Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero believes WR Rishard Matthews is not a favorite of Dolphins coach Joe Philbin.
The Palm Beach Post considered Matthews an early favorite for the starting slot receiver job over Brandon Gibson (knee surgery), but several reports have surfaced indicating the Dolphins are not high on Matthews. The latest sign is the selection of Jarvis Landry in the third round. Landry's lack of top-end speed will make him a better fit for a slot role in the NFL; the same role occupied by Matthews in 2014. He may find himself fighting for his job this preseason.
Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter

Quote:
The Palm Beach Post's Andrew Abramson speculates WR Jarvis Landry may have been drafted as WR Brian Hartline's eventual replacement.
The Dolphins are projected to be in cap trouble after the 2014 season and could save $3.15 million against the 2015 salary cap by parting ways with the steady but unspectacular Hartline. Mike Wallace could also be a candidate for release, but he would only save Miami $2.5 million and no one else on the roster brings Wallace's deep-threat skill set to the table. Hartline could put all of this talk to bed with a solid 2014 campaign.
Source: Palm Beach Post

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:10 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I thought it was Gibson who should be concerned...wasn't he the guy that primarily worked the slot last season? I don't see Landry successfully replacing Hartline's down field skill set with 4.65 speed.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:26 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

When healthy, Brandon Gibson had really turned into Ryan Tannehill go go guy. He played well for Miami before he got hurt.

Love Jarvis Landry. The only thing he lacks to me as a wide receiver is great speed. He does everything else you want in a receiver, including being a good blocker.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:42 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

phinsfansc wrote:
When healthy, Brandon Gibson had really turned into Ryan Tannehill go go guy.

I see what you did there.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think Landry is probably our WR4 and insurance. If he turns into something more, then great. I want a healthy Brandon Gibson in the slot. I don't see Landry beating out Hartline, but it is all a crap shoot at this point.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
I don't see Landry beating out Hartline, but it is all a crap shoot at this point.

I don't see Landry being anything more than a WR3 in the NFL with that speed. He lacks the open field explosiveness and down field speed to create separation that a WR2 needs to do on a consistent basis.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Not crazy about small slow WRs, especially in the 2nd.

Has anyone ever seen Hickey and Ireland in the same room together?

Hickeyland?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:14 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

He's too small to be anything but a slot receiver and to slow to return kicks. Another Davonne Bess. Not something I would spend a second round pick

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
He's too small to be anything but a slot receiver and to slow to return kicks. Another Davonne Bess. Not something I would spend a second round pick

You're comparing a 2nd round prospect to a player who went undrafted entirely. I don't recall the nation's scouts saying Bess had the best hands out of his draft class, not to mention this WR class is one of the best in 10 years.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

when did 4.5 become slow? It's already been said that Jerry Rice timed 4.6, and There are plenty of highlights of him toasting defensive secondaries.

How do you explain the fact that he had 18 more catches, 40 more yards and and 2 more touchdowns than Odell Beckham did this season. And Odell went 12th overall.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]