All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Miami added another wide receiver in the draft with the selection of Coastal Carolina WR Matt Hazel. Hazel has adequate size at 6'1, 198 lbs and nice speed, as he clocked a 4.47 40 at the combine. Polished player that runs solid routes, flexible and balanced with the body control to make smooth adjustments on erratic throws. Proper patience and decisiveness in his routes to deceive defenders and create room to work. Sinks his hips and drives out of his breaks with natural footwork. Stays light on his feet as a ballcarrier and in his patterns. Works hard after the catch and won't concede yards. Has lined up inside and outside and has run the full route tree. Concerns are that he lacks ideal size and bulk and can be overpowered as a blocker. Good, not elite speed to seperate. That said, his skill set translates well into the NFL.

http://phinfever.com/index.php/9-blog/4 ... -6th-round

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I can't tell the difference between this guy and Rishard Matthews' when I look at their tape. They are clones of each other. Hazel seems to gain separation with less effort, and has a better burst off the LOS.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like this guy better than Landry.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finster wrote:

Two completely different players. Look at both of their game tape, you'd be lying to yourself if you still came to that conclusion.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Finster wrote:

Two completely different players. Look at both of their game tape, you'd be lying to yourself if you still came to that conclusion.

I see Landry as a STer and 4th or 5th WR in the NFL, Hazel could possibly be coached into more than that imo, more of a dislike of Landry really.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:30 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal bulk and strength for the position and is too easily out-muscled and pushed around. Overmatched as a blocker and plays too light and passive in this area. Needs to do a better job in traffic and use his body more assertively.

Lacks dynamic burst to consistently separate and won't fool anyone with his moves after the catch. Limited vertical threat. Room to improve his footwork and awareness along the sideline. Will round off some routes and needs to continue and progress in this area. Didn't face top-flight competition each week at the FCS level.

--Dane Brugler CBS Sportsline

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal bulk and strength for the position and is too easily out-muscled and pushed around. Overmatched as a blocker and plays too light and passive in this area. Needs to do a better job in traffic and use his body more assertively.

Lacks dynamic burst to consistently separate and won't fool anyone with his moves after the catch. Limited vertical threat. Room to improve his footwork and awareness along the sideline. Will round off some routes and needs to continue and progress in this area. Didn't face top-flight competition each week at the FCS level.

--Dane Brugler CBS Sportsline

He'll struggle to make the team behind Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews, Binns, and Landry. He's a likely candidate for the practice squad in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Pick Analysis: "Hazel plays in the slot and outside, and makes some spectacular catches when you watch him on tape. This might be one of the best picks the Dolphins have." -- Daniel Jeremiah

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:22 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
Weaknesses
Not physically strong with a lean body build, small hands and short arms. Can be knocked off routes by tight press coverage. Average strength and elusiveness after the catch. Looks for a landing spot before contact (hears footsteps). Alligator arms appear in traffic and bodies the ball along the sideline. Shows some tightness in his body coming out of breaks and routes could use more refinement.
Draft Projection
Round 7-Priority free agent
-Nolan Nawrocki

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:35 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

BTW I know he's from a small school but Georgia wanted him after he signed with CC.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:01 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

wow, you mean even Jadeveon Clowney has a weaknesses paragraph in his draft profile? :embarrassed:

WEAKNESSES Is more thinly built in the lower body. Inconsistent technician. Has a tendency to play tall. Down-to-down effort lacks consistency. Lacks discipline on and off the field and has had to be managed closely since he arrived on campus. Needs to learn what it means to be a pro. Plays in spurts and is too much of a flash player -- does not consistently dominate like he could. Is still immature and finding his way -- too much of a follower.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:35 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

They all have pros and cons. I give every team a C in the draft. If they suck F, if they are good an A. Of course it can fluctuate. Last year's draft is a F. IF they contribute and do good this year, A. lol

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
They all have pros and cons. I give every team a C in the draft. If they suck F, if they are good an A. Of course it can fluctuate. Last year's draft is a F. IF they contribute and do good this year, A. lol

I don't know a single team the only drafts BPA's. They're all out there doing the same thing, filling needs. Only difference is contenders more often than not get to focus their early picks on difference makers.

Where teams can be judged is on how they maneuvered (or were out maneuvered) in getting their players. Are the players projects? Are they tweeners that don't have a defined position?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:53 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Listen, if you're pickin 19th in every round you're probably not gonna come away with alot of glamour picks like the Rams did this year. And that's all the typical fan knows. It makes me laugh.
The truth is they're almost all "projects" after the top 20 or so picks.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
Listen, if you're pickin 19th in every round you're probably not gonna come away with alot of glamour picks like the Rams did this year. And that's all the typical fan knows. It makes me laugh.
The truth is they're almost all "projects" after the top 20 or so picks.

You know how convenient that sounds?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:04 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Whatever you say man

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:22 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

All (1 through the end) picks are a crap shoot only time will tell. Jay Clown might be a bust, and James the best pick ya never know. :jests:

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]