View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dolphins suspend Don Jones 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins suspend Don Jones
Quote:
Dolphins suspended DB Don Jones for making insensitive remarks on Twitter after Michael Sam was drafted by the Rams on Saturday.
Per Miami Herald reporter Adam Beasley, Jones has been suspended from team activities. Jones tweeted "OMG" and "horrible" after Sam was shown on ESPN kissing his boyfriend. "I was made aware of it and I was disappointed in those comments," Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey said Saturday night. "That's not what we stand for as an organization." Jones' comments came at a particularly sensitive time for the Dolphins, just months after the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito saga that embarrassed the franchise. Jones will reportedly be away from the team until he undergoes "sensitivity training."

Sun May 11, 2014 10:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins suspend Don Jones
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
Dolphins suspended DB Don Jones for making insensitive remarks on Twitter after Michael Sam was drafted by the Rams on Saturday.
Per Miami Herald reporter Adam Beasley, Jones has been suspended from team activities. Jones tweeted "OMG" and "horrible" after Sam was shown on ESPN kissing his boyfriend. "I was made aware of it and I was disappointed in those comments," Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey said Saturday night. "That's not what we stand for as an organization." Jones' comments came at a particularly sensitive time for the Dolphins, just months after the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito saga that embarrassed the franchise. Jones will reportedly be away from the team until he undergoes "sensitivity training."

No backbone by the Phins. Not surprised here. Basically allow others to express themselves, but you cannot express yourself. :hithead:

Sun May 11, 2014 10:24 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Jones tweeted "OMG" and "horrible" after Sam was shown on ESPN kissing his boyfriend

Weak. It was OMG and horrible. It would have been horrible if it was man and woman. Sensitivity training, what a joke. Political correctness at it's best.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:25 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

What he did was stupid.

Sun May 11, 2014 10:37 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Rich wrote:
What he did was stupid.

So they have the nads to suspend a fringe player but let Pouncey go untouched? Given what happened last year I'd have to say that Pouncey's comments were even more stupid.

Sun May 11, 2014 11:00 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

You watch, there will be a "rainbow" day at a home game this year.

Sun May 11, 2014 11:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wonder if they can get some suspensions and sensitivity training for all of the guys who have ever listened too or sang along with songs that had references to b*** or wh*** in it.

Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was waiting for Don Jones to get suspended. But, I actually agree with Rich, Jones should just know better than to post out on social media. This is a touchy public topic and although I completely understand you should be able to express your own opinion, this is a different world right now and you just need to play it smart when you are in the public's eye as a professional athlete.

Jones should have just kept his thoughts to himself. It just isn't worth losing your job over expressing your own personal opinion (I know that sounds very unfair, but it is what can happen in this day and age)

Just my opinion on the matter,

Mon May 12, 2014 4:28 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

With what happened last year, and Pouncey's tweet last week, you had to expect the hammer to come down on Jones. If I'd seen it I may have tweeted something to that effect myself. With the media and political push of homosexuality, you would have expected Michael Sam to show a little discretion to help the transition. Instead he used the opportunity to push the envelope.

Don Jones needs to play very well. I didn't expect him to make the roster before this, but to make the team he's got to be good. He was Ireland's 7th round draft pick last year, not Hickey's. If this were a starter I think he would have only been fined.

Mon May 12, 2014 5:13 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
What he did was stupid.

So they have the nads to suspend a fringe player but let Pouncey go untouched? Given what happened last year I'd have to say that Pouncey's comments were even more stupid.

that's what i'm talking about!

Mon May 12, 2014 6:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finhead34 wrote:
I was waiting for Don Jones to get suspended. But, I actually agree with Rich, Jones should just know better than to post out on social media. This is a touchy public topic and although I completely understand you should be able to express your own opinion, this is a different world right now and you just need to play it smart when you are in the public's eye as a professional athlete.

Jones should have just kept his thoughts to himself. It just isn't worth losing your job over expressing your own personal opinion (I know that sounds very unfair, but it is what can happen in this day and age)

Just my opinion on the matter,

i agree. what is he thinking

Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It was stupid, for sure. Just like Pouncey wearing a free Hernadez hat, but the political correctness is out of hand....that's my major beef, no pun intended. :haha

Mon May 12, 2014 7:58 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reeducation_camp

Mon May 12, 2014 8:02 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
What he did was stupid.

What Pouncey did was stupid too, but it doesn't "offend" a "group" of people.

With all the attention that has been paid to the Michael Sam story leading up to the draft, what Jones did was more stupid.

Mon May 12, 2014 8:05 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

If we really want "High Character Guys" - Jones would have been cut.

He's not an all-star - there are 1,000 Don Jones waiting to get on a roster right now. Get rid of him and give someone more deserving a chance.

Mon May 12, 2014 9:13 am

IamPZ wrote:

He's not an all-star - there are 1,000 Don Jones waiting to get on a roster right now. Get rid of him and give someone more deserving a chance.

Cut because of a tweet?

Overkill.

Mon May 12, 2014 9:16 am

Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Cut because of a tweet?

Overkill.

Not overkill at all.

You are a grown man and a professional athlete. After all that's been happening with this team and this society, if you still don't know better, you don't deserve to be on the team.

I'd have cut him.

Mon May 12, 2014 9:19 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

What kinda message is that sending to his "family" teammates...if he were my friend i.'d be pissed at the team. It wasn't that bad of a crime

Mon May 12, 2014 9:25 am

IamPZ wrote:
Rich wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Cut because of a tweet?

Overkill.

Not overkill at all.

You are a grown man and a professional athlete. After all that's been happening with this team and this society, if you still don't know better, you don't deserve to be on the team.

I'd have cut him.

There are guys who beat their girlfriends, get caught with drugs, get DUIs etc that don't get cut, but now teams should start cutting a guy for a tweet, especially a guy who has had no prior issues?

That's ridiculous.

Mon May 12, 2014 9:26 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

There are guys who beat their girlfriends, get caught with drugs, get DUIs etc that don't get cut, but now teams should start cutting a guy for a tweet, especially a guy who has had no prior issues?

That's ridiculous

This is the slippery slope that this country in on. The guy says OMG and gross and entire group of people gets offended? Pouncey wears a hat that probably pisses off the family members of the murder victim. We are talking about an opinion about someone licking cake off of another persons face, it's gross. Man on man, male on female, male on beast, female on beast, or female on female...well, maybe not the last set. Stupid, yes, just call it a day.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:10 am

It's not like I agree that those other guys should be on the team either.

I'm simply stating, that if Joe Philbin want's only "high character guys" like we've heard him say multiple times, then he'd get rid of a guy like Don Jones. And to be fair, I was promoting that we trade Mike Pouncey this offseason as well.

Being fired for strong opinions on social media isn't a new thing - it happens every single day in the work force. I've done HR for several years, I see it all the time.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:22 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I hear you PZ, but I believe that I'm a hard working asset at my job and do everything 100% whether it's work, fishing, sports, husband, dad ETC. I would consider myself "high character". I also think what he did was gross. Does that make me "low character" and worthy of being fired? I with you on character guys and hard workers for sure PZ.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:26 am

IamPZ wrote:

I'm simply stating, that if Joe Philbin want's only "high character guys" like we've heard him say multiple times, then he'd get rid of a guy like Don Jones. And to be fair, I was promoting that we trade Mike Pouncey this offseason as well.

Being fired for strong opinions on social media isn't a new thing - it happens every single day in the work force. I've done HR for several years, I see it all the time.

I used to be a manager and dealt with HR quite a bit. Not a single person would get fired for tweeting OMG HORRIBLE, especially if it was a first time thing. They would get a verbal warning AT MOST.

Joe Philbin has fined and suspended Don Jones for the tweet. This is more than enough.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:32 am

Makchell wrote:
I hear you PZ, but I believe that I'm a hard working asset at my job and do everything 100% whether it's work, fishing, sports, husband, dad ETC. I would consider myself "high character". I also think what he did was gross. Does that make me "low character" and worthy of being fired? I with you on character guys and hard workers for sure PZ.

Exactly, going on twitter and posting something stupid doesn't all of a sudden make you a low character guy.

If that is the standard, then there is no such thing on this planet as a high character guy because we all do stupid things.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:33 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

What some fail to realize is the simple fact that if the shoe were on the other foot, you wouldn't be hearing a dang thing about it.

In fact, it's all over the media, and everyone is glorifying the behavior and the notion that it's OK.

Everyone keeps throwing around the idea that "it offends a particular group of people" and that's what makes it wrong. Ask yourself this. Did it ever occur to anyone that Michael Sam doing what he did on national TV offended a larger group of people than the one that actually supports him? So you want to shut the voice up, even fire him, because his viewpoint is different than one particular group, simply because it doesn't agree with what that particular "group" thinks is right?

Code:
hy·poc·ri·sy
hiˈpäkrisē/Submit
noun
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

I am unbiased on the issue of homosexuality, I have homosexual friends, had homosexual co-workers and family. Do I personally think it's wrong? Yes I do. That doesn't mean that I try to limit their freedoms to tell me that they think it's OK.

What I have issue with is the "certain groups", the employers, and media crying foul when someone tweets "OMG" in non-support of the situation, but would be patting the same person on the back if he said "Awesome, go Michael... I'm so proud of you".

I think Oscar Wilde said it best.

Quote:
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a$$ of yourself.

Mon May 12, 2014 10:56 am

***Breaking News*** - (AP) The NFL has decided to ban the use of the following terms:
1. Personal foul "blow to the QB's head"
2. He went low on the TE
3. "Not enough "men" on the LOS"
4. Illegal formation
5. He could go all the way
6. Hard count
7. All plays referring to the 2 hole

Mon May 12, 2014 11:11 am

IamPZ wrote:

So just out of curiousity...I have no reference to my company in my profile. Do I have free speech or if I post something that someone stumbles across can I be fired?

Mon May 12, 2014 11:13 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

With all the attention that has been paid to the Michael Sam story leading up to the draft, what Jones did was more stupid.

Sam's actions also offend a "group" of people, but that doesnt matter because he is allowed to express himself freely same way as everyone else....
Jones is employed by the Dolphins, they have set a certain standard of how the employees act in public. Jones violated that.

I think Jones is a moron, but I also think Michael Sam made a mochary of a historical moment.
Give you partner a big kiss, hug your momma and cry like everyone else. No need to go to extra lengths to draw attention.

Mon May 12, 2014 11:40 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

So just out of curiousity...I have no reference to my company in my profile. Do I have free speech or if I post something that someone stumbles across can I be fired?

If someone from your company is your friend on facebook and finds something you post offensive, then proceeds to bring it to HR, yes.. you can be fired.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:20 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I pretty much agree with 10, both Sam and Jones should have been smarter about their actions.

Jones made the often made mistake of forgetting that working for the Miami Dolphins stems your American right of "freedom of speech", but there are many jobs, maybe even most jobs, that have rules and regulations that don't allow you to be "free" so to speak, even if it's as simple as a dress code/uniform, and unless he grew up on Mars he has some inkling about this even if he didn't read the fine print on his contract, so this is a stupid mistake, a kind of laughable stupid mistake but none the less...

Sam needs to show a bit more sense on such a polarizing topic, after all, showing flagrant heterosexualness in that forum is also frowned upon but he is in a new area, with the whole gay openness in sports thing, and should have the sense to tread lightly, this is one of those topics that has "elephant in the room" truths that no one wants to talk about be cause of what's PC, which does override the truth at times.

So to sum up, he should be aware that he's a lightning rod at the moment.

PS. Is this a bad time for a, "that's what he said" joke?

PSS. Is it always a bad time for a bad joke?

Mon May 12, 2014 12:20 pm

10acjed wrote:
Rich wrote:

Sam's actions also offend a "group" of people, but that doesnt matter because he is allowed to express himself freely same way as everyone else....
Jones is employed by the Dolphins, they have set a certain standard of how the employees act in public. Jones violated that.

I think Jones is a moron, but I also think Michael Sam made a mochary of a historical moment.
Give you partner a big kiss, hug your momma and cry like everyone else. No need to go to extra lengths to draw attention.

I didn't see this whole cake incident everyone talks about - did NFL Network even air it?

Mon May 12, 2014 12:21 pm

IamPZ wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

If someone from your company is your friend on facebook and finds something you post offensive, then proceeds to bring it to HR, yes.. you can be fired.

Case in point - I work for a supermarket company.

One day one of our workers had a rough day, so proceeded to rant about it on his Facebook page saying,

"OMG my boss is such an butthole I swear to god I'm gonna blow this place up."

Pretty extreme and I'm not at all comparing it to the Michael Sam / Don Jones incident, I'm just giving an example.

A co-worker saw the post, brought it to the store manager, and we had to fire the kid. Did we think he was going to blow the store up? No, not at all. But we one associate feel threatened enough to bring it to our attention so we had to take action, and make sure that person felt comfortable again. We did so by letting the guy go.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Even Stephan A. Smith said it's wrong to suspend and fine Jones.

Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

IamPZ wrote:

I didn't see this whole cake incident everyone talks about - did NFL Network even air it?

It was on espn.
It started out fine, maybe a little uncomfortable to people who have never seen two men kiss in that way, or are actually offended by it, but otherwise looked like typical stuff kids do with the girlfriends.

Then they went back to cover it more, and that is when they cut in on the cake smearing etc. Just seemed to over the top for me. It was really cool to see the pick and reaction, then it just got silly.

Mon May 12, 2014 2:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
It was on espn.
It started out fine, maybe a little uncomfortable to people who have never seen two men kiss in that way, or are actually offended by it, but otherwise looked like typical stuff kids do with the girlfriends.

Then they went back to cover it more, and that is when they cut in on the cake smearing etc. Just seemed to over the top for me. It was really cool to see the pick and reaction, then it just got silly.

When the cake thing broke out, all it was missing were funky horns from the 70's blaring in the background.

Mon May 12, 2014 2:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Case in point - I work for a supermarket company.

One day one of our workers had a rough day, so proceeded to rant about it on his Facebook page saying,

"OMG my boss is such an butthole I swear to god I'm gonna blow this place up."

Pretty extreme and I'm not at all comparing it to the Michael Sam / Don Jones incident, I'm just giving an example.

A co-worker saw the post, brought it to the store manager, and we had to fire the kid. Did we think he was going to blow the store up? No, not at all. But we one associate feel threatened enough to bring it to our attention so we had to take action, and make sure that person felt comfortable again. We did so by letting the guy go.

A good friend of mine was in Disney World with his wife and children (ages 9 and 6 at the time). A girl who was riding on the Tram next to them was quite drunk and swearing in conversation. My buddy asked her if she wouldn't mind watching the language in front of his kids, she proceeded to tell him to screw. She then added she is so and so, and works for XYZ Law Firm so he can't do squat about it. He filed her name and company to memory.

He called the firm the next morning, explained the situation and was told they would be in touch. Her boss confronted her, she admitted being drunk and yelling at a guy. Boss said she hurt the company image by behavior, attitude and name dropping. Fired her and then called my buddy to apologize.

I'm sure we all have stories like this. Point is that businesses will react quickly and harshly to protect their image.

Mon May 12, 2014 2:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:

If all Jones tweete was OMG & Horrible then how was that associated with Sams?

Mon May 12, 2014 5:43 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

This is complete BS. It was gross and it was horrible. ESPN is forcing the whole "we are ok with gays" down your throat. They showed them kissing like 3 separate times and the cake thing was absolutely uncalled for. I guarantee some of that was scripted just to show the world that ESPN accepts gays. I am not homophobic at all but that doesn't mean I am ok with seeing two dudes making out on national television. When I turn on ESPN I expect to see sports, the last thing I am looking for is two guys all over each other. Some world we live in that you get suspended for speaking your mind. I have absolutely no issue with what he said and it did not warrant a suspension or a fine. This is getting ridiculous. The Rams drafted the guy as a publicity stunt, he shouldn't make it through camp but the will keep him on as a media attraction.

Tue May 13, 2014 1:04 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He was named to the Professional Football Writer's Association All-Rookie Team as the kick gunner on special teams. He appeared in all 16 games this season and was a contributor. Half of our draft this year would be lucky to contribute as much as he did last year.

Let the kid complete his stupid class, get his stupid certificate, and get back to being a member of this football team. He's a young man who made a dumb mistake on Twitter. He wasn't the first Dolphin to do it and he won't be the last. Also, if my gut is correct, he won't be the only player to make a verbal attack on Michael Sam this year. Give it a few weeks, somebody else will wind up in front of this media buzzsaw.

Tue May 13, 2014 1:22 am

Dphins4me wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

If all Jones tweete was OMG & Horrible then how was that associated with Sams?

Because he issued an apology directly to Sam therefore admitting it was directly correlated?

C'mon people - try to make this guy an angel when clearly he isnt.

Tue May 13, 2014 8:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next