All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15867
Location: Raleigh, NC
Pre-draft smoke?

Barry Jackson wrote:
The buzz is increasing around Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier, and he’s emerging as one of several real possibilities for the Dolphins at No. 19, unless they trade down to take an offensive tackle (which is also a consideration if Zack Martin is off the board).

Mark Dominik, a close friend and former co-worker of Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey, said today that Shazier “should be drafted ahead of” Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley. Dominik called him a “great tackler and playmaker who has all the tools.” (Dominik and Hickey often share the same view of players, incidentally.)

Shazier said his game is especially comparable to Tampa Bay linebacker Lavonte David. (Dominik told us previously that Hickey strongly advocated drafting David, who has become a terrific player.)

“I feel I compare to Lavonte David or NaVorro Bowman,” Shazier said.

Shazier had monster numbers last season: 134 tackles, 23 for loss (third in the country), six sacks, four pass breakups and four forced fumbles.

“Shazier flies around the field and his unique athletic ability stands out,” NFL.com’s Nolan Nawrocki said. “Offers a tremendous combination of speed, tackling and coverage skills to become a playmaker.”

Shazier's father, Vernon, has been the Dolphins’ chaplain for the past five seasons.

At just over 6-1 and 237 pounds, Shazier wouldn’t be big enough to fit the prototype of former Dolphins personnel czars Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland. But Hickey has said he has no such size requirements with linebackers.

ESPN’s Todd McShay has Shazier going 20th, a pick after Miami, in his mock draft.


Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

_________________
Follow me on Facebook - Phinfever - Miami Dolphins Fan Site @BigDavePhinfever

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever


Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1809
Location: Charlotte, NC
I'm real high on Mosely, Pryor and who knows, maybe Shazier's the guy, but there is one big problem with drafting defense with our first pick.............Coyle..........this guy doesn't know how to work with rookies. If we do draft defense with the first, the guy needs to shine from day one or he'll be joining Jordan on special teams.

That being said, if Delmas gets hurt or Jones stays flat, we're in big trouble at safety. If putting Misi in the middle is the answer, we should have figured it out by now. Mosley and Pryor are the two premier guys at their position, and if our DC realizes it's in his best interest for them to play, he'll change his process.


Last edited by shularino on Tue May 06, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26314
Location: Miami, FL
shularino wrote:
I'm real high on Mosely, Pryor and who knows, maybe Shazier's the guy, but there is one big problem with drafting defense with our first pick.............Sherman..........this guy doesn't know how to work with rookies.


Our former offensive coordinator is the problem with drafting defense with our first pick?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm
Posts: 1809
Location: Charlotte, NC
Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:
I'm real high on Mosely, Pryor and who knows, maybe Shazier's the guy, but there is one big problem with drafting defense with our first pick.............Sherman..........this guy doesn't know how to work with rookies.


Our former offensive coordinator is the problem with drafting defense with our first pick?


Corrected


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 659
Big Dave wrote:
Pre-draft smoke?

Barry Jackson wrote:
The buzz is increasing around Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier, and he’s emerging as one of several real possibilities for the Dolphins at No. 19, unless they trade down to take an offensive tackle (which is also a consideration if Zack Martin is off the board).

Mark Dominik, a close friend and former co-worker of Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey, said today that Shazier “should be drafted ahead of” Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley. Dominik called him a “great tackler and playmaker who has all the tools.” (Dominik and Hickey often share the same view of players, incidentally.)

Shazier said his game is especially comparable to Tampa Bay linebacker Lavonte David. (Dominik told us previously that Hickey strongly advocated drafting David, who has become a terrific player.)

“I feel I compare to Lavonte David or NaVorro Bowman,” Shazier said.

Shazier had monster numbers last season: 134 tackles, 23 for loss (third in the country), six sacks, four pass breakups and four forced fumbles.

“Shazier flies around the field and his unique athletic ability stands out,” NFL.com’s Nolan Nawrocki said. “Offers a tremendous combination of speed, tackling and coverage skills to become a playmaker.”

Shazier's father, Vernon, has been the Dolphins’ chaplain for the past five seasons.

At just over 6-1 and 237 pounds, Shazier wouldn’t be big enough to fit the prototype of former Dolphins personnel czars Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland. But Hickey has said he has no such size requirements with linebackers.

ESPN’s Todd McShay has Shazier going 20th, a pick after Miami, in his mock draft.


Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy
So we might draft based on nepotism?

_________________
Image
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:22 pm
Posts: 25
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Despite the fact I graduated from IU I grew up, and remain, a Michigan fan. I hated this guy, that's because he was a difference maker at OSU. He always seems to be around when big plays happen and has great instincts. I'm not sure if he is exactly what the Phins need at #19 but he is one heck of an athlete.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:49 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
MiamiSteve wrote:
Despite the fact I graduated from IU I grew up, and remain, a Michigan fan. I hated this guy, that's because he was a difference maker at OSU. He always seems to be around when big plays happen and has great instincts. I'm not sure if he is exactly what the Phins need at #19 but he is one heck of an athlete.


I agree he's a freaky athlete, just unsure if he's a fit in the middle.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:03 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
Daniel Jeremiah has Mosley now going to Minnesota at 8. I doubt he goes that high.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:23 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
Wow all this Mosley talk is probably moot, that's 2 plugged in analysts tonite (Ian Rappaport and Daniel Jeremiah) that said he is flying up draft boards and both think he's going to the Vikings at 8. Up until this week I never thought of him as a top 10 guy. They said teams are in love with him and that he is a leader with a squeaky clean off the field record.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:13 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10566
Location: MA
swerve13 wrote:
Daniel Jeremiah has Mosley now going to Minnesota at 8. I doubt he goes that high.


I've heard that from a few draft guys. Wouldn't shock me.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:15 am 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10566
Location: MA
swerve13 wrote:
MiamiSteve wrote:
Despite the fact I graduated from IU I grew up, and remain, a Michigan fan. I hated this guy, that's because he was a difference maker at OSU. He always seems to be around when big plays happen and has great instincts. I'm not sure if he is exactly what the Phins need at #19 but he is one heck of an athlete.


I agree he's a freaky athlete, just unsure if he's a fit in the middle.


Can't he be an upgrade over Wheeler? Then use Wheeler as a situational 3rd down blitzer until they can shed his contract?

I just want a guy who can make a difference on the field and the more I'm reading about Shazier the more I like him to help Miami's defense.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:19 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
jammer wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
MiamiSteve wrote:
Despite the fact I graduated from IU I grew up, and remain, a Michigan fan. I hated this guy, that's because he was a difference maker at OSU. He always seems to be around when big plays happen and has great instincts. I'm not sure if he is exactly what the Phins need at #19 but he is one heck of an athlete.


I agree he's a freaky athlete, just unsure if he's a fit in the middle.


Can't he be an upgrade over Wheeler? Then use Wheeler as a situational 3rd down blitzer until they can shed his contract?

I just want a guy who can make a difference on the field and the more I'm reading about Shazier the more I like him to help Miami's defense.


Ya he'd be our best outside linebacker.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6944
Not knocking him, because I do not know enough about him to praise or knock him. My question is his size. With Jordan also being undersized can Miami afford another one?


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:22 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 12641
Location: Lancaster, PA
Dphins4me wrote:
Not knocking him, because I do not know enough about him to praise or knock him. My question is his size. With Jordan also being undersized can Miami afford another one?


Ya I'm not crazy about the pick.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:43 pm 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:47 pm
Posts: 423
To me, they don't even seem like they really play the same position. Mosley seems more like the MLB hole plugger, 13 tackles a game guy, where Shazier seems more like a blitzer and cover a TE or RB kind of a guy. More than one NFL ex-head coach has said that blockers don't seem to bother Mosley that much, but Shazier really doesn't look like he likes them very much.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r