All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:53 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Maybe the Dolphins were thinking if they traded down below Arizona, Kansas City and Cincinatti, one of them would have certainly taken James.

Arizona has a terrible situation at right tackle right now and once the Dolphins took James, the Cardinals dropped down.

One could argue that if those teams needed a tackle, why didn't they take the best available?

Because Moses has character flags and Cyrus has major injury flags for his potentially arthritic knees... and he is overhyped anyway.

So, maybe the Dolphins line of thinking was - sure we can drop down, but what happens if we do and miss out on our guy?

Quote:
20. Arizona. It’s right tackle situation is up for grabs. Bobby Massie, Nate Patter and Bradley Sowell will compete for the job. Sowell was the only one rated among the 76 tackles graded by ProFootballFocus.com (which I use as a guideline, not the bible). Sowell graded 76th of the tackles.

21. Green Bay is moving veteran Bryan Bulaga back to right tackle after an injury-plagued line had him at left tackle last year. So they’re set.

22. Philadelphia (which traded the pick to Cleveland, who took Johnny Manziel). They have fourth-overall pick Lane Johnson at right tackle. No need.

23. Kansas City. It has Donald Stephenson at right tackle, rated 64th by PFF (the Dolphins’ Bryant McKinnie was rated 67th).

24. Cincinnati. It lost Anthony Collins to Tampa Bay in free agency. Collins had replaced Andre Smith at right tackle at the end of last year. So they might be shopping for one.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 9860.story

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:57 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Rumor had that a team wanted to trade with MIA to snatch James.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That would explain why Miami did not trade down. At the end of the day, Hickey felt like if he would have traded down, he would have lost James.

At the end of the day, I believe Miami took the BEST ORT in the draft. He is a natural ORT and will not have to learn a new position, because he is already a ORT.

The article Rich posted points out how difficult it is for natural OLT to make the move to ORT. This was a solid move and an area of NEED.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:

Ok I am curious which rumor?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:26 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AQNOR wrote:
Makchell wrote:

browns and eagles were willing to do it but if you love james you take him. i think the biggest factor is lazor didnt love moses even though he coached him so that was the factor that impressed me the most

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:26 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think if OTs were separated into LTs and RTs for ranking purposes, people would have a lot less heartburn over this pick.

If KC or Arizona were sniffing around, I can definitely see why they didn't bite.

I'd still like to hear about any trade deals they turned down for the pick.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:05 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Makchell wrote:

browns and eagles were willing to do it but if you love james you take him. i think the biggest factor is lazor didnt love moses even though he coached him so that was the factor that impressed me the most

Is there an indefinite source for this?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:05 pm 

ag_fin_90 wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Makchell wrote:

The point isn't if we had the option to trade down. The point is if we had the option to trade down and still get James.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rather than trading down, could they have moved up and snagged Martin?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 pm 

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Rather than trading down, could they have moved up and snagged Martin?

With the numbers of holes on this team, giving up picks to move up doesn't seem like a logical decision.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:17 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yeah...giving up picks does suck. It depends on the number of spots they jump and what they give up though. If we only draft 4 players and 3 become starters, then I think giving up the picks is a great move. Last year, we traded up rather cheaply and then surprisingly went for Dion Jordan. He might yet pan out, but the #3 pick in the draft needs to be starting, not sitting.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:25 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I think the board dictated it more than anything. Most had Martin going to Mia, he was off the board so they would have to risk losing the guy they wanted...

But that is if you really believe James was the guy they wanted all along and they would trade the pick and take him lower..

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:35 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Hickey himself.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:46 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:

Hickey himself.

Help me out Mak I have searched some and cant come up with Hickey saying people wanted to trade up to snatch James. Any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:46 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:

Yeap & Houston (I think) was going to take Ted Ginn had Miami not drafted him. :haha

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Yeap & Houston (I think) was going to take Ted Ginn had Miami not drafted him. :haha

Thank god that didn't happen.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:56 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Ok I am curious which rumor?[/quote]
browns and eagles were willing to do it but if you love james you take him. i think the biggest factor is lazor didnt love moses even though he coached him so that was the factor that impressed me the most[/quote]

The point isn't if we had the option to trade down. The point is if we had the option to trade down and still get James.[/quote]
Will never know, how many people thought no other ots would get drafted in the first? Carolina at the worst shouldve taken 1 so maybe thats who they wanted

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:09 pm 

ag_fin_90 wrote:
how many people thought no other ots would get drafted in the first? Carolina at the worst shouldve taken 1 so maybe thats who they wanted

Cyrus has knee issues and Moses apparently has some character flags... so maybe there were simply no other tackles worth taking for anyone.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Will never know, how many people thought no other ots would get drafted in the first? Carolina at the worst shouldve taken 1 so maybe thats who they wanted

Carolina would probably have gone into the season with the worst WR core in the league if they didn't draft one high. That was definitely their most pressing need.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Dolphins wanted a right tackle. They got the most pro ready right tackle in the draft with James. Something like 49 career starts at Tennessee at the right tackle position. This kid most definitely won't be learning a new position. He's simply someone you plug straight into that right tackle position day one. Not the flashy pick you want, but definitely a choice based on need. Personally, I really liked Moses in the draft process. But James doesn't come with the character concerns that Moses does.
As far as the Dolphins trading back. Sometimes it's better to stay put and go with the highest player available on your board. That is what they did in my opinion. The rumor all along was that Miami had a first round grade on James and that they were high on him.
The second and third rounds will be very telling. Everyone knew Ireland left Hickey with a depleted offensive line. But there is much speculation that we're in need of help at guard, tightend, wideout, linebacker, and even runningback. What the Dolphins do in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with be very telling in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:14 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
But there is much speculation that we're in need of help at guard, tightend, wideout, linebacker, and even runningback.

OG and LB are the only two positions that we are truly in a bad spot with. The backs should improve greatly with the revamped OL.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:23 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
how many people thought no other ots would get drafted in the first? Carolina at the worst shouldve taken 1 so maybe thats who they wanted

Cyrus has knee issues and Moses apparently has some character flags... so maybe there were simply no other tackles worth taking for anyone.

Cyrus also isnt in shape to be a fit

Carolina would probably have gone into the season with the worst WR core in the league if they didn't draft one high. That was definitely their most pressing need.

There are many wrs in day 2 but not as many tackles and as many offensive players as they lost its more on Cam then ever so they need to protect him

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:04 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Omar Kelly ✔ @OmarKelly

"@mleblanc581: For those saying James was a reach, how do we know Ari wouldn't have kept their pick, taken James? » exactly what I was told

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:03 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sorry AQNOR, I can't find the quote that I read last night. I was stoopid (get it Jammer lol) after the draft and high on hops...lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:10 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Makchell wrote:
Sorry AQNOR, I can't find the quote that I read last night. I was stoopid (get it Jammer lol) after the draft and high on hops...lol.

No problem I am just trying to catch up.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]