All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hey Everyone. I actually spent the past couple of days in the hospital and just catching up in the forum. I am very curious if everyone was satisfied or disappointed with our draft picks.

Please give me your own personal letter grades for the draft.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:27 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

B+

Not sure about some of the trading up and down, but in the end, I like what we came away with.

Can remember liking a draft this much in a long time. My opinion of Hickey has greatly improved.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:39 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

I'll give em a B right off the bat - took a lot of chances on small school guys - but did a great job beefing up the O-line and adding a play making Wide Out.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:50 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
I'll give em a B right off the bat - took a lot of chances on small school guys - but did a great job beefing up the O-line and adding a play making Wide Out.

I agree, and hopefully those three are solid starters in a couple years.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Let's see who starts, contributes this year first.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

To make it interesting ...... the grades people were giving Ireland last year:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9005

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:02 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Let's see who starts, contributes this year first.

I agree Anthony. I thought the draft class was pretty solid last year and we saw what happened. You also wonder if the GM and coaches were on the same page though, and I don't think they were at ALL.

The main criticism that I have heard has been about Ju'Waun James and taking him were Miami did. The thought was the Dolphins could have traded down and got some additional picks and still got James. Rich posted a story in which that may have not been the case, and we will never know.

Miami did not want to take the chance, and the got the best PURE ORT in the draft. I think that is being overlooked in regards to how difficult a time the top picks on the OL in last year draft had adjusting to playing ORT after being OLT.

I would give Miami a B. I can say this though, I LOVE what they are doing in regards to signing undrafted FA.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:26 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I'll put it this way, I've never agreed with so many picks in one draft weekend. There was no headscratching on my end (I.E. Ted Ginn, Pat White, Eddie Moore, Jason Allen, Michael Egnew, Patrick Turner) nd the best crew of undrafted FA's I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:54 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I give it a B-

However, Hickey inherited a horrible mess and needs forced the team's hand a lot. I can see the first two O-line picks starting on day 1, but is there much of an alternative? If the team had the luxury of taking BPA, I think Hickey's job would have been much easier.

I think Landry is an intriguing prospect. Tough, with great hands. Problem is, I really see him as a WR4 if Gibson is healthy. The pick that most excites me is the selection of Tripp in the 5th round. He seems to fit a need at stopping the run, but is fast and quick enough to handle coverage duties as well. Small school prospect, but the combine and Senior Bowl gave indications that he can play at a higher level. He will be a special teamer on day 1 as well, but you just can't help but project him as a possible starter at LB. Wheeler and company stunk in run defense, so the sky is the limit for improvement here.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:26 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Almost every GM inherits a "bit of a mess" though. Rarely does someone walk into a position that is ideal.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:41 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

swerve13 wrote:
I'll put it this way, I've never agreed with so many picks in one draft weekend. There was no headscratching on my end (I.E. Ted Ginn, Pat White, Eddie Moore, Jason Allen, Michael Egnew, Patrick Turner) nd the best crew of undrafted FA's I've ever seen.

I do not understand two things. So many small schools & the TE from UGA

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:48 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Where's Jeff Ireland when you need him? D BPA, sure.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:19 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I think this draft provided needed pieces to help clean up the teams issues. Landry and Lynch are probably my favorite picks. I know people are asking why on Lynch, but the guy can block and he can catch. There were rumors that Pittsburgh originally liked him as an heir apparent to Heath Miller. Will he be that? Who knows, but I think he comes in with more potential than Sims or Egnew. Great compliment to Charles Clay.

Landry is hopefully going to be Tannehill's new best friend. Someone called him Donald Driver which I really like.

I probably saw the most excitement on the Turner and Tripp picks.

This draft felt different from recent ones. In terms of satisfying needs I'd say B+.

And don't be quick to bash last year's crop. Sometimes it takes guys a year or two to earn a significant role.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I have to think about this one a bit. Most of the draft picks were a round ahead of their predicted draft spot. This tells me that these are the players they really wanted and did not want to take a chance of losing them. Of course, this could also be the draft grade they put on each player, so, that is putting a lot of faith in your own draft analysis.

Drafting from small schools can be risky. They haven't played against great talent as teams in the SEC or Big Ten do, but it does help them to stand out. Players at the big schools usually have another highly talented player beside them and this can help them to look even better on tape. I'll have to research how small school kids do in the NFL, but I know that Jason Taylor was one of them since he played for the Zips, although Akron did play bigger schools at times. Also, I wonder how long it takes for small school kids to get to Pro level of playing.

What I really love about this draft:

Round 1: RT Ju'Wuan James
Even though he may have been able to have been had later in the 1st or early in the 2nd round, he is a natural RT as he played it in college and will not have to adjust from the left to the ride side. Most of those drafted high last year had to move to the right tackle position and they performed poorly. With a lot of teams having their best pass rusher facing the RT due to the talent drop from the LT, having a very good pass blocker on that side will be tremendous for our passing game.

Round 2: WR Jarvis Landry
I love this kid. He fell due to his "slow" 40 time, but talentwise he is a first round receiver. He catches everything and knows how to time his jumps to outleap his defenders. He can be surrounded by defensive backs and safeties and still come down with the ball. Great team leader. Unless he suffers an injury, I can see him being on this team for a long time. Great pick.

Round 5: OLB Jordan Tripp
I can see the Dolphins moving him into the ILB position. Has very good instincts and good size. I thijnk he's going to do well for us and allow us to possibly boot Wheeler to the curb and move Ellerbe to the outside.

Right now my grade is a "C", but it could change.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:44 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I don't like this draft at all. Reached for a player in the first round that they could've traded down and still gotten. Spent their second pick on an undersized receiver who lacks speed. Drafted a tight end who can't separate and doesn't have good hands, and the rest of the draft was on small school players. You have too many small school players, you have a small school team. Hickey made his evaluations based on their performance in the Senior Bowl. What he failed to realize is that the big school players play the best of the best every week and not in just one game.

It is now on Joe Philbin and his staff to develop these players, and recent history has proven that player development is not his specialty. The past two drafts have had only three players starting, and those three didn't play very well.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:50 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Hickey made his evaluations based on their performance in the Senior Bowl.

Its why Miami ended up with Jerry, so its not like that is a bad thing. Oh wait.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Needed a big back and a back up qb.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:56 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Quote:
Hickey made his evaluations based on their performance in the Senior Bowl.

Its why Miami ended up with Jerry, so its not like that is a bad thing. Oh wait.

I think we should give Hickey a little more credit than that.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 am 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Three of these fresh Dolphins were in action against 4-8 Florida last season, for instance, and none of them dominated those games in the way you would expect future NFL stars to do.

Georgia tight end Arthur Lynch, a fifth-round pick by Miami, dropped what was supposed to be a screen pass against the Gators but it was ruled as a lateral instead. While Lynch was agonizing over the blown play, a Florida defender scooped the ball up and returned it far enough that the Gators soon had a touchdown, making a 23-20 Georgia win scarier.

First-round pick Ja'Wuan James' performance for Tennessee in a 31-17 loss to the Gators is less memorable but it's fair to say that the massive right tackle had a long afternoon. The Volunteers rushed for just 66 yards at the Swamp, and that's 363 fewer than Georgia Southern managed later in the season.

Jarvis Landry, a wide receiver taken in the second round, did the best of them, catching four passes for 58 yards in LSU's gritty 17-6 win over Florida. That, however, tied Landry's season low for catches in a game.

Does all of this mean that Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey had his eyes closed during those games? No, but it doesn't exactly boost confidence when some of his most significant picks failed to push back a little harder against the worst Gator team in 34 years.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/11/4 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:35 am 

I actually thought Ireland did a moderately decent job in the drafts assuming the Pat White debacle was on Parcells & not him which most here very quickly to point out & come to his defense. That being said I dont think this draft would have been a whole lot different if Ireland was involved conducting it. Just my opinion be fore you burn me for that statement.
You really dont know about a draft until about 2 years later but that being said I would classify it as a home run!! Maybe not the grand slam St. Louis hit but we should be a force this season.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:02 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

D+
No difference makers except maybe landry

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:33 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

After 35+ years of being a devoted FinFan, I'm ready for the season to begin...AGAIN!

Since the problems have now been supposedly addressed, hopefully if our OL is now fixed and our players decide they WANT to win, I'm excited to see just how good RT is and what our team can do if we finally have players who WANT to win and not just collect a paycheck!

Funny how teams with less can do more because they WANT to win Vs Teams with more and do less!

Hopefully our picks will prove to be just, since you never know "Who" the sleeper(s) of the draft will be until the season begins!

Here's hoping for a Divisional Stomp all over the Patsies and Jets then on to the big dance!

Lets go FINS!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The Volunteers rushed for just 66 yards at the Swamp

Did they fall behind early and abandon the run?

Georgia tight end Arthur Lynch, a fifth-round pick by Miami, dropped what was supposed to be a screen pass against the Gators but it was ruled as a lateral instead. While Lynch was agonizing over the blown play, a Florida defender scooped the ball up and returned it far enough that the Gators soon had a touchdown, making a 23-20 Georgia win scarier.

Very coachable mistake.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:58 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

What's wrong with Arthur Lynch? Especially in round 5.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:02 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

It's like a room full of angry old men in here. :haha
Nurse! Where's my soup???!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:47 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Hickey made his evaluations based on their performance in the Senior Bowl. What he failed to realize is that the big school players play the best of the best every week and not in just one game.

Yeah, I'm sure Hickey as an NFL GM had no idea about that. Your fault for not informing him yourself.

:hithead:

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:50 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Yeah, they play the best of the best week in and week out, so why not draft everyone from the big schools? There are busts every year from the big schools. We are talking later rd picks.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:50 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
It's like a room full of angry old men in here. :haha
Nurse! Where's my soup???!!!

Ha! Ha! At the end of the day, for me, giving grades to folks that haven't even stepped out on the field yet in the NFL to perform is hard. I give the Miami draft a "B" because they did address a few needs and I like some of the later picks and free agents that "could" help impact the team.

I sure hope though that they hit gold with some of these players as the Jets and Buffalo sure improved themselves. This AFC East is getting better and better.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:53 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

What's wrong with Arthur Lynch? Especially in round 5.

The fourth TE in four years

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:54 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finhead34 wrote:
I sure hope though that they hit gold with some of these players as the Jets and Buffalo sure improved themselves. This AFC East is getting better and better.

The Sammy Watkins picks will potentially be nullified if EJ Manuel doesn't develop into a top starter in the league. Really liked what they did there though, but lost their first going into next year's draft.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:45 am 

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

The Sammy Watkins picks will potentially be nullified if EJ Manuel doesn't develop into a top starter in the league. Really liked what they did there though, but lost their first going into next year's draft.

I agree & that is why I also like what Cleveland did. That pick has the potential of being a top 10 or even better. Aside from maybe sweeping us again , the Bills wont win many more games.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:31 pm 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

The NFL draft, the most overrated and overhyped sporting event ever. I buy into every year! haha

Right now I"m at a solid B. But everyone knows as well as I do, it could turn into an F or an A+.... it takes time to figure that out.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:45 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Coots wrote:
The NFL draft, the most overrated and overhyped sporting event ever. I buy into every year! haha

Right now I"m at a solid B. But everyone knows as well as I do, it could turn into an F or an A+.... it takes time to figure that out.

Well said. I went into this years draft with no preconceptions & I was able to get excited about our new guys potential.

I think its a job well done by the Phins. But my personal measurement for an A is to have 2 or 3 rookies contribute significantly over half the games this season

So I don't buy the hype but I can't help but cheer too

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:39 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

At first I was pretty bumbed out TBH.. we just didn't get that 1 guy that you think could turn things around...

later when I got the chance to watch some tape.. and get a better feel for some of the picks. I have to say i like the way we did this.... This year we went after needs... and we Seem to have filled a bunch of them.. How that pans out will depend on who can start, stay health and hell even make the team..

This is not a draft like last year.. where I walked away thinking.. WE are gonna be tough!!!
this was more like adding pieces to the puzzle..... and I'm good with that..

I still think our top pick was a reach.. It was also our biggest need and O-line was rolling off the board fast.. I get it... I just hope this kid can do the job... if he does nobody will care that it was a reach... if he don't.. Hicky is gonna get some heat.. truth is I'm pretty sure the entire staff had some say... it's how they did it last season.....

C till opening day :) then I am hoping it turns to an A+

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:33 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We NEED some of those players drafted last year to step up. I would like to see Jenkins, Davis, Taylor, Dallas and Jordan to contribute on a regular basis. I see Gillispie gone and competition brought in for Sturgis.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:49 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I drank some Phins colored Koolaid...didn't help. First pick was a reach. Should've taken BPA. Liked the 2nd because the kid catches in traffic... a plus given his speed he'll be in traffic all the time. OT field test: Welcome to Davie...this is Mike Pouncey, he'll be your tour guide for the weekend. If you make it until Monday without being arrested or filing a harassement charge..you'll be our first pick"

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

lol gary

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:48 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Not a fan of so many small schools in such a deep draft. However, will give the new GM some space before I dog him. Tenn boys have not worked out for Miami. Hoping James will change that. Hoping Turner is a guard and Miami solved its OL issues. Do not believe the TE will be anything more than a blocker.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:47 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I really do not care where the player came from as long as he was scouted and evaluated properly.
I live between tiny Kutztown and West Chester University's and they've produced Andre Reed, John Mobley and Lee Woodall. 3 studs in the NFL.

Oh and Jahri Evans played for Bloomsburg which is close by too. All tiny div. II schools.

Last edited by swerve13 on Sun May 11, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I give this draft a C+, just because I feel like we took a lot of risks on small school players with upside, but who could wind up sitting for a while (unless they find a job on special teams).

Ja'Wuan James - Plug and play right tackle who should start right away. Steady player with a lot of starts under his belt, several in a zone scheme. B
Jarvis Landry - Quality depth receiver. Should see the field regularly, especially if our wideout corps is as depleted as it was last year. B
Billy Turner - Will compete for the starting right guard job. Should win if they don't sign a stop-gap. B
Walt Aikens - DB project. Will compete with other young DBs. If Jamar Taylor, Will Davis, and Don Jones can't stay health/out of trouble, he has a good shot at seeing the field. But odds are that he'll spend this season playing special teams or on the bench. C
Arthur Lynch - Blocking tightend. Will compete with other young TEs. Will struggle to find playing time with Sims, Egnew, and Clay on the roster. D
Jordan Tripp - Special teams player/backup linebacker. Should make the team this year. C
Matt Hazel - Nice skillset, but will struggle to make the team. I'm guessing our wideout situation is much more grave than we thought if we drafted this kid. Because if Hartline, Gibson, and Binns are healthy, this guy will wind up on teh practice squad. At the bare minimum he'll struggle to see the field. D
Terrence Fede - Pass rusher. DE project. C

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]