View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Jarvis Landry 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Jarvis Landry
ag_fin_90 wrote:
And somehow there are 5 guys there 6'0 or under that have 9 or 10 td catches and to your other point you didnt tell me how speed helps in the red zone

Eddie Royal was a fluke. He had 5 TD's in the first 2 games and pulled a whodini the rest of the year. As for Welker and Jackson, if you want to compare their style of play vs. Landry then good luck.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri May 09, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

just to clarify, Boldin is 6'1" and ran a 4.71 apparently. That surprised me.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:34 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
just to clarify, Boldin is 6'1" and ran a 4.71 apparently. That surprised me.

Some more key comparables since people want to bring up Boldin. He's giving up over 2 inches and pretty much everything else outside of hand size. Boldin is a freakin' mack truck as far as receivers go.

Boldin:
Vertical = 33.5"
Hands = 9 7/8"
Arm Length = 33 3/8"

Landry:
Vertical 28.5"
Hands = 10 1/4"
Arm Length = 31 3/4"

Sat May 10, 2014 12:17 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

He looks like he had tons of red zone success.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I could see this guy becoming a captain some day. Looks like a leader.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:37 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rock Sexton wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:
We still need some defensive help.....but Landry looks to be a good fit for Tannehill's short/intermediate passing skills.

Beginning to think they've accepted Tanny is primarily going to be a short/intermediate guy.

Hard not to look like that when you only have 1 second to throw the ball or your sacked.

Sat May 10, 2014 1:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rtwelve1993 wrote:
Hard not to look like that when you only have 1 second to throw the ball or your sacked.

Ya, he was the only QB in NFL history to have only 1 second to throw on every pass play.

Sat May 10, 2014 2:19 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rock Sexton wrote:
rtwelve1993 wrote:

Ya, he was the only QB in NFL history to have only 1 second to throw on every pass play.

What is your point?

Sat May 10, 2014 3:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Landry is a solid prospect in my opinion. People need to get over the whole 4.7 40 he ran at the combine. The kid injured himself (strained right hamstring) running that 40. The 4.58 he ran at his Pro Day is likely far more indicative of we'll see when he suits up. The kid will definitely never be confused as a burner, that isn't his game. But he is most definitely a physical receiver that can be used all over the field and isn't afraid to make the tough catches in traffic. If you want a very fair comparison (in my opinion), he's Brandon Gibson with better hands and jump ball skills. He's basically Hines Ward, although I don't know if he has the personality to match.

This kid will definitely see the field quickly. I think he's going to lock down the 4th receiver spot by the end of camp (sorry Matthews). I could even see a scenario where he becomes the #3 or #2 guy depending on what happens with Hartline and Gibson.

Sat May 10, 2014 3:36 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

To be honest, 3rd down and 4th quarter woes were the big problem last year. Tannehill looked like he only trusted Hartline and Clay (after Gibson got hurt). Miami could not run the ball to shorten up the long 3rd downs.

Miami's picks specifically address these problems. Landry will move the chains and bail his QB out of bad throws, similar to Hartline but with more power. Hopefully a better ground game (via blocking and better RB) can ramp up the play action game.

If you want a size guy they could still draft Martavis Bryant, or sign Jermichael Finley. Not ideal, but they are options.

Sat May 10, 2014 6:18 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

After watching his film I see more a Steve smith attitude and ball skills he may not have his speed but the on field cockiness and aggression draw comparisons.

Sat May 10, 2014 6:42 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iceberg85 wrote:
After watching his film I see more a Steve smith attitude and ball skills he may not have his speed but the on field cockiness and aggression draw comparisons.

I was thinking the same thing. He will definitely fill a role on this team.

Sat May 10, 2014 6:50 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Jarvis Landry
5'11"
40 - 4.77

Brandon Gibson
6"0"
40 - 4.59

Davone Bess
5'10"
40 - 4.64

Wes Welker
5'9"
40 - 4.65

Anquan Boldin
6'1"
40 - 4.71

I'm glad we picked up a WR. I would rather have not traded down and got Latimer, but we will see what Hickey does with the pick he acquired.

I really wanted WR Cooks instead of OT James. I think the OL could have been addressed later in the draft, but after all the issues last season, you can't fault them for wanted to go OL in the first round.

Truth is, no amount of ratings, statistics, or viewing highlights can tell you for certain. No one really knows how a player will transition to the NFL until they get on the field. You just use what's available to make the best decision you can. A lot of it has to do with who drafts them and how they utilize them.

Last edited by rodneyfaile on Sat May 10, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 10, 2014 8:00 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The bottomline is that no NFL is totally complete. Not every team has a speedster, possession, deep threat, or a TE that can break the seam. We have to work with what we have at receiver and make it work. It starts with the QB (dead horse) and the rest of the machine has to be assembled. Sexton is right, it starts with playaction and the threat of the run. A lot of sacks came last year because of the lack of running. Teams pinned their ears back and went after us with no run game.

Sat May 10, 2014 8:19 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
A lot of sacks came last year because of the lack of running. Teams pinned their ears back and went after us with no run game.

Every team pretty much did that. Unfortunately, a lot of times our backs were hit behind the LOS.

Sat May 10, 2014 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Rock Sexton wrote:
rtwelve1993 wrote:

He was the QB with less time to throw than any other QB this season. When the o-line gives up 58 sacks!

Sat May 10, 2014 8:45 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I don't get what this argument is about? This kid has the best hands in the draft plus he's tough! Which is what we need in Miami.

Sat May 10, 2014 8:53 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:
Oooo-k. You missed the point but thats alright.
No I did not. You tried to compare a rookie WR to the greatest WR and not to forget the hardest working Wr of all time. Funny you left out all the misses who ran that slow.

Thats my bad then bro. In my mind the point I was trying to make was clear but I can see its not.

Heres the thing; I don't care about 40 times or the Combine really. Nobody runs straight lines for 40 yards in a game but if they did then a tenth or three tenths of a second would make a big difference. Think about that tho, a 4.4 WR is touted as a champ when compared to a 4.6. Seriously? Experts believe a 0.2 second over a 40 yard span is going to make that dramatic of difference on any route other then a straight one? I get it. Speed is amazing but a quarter of a second? Football isn't track

I read somewhere (could've been here) that there are 4 WRs in the NFL right now that ran a 4.3 forty - Marquise Goodwin, 2nd year player in Buffalo. Darrius Heyward Bey & Johnny Knox, career 3rd of 4th WRs. & Mike Wallace, the only one in the group with a 1,000 yard receiving season under his belt. You can see speed is obviously important at their position but it rarely means they'll be good. Honestly, most of Wallace's success has come from broken plays & Big Ben's knack imo

This might be going too far to manipulate stats here but do you know what the per game average for a 1,000 yard season is? Sixty Two & a Half yards per game . . 62 . . Do you really care if the receiver got it done in 6.5 seconds instead of 7?

The point is, & this is why I brought up Jerry Rice, that there are so many other qualities that are worth comparing more then a guys 40 time. They greatest receiver of all time had a slow time but had the brains to know the offense inside & out, understood game situations & defensive coverages, knew how to gain separation, get open & get his hands on the ball, & have chemistry with his QB.

All those other things, to me, are much more worth making comparisons than a 40 time.

Didn't mean to put you down Dphins4me. I just had no expectations for this draft & because of that I can be blindly excited about every pick we make :grin:

Sat May 10, 2014 8:57 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

There are so many examples of super fast WRs that come and do nothing. Clyde Gates comes to mind. We drafted a tough over the middle YAC WR, let's go!

Sat May 10, 2014 9:06 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Cisco_56 wrote:
He was the QB with less time to throw than any other QB this season. When the o-line gives up 58 sacks!

While the O-line played poorly, we were 19th in pressures given up and an "attempt per sack" basis he was not even a full attempt higher than a guy like Russell Wilson and yet he had almost 180 attempts more than Wilson. People can argue the "release", but if I'm not mistaken Peyton Manning has the fastest of them all, so what does that tell you about play design?

The sacks were a combination of sub-par blocking, Tanny's inexperience, and dropping Tanny back to pass too much. I hope to God this team isn't stupid enough to have him attempt almost 600 passes like he did last year. He's never going to be that QB imo.

rtwelve1993 wrote:
What is your point?

My point was that your exaggeration was dishonest.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sat May 10, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 10, 2014 11:56 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
If you want a size guy they could still draft Martavis Bryant, or sign Jermichael Finley. Not ideal, but they are options.

If it isn't at WR then it absolutely has to be at TE, but who's that guy left in the draft? We already spent picks on Sims and Egnew ..... ****barf****. At this point I don't see them drafting another receiver. Wanna go to war with a guy who could become crippled if hit wrong (Finley)?

We're crowded at WR with:

Wallace
Hartline
Gibson
Matthew
Landry
Binns
Williams

and a slew of other scrubs.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

ag_fin_90 wrote:
darn Colts, will say this tho Luck will continue to get his butt pounded because of that oline (no homo)

Luck is a freaking Ox. He sheds tackles better than Big Ben.

Sat May 10, 2014 12:12 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Makchell wrote:
There are so many examples of super fast WRs that come and do nothing. Clyde Gates comes to mind. We drafted a tough over the middle YAC WR, let's go!

It's true that not all fast WRs work out, but there are more examples of slow WRs not working out, and he is yet another WR that does not excel against press coverage, and with his speed, or lack there of, I doubt he's a YAC WR in the NFL, another caught as soon as he catches it WR for Miami, lol.

Sat May 10, 2014 3:56 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Rock Sexton wrote:
Cisco_56 wrote:

While the O-line played poorly, we were 19th in pressures given up and an "attempt per sack" basis he was not even a full attempt higher than a guy like Russell Wilson and yet he had almost 180 attempts more than Wilson. People can argue the "release", but if I'm not mistaken Peyton Manning has the fastest of them all, so what does that tell you about play design?

The sacks were a combination of sub-par blocking, Tanny's inexperience, and dropping Tanny back to pass too much. I hope to God this team isn't stupid enough to have him attempt almost 600 passes like he did last year. He's never going to be that QB imo.

rtwelve1993 wrote:
What is your point?

You made no point what so ever. But you made this great statement afterwards which mirrors my feelings exactly

Sat May 10, 2014 6:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Landry, 5-11 and 205 pounds, ran a disappointing 4.77 time in the 40-yard dash at the Indianapolis Combine. Hickey said he saw that as "an opportunity." Landry then ran a 4.62 at his Pro Day.

Well, the analytics suggest this was not an opportunity and this was not a very good pick in the second round.

Consider from Dr. Smith, who studied 1999-2012 drafts, with 2013 being eliminated because one year and a rookie year at that provides little for a complete evaluation:

"I did some analysis of WRs taken in the last six drafts (and some undrafted free agents). My dataset was composed of 284 WRs.

"Landry ran 4.62 at his pro day. This is equal to or slower than 254 receivers in the data set. Only 34 ran equal to or slower than 4.60.

"Eighteen of these "slow" receivers were undrafted while 16 were drafted. So 53 percent of these 34 slow WRs were not drafted at all.

"A number of these 34 slow receivers had a productive final college year as Landry did. ...

"But only three of these slow receivers have had production in the NFL for even one year: Massaquoi in 2008, Mohammed Sanu in 2012 and Devone Bess, who was undrafted 2008 but produced for several years ...

"According to my analysis Landry is unlikely to have success and drafting him in the second round is a reach."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Tue May 13, 2014 8:01 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:

I'm with you, Mak. Aggressive/sticky-handed receivers always get me excited. I expect big things from Landry in his future with the Fins, and so does Hickey.

Barry Jackson wrote:
GM Dennis Hickey, speaking on the team-controlled radio show today, said of rookie second-round receiver Jarvis Landry: "Anybody who has watched the SEC has seen Jarvis Landry make plays, clutch plays, big plays, tough plays in traffic, his whole career. I’ve seen him play multiple times live and he always jumped out. He also brings other elements with his toughness, ability to play on special teams, even some abilities as a returner.

"All those things really added to his value and you’re talking about a leader. Whenever you talk to anybody at LSU, they always talked about, ‘This guy is the leader of that group.’ He’s done great here and real excited to have him in our mix.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Fri May 16, 2014 6:00 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I doubt he's a YAC WR in the NFL, another caught as soon as he catches it WR for Miami, lol.

Finster, if the guy runs tough routes over the middle and has great hands, the YAC will happen and especially if he is a smart receiver.

This kid was a go to guy for LSU and a leader. Great attributes that I am excited to see. I personally thought it was a nice pick.

Fri May 16, 2014 8:00 am

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:
I doubt he's a YAC WR in the NFL, another caught as soon as he catches it WR for Miami, lol.

Finster, if the guy runs tough routes over the middle and has great hands, the YAC will happen and especially if he is a smart receiver.

This kid was a go to guy for LSU and a leader. Great attributes that I am excited to see. I personally thought it was a nice pick.

I respect your opinion but have my doubts about this player, in theory you're obviously 100% correct, but in actual practice can he get open, then how many tackles is he going to break because he's not running away from anyone, I mean there are even a good amount of LBs with his speed.

What I saw on tape was a guy who had just enough at the college level to succeed, he did not get wide open a lot, that will get much worse for him at the NFL level and I remain skeptical of this pick, he also has a very low ceiling, even if he does become part of the rotation he'll never be a real threat, poor measurables for a 2nd round pick imo, my gut tells me he's a bust but it's wait and see time for now.

Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
he'll never be a real threat,

Finster, I understand where you are coming from and your logic. Hopefully, the kid comes in and does well, but as with any Miami Dolphin pick up, we all as fans hold our breath and hope for the best!!!

Fri May 16, 2014 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4