View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I'm upset we didn't take Johnny Manziel 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post I'm upset we didn't take Johnny Manziel
I watched the draft last night and when Manziel dropped down to us, it reminded me of the Marino draft in 1983, we weren't really looking for a QB, we had Wood-Strock and there was Dan Marino. no one wanted him.

Well today, we have Moore-Tannehill, with more questions than answers, and we pass.....???

Had we drafted Johnny football, it would have made my year.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

d-1

Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: I'm upset we didn't take Johnny Manziel
Johnny Manziel is not Dan Marino.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:06 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

You are in the minority.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:10 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

dolphans1 wrote:
I watched the draft last night and when Manziel dropped down to us, it reminded me of the Marino draft in 1983, we weren't really looking for a QB, we had Wood-Strock and there was Dan Marino. no one wanted him.

Well today, we have Moore-Tannehill, with more questions than answers, and we pass.....???

d-1

I have a feeling that if we had drafted the 5'11 205 lbs QB who can't read defenses, is too quick to start running around, doesn't have a strong arm and throws up way too many jump balls, you would have been excited now.

But you would have wanted him cut halfway through the season after not being able to beat out Tannehill, or if he struggled when he actually played.

You strike me as a guy who likes to rush to judgment about players and have little understand of the player development process, specifically at QB.

Heck, you think Pat Devlin is better than Tannehill.

That says all we need to know.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:11 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

d-1

I have a feeling that if we had drafted the 5'11 205 lbs QB who can't read defenses, is too quick to start running around, doesn't have a strong arm and throws up way too many jump balls, you would have been excited now.

But you would have wanted him cut halfway through the season after not being able to beat out Tannehill, or if he struggled when he actually played.

You strike me as a guy who likes to rush to judgment about players and have little understand of the player development process, specifically at QB.

Heck, you think Pat Devlin is better than Tannehill.

That says all we need to know.

There were several ex-qb's who said Manziel reminded them of him when he was younger.

My problem is, I've waited too long for success, I am tired of waiting for a solid QB, I'm telling you, Ryan Tannehill is not the answer, he could not win 2 games last year at the end of the season.

Manziel will be good.

d-1

Fri May 09, 2014 9:20 am

dolphans1 wrote:
There were several ex-qb's who said Manziel reminded them of him when he was younger.

Show me quotes.

Ron Jaworski, an ex-QB, said Manziel was a third round pick.

Quote:
Ryan Tannehill his not the answer, he could not win 2 games last year at the end of the season.

Did not realize he was a one man team.

Quote:
Manziel will be good.

Maybe, but that's pure speculation. Obviously teams do not consider him an elite talent since he dropped as far as he did. I predicted he wouldn't go top 5, I didn't think he would go at the bottom of round 1.

Maybe he just isn't that good.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel...all selected #22 by the Browns.

Just sayin

Fri May 09, 2014 9:55 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

It was Joe Namath, Brett Favre and Fran Tarkenton.

When you go fishing, do you put just 1 sardine in the bait bucket or more?

Manziel will be an electrifying good player in this league.

d-1

Fri May 09, 2014 10:12 am

dolphans1 wrote:

I asked for the quotes. Still waiting.

Quote:

This is a pretty bad analogy in so many ways. Not even worth addressing.

Quote:

d-1

Wow, argument ender right there. :haha

Fri May 09, 2014 10:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Like I said in the draft chat, people slammed Meril Hodge for his critical analysis on Manziel, and I believe he was spot on. His game will not have a smooth translation to the NFL.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:38 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Tannehill is marked for greatness this season. I like Manziel as well but we did not need him. Would have been a wasted pick. Although the guys we targeted at 19 were gone by then Hickey hit another home run with the pick. Expecting more upside and potental tonight. It would have been more upsetting had we taken Manziel. Dallas did the right thing as well.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:49 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I love Manziel but stop

Fri May 09, 2014 11:11 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Manziel was the latest in a line of college phenoms who will struggle in the NFL. Tebow, part deux. His best chance was to go to a team with great coaching and a decent O-line. I am so glad he is not on the Pats. Unfortunately, their QB of the future is still on the board.

I was not happy watching the Jets and Bills getting solid selections in the first round.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphans1 wrote:

Until he gets hit. His game will be kinda like Vick. He will have that game where he will look like the best player on the field & everyone will think he is great. Then vanish for 5 or 6 games because he simple will be playing with faster stronger players, not 1 or 2 guys who are also playing on Sunday like in college.

For Cleveland to draft him over Bridgewater was a bad move.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:53 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Funny how james' is defended but Manziel will suck..lol WE DON'T KNOW EITHER WAY! The dude likes Manziel, so what?

Fri May 09, 2014 11:55 am

Makchell wrote:
Funny how james' is defended but Manziel will suck..lol WE DON'T KNOW EITHER WAY! The dude likes Manziel, so what?

Who said Manziel will suck?

Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Joe Philbin was not happy with Reggie Bush because he would see his lane close and break it to the outside. Coach said he wants his backs to take whats there and move on... He co-signed his buddy Sherman's plan for Tannehill to "develop him as a pocket passer first" even though he was a converted WR that ran a very mobile system at A&M under Sherman... This guy is an X's and O's coach that wants disceplined players....

Johnny Manziel in no way shape or form looks like the kind of player Joe Philbin wants. Ryan Tannehill does.

We traded up to take a guy last year because you just dont let that kind of talent slip by... Sorry, but I'm all good with taking lesser talent at a position of need that will start week one and help win now not later...

Fri May 09, 2014 12:33 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

dolphans1 wrote:
d-1

I think he will, too, but there are a lot of questions. Man, we would be the laughing stock of the league if we drafted Maniel when we have Tannehill.

I think a lot of our questions will be answered about Tannehill this year if we can put together a good offensive line. He really got his butt beat a lot of times with that pass rush.

Fri May 09, 2014 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Manziel was the latest in a line of college phenoms who will struggle in the NFL. Tebow, part deux. His best chance was to go to a team with great coaching and a decent O-line. I am so glad he is not on the Pats. Unfortunately, their QB of the future is still on the board.

I was not happy watching the Jets and Bills getting solid selections in the first round.

Tebow had no passing skills. That's not the case with Manziel.

Fri May 09, 2014 3:04 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I would have been VERY curious to see Manziel-Tannehill round 2.... could have made for a REALLY good QB room....

BUT!!!!

We do not need a QB controversy headed into a season with more than enough wuestions and a date with the Patsies up first (after we finally beat them again)!

Sure, Manziel is a Heisman winning game changer college QB..... the last one to that likes was..... wait for it..... Tim...... TeBLOW!!!! Whats he doing now? Training to be the next Jesse Palmer on ESPN College Gameday!

I Seriously can not think of 1 good reason why Manziel will Excell in the NFL....

Doug Flutie like undersized..... Yes Wilson just won a Super Bowl, and Brees is a HOF-er, but what other sub 6' QB's are actually successful in recent NFL Days?

Tendency to tuck and run WAY too soon.... Yea, if your receivers arent open in 3.1 seconds in the college game, i get it, it may be a broken play. (I am trying to put some kinda logic to this, so bear with me).... Unless you have speed like Wallace, it is about a 50/50 proposition that the average receiver route can possibly be open in that 3.1 second window...... So yea, While the average receiver is working on his progression against better talent, Manziel probably tucked and ran...... Would have worked in the Mike Vick days of 2004.....doubtful in 2014 (especially agains Belichick/Rex Ryan Defenses)

Is this guy even serious about football? Yea he might have said the right things on day one in Cleveland.... but that cock show me the money motion..... getting caught drinking at a rival college's frat.... all his idiotic attention on me comments..... This kid is more about "being famous" rather than playing. Until he proves me wrong on this one... he is definitely pulling a LeBron!! At Least LeBron actually is the best in the world at what he does, and can back it up!!! (BTW, Im still a big Wade Fan. OT)

Plus, Manziel is a complete developmental project. He may be good, but he is gonna need a clip board, a big bowl of humble pie, and a year on the bench to get the point. Will he get that in Cleveland, and become a star? Maybe...... But Miami DOES NOT HAVE THE LUXURY OF A MANZIEL PICK.... our Round 1 pick NEEDS to contribute. This regime is DONE if they don't make the playoffs..... Manziel will not contribute to the path to playoffs, James will.... If Philbin doesnt survive this year, there will be a new coach..... hence a coach to "inherit" Manziel than may/may not dump him and waste the pick..... yea

I'll still pass. Thank God we didnt draft him!

Fri May 09, 2014 4:35 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

I asked for the quotes. Still waiting.

Quote:

This is a pretty bad analogy in so many ways. Not even worth addressing.

Quote:

d-1

Wow, argument ender right there. :haha

I'll look them up later, just had an extremely long day at work.

I'll say this, I heard that the Dolphins were baffled and unprepared, when no one wanted to trade up or trade down, so they drafted most available need....?

Also heard that the Cowboys had Manziel as highest rated player on their draft board, but because of Tony Romo's enormous salary, and that Manziel was a possible starter, that they didn't want to disrupt the contractual chemistry.

Is Manziel better than Tannehill....?

Yes, he out played him at his own school.

Is Tannehill the Dolphins future, who knows, but in my opinion, he is not.

Was it worth risking a # 1 on Manziel, absolutely, even in a worse case scenario, you could always trade picks for more picks this year or a future picks next year.

Who did we pick number 1 this year....?

In Previous posts, I was told Manziel would be gone in the top 8-10 picks.

We failed again this year in the draft.

d-1

Fri May 09, 2014 11:56 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Here you go:

Fran Tarkenton -
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/11/fran-tarke ... nfl-draft/

Joe Namath -
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ny-manziel

Brett Farve -
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... z/5609639/

Look, if you'd take your rose-colored glasses off either Tannehill or Tannehills wife, it's a no brainer, Manziel was a "gift" of a pick, we missed, unfortunately.

d-1

Sat May 10, 2014 12:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't care if you have Manziel, Tannehill or Marino, no one will be great running for their lives behind that OL.
Taking the RT was the right move for the team

Sat May 10, 2014 3:22 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This is supposedly the Patriots scouting report on Manziel. I am going to just make it a link as it is a very large png image file and the width of it would push this forum outwards.

http://cdn.brobible.com/wp-content/uplo ... ziel-1.png

Sat May 10, 2014 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

jammer wrote:
Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel...all selected #22 by the Browns.

Just sayin

Manziel is a football player. I'm sure the same negatives said about him were also said about Drew Brees and R. Wilson. Miami should've taken BPA or traded out of the slot. The RT from UT would've been there in round 2.

Sat May 10, 2014 10:58 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

NFLJunkie wrote:

Manziel is a football player. I'm sure the same negatives said about him were also said about Drew Brees and R. Wilson. Miami should've taken BPA or traded out of the slot. The RT from UT would've been there in round 2.

I find it strange how everyone is so sure he would have been, seems the same ones had Martin, Mosely etc going to us when in reality they were all off the board.

They tried to trade down, James was the target at that point, they were stuck so they took the guy they were targeting. Its a smart move IMO

Manziel is definitively a special type of player, I am not so sold it will transition to this level, and prefer not taking that chance as drafting him would bring in a media circus QB battle. Thats just not something I think a team like this needs at this point.

Drafted some bookends, added another slot WR to push Gibson and Matthews. IMO based on needs they are doing a great job..

Sat May 10, 2014 11:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

dolphans1 wrote:
Is Manziel better than Tannehill....?

Yes, he out played him at his own school.

That logic baffles me. Tannehill was inexperienced, and raw at the college level with only 19 starts. I don't think a converted college WR to QB has ever been drafted in the top 10 of an NFL draft as a QB. That carries a lot of weight.

Manziel is a rookie, Tannehill has two NFL seasons under his belt and is widely thought of as Miami's future signal caller. Picking Manziel at 19 is such a fan oriented thing to do. It adds excitement, while hindering the progression of the team where actual needs were ignored elsewhere. Stupid, stupid, STUPID idea.

Sat May 10, 2014 11:53 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
That logic baffles me. Tannehill was inexperienced, and raw at the college level with only 19 starts. I don't think a converted college WR to QB has ever been drafted in the top 10 of an NFL draft as a QB. That carries a lot of weight.

Converted? AFCME he's always been a QB. He merely sacrificed himself for the team to switch to WR because of injuries they had at that position during a season.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Converted? AFCME he's always been a QB. He merely sacrificed himself for the team to switch to WR because of injuries they had at that position during a season.

That was the exact scouting report on him. He played WR in college for the most part, and transitioned into an NCAA D-1 QB. I have a difficult time comparing high school ball with the highest competition in the NCAA.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
That was the exact scouting report on him. He played WR in college for the most part, and transitioned into an NCAA D-1 QB. I have a difficult time comparing high school ball with the highest competition in the NCAA.

Well that's unfortunate you have a difficult time ..... because he was a QB filling a role for a team. He didn't even attend any WR meetings while at Texas A&M. He was always meant to be QB.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Well that's unfortunate you have a difficult time ..... because he was a QB filling a role for a team. He didn't even attend any WR meetings while at Texas A&M. He was always meant to be QB.

He didn't have any experience whatsoever as a college QB until his Jr. year. He played primarily as a receiver before hand at that level, you know this. He played QB in high school, big deal. The Aggies made him put in work at WR, which is why he was one of the rawest 1st round QB prospects in memory. Not sure why it's so difficult for you to comprehend. I guess people just like arguing.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
He didn't have any experience whatsoever as a college QB until his Jr. year. He played primarily as a receiver before hand at that level, you know this. He played QB in high school, big deal. The Aggies made him put in work at WR, which is why he was one of the rawest 1st round QB prospects in memory. Not sure why it's so difficult for you to comprehend. I guess people just like arguing.

Oh please. You claimed he was a "converted WR" meaning he's always been a WR and had to make this huge transformation into a QB when it's not the case. You subjectively block out the fact that he was a QB in high school because quite frankly you just want to. You subjectively block out the fact that he was always in the QB meetings because he was meant to be a QB and only playing WR out of self-sacrifice.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Oh please. You claimed he was a "converted WR" meaning he's always been a WR and had to make this huge transformation into a QB when it's not the case. You subjectively block out the fact that he was a QB in high school because quite frankly you just want to. You subjectively block out the fact that he was always in the QB meetings because he was meant to be a QB and only playing WR out of self-sacrifice.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sat May 10, 2014 12:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Sat May 10, 2014 1:36 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sat May 10, 2014 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Sat May 10, 2014 1:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sat May 10, 2014 2:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I see a lot of Ryan Leaf in this guy. I believe there will be an implosion in his future. I think he will like being an NFL Qb, more than being an NFL Qb.

This comment is something of a concern on the field.

Quote:
This kid can make plays with his arm and legs until he learns how to be a pocket quarterback." -- Mike Mayock

Why do you draft a running Qb & then right out of the gate want to change him into something he is not? Didn't work for Vick. He might learn in time, but it will not be in Cleveland.

Sun May 11, 2014 7:18 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

running qbs re all a joke in the end.. sorry but it's true..

name 1 that lasters long term and was productive long term... Randal C in Phila was prob closest and hell many people don't remember his name..

Vicks first run (Before jail) opened up great a few good season then POOF def figured him out.. his numbers dropped like a stone... He was about to be benched if you remember.. Then jail..

Gets out rolls into Phila has what 2 decent seasons and tanks yet again.. (def took his legs away... game over

Cam... take a look at last years stats... ya he was hurt.. but he was hurt because of all the extra running.... and it's going to happen again and again.. at least cam has a bit of an arm to go with his legs.. still it's all a package deal.. last season when he could not run all over the place.. his arm didn't save him....

I like Ryan.. he has the legs when he needs it.... but he relies on his arm... and he is going to the pro bowl this season.... watch...

But running QBs are always a short term thing.....

The move to the jets may help vick this season... at least early on... but in the end they are going to figure him out.. take his legs away and he will end up a bad memory (sorry Dog lover here) rinse and repeat,,

well i can think of 1 semi running QB that was amazing.. Steve Mcnair i think he hit 3500 yards rushing combined in 669 touches.. had some pretty amazing seasons.IMO he also throw for 31K + yards.... prob as close to a mobile qb as we will ever see... I'm sure the Stat junkies may be able to name 1-2 others.. but most RQBs just don't last

Wed May 14, 2014 9:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next