All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

No doubt the root of the cynacism is the recent draft history of this team. Its kinda hard to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. And I know there is a new GM, its still hard.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:21 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

MiamiSteve wrote:
No doubt the root of the cynacism is the recent draft history of this team. Its kinda hard to give these guys the benefit of the doubt. And I know there is a new GM, its still hard.

Cant give up on a kid until he plays. IF he works then its huge for the team. Now interesting aspect may be this, how important is the rg spot? For all we know it may be a wr/te day tomorrow since HCD wasn't the pick either so maybe they're comfortable with the safeties too

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:23 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I think if anything, the pick was a safe one.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
For all we know it may be a wr/te day tomorrow since HCD wasn't the pick either so maybe they're comfortable with the safeties too

LT: Brandon Albert

LG: Shelley Smith

C: Mike Pouncey

RG: Dallas Thomas

RT: Ja'Wuan James

Do we really trust Thomas to be the starter going into camp? Outside of him, the line looks battle worthy.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:25 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Sources tell the Miami Herald the Dolphins have a first-round grade on Tennessee OT Ja'Wuan James.
It's interesting because teams are typically selective with first-round grades, generally assigning only 20 or so of them each year, and James has generated scant buzz among draftniks. At 6-foot-6, 311 with 35-inch arms, James has ideal NFL left tackle build but played right tackle at Tennessee. He would be a Week 1 starter at right tackle in Miami, bookending LT Branden Albert. Apr 26 - 9:07 PM
Source: Miami Herald

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:26 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Just ran a quick web search and found a blog entry by Gil Brandt after he watched Tennessee's Pro Day that said he thought James had worked his way up to the start of the 2nd round. Not that I'm a Gil Brandt cultist, but he's checked out a couple guys in his day.

I think most of us like the pick, but are a surprised about it happening at 19.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
For all we know it may be a wr/te day tomorrow since HCD wasn't the pick either so maybe they're comfortable with the safeties too

LT: Brandon Albert

LG: Shelley Smith

C: Mike Pouncey

RG: Dallas Thomas

RT: Ja'Wuan James

Do we really trust Thomas to be the starter going into camp? Outside of him, the line looks battle worthy.

I dont think Thomas is a starting guard here. Imo Brenner, Garner and maybe another fa guy would work for me. If they dont see a huge need at guard and will focus on wr and te in day 2 with guys like ASJ and Bryant/Moncrief can we be mad? Offense take a big step up and helps RT

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:34 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

played well against Clowney

Quote:
Tennessee T Ja'Wuan James reminds NFL.com's Gil Brandt of Titans RT David Stewart.
Specifically when Stewart entered the NFL from Mississippi State in 2005. "He's strong but doesn't have great feet (would have difficult time at LT)," Brandt wrote. "He's mean and tough. Did good job on Jadeveon Clowney when the South Carolina defensive end lined up on James' side.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

gotta love that greedy NFLshop. LOL. I just got an email saying get your Ja'Wuan James jersey now!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:00 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Chris Kouffman @ckparrot · 41m
JaWuan James made Michael Sam AND Dee Ford look like UDFAs. That's 1st round pick Dee Ford, mind you.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:05 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Chris Kouffman @ckparrot · 41m
JaWuan James made Michael Sam AND Dee Ford look like UDFAs. That's 1st round pick Dee Ford, mind you.

He sounds more like a diamond in the rough. People weren't expecting alot out of him and he had a big year. People who did their homework on him came away impressed.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
James Walker @JamesWalkerNFL
#Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey said they received "a couple calls" for trading down at No. 19 but the team wanted OT Ja'Wuan James.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:57 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Tennessee Vol and Miami Dolphin fan here. Ja'Wuan is an immediate starter at the biggest need of the Dolphins. Started every game in his four year career. Intelligent kid with a good head on his shoulders. Will not get in trouble and work his tail off.

Posted by: Preston | May 08, 2014 at 10:27 PM

This guy started 49 straight games in the SEC and was CONSISTENT according to Kiper. Not a word we hear in Dolphinland too often. I love the pick - had to have an RT.

Posted by: Fatty Parcells | May 08, 2014 at 10:27 PM

If this fixed the RT position, it's a great pick. Today, NO ONE KNOWS if it's a great pick or a lousy pick. Get a life, you egomaniacs.

Posted by: Anderson | May 08, 2014 at 10:28 PM

how often do you hear gruden, kiper and others agree on a pick?--not often, if you've been paying attention…..but they all agreed James was a good pick for Miami--but hey, lets listen to the draft know-nothings here instead….yeah, sure

Posted by: benz | May 08, 2014 at 10:29 PM

some good posts by the fans

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:28 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Quote:
James Walker @JamesWalkerNFL
#Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey said they received "a couple calls" for trading down at No. 19 but the team wanted OT Ja'Wuan James.

Oh well. The more things change the more they stay the same. Miami once again reaches for need in Rd. 1

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:39 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I say we trade up and nab Su'a-Filo. Then we don't have to worry about the right side of the line.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:10 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Pick Analysis: "He played right tackle, but can play guard. The more tape I watch of this kid, the more I like him. Obviously, Miami likes him better than Cyrus Kouandjio (of Alabama) or Xavier Su'a-Filo (of UCLA). Day 1 he's going to be a starter as Miami rebuilds that offensive line." -- Mike Mayock

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:24 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hickey hasn't won the hearts of Fin fans with this overdrafting of an OT, but he did put the pressure on himself with this pick, now the pick will be more scrutinized, his draft will be even more scrutinized then it was going to be to begin with.

Hickey's put a bullseye on his back, for the fans anyway, and if he has a good draft people will forget, if not he will be run out of town pretty quickly imo.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:38 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

There's a lot to like about his upside, though

YEEES!! No really, I think he's a reach, but how do we know until he plays? I'll give him a chance, and again, if he starts from day 1 then he was a good pick.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:40 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
if he has a good draft people will forget, if not he will be run out of town pretty quickly imo

This goes for any GM in the league.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:47 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

rodneyfaile wrote:
Look at all these guys rated in the 90's. Look at the only guy rated 80.

1 Jadeveon Clowney DE Texans 98
2 Greg Robinson OT Rams 97
3 Blake Bortles QB Jaguars 91
4 Sammy Watkins WR Bills 96
5 Khalil Mack OLB Raiders 96
6 Jake Matthews OT Falcons 95
7 Mike Evans WR Buccaneers 94
8 Justin Gilbert DB Browns 91
9 Anthony Barr OLB Vikings 90
10 Eric Ebron TE Lions 92
11 Taylor Lewan OT Titans 94
12 Odell Beckham Jr. WR Giants 93
13 Aaron Donald DT Rams 94
14 Kyle Fuller DB Bears 92
15 Ryan Shazier OLB Steelers 92
16 Zack Martin OT Cowboys 93
17 C.J. Mosley ILB Ravens 92
18 Calvin Pryor S Jets 91
19 Ja'Wuan James OT Dolphins 80
20 Brandin Cooks WR Saints 91

How about providing a link for the ratings? Otherwise the info is worth less.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:51 am 

MiamiSteve wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Everyone was saying Seattle reached for their last few picks too but they stuck to their guns.

Just because some analysts project the dude to be there in the second doesn't mean it's true.

Our talent evaluators aren't in Seattle's league.

You've deduced this after one pick.

What are the lotto numbers this week?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:59 am 

If he can start from day 1 and be even remotely decent, how was he a reach?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I was quite upset with this pick last night. Reminded me of 2004 aka passing on Wilfork to reach for Carey.

I wouldn't classify myself as upset today, slightly hungover might be more accurate, but I'm not feeling good about the pick.

It is impossible to say how this will pan out. I know Mak said last year's draft was a bust but that is no sure bet either. If Dallas Thomas and Jamar Taylor win starting jobs, and, Dion Jordan is a playmaker then we're all applauding Ireland.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:07 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

MiamiSteve wrote:
IamPZ wrote:
Everyone was saying Seattle reached for their last few picks too but they stuck to their guns.

Just because some analysts project the dude to be there in the second doesn't mean it's true.

Considering our talent evaluators are all new at this point, there's no way to know that.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
MiamiSteve wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

You've deduced this after one pick.

What are the lotto numbers this week?

Also didnt everybody hate the Seahawks draft 2 years ago before they became studs and they won the SB? Yeah lkets wait

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 am 

Going into this draft we all knew Offensive Line was our number 1 priority. Maybe the extra time to dream up scenarios of grandeur got to everyone's heads ... but at the end of the day, it's the GM's job NOT to let that happen to them. We had 2 starting... TWO! ... offensive lineman going into this draft.

The drafting of James might seem like a reach based on the information we're being provided by countless analysts, but it's clear Miami had him graded in the first ... which is fine. If he ends up starting 16 games this year - will anyone be complaining?

I'm sure the team was trying desperately to trade down and just couldn't make it happen. Remember, they only have 10 minutes - so if the teams they were talking to pre-draft about trading aren't interested, that gives you maybe 8 minutes to find a new trade partner and quickly work out a deal. He's a rookie GM, he doesn't have the connections yet to make it happen any quicker.

As for last years draft being a bust Mak - sure, we didn't get a lot of playing time out of them in year 1. Buttt let's at least give them a few years before labeling them a bust. There are some who sure look like they won't do much at all (Thomas), but then we also have some really good talent in guys like Jordan, Taylor and Davis.

Now that we've had a night to digest what's happened, let's try looking at this with a little bit of perspective.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:21 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Buttt let's at least give them a few years before labeling them a bust.

I always used my disclaimer. As of right now, the entire class last year was a bust. We have no choice but to give them a chance and I hope they pan out. As for James, we don't know yet. Was a reach? Yes, but that means nothing since most of these 1st rd picks are busts anyway. If he starts and contributes, was he still a reach? No. We don't know. I'll wait and see.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:34 am 

IamPZ wrote:
If he ends up starting 16 games this year - will anyone be complaining?

More like, if he ends up being productive, will anyone be complaining? He could start 16 games and suck.

Quote:
I'm sure the team was trying desperately to trade down and just couldn't make it happen. Remember, they only have 10 minutes - so if the teams they were talking to pre-draft about trading aren't interested, that gives you maybe 8 minutes to find a new trade partner and quickly work out a deal.

Hickey said he had trade down options but decided to stick with the 19th pick and take James.

Quote:
He's a rookie GM, he doesn't have the connections yet to make it happen any quicker.

Sorry, but this argument holds no water whatsoever. He has been in the NFL long enough to have plenty of connections. It doesn't matter that he is a rookie GM. He was involved in personnel on many different levels in Tampa for a very long time. He knows people.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Who's he competing with again for RT?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:36 am 

Ya know picking apart peoples entire post piece by piece isn't really necessary.

I saw the bit about the trade down thing after I posted it ... guess they really wanted to make sure they got their guy lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:36 am 

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Who's he competing with again for RT?

That's why I also said "and be even remotely decent".

Don't just read the first half of what I wrote.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

We're being sold the bill of goods that Miami loved James. I want to know what they would have done if CJ Mosley and/or Ryan Shazier were still available.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:41 am 

jammer wrote:
We're being sold the bill of goods that Miami loved James. I want to know what they would have done if CJ Mosley and/or Ryan Shazier were still available.

Well, they weren't available, so it's pointless to discuss.

And it appears the Dolphins were hesitant to trade down because there were teams after them that could have gone tackle.

So what would you have done different?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:44 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

If he starts from day one and is good even great. He could still be a reach that was a successful reach . Imo.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:46 am 

AQNOR wrote:
If he starts from day one and is good even great. He could still be a reach that was a successful reach . Imo.

If everyone else had him as a 2nd rounder and he starts from day one and is productive, it means everyone else missed the boat, not that he was a reach.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:50 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Well, they weren't available, so it's pointless to discuss.

And it appears the Dolphins were hesitant to trade down because there were teams after them that could have gone tackle.

So what would you have done different?

I'm going to stick with what I said pre-draft. Tyson Clabo graded out pretty well down the stretch. I would have re-signed him, targeted a good blocking TE to help him out and then drafted the BPA, regardless of position, or traded down. I have no idea which approach would be better.

If Miami felt James was BPA at that point I am fine with the selection and any debate is pointless.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:58 am 

Clabo graded well down the stretch, but he's aging. How quickly do his skills decline? You can't take that risk.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
Clabo graded well down the stretch, but he's aging. How quickly do his skills decline? You can't take that risk.

Correct. But I would also draft a tackle a little later on to compete for the job. Clabo would just be the safety net so Miami isn't walking into next year with another Jonathan Martin type situation. I'm just wondering if Miami had another reasonable path to addressing tackle without possibly reaching.

Well, I'm also wondering whether James was need or value, hence the hypothetical about what to do if Shazier is still there. It would address my alternative of taking a tackle later on. We'll probably never know unless some information gets leaked.

To be honest, I think this pick will work out fine in the long run. Some of us just need a momentary recovery period since we didn't get the shiny new toy in the 1st Round.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 am 

I believe the Dolphins really liked James, given all of the rumors stating they would take him or Shazier with the 19th pick.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:49 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

If you could trade down ten spots and still get him, and instead you stand pat and take him, it's a reach

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next