PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:40 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Dolphins traded up with Oakland to take Billy Turner, OL

Post subject: Re: Billy Turner
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:44 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Trai Turner is injured or at least was and Martin is a guy I wanted but obviously they like Turner more

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:45 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Nice job! Liking hickeys first draft.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Are they projecting him as a guard, or is he for depth?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:08 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

FrustratedFinFan wrote:

guard but versatile

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:20 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

ag_fin_90 wrote:
FrustratedFinFan wrote:

guard but versatile

I like it

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:21 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

I'm not sure how I feel about tall guards. Lowest man always wins and it is harder for a 6'5 guy to get lower.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:21 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

I do not get the trades. Miami traded down in the 2nd & only get a 5th. Then trade up in the 3rd & give up a 4th. Makes no sense to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Turner is a tackle? no?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
I do not get the trades. Miami traded down in the 2nd & only get a 5th. Then trade up in the 3rd & give up a 4th. Makes no sense to me.

I believe we got an extra 4th from the first trade down with SD. So we just used it to trade up again in the 3rd

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:23 pm 

Makchell wrote:
Turner is a tackle? no?

Played left tackle in college but moved to guard at the Senior Bowl. They drafted him to be a guard.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:24 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Gotcha, I seriously didn't know.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Steve Zissou wrote:

I believe we got an extra 4th from the first trade down with SD. So we just used it to trade up again in the 3rd

Yes, but Miami gave up what they got for trading down in a higher round.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:

WEAKNESSES: High cut body type with leaner-than-ideal lower body. Needs to keep his belt and butt low to stay balanced and win with leverage. Needs to keep his pad level low and dig his cleats in the ground, can be knocked off balance in space.

Bad habit of lunging and allowing his upper half to be overextended. Needs to stay under control on the move to better break down. Late to protect the edge at times and looks more comfortable when not asked to cover a large area. Needs to do a better job with hand placement to better redirect rushers and keep defenders from attacking his body.

Level of competition is a question mark - didn't face top-flight talent week-to-week in college. All of his experience is at tackle, not inside at guard.

--Dane Brugler ...

Turner looks the part with NFL size, length and athleticism, staying light on his feet with natural body control. He needs to learn to consistently sink his hips and not bend so much at the waist, but he has the on-field demeanor and mean attitude to do damage in the NFL.

Turner can play tackle if needed, but is best suited inside and with technique development, he has Pro Bowl potential down the road.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... lly-turner

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Strengths
Big hands and nice length. Light on his feet. Flashes strength in his punch. Tries to run his feet on contact. Is athletic enough to fan the rush when all his moving parts are coordinated. Aware to handle stunts. Energetic playing temperament -- competes and blocks to the whistle. Four-year starter for the nation's preeminent I-AA program. Smart, hardworking and dependable. Has NFL bloodlines. ...

Bottom Line
Big-framed, raw, aggressive FCS standout who flashes a nice combination of foot quickness, punch strength and nastiness to warrant consideration as a project. Has a bit of a bull-in-a-china-shop element at this stage of his career, but has moldable tools and could easily develop into at least a swing backup and potentially more.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543740

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't like that we spent a 3rd and 4th round pick to get a player who potentially could wind up on the bench this season. He was a left tackle in college, but was tried all over the place during workouts. Hopefully he doesn't struggle like Dallas Thomas did as a rookie. That said, I think he'll be able to compete with Thomas, Fox, Brenner, etc. for the right guard spot.

If I had to take a guess, the Dolphins are not done looking at lineman. Seantrel Henderson is a very talented player (albeit misguided) who I could see us drafting late (or picking up as a UDFA). He has experience at both guard and tackle. Same for David Yankey. He's an amazing pulling guard I could see us landing in either the 4th or 5th. He too has played both guard and tackle. At this point in the draft you're looking at projects. Yankey and Henderson are both players I could see winning starting jobs some time down the road.

I also wouldn't rule out us signing another guard after the draft. I think there are still a couple of decent veteran stop-gaps available.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:38 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm not too sure about this pick either, but the Dolphins saw something they really liked about him. I love his nasty on-field attitude, and I hope we didn't get him due to a good workout at the Senior Bowl. Lord knows that many teams have made bad picks based on that one game (shall I name another guard we drafted that we were happy to get rid of this year?).

Maybe it's his hair. Heck, I'd draft him just for that alone.

:haha

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

This was Phins Rock's man crush from months ago. He makes NFL people salivate with his long arms and athleticism.

Quote:
Miami selected North Dakota State OL Billy Turner with the No. 67 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Turner (6-foot-5, 315) was the 2013 O-Lineman of the Year at D-IAA (FCS) and made 56 career starts. He became the Bison's starting left tackle as a sophomore, and didn't allow a single sack in 15 senior-year games. Turner has plus arm length (34") and athleticism (5.16 forty, 9-foot broad jump), and flashes a nasty temperament on tape. Described by Rotoworld draft guru Josh Norris as a "mauler," Turner best projects to right tackle or guard in the pros, and could eventually become a plus starter at either for the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:46 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Many scouts see North Dakota State senior T Billy Turner as a top-75 selection, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.
"The senior is building a buzz in the scouting community and getting rave reviews from NFL personnel people," Pauline writes. The senior reportedly entered the season with undrafted free agent grades, but has elevated his evaluation after scouts took a closer look. "Turner, a long, lean athlete who shows no stiffness in his game, looks markedly improved from last season. He’s a terrific run blocker who easily gets out to the second level and annihilates linebackers."

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

wkloiber13 wrote:
I don't like that we spent a 3rd and 4th round pick to get a player who potentially could wind up on the bench this season. He was a left tackle in college, but was tried all over the place during workouts. Hopefully he doesn't struggle like Dallas Thomas did as a rookie. That said, I think he'll be able to compete with Thomas, Fox, Brenner, etc. for the right guard spot.

If I had to take a guess, the Dolphins are not done looking at lineman. Seantrel Henderson is a very talented player (albeit misguided) who I could see us drafting late (or picking up as a UDFA). He has experience at both guard and tackle. Same for David Yankey. He's an amazing pulling guard I could see us landing in either the 4th or 5th. He too has played both guard and tackle. At this point in the draft you're looking at projects. Yankey and Henderson are both players I could see winning starting jobs some time down the road.

I also wouldn't rule out us signing another guard after the draft. I think there are still a couple of decent veteran stop-gaps available.

we only spent a 4th. The 3rd's were flip flopped. People never get that.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Big Dave wrote:
I'm not too sure about this pick either, but the Dolphins saw something they really liked about him. I love his nasty on-field attitude, and I hope we didn't get him due to a good workout at the Senior Bowl. Lord knows that many teams have made bad picks based on that one game (shall I name another guard we drafted that we were happy to get rid of this year?).

Maybe it's his hair. Heck, I'd draft him just for that alone.

:haha

Trust me Dave it's not just Miami that liked this guy alot. This isn't a Jawuan James situation where we were the the only team that had a high grade on him. Turner oozes talent and god-given gifts. He visited with many teams.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:09 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Brandon Albert has missed a few games the last two seasons, so Turner might be called on to play LT if Albert gets injured. Not to mention he will turn 30 this year and has a lot of wear and tear on him. Rich is right about he might be a couple of inches too tall to play guard.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:15 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:

I thought the Phins got him in the 3rd round. Didn't they spend a 3rd round pick on him to get him or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:16 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:

I do not get why Miami gave up a 4th in the 3rd, but only got a 5th in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I do not get why Miami gave up a 4th in the 3rd, but only got a 5th in the 2nd.

As best I can tell, they wanted both Landry and Turner, figured they'd be available around the top of the 3rd round. They knew they could deal back and get some extra ammo to position themselves for late round 2 and early round 3 to get both guys.

I don't think they felt they could accomplish this by staying put in late Round 3. They targeted specific guys instead of value.

Hickey even said he wanted both guys and knew he'd have to make moves to get both.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:01 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dudes kinda funny. I wouldn't expect this personality after watching his highlights

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:27 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Many scouts see North Dakota State senior T Billy Turner as a top-75 selection, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.
"The senior is building a buzz in the scouting community and getting rave reviews from NFL personnel people," Pauline writes. The senior reportedly entered the season with undrafted free agent grades, but has elevated his evaluation after scouts took a closer look. "Turner, a long, lean athlete who shows no stiffness in his game, looks markedly improved from last season. He’s a terrific run blocker who easily gets out to the second level and annihilates linebackers."

After reading this how can anybody complain? Exactly what we need and Hickey had conviction with this pick

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

How many picks did we use to draft this kid? Did we use one or did we use two? It's simple math. We used a 3rd and 4th round pick to draft this kid (we didn't just spend a 4th). We used two quality picks to draft a player who isn't guaranteed to start. We used two quality picks on a kid who will be learning a new position on a different side of the football. In other words, we spent two good picks on a project. Everyone understands what happened. Trading up isn't rocket science.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:06 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

wkloiber13 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

How many picks did we use to draft this kid? Did we use one or did we use two? It's simple math. We used a 3rd and 4th round pick to draft this kid (we didn't just spend a 4th). We used two quality picks to draft a player who isn't guaranteed to start. We used two quality picks on a kid who will be learning a new position on a different side of the football. In other words, we spent two good picks on a project. Everyone understands what happened. Trading up isn't rocket science.

Yeah because we have a ton of 4th rounders starting on our roster ....

:hithead:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I watched Turner play in the National Championship two years in a row and met him in the hotel lobby.

Good kid, good sized, but playing devils advocate the articles I read was that he had serious problems during his Senior Bowl game in practice against the higher level D-1 guys.

I am not knocking the pick, but sort of surprised. They must have seem something in him to trade over to get him too.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:06 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Kloiber, it isnt rocket science but you still dont understand it. Lol. We only lost one pick, not two.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Kloiber, it isnt rocket science but you still dont understand it. Lol. We only lost one pick, not two.

This argument is going in circles. I say we traded away the 81st and 116th pick in order to acquire the 67th pick. You say we traded away the 116th pick in order to swap the 81st pick for the 67th. Potato potahto.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]