas Thomas, a third-round pick a year ago who seemed overmatched most of the year. It is clear the Dolphins have to invest heavily in the line because the team allowed an NFL leading and franchise record 58 sacks a season ago. The Dolphins also have to do something about the running game -- both on offense and defense. Offensively, that means not only addressing the OL but also adding a running back later in the draft. On defense, Miami's 2013 investment in free agents such as Dannell Ellerbe and Phillip Wheeler and committing a franchise tag on defensive tackle Randy Starks didn't pay off. The Dolphins run defense got worse for the second consecutive year. They were No. 3 in rush yards allowed in 2011, sank to No. 13 in 2012, and finished at No. 24 last season. So the club is hoping to move Ellerbe from the middle to an OLB spot that is a more natural position for him. The cornerback situation is in the hands of veterans Brent Grimes and Cortland Finnegan with a couple of youngsters behind them but a playmaker there would be welcomed. Safety is another position seemingly held together by a string as oft-injured Louis Delmas signed a one-year deal after being cut by Detroit.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Dave Hyde wrote:
2. Stay at 19th. This is my bet. The top four tackles in virtually every mock draft are gone by this point. There's a lively mock debates on who the fifth tackle is. Hickey would have his pick: Morgan Moses? Joe Bitonio? Cyrus Kouandijo? Ja'Wuan James? Most mocks have all of them being available at 19th. The safe, sure call is to grab one here. That's the safe and sure thing to do. Again, it's what I think will happen. But if the remaining tackles are graded so closely together Hickey can make the inviting call to ... (3. TRADE DOWN)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 0480.story

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:19 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

I think James is a better fit than Kouandjio, but his lack of run blocking concerns me.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:52 am 
2017 Survial Champion
2017 Survial Champion

Xavier Su'a-Filo, he starts from day 1 and helps solidify the r side of the line, IMHO we have to hit good start now ol player in round one ,he is it

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:10 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I really don't like the idea of reaching so I'd hope if Miami takes any of those tackles it is because they have them as a top 25 prospect. There are play making WRs, CBs and maybe even a play making TE if you believe in Austin Seferian Jenkins (read recently from I believe Prisco that he'll go higher than you think).

IF those names are gone it would probably mean a QB, WR or CB that teams may want to trade up for could be available at 19.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

coldfin wrote:
Xavier Su'a-Filo, he starts from day 1 and helps solidify the r side of the line, IMHO we have to hit good start now ol player in round one ,he is it

Would not be a bad selection.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:37 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Daniel Jeremiah has the Dolphins taking Ryan Shazier, the LB from Ohio State. He does remind me of Lavonte David, the talented LB for Tampa Bay.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:41 am 

swerve13 wrote:
coldfin wrote:

For sure at guard, but at tackle?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

phinsfansc wrote:
Daniel Jeremiah has the Dolphins taking Ryan Shazier, the LB from Ohio State. He does remind me of Lavonte David, the talented LB for Tampa Bay.

No thanks, that guy looks like a corner playing linebacker. No way he could ever play middle linebacker in a 43 front. Too light in the a$$.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:25 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

swerve13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

No thanks, that guy looks like a corner playing linebacker. No way he could ever play middle linebacker in a 43 front. Too light in the a$$.

I agree with you that his size is a bit of a concern, but man that guy flies to the ball.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:30 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
coldfin wrote:

For sure at guard, but at tackle?

No he would start at guard immediately for us. And we need a top flight guard, we don't have any. Tackle would have to be taken care of in round 2. Even if we have to move up 5 to 10 spots in round 2 to get James or Bitonio.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

rtwelve1993 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

I agree with you that his size is a bit of a concern, but man that guy flies to the ball.

But so does Mosley, but Mosley has an NFL body to go with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:05 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

swerve13 wrote:

Aren't Shazier and Mosley roughly the same size? Mosley less than an inch taller and three pounds lighter according to Scouts Inc.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:08 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

I wouldn't mind the idea of grabbing Su'a-Filo and then nabbing James in the 2nd.

Would certainly bolster the offensive line.

FYI - the listener mock draft on Sirius had us take Austin Sefarian-Jenkins because Ebron, Mosely and Martin were all off the board.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

IamPZ wrote:
FYI - the listener mock draft on Sirius had us take Austin Sefarian-Jenkins because Ebron, Mosely and Martin were all off the board.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't hate this. If he can block as advertised then he assists a supposedly lesser talented right tackle draft pick or veteran stop gap. He also gives Tannehill the big target he needs.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:16 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Aren't Shazier and Mosley roughly the same size? Mosley less than an inch taller and three pounds lighter according to Scouts Inc.

They are noticeably different when you look at them both IMO. Ohio State likes to list him at 234, but I heard he's really like 224 and he looks it. He looks the same size as Roby the corner.

Mosley is a firm 238 pounder, and would probably walk around at 250 if not for the constant cardio.
I think Shazier would be fine at weakside linebacker. Maybe for the Broncos.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:32 pm 

One of the concerns many scouts seem to have about Mosley is his narrow frame.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:35 pm 

Rich wrote:

Watching his highlight tape, he seems to tackle high quite a bit too - if he's small and goes high at the point of attack, he's gonna have some issues.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:36 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Rich wrote:

ya, he's not a tank but he held up playing inside in the SEC.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:38 pm 

But Shazier was slightly heavier and 1 inch shorter based on his combine measureables compared to Mosley.

They are basically the same size, granted where that weight is distributed matters, and the same concerns exist for both about their frame.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:19 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -prospects

Quote:
It is the new normal in the NFL to see pumped-up strong safeties playing outside linebacker. No one in that mold from the college ranks has impressed me more this season than Ohio State's Ryan Shazier.

Shazier, who finished third in the FBS with 7.2 solo tackles per game, is listed at 6-foot-2, 230 pounds, but I think he has a hard time holding weight.

In bodybuilding lingo he would be known as a hardgainer. Probably has to work hard at staying near 230. It looks like natural weight on mosley. I could easily see Mosley being able to beef up to 245 for the NFL. I can not sya the same for Shazier. By the way I think Shazier would be an amazing strong safety.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:37 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I like Calvin Pyor S Louisville........some mocks have him being taken as early as 12, most have him available at 19.

Several Mocks have both Martin & Mosely available at 19, though I personally think Mosely will be gone. Almost every Mock I've seen has Ebron gone before 19. So I guess the question is if both Martin and Mosely are taken what players will be available that we previously assumed would be gone.........Taylor Lewan LT, Michigan...........Aaron Donald DT, Pittsburgh..........Blake Bortles QB, UCF.

Personally, I think the signing of Delmas (with a degenerative knee injury) & the thought Jones will return to his '12 form has some of underestimating the need at safety. If Mosely's there, you have to take him, but I would be fine with Pryor, even if Ebron and Martin are still on the board.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:08 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
the Dolphins are going to address the right tackle spot with a player they'd probably be more comfortable picking with their second-round pick (50th overall)

If happens, then once again the Phins continue the thought process that has had them being a middle of the pack team. Drafting for need over better talented player.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:22 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
Quote:
the Dolphins are going to address the right tackle spot with a player they'd probably be more comfortable picking with their second-round pick (50th overall)

If happens, then once again the Phins continue the thought process that has had them being a middle of the pack team. Drafting for need over better talented player.

Couldn't agree more. Its not like Miami has premiere players at all other positions. Its fine if they have a guy rated highly and go with their gut but lets not relive watching Vernon Carey be decent while Vince Wilfork puts together a Pro Bowl resume.

I don't want to be screaming at the TV when Marquise Lee is scoring TDs or Ryan Shazier is going bonkers making plays and we're watching James be serviceable in 3 years.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:09 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

We should just take bpa in round 1 and then trade up in round 2 to get jawuan james.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
We should just take bpa in round 1 and then trade up in round 2 to get jawuan james.

I like the idea of going BPA in round 1. The team has so many needs that trying to fill all the holes would ensure mediocrity anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:32 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Even if you have to give away a pick this year or next year. Just try to hit homeruns with your top 3 picks.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:

ya, he's not a tank but he held up playing inside in the SEC.

He held up? The kid has a string of injuries he's endured over the last few seasons at Alabama. I wouldn't say he held up. If anything he broke down.

His slight frame and list if injuries are what took him from being a potential top ten prospect to a mid-to-late first round prospect.

You can't move him outside either. He lacks the pass rush ability to do so.

If we're going to draft a linebacker, I'd rather see us go after Barr and let Misi compete with Wheeler. I'm not willing to give up so easily on Ellerbe in the middle after only one season.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:13 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

If you,re worried about players being busts than barr is the last guy you want to take. When NFL people were polled he,s the name they mention the most with the bust label. And he doesnt fit outside linebacker in a 43 sceme.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:13 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm hoping the reports that Lewan could fall are true. I'd love to see Miami get him at #19. I wouldn't even mind if we moved up a few spots to get him. Lewan is a guy who can play either side at tackle. He'd also be an in-house solution if Albert gets hurt or doesn't pan out.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
If you,re worried about players being busts than barr is the last guy you want to take. When NFL people were polled he,s the name they mention the most with the bust label. And he doesnt fit outside linebacker in a 43 sceme.

I think he'd make an excellent strong side linebacker in our system. He's extremely athletic (reported 4.4 speed) and has amazing pass rush ability (23.5 sacks and 41.5 tackles for loss the last two years). He's got double-digit sack guy written all over him.

Does he still need to work on his run defense. Sure. That is to be expected of a player who has only played defense for two years (was a runningback originally). But I can remember them saying the same things about Cameron Wake when he first came to Miami.

But I just don't see any way he falls to us. He's a top ten talent that eveybody says won't make it past 12. Personally, I really hope this guy goes to an NFC team because I don't want to see him play against us (he's knocked out a couple of quarterbacks).

In my opinion, this kid is going to be a stud pass rusher at the next level. He was extremely successful at UCLA and the scary thing is that his best football is well out in front of him. I've heard Demarcus Ware comparisons.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:15 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Daniel Jeremiah (whose opinion I trust) just said on Total Access that Mosley is one of the safest players in this draft and said he would be a "slam dunk" for any team in the first round. He sees many pro bowls in his future. That's good enough for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:19 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
He held up? The kid has a string of injuries he's endured over the last few seasons at Alabama. I wouldn't say he held up. If anything he broke down.

I meant that he held up against top level competition at inside linebacker. So he's proven in that area. Proven that he's big enough to lay the lumber on runningbacks and not get trucked. Not sure if Shazier
would as he is listed as an outside linebacker, so I'm assuming he didnt line up in the middle for the Buckeyes.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:29 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

I meant that he held up against top level competition at inside linebacker. So he's proven in that area. Proven that he's big enough to lay the lumber on runningbacks and not get trucked. Not sure if Shazier
would as he is listed as an outside linebacker, so I'm assuming he didnt line up in the middle for the Buckeyes.

Ok, that makes more sense. I'm not denying the kid has talent, I just don't like him for Miami when we already have Ellerbe. I'd rather give Ellerbe another season in the middle before I made a significant move like this. To tell you the truth, I'm not a fan of Miami taking any linebackers in this draft. Unless they're middle to late round projects.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:32 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Daniel Jeremiah (whose opinion I trust) just said on Total Access that Mosley is one of the safest players in this draft and said he would be a "slam dunk" for any team in the first round. He sees many pro bowls in his future. That's good enough for me.

He'll have to prove he can stay on the field first.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I wouldnt let Ellerbe prevent us from taking him because I was not a big fan of overpaying Ellerbe in the first place. He was never a proven full time starter with Baltimore. That was a dumb move by Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:05 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
I wouldnt let Ellerbe prevent us from taking him because I was not a big fan of overpaying Ellerbe in the first place. He was never a proven full time starter with Baltimore. That was a dumb move by Ireland.

I think there is still upside with Ellerbe. Enough that I wouldn't use my 19th overall pick on a linebacker with injury problems. Enough that I wouldn't feel the need to draft a linebacker in the first few rounds.

I could easily see Miami taking a linebacker in the middle rounds, but to take a linebacker that high would be a reach when we already have a solid player in Ellerbe.

Long story short, I don't feel that a player who played through multiple injuries and made 101 tackles, 1 sack, and 2 interceptions was our problem on defense.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:40 am 

wkloiber13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I think there is still upside with Ellerbe. Enough that I wouldn't use my 19th overall pick on a linebacker with injury problems. Enough that I wouldn't feel the need to draft a linebacker in the first few rounds.

I could easily see Miami taking a linebacker in the middle rounds, but to take a linebacker that high would be a reach when we already have a solid player in Ellerbe.

Long story short, I don't feel that a player who played through multiple injuries and made 101 tackles, 1 sack, and 2 interceptions was our problem on defense.

Numbers can be deceiving. Our run defense was 24th in the league... where was the MLB?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 am 

wkloiber13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

The 50th ranked inside linebacker (and 53rd against the run) in the NFL is not our problem on defense?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:08 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
The 50th ranked inside linebacker (and 53rd against the run) in the NFL is not our problem on defense?

Strangely enough, Ellerbe played well in the middle against the run the year before with Baltimore. In fact, he played better than Dansby. Ireland thought he was improving the middle with Ellerbe. I can only hope that Ellerbe does better this year, but it looks to me that Croyle has seen enough.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Big Dave wrote:
Rich wrote:

Strangely enough, Ellerbe played well in the middle against the run the year before with Baltimore. In fact, he played better than Dansby. Ireland thought he was improving the middle with Ellerbe. I can only hope that Ellerbe does better this year, but it looks to me that Croyle has seen enough.

He must play better in a 34 than he does in a 43 front.

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next