All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:50 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You knew the Dolphins wanted to add an ILB, as they attempted to add D'Qwell Jackson during free agency. With their 2nd 5th round pick, the Dolphins take Montana ILB Jordan Tripp. Tripp brings quick diagnoses ability and comes down hill with urgency in the run game and is around the ball a lot. Has that high motor and intensity that you want in your ILB, and is very tough and very competitive. Dedicated to the weight room and has nice size and speed at 6'3, 234 lbs, and ran a 4.67 40 with a 37 1/2 vertical. Lead linebackers in the combine in the 20 yard shuffle with a 3.96 and the 3-cone drill with a time of6.89. Concerns are he has short arms and can stay on blockers and could do a better job of using his hands to stack and shed blockers. Tough, dedicated kid that was 2 time team captain and special teams contributor also. The game is important to him.

http://phinfever.com/index.php/9-blog/4 ... round-pick

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:52 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mont ... aft-030514

"I don’t want to sound arrogant, but I believe that I’m the most versatile linebacker in this draft, I believe I can run and cover better than any linebacker in this draft. The reason I’m not a first-round pick is because I didn’t play at Alabama or Texas." - Jordan Tripp

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/montana-lb-tripp-i-m-the-most-versatile-linebacker-in-this-draft-030514

"I don’t want to sound arrogant, but I believe that I’m the most versatile linebacker in this draft, I believe I can run and cover better than any linebacker in this draft. The reason I’m not a first-round pick is because I didn’t play at Alabama or Texas." - Jordan Tripp

I love hearing that. You gotta have self confidence to make it big at this level.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/montana-lb-tripp-i-m-the-most-versatile-linebacker-in-this-draft-030514

Looking at his combine numbers and reading what they said about him in the Senior Bowl makes you want to believe in him. I can see him being rotated in on passing downs and playing special teams day one. This seems to be a very solid value pick for late in the 5th round.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:58 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

I love hearing that. You gotta have self confidence to make it big at this level.

I like his confidence in himself and his dedication to the game. The kid is a nice athlete as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:30 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

He was a favorite of Gil Brandt coming into the draft - dude talked about him nearly every night on the radio.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wow, we landed a backup linebacker with upside on special teams. This kid will probably never see the field outside of special teams. Too much of a liability in coverage. I doubt he'll be able to challenge Jenkins.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Wow, we landed a backup linebacker with upside on special teams. This kid will probably never see the field outside of special teams. Too much of a liability in coverage. I doubt he'll be able to challenge Jenkins.

Holy....- what's with all the negativity today wk?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:07 pm 

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

Holy....- what's with all the negativity today wk?

Must be that time of the month.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:06 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Pick Analysis: "He's really fun to watch. He can really run, sideline to sideline. Last year, we saw some more edge rush from him. He is a very versatile guy. Tripp can be outstanding on special teams." -- Daniel Jeremiah

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:15 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Weaknesses
Has short flappers and gets stuck on blocks. Can do a better job using his hands to stack and shed. Plays a bit too out of control. Tightness shows up in space trying to break down and secure open-field tackles (misses too many). Wound tight in coverage and not quick to redirect (allows separation).
Draft Projection
Rounds 5-6
Bottom Line
A tough, determined, competitive overachiever capable of earning a job as a backup linebacker and special-teams performer.
-Nolan Nawrocki

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]