View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Jarvis Landry 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Jarvis Landry
Montcrief to the Colts to pair up with Hilton and Wayne. Wow...

Fri May 09, 2014 9:51 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Egnew is big and sucks in the endzone.....actually, he just sucks.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Makchell wrote:
Egnew is big and sucks in the endzone.....actually, he just sucks.

He's a serviceable fullback. :haha

Fri May 09, 2014 9:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
That wasnt the point, Gibson is just 6'0 and my bad I was wrong about the numbers but was really getting it going and everytime in the red zone was making the plays before he got hurt. Hines Ward got tds for days and many other wrs without size just because they made plays and other teams get many tds without big wrs. Just got to see how he responds

It is the point. You made it sound like Gibby was a TD machine in his 7 games.

Hines Ward played on a run-heavy team which featured PLAYACTION. This creates more separation for shorter WR's in the redzone. That's not our cup of tea right now. This guy is insurance for Gibson if anything but we're still lacking a legitimate scoring threat in the red zone.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:53 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

lol....colts are going to be tough.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Big play offense.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

How about Landry takes a short slant to the house so we don't need a redzone threat. Really though, we must get our running game going to open this offense up.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Do not forget DaRick Rodgers. Who looks like he will be a stud if he keeps his head right.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:56 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:
That wasnt the point, Gibson is just 6'0 and my bad I was wrong about the numbers but was really getting it going and everytime in the red zone was making the plays before he got hurt. Hines Ward got tds for days and many other wrs without size just because they made plays and other teams get many tds without big wrs. Just got to see how he responds

It is the point. You made it sound like Gibby was a TD machine in his 7 games.

Hines Ward played on a run-heavy team which featured PLAYACTION. This creates more separation for shorter WR's in the redzone. That's not our cup of tea right now. This guy is insurance for Gibson if anything but we're still lacking a legitimate scoring threat in the red zone.

You act like smaller wrs dont get tds. I wanted a bigger wr the whole time but i can go on forever with guys 6'0 or shorter who's great at getting tds especially if they have great hands in short spaces which is what Landry can do

Fri May 09, 2014 9:56 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

darn Colts, will say this tho Luck will continue to get his butt pounded because of that oline (no homo)

Fri May 09, 2014 9:57 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I wonder what's up with the receivers? As of right now Landry is 5th or maybe 4th on the depth chart.

Fri May 09, 2014 9:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
You act like smaller wrs dont get tds. I wanted a bigger wr the whole time but i can go on forever with guys 6'0 or shorter who's great at getting tds especially if they have great hands in short spaces which is what Landry can do

Well you act like you don't understand what playaction, run-heavy offenses do for short receivers. I was given Seattle and Pitt as examples and that's what those teams are.

Is that the Dolphins? No.

The NFL secondaries are much faster and they will choke out the short field, particularly in the red zone if you don't have someone who has the size to get over the top.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Do not forget DaRick Rodgers. Who looks like he will be a stud if he keeps his head right.

Uggggh forgot about him. I didn't want him on this team, but man he proved he could play with the Colts towards the EOY.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

Well you act like you don't understand what playaction, run-heavy offenses do for short receivers. I was given Seattle and Pitt as examples and that's what those teams are.

Is that the Dolphins? No.

The NFL secondaries are much faster and they will choke out the short field, particularly in the red zone if you don't have someone who has the size to get over the top.

I know exactly what they do but they arent the only reason that smaller wrs get tds at the same time

Fri May 09, 2014 10:03 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:

Pittsburgh was worse than us at running the ball...

Fri May 09, 2014 10:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Not when Hines Ward was nabbin' TD's, which is what we were discussing since Landry was being compared to him.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
I know exactly what they do but they arent the only reason that smaller wrs get tds at the same time

Please cite me examples of smallish receivers who get the job done in the redzone without a legit running attack behind them.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:05 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Not when Hines Ward was nabbin' TD's, which is what we were discussing since Landry was being compared to him.

They still have smallish receivers and were decent in the red zone.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:07 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Pitt was 16th.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/re ... coring-pct

Fri May 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Pitt was 16th.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/re ... coring-pct

Yes, thus I used the word decent.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

16th is decent? 16th is average in a league with 32 teams.

If that's what you want to hang your hat on then fine.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

Please cite me examples of smallish receivers who get the job done in the redzone without a legit running attack behind them.

Wow this wont end smh, Anquan Boldin in Arizona, Antonio Brown, Steve Smith basically his whole career, Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb, Santana Moss early in his career, Victor Cruz just to name a few. This is just off the top of my head right now

Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

So all we need is a running game and Hindes Ward here we go...

Fri May 09, 2014 10:12 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

16th is decent? 16th is average in a league with 32 teams.

If that's what you want to hang your hat on then fine.

Decent and average are synonyms.

And again, straight from the source you used, Miami was ranked 11th in scoring red zone TDs.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:12 pm

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Wow this wont end

No it won't. Despite evidence and facts. Walk away now.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Wow this wont end smh, Anquan Boldin in Arizona, Antonio Brown, Steve Smith basically his whole career, Greg Jennings, Randall Cobb, Santana Moss early in his career, Victor Cruz just to name a few. This is just off the top of my head right now

Randall Cobb is a blazer as is Santana Moss (who previous played under run-heavy offenses)

Anquan Boldin is 6-2, not 5-11 like Landry.

Steve Smith is a blazer that played under run heavy offenses.

Greg Jennings is about the only guy you can come up with, but look at the Madden video game offense he played in when he was actually effective.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
No it won't. Despite evidence and facts. Walk away now.

There he is, that yappy dog.

Not my fault you guys want to compare him to receivers who are either way faster or way bigger than Landry. LMFAO.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri May 09, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
We still do not have a legit redzone threat with size.

Stay tuned. Perhaps Hickey will get that player in free agency. Remember, we've been in contact with Finley, and still could bring back Keller. I know they're both coming off of injuries and the red flags are waving. But who says we couldn't sign the pair of them?

What if both players were medically cleared by training camp (could easily happen) and we signed them both to cheap one year deals (could also easily happen). We'd then have Finley, Keller, Egnew, and Sims to play tightend. That kind of move would give us multiple redzone weapons and allow Clay to move back to his natural position in the backfield. I know it's a risky proposition, but it's one that could pay off big.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Stay tuned. Perhaps Hickey will get that player in free agency. Remember, we've been in contact with Finley, and still could bring back Keller. I know they're both coming off of injuries and the red flags are waving. But who says we couldn't sign the pair of them?

What if both players were medically cleared by training camp (could easily happen) and we signed them both to cheap one year deals (could also easily happen). We'd then have Finley, Keller, Egnew, and Sims to play tightend. That kind of move would give us multiple redzone weapons and allow Clay to move back to his natural position in the backfield. I know it's a risky proposition, but it's one that could pay off big.

Clay was a better TE than FB....Why would you think about moving him?

Fri May 09, 2014 10:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

Randall Cobb is a blazer as is Santana Moss (who previous played under run-heavy offenses)

Anquan Boldin is 6-2, not 5-11 like Landry.

Steve Smith is a blazer that played under run heavy offenses.

Greg Jennings is about the only guy you can come up with, but look at the Madden video game offense he played in when he was actually effective.

Ok this the last question ill ask since this just wont go anywhere, in the red zone where everything is closed up more how does speed matter that much? Doesnt route running mean more then speed when the safeties can play on a shorter field?

Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Seriously look at the top TD producers .....

Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Ok this the last question ill ask since this just wont go anywhere, in the red zone where everything is closed up more how does speed matter that much? Doesnt route running mean more then speed when the safeties can play on a shorter field?

Route running helps you when you lack speed and you're playing 1-on-1.

When the field is tightened up the passing lanes tighten even more and there's far less room to maneuver because safeties and LB's ....... unless you want to run a spread offense.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:21 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rock Sexton wrote:
Seriously look at the top TD producers .....

And somehow there are 5 guys there 6'0 or under that have 9 or 10 td catches and to your other point you didnt tell me how speed helps in the red zone

Fri May 09, 2014 10:22 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Speed doesn't help you in the redzone without space.

Most of those 6'0 and under players play under offenses efficient in playaction. Which was my original point for creating space for smaller WR's.

Btw, who are the 5 guys AG?

Fri May 09, 2014 10:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Clay was a better TE than FB....Why would you think about moving him?

Clay is a hybrid. He's at his best when he's moved all over the field. Clay can block, run, and catch depending on the scenario. I'd love to see us pair him with Moreno in the backfield. Both players are extremely versatile and would give Tannehill lots of options. In my opinion, the Dolphins need to find a true tightend, preferably one who can stretch the field/be productive in the redzone. I'm absolutely with Rock on this one, we need to find Tannehill a redzone weapon. A big guy who can out-muscle and out-jump corners and safeties is preferable.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:35 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I love this pick. He's fearless and goes for the ball in traffic. I saw one clip where Landry was surrounded by 4 players and made the perfect jump to catch it between them all. I think we are going to really love this kid.

James Walker had this to say about our WR group. When was the last time we heard this?

ESPN James Walker wrote:
The Dolphins are deep at wide receiver. In addition to Landry, Miami also has Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, Rishard Matthews, Damian Williams and Armon Binns. It's a talented and competitive group that will battle for roles and roster spots in training camp.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_ ... d-reaction

Fri May 09, 2014 10:41 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

wkloiber13 wrote:

Clay is a hybrid. He's at his best when he's moved all over the field. Clay can block, run, and catch depending on the scenario. I'd love to see us pair him with Moreno in the backfield. Both players are extremely versatile and would give Tannehill lots of options. In my opinion, the Dolphins need to find a true tightend, preferably one who can stretch the field/be productive in the redzone. I'm absolutely with Rock on this one, we need to find Tannehill a redzone weapon. A big guy who can out-muscle and out-jump corners and safeties is preferable.

I disagree...He played hybrid Fb and wasn't the player he was at TE and is'nt a blocker by any means. All that does is beat him up...I do agree we need another big TE to compliment him..But i wouldn't be moving him anywhere..The guy was at his best last year at TE.

Fri May 09, 2014 10:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Even our haters at Roto compared him with Hines and Anquan.

Quote:
Dolphins selected LSU WR Jarvis Landry with the No. 63 overall pick in the NFL draft.
Landry (5-foot-11 1/2, 205) lived in Rueben Randle and Odell Beckham's shadow before busting out as a 20-year-old junior with a team-best 77-1,193-15.5-10 stat line. He earned second-team All-SEC honors and entered the draft. Landry's stock slipped at the Combine with a 4.77 forty and 28 1/2-inch vertical, also measuring in nearly two inches shorter than his 6-foot-1 college listing. Separation isn't Landry's game, however, as he plays like Hines Ward or a smaller Anquan Boldin. He wins with toughness, huge hands (10 1/4"), and crisp routes. Landry profiles as a chain mover and red-zone weapon in the NFL. He will make incumbent slot receiver Brandon Gibson expendable sooner rather than later.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AmericAdam wrote:
I wonder what's up with the receivers? As of right now Landry is 5th or maybe 4th on the depth chart.

I think Landry will be the slot receiver very quickly. We may just cut away with Gibson now.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
I think Landry will be the slot receiver very quickly. We may just cut away with Gibson now.

I said the same thing earlier. Landry is at the very least insurance for Gibson, if not outright challenging him for his spot since he's coming off major knee surgery.

swerve13 wrote:
Even our haters at Roto compared him with Hines and Anquan.

Quote:
Dolphins selected LSU WR Jarvis Landry with the No. 63 overall pick in the NFL draft.
Landry (5-foot-11 1/2, 205) lived in Rueben Randle and Odell Beckham's shadow before busting out as a 20-year-old junior with a team-best 77-1,193-15.5-10 stat line. He earned second-team All-SEC honors and entered the draft. Landry's stock slipped at the Combine with a 4.77 forty and 28 1/2-inch vertical, also measuring in nearly two inches shorter than his 6-foot-1 college listing. Separation isn't Landry's game, however, as he plays like Hines Ward or a smaller Anquan Boldin. He wins with toughness, huge hands (10 1/4"), and crisp routes. Landry profiles as a chain mover and red-zone weapon in the NFL. He will make incumbent slot receiver Brandon Gibson expendable sooner rather than later.

I think it's more in the his demeanor. Physically he's more akin to Hines Ward. He's not going to bully NFL DB's like Anquan does.

Fri May 09, 2014 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next