View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 It comes down to coaching 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post It comes down to coaching
A bunch of people here like to bash our drafts every spring, but what it really comes down to is what the coaching staff gets out of the talented guys our GM's have drafted.

Quote:
POOR TRACK RECORD

To keep that description from raising eyebrows, it’s now up to Joe Philbin and his coaching staff to develop these players quickly and make the skeptics into believers.

It’s important for this coach to get his new players sufficiently prepared to not only compete but also to actually contribute in 2014. If we’re talking about first-round pick Ja’Wuan James and third-round pick Billy Turner, the coach has to find a way to get the youngsters good enough, fast enough, so that they can start.

But that hasn’t been one of Philbin’s strengths.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/05/11/4 ... o-joe.html

Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: It comes down to coaching
Good points. There had to be a scapegoat for the final 2 games last season & it was just Irelands time. It seems he just lost out in a power struggle. I think Philbin will find himself in a similar situation at years end. While the drafts might not have been stellar , the talent was there. It was just not cultivated.

Mon May 12, 2014 6:16 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Good points guys. Dansby was a pro bowl player, we sign him, he sucks and get's released. He signs with another team and lights it up...weird. Wheeler was a stud, same thing. Bush was a stud, then dud, now a stud again. Hell, throw in B-Marsh as well.

Mon May 12, 2014 7:59 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I have no confidence in this coaching staff - sans Bill Lazor.

In the two years the rest of them have been here, they've shown little to no ability to coach up their players.

Mon May 12, 2014 9:15 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
A bunch of people here like to bash our drafts every spring, but what it really comes down to is what the coaching staff gets out of the talented guys our GM's have drafted.

Just like a bunch of people always like to beam about it.

swerve13 wrote:
we got two 1st-round-talent players in Jordan and Taylor. Both should be excellent starters.
A very versatile lineman in Thomas.
Will Davis is quality depth in the secondary.
Jenkins can be a very good starting linebacker.
Gillislee will be an excellent complimentary back.
I'm not a big Dion Sims guy but who knows.
Love the Caleb Sturgis pick a ton
and Don Jones looks like a nice project too.

A grade

That being said, it's easy to try to oversimplify. IMO success requires a mixture of having the right talent and the right coaching staff that connects with said talent. Earth shattering information I know I know. But it's not just one or the other.

Even if your belief is we did get amazing talent this year (like you did last year), what on God's green Earth has this staff done to warrant any confidence?

Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 am

The one guy on Sirius ( his name escapes me right now ) gave us a C purely because of the obvious disconnect between Ireland and Philbin.

His argument was that we were refilling positions that were already "filled" by a previous regime and therefore having to waste valuable resources to do so.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Coaching can make all the difference in the world. Just look at Alex Smith before and after he was coached by Jim Harbaugh. Look at Nick Foles before and after Bill Lazor. Sometimes all it takes is the right coach to help that light go on for a player. Bottom line, if you have a talented player, and a coach that knows how to get the most out of him, you're going to see success. Hopefully with the addition of Lazor we can get the most out of Tannehill and the rest of the offense.

Tue May 13, 2014 10:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Coaching changed the defense from 34 to 43. And changed to zone blocking without having the lineman to execute that kind of offense. Coaching also abandoned the run last year and allowed the go/go go snap count to continue throughout the year.

Wed May 14, 2014 5:20 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

bobby0112 wrote:
Coaching changed the defense from 34 to 43. And changed to zone blocking without having the lineman to execute that kind of offense. Coaching also abandoned the run last year and allowed the go/go go snap count to continue throughout the year.

And somehow the coach kept his job. There's a reason why Hickey only got a two year deal when most GM's get close to five. If the Dolphins have another season like the past five, the entire coaching staff and front office will be swept out from top to bottom. Ross will then throw money and a first round pick at the 49ers to lure Jim Harbaugh to Miami and allow him to hand pick his GM.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think we hired a new Head coach and we and him took some lumps for it...

I like Joe P.. i have no idea why... the guy just loves to trade away anyone that forgets to say good morning to him or something.. I think he is a strange bird.. it has to be a power trip that gets him to send everyone that looks cross at him packing... and yet he seems to have a passion.. to build the team his way and at this point it has to be damm close.. But man I watch this guy during training camp.. he has everyone moving quick and focused as all hell...

He handled the Bully BS pretty well.. although i think he could have stopped it a long time before it all went to hell... That's just inexperience and focusing more on other areas of the team then the locker room.. I'm betting that's going to change fast.. I'd also bet that Pouncy won't be a fin after this season.....

I love the new OC i think that's going to be a HUGE lift to the Off and a bigger step in Ryan T becoming the QB that i think he can be...

I 100% don't get why we kept the DC.... or why we fired a great trainer.... we need to stop playing the scapegoat game and start thinking about the team as a whole.....

But were in up to our eyes in Joe's plan.. we need to ride it out now. Our new GM seems to work well with the coach.. The new OC will not only be amazing but will be a Head coach himself, prob sooner then we want...

but if I am worried about anything it's still the O-line, RT getting hurt... and the def.. it was not just a lack of players on def last season.. IMO hope i'm wrong

Wed May 14, 2014 9:29 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IamPZ wrote:
I have no confidence in this coaching staff - sans Bill Lazor.

In the two years the rest of them have been here, they've shown little to no ability to coach up their players.

I agree with you. I have no reason to have any confidence in this coaching staff, yet. I hope they give me a reason this year but no conviction it will happen.

Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

What I'm reading here means 2014 is going to be a tough year...again. I happen to agree that Philbin seems to get less out of his players than other coaches...and that isn't good.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

TommyNoleFin wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

And somehow the coach kept his job. There's a reason why Hickey only got a two year deal when most GM's get close to five. If the Dolphins have another season like the past five, the entire coaching staff and front office will be swept out from top to bottom. Ross will then throw money and a first round pick at the 49ers to lure Jim Harbaugh to Miami and allow him to hand pick his GM.

Given Harbaugh's track record in San Francisco, I've seen much worse coaching moves from the Miami Dolphins over the past decade plus.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]