View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Mel Kiper's Draft Grade: Miami Dolphins = B 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Mel Kiper's Draft Grade: Miami Dolphins = B
Quote:
Miami Dolphins: B

Top needs: RT, G, DE, DB

Needs: B+
Value: B-

Summary: This was a really quiet draft class in terms of star appeal, but the Dolphins did a pretty solid job of hitting their biggest needs. Ja'Wuan James isn't a player many people know, but I thought he'd land here, and he did in a move that makes a lot of sense. The Dolphins need an immediate starter at right tackle, and that's James. Just plug him in and check it off. Jarvis Landry doesn't fill a major need at WR, but he's a really reliable target who catches absolutely everything. Billy Turner was a tackle at North Dakota State, but could fill another pretty big need they have at guard. Walt Aikens will need some time as he makes a big leap in competition, but is a needed addition at cornerback. Jordie Tripp could offer help at linebacker as a guy who is explosive out of his drop and will play with passion. Matt Hazel is a sleeper at WR, and like Landry, has good hands. This draft was about Ryan Tannehill. Stop the constant sacks, give him a chance to take another step. I think Miami succeeded.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... y-nfl-team

Sun May 11, 2014 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Mel Kiper's Draft Grade: Miami Dolphins = B
Sometimes things don't line up exactly and there isn't the chance to score an A Grade draft. I'm sure the Dolphins hoped to trade back in the first. So i think they did well with the opportunity to add players that will help the team improve.

Mel . . . every year I'm surprised you're still being paid. Pretty much everyone on this fan site could've written that paragraph, & then some haha

Sun May 11, 2014 3:27 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Solid draft. Cannot deny the upside as well as the potential.

Sun May 11, 2014 4:21 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This from WalterFootball.com For them, the Ju'Waun James pick dropped the Dolphins grade. Okay.

Miami Dolphins: C Grade
Goals Entering the 2014 NFL Draft: Miami's No. 1 priority is finding multiple upgrades on the offensive line to compensate for the ridiculous Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito situation last year. Help is also needed at linebacker, wide receiver and cornerback, but fixing Ryan Tannehill's blocking has to be the team's top goal.

2014 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Can one pick spoil an entire draft class? JaWuan James was a miserable selection in the first round. I understand the huge need, and I even slotted him there in my mock draft, but it was a mega reach. We spoke with five teams about James, and none of them had him as a solid first-round prospect. One tackle-needy team even pegged him in the fifth round! I'm not saying James can't pan out, but Miami probably would have been able to obtain him in the second frame.

The rest of Miami's haul was decent. Billy Turner, who might actually be better than James, was a solid third-round pick. Jarvis Landry provides needed depth at wideout. Walt Aikens and Jordan Tripp were steals.

If the Dolphins hadn't reached in the first round, I might give them a "B" overall. However, the James blunder has to drop them a full letter grade.

Sun May 11, 2014 4:47 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

the James blunder

A little dramatic. I hope this kid lights up the league.

Sun May 11, 2014 5:30 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If James starts day one & is reasonably reliable then its not a reach. Discussion over, imo

I'd like to throw Pro Football Focus into the picture here. Some think they've got a lot of applicable stats well figured out & some say they just made up their own theories. Exhibit A : 2013 Offensive Line rankings - Dolphins were only 21st - https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/2/

Idk if they'll do a Draft Grade or just a 2014 projection but I like reading their stuff just for the sake of a different pov

Sun May 11, 2014 5:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
Quote:

Summary: This was a really quiet draft class in terms of star appeal, but the Dolphins did a pretty solid job of hitting their biggest needs. Ja'Wuan James isn't a player many people know, but I thought he'd land here, and he did in a move that makes a lot of sense. The Dolphins need an immediate starter at right tackle, and that's James. Just plug him in and check it off. Jarvis Landry doesn't fill a major need at WR, but he's a really reliable target who catches absolutely everything. Billy Turner was a tackle at North Dakota State, but could fill another pretty big need they have at guard. Walt Aikens will need some time as he makes a big leap in competition, but is a needed addition at cornerback. Jordie Tripp could offer help at linebacker as a guy who is explosive out of his drop and will play with passion. Matt Hazel is a sleeper at WR, and like Landry, has good hands. This draft was about Ryan Tannehill. Stop the constant sacks, give him a chance to take another step. I think Miami succeeded.

I don't have insider so i can't see..But going off what i saw on tv everyone else in the division had a better grade including the Patriots who drafted a back up qb that in all likely hood will not even play and a dt that has two blown out knees in three years...So take that B with a grain of salt.

Sun May 11, 2014 6:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Kev1321 wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
Quote:

I don't have insider so i can't see..But going off what i saw on tv everyone else in the division had a better grade including the Patriots who drafted a back up qb that in all likely hood will not even play and a dt that has two blown out knees in three years...So take that B with a grain of salt.

These are the grades Kiper gave the rest of the AFC East.

Jets B
Patriots C
Bills C-

Sun May 11, 2014 8:33 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

If James starts day one & is reasonably reliable then its not a reach. Discussion over, imo

:yay:

Sun May 11, 2014 9:37 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:

:yay:

Within the next 3 years I see 3 starters in this group ... well, 4 if you count the new TE in blocking situations. That is about average in the NFL. I hope he hits on them all. I like the potential of most of his picks, but as a Dolphins fan I get so tired of hearing potential. I have hope and I think we should give Hickey a chance to show that he is the man.

Mon May 12, 2014 5:26 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

To prove I'm not biased about what the Dolphins do on draft day I've already said I like what Buffalo and New York did, but!! They were also in much better position to aquire talent than we were. People have to take that into consideration in any draft. Buffalo was picking high in every round and the Jets had a bucket full of picks.

I was not impressed by New England.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:02 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This is from Rotoworld.com

Evan Silva
NFL Draft Grades

Draft 2014: AFC Draft Grades
Monday, May 12, 2014

Miami Dolphins

19. Ja'Wuan James, tackle, Tennessee.
63. Jarvis Landry, wide receiver, LSU.
67. Billy Turner, tackle/guard, North Dakota State.
125. Walt Aikens, cornerback, Liberty.
155. Arthur Lynch, tight end, Georgia.
171. Jordan Tripp, linebacker, Montana.
190. Matt Hazel, wide receiver, Coastal Carolina.
234. Terrence Fede, defensive end, Marist.

Overview: The James pick is perceived as a reach because most pre-draft mocks didn't have James in the top 32, but the Dolphins had a first-round grade on him. So I can't kill the pick. Their evaluators liked what they saw. It isn't like they took a guy they gave a day-two grade at 19. James needs to improve as a run blocker, but will solidify Ryan Tannehill's strong-side protection. Pass pro was a huge problem for last year's Fins. Landry is a stick-moving Hines Ward clone. A mauling college run blocker, Turner has every tool necessary to become a quality pass protector. My guess is Miami will start James at right tackle and Turner at right guard. Pairing rookie offensive linemen side by side worked out well for the 2013 Bears, who ranked No. 2 in the NFL in scoring. Aikens is a big, long press cornerback who could push for playing time quickly. The Lynch and Hazel picks I didn't like as much. The former doesn't do anything particularly well and the latter is a low-ceiling slot prospect. Tripp will immediately help on special teams and could develop into a starting weak-side linebacker down the road. Small-schooler Fede was worth the seventh-round stab. Rookie GM Dennis Hickey plugged holes and plucked value, for the most part. There wasn't a lot of flash and pizzazz, but I think the Dolphins got at least four good players.

Grade: B

Mon May 12, 2014 5:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jordan Tripp: Sleeper pick. This kid can play smart at linebacker. Love that Miami nabbed him and I think he has a legit shot at playing time. Definitely special teams, but he could push for a starting LB spot too.

Mon May 12, 2014 6:37 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This is from CNNSI.com

2014 NFL draft grades: Vikings, Packers and Raiders receive highest marks
NFL Draft, NFL draft 2014
By Chris Burke & Doug Farrar

Miami Dolphins

It’s a bit tough to get a handle on this effort. Miami picked an offensive tackle at No. 67, Billy Turner, who actually may be better than the OT it picked at No. 19, Ja’Wuan James. WR Jarvis Landry might be Ryan Tannehill’s best friend, capable of going over the middle and hauling in tough catches. CB Walt Aikens also should contribute right away, and keep an eye on sixth-round WR Matt Hazel. The whole picture here just never fell into place from my perspective.

Grade: B-minus

– CB

Mon May 12, 2014 6:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

the 3 guys on NFL AM were asked to pick a team who's draft they liked and Miami was one of the 3. Jordan Babineaux said he loved what the Dolphins did, directly giving Tannehill what he needs to succeed.

Tue May 13, 2014 11:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]