View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Wide Receiver outlook 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Wide Receiver outlook
Quote:
ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker only expects Miami to keep six of the 11 wide receivers currently on the roster.
Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline and newly-drafted Jarvis Landry are locks to make the roster. Sixth-round WR Matt Hazel has a great shot as well. That leaves Rishard Matthews, Armon Binns, and Brandon Gibson to fight for two spots. Binns is recovering from an ACL and MCL tear suffered last July, but the Dolphins are reportedly very intrigued by his potential. Gibson is coming back from a torn patellar tendon, and Matthews is reportedly not a favorite of coach Joe Philbin. The smart money is one or both of Matthews and Gibson being cut.

Quote:
The Dolphins can save $1.735 million against the salary cap by releasing Brandon Gibson.
Gibson's roster spot is in danger after the Dolphins drafted WR Jarvis Landry in the second round. Landry has reliable hands and is an excellent blocker. He projects as an immediate contributor in the slot, drawing drawn Hines Ward and Anquan Boldin comparisons. Gibson is coming off a torn patellar tendon.

-Rotoworld

Sun May 11, 2014 8:18 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Wide Receiver outlook
I hope these guys light it up this season. I believe we signed a bunch of scrub WRs before the draft. I'd be they will be gone.

Sun May 11, 2014 9:39 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Didn't Matthews perform well when he was forced on the field due to injury? Gibson was lighting it up before his injury and was quickly becoming one of RT's favorite targets. Binns has always been about potential. Why you spend 2 draft picks on 3rd and 4th WRs is a better question.

Sun May 11, 2014 9:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Matthews had one big game. Didn't do squat after that.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:03 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Why you spend 2 draft picks on 3rd and 4th WRs is a better question.

I think injuries played a big part and YAC. Our WRs go done with a finger touch after they catch the ball.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Matthews had one big game. Didn't do squat after that.

Besides Wallace and Hartline, would you really lose sleep over the rest of the corps? I don't and agree that 4 spots are wide open for the taking. We have to hope that Gibson and Binns come back full strength and if they do, they will be in the mix OR I could easily see them getting cut along the way.

Gibson did look really good UNTIL he got hurt, but if a kid like Landry lights it up in camp and preseason, IMO he has the edge at the number 3 slot. Sometimes it isn't fair, but injuries can take people out of favor in a hurry.

Matthews, he was decent and contributed, but if someone new steps up ahead of him, he is expendable IMO.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I have respect for Hartline and Gibson, but to be honest I hope they can all be upgraded eventually. My goal would be what some other teams have as a receiver core. Green Bay, Atlanta, Denver, and now Indy and NYG.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Didn't Matthews perform well when he was forced on the field due to injury? Gibson was lighting it up before his injury and was quickly becoming one of RT's favorite targets. Binns has always been about potential. Why you spend 2 draft picks on 3rd and 4th WRs is a better question.

I honestly think Landry is going to either be A. Hartline's replacement or B. Shift Hartline to number 3 duty. One thing I keep hearing about Landry is he can run block very well. They're going to want him on the field a lot if Lazor is going run heavy.

I liked Matthews a lot. He had one big game, but also made some clutch catches. I predicted him to have a breakout year but the beat writers are suggesting his job is in jeopardy.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:26 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I honestly think Landry is going to either be A. Hartline's replacement or B. Shift Hartline to number 3 duty. One thing I keep hearing about Landry is he can run block very well. They're going to want him on the field a lot if Lazor is going run heavy.

I liked Matthews a lot. He had one big game, but also made some clutch catches. I predicted him to have a breakout year but the beat writers are suggesting his job is in jeopardy.

I don't see how anyone can make Hartline a No.3 considering his skill sets. He's predominantly a sideline runner.

Personally, I see a high probability of both Hartline and Gibson being moved on from.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If Hartline gets injured again this year I don't see him lasting much longer, but really that's the only way I see him going anywhere. I think they see a lot of chemistry between him and RT. If Gibson can come back healthy I think we will try and expand him out of the post, giving that to Landry. We will have depth that's forsure. I could see Wallace, Hartline, Landry, Gibson, Binns, and Hazel making it. I think we should trade Matthews to a team like Kansas City.

Mon May 12, 2014 11:37 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Gibson counts over a million a year and he's coming off injury. I'd bet he' s gone.

Mon May 12, 2014 11:39 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

DanRambo wrote:
If Hartline gets injured again this year I don't see him lasting much longer, but really that's the only way I see him going anywhere. I think they see a lot of chemistry between him and RT. If Gibson can come back healthy I think we will try and expand him out of the post, giving that to Landry. We will have depth that's forsure. I could see Wallace, Hartline, Landry, Gibson, Binns, and Hazel making it. I think we should trade Matthews to a team like Kansas City.

I don't see where Matthews has any trade value whatsoever. That's the kind of player teams pick up after getting cut.

Mon May 12, 2014 11:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
I don't see how anyone can make Hartline a No.3 considering his skill sets. He's predominantly a sideline runner.

Personally, I see a high probability of both Hartline and Gibson being moved on from.

I don't see how people consistently underestimate how difficult it is to have back to back 1,000 yard receiving seasons in the NFL. To say the guy can't even succeed in a WR3 role is a total joke.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I don't see how people consistently underestimate how difficult it is to have back to back 1,000 yard receiving seasons in the NFL. To say the guy can't even succeed in a WR3 role is a total joke.

How difficult is it then?

You only have to average 62/yards a game in a pass heavy league and in our regime a pass-heavy offense.

His production is replaceable. He won't be the only guy to ever have chemistry with Tanny. This team should continue to try to add players who are more versatile and put points on the board.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

I really hope we don't get rid of Hartline. He's the one consistency Tannehill has had in his career.

I'd love to keep Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews and Landry.

Binns I'm not high on, and Damian Williams seems like a training camp signing at this point.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
DanRambo wrote:

I don't see where Matthews has any trade value whatsoever. That's the kind of player teams pick up after getting cut.

It's not like he came out there last year and walked around and got re-benched. I could see a team trading a late round pick for him if given the right circumstances. He isn't dead weight he just isn't what Lazor has in mind.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

DanRambo wrote:
It's not like he came out there last year and walked around and got re-benched. I could see a team trading a late round pick for him if given the right circumstances. He isn't dead weight he just isn't what Lazor has in mind.

How do you know what Lazor has in mind?

Please sell me on Matthews production in order to justify any draft pick whatsoever. We have a crowded house at WR and teams could justifiably wait until cuts. In fact most rosters are fairly set right now until training camp.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
How difficult is it then?

You only have to average 62/yards a game in a pass heavy league and in our regime a pass-heavy offense.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Mon May 12, 2014 12:34 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think that the injuries caused this mor ethen anything but ill also say this, if Gibson somehow is healthy in the preseason and shows he's ready as do the rest of the wrs I can see Hartline being on the trade block to a team like Carolina or the best fit imo Cleveland. Both teams need reliable wrs and Manziel will get every chance early on and like T-Hill he'll need his security guy. I think Matthews, a healthy Gibson, Landry, Williams,Wallace and if Hazel shows promise they all can work while getting a good pick for Hartline to a desperate team. But thats just my opinion

Mon May 12, 2014 12:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:
jammer wrote:

If Landry lines up in the slot on 3 WR sets and on the boundary in 2 Wr sets wouldn't that equate to Hartline being the number 3 receiver?

Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock, don't be a fool. If Lazor liked what he saw in our receivers at this point in time, we wouldn't have drafted multiple more. I know a team won't waste a draft pick on him at this time of the year when they can basically have him if he's cut, but the guy averaged 10.9 a catch with 41 receptions and no fumbles, or injuries. I personally don't think ANY of our receivers can consider their self safe.

Mon May 12, 2014 1:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

DanRambo wrote:
Rock, don't be a fool. If Lazor liked what he saw in our receivers at this point in time, we wouldn't have drafted multiple more. I know a team won't waste a draft pick on him at this time of the year when they can basically have him if he's cut, but the guy averaged 10.9 a catch with 41 receptions and no fumbles, or injuries. I personally don't think ANY of our receivers can consider their self safe.

How do you know which receivers Lazor liked though?

I'm not arguing against the level of their safety. This is a mediocre WR core as far as I'm concerned. I'd replace most of them if I could.

Mon May 12, 2014 2:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I see Landry playing slot this year and replacing Hartline in 2015.

Tue May 13, 2014 5:27 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Landry is a lock? Haha i dont think so just cuz a guy is drafted high doesnt mean hes a lock over guys who can perform
Also binns cant catch he is just camp matrtial. Wallace, hartline, gibson, matthews and landry will be on the roster no one else

Tue May 13, 2014 7:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I know he hasnt played a down in the NFL yet and all that, but i do think that landry is a higher caliber player than hartline and gibson. A better all around skill set.

Tue May 13, 2014 7:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]