View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Sun Sentinel Draft Grades 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Sun Sentinel Draft Grades
Quote:
Dave Hyde
Sports Columnist

Favorite pick: : Jarvis Landry. You can't have enough good receivers, and Landry gives a tough receiver who can play the slot in case injured Brandon Gibson isn't ready to go.

Grade: B-minus

Reasoning: They filled the desperate need of offensive linemen by taking two well-considered ones with the top three picks. Jarvis Landry could be a steal in the second round. All the small-school picks will be the doing or undoing of this draft. Of course, Bill Parcells built his Dolphins drafts around big-school players and look how that turned out.

-------

Omar Kelly
Dolphins Writer/Columnist

Favorite pick: LSU WR Jarvis Landry – He’s one of the draft’s toughest receivers. I see the next Anquan Boldin.

Grade: C-plus

Reasoning: The Dolphins addressed their needs – right tackle, athletic guard, big cornerback, athletic linebacker, in-line tight end – but took A LOT of risks with small school players, who will likely struggle with the transition to the NFL. Dennis Hickey likes small school players because they have a chip on their shoulder, which is valid. But last year’s draft class, which was filled with big name players from big programs, could barely handle the jump to the NFL.

--------

Chris Perkins
Dolphins Writer
Favorite pick: Tennessee RT Ja'Wuan James -- Yeah, maybe the Dolphins reached on James at No. 19 in the first round. But they had conviction, they saw the player they wanted, and they got him and also filled a need. I like that. To heck with the projections of James being a low-first round draft pick.
Grade: C-plus
Reasoning: They reached on a lot of players. WR Jarvis Landry (LSU) in the second round is a good pick. The Dolphins got two OL, which is good. But they drafted two WRs and one LB when LB was a greater need. And they drafted a blocking TE when they needed a receiving TE. They'd better hope talent outweighs need in this draft.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 5122.story

Mon May 12, 2014 6:28 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Sun Sentinel Draft Grades
All the small-school picks will be the doing or undoing of this draft. Of course, Bill Parcells built his Dolphins drafts around big-school players and look how that turned out.

I love it!

Mon May 12, 2014 7:55 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Wasn't the 2013 draft ALL big school players?

Mon May 12, 2014 8:06 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

A lot of them loved the Landry pick. Hope this kid is as good as everyone says.

Mon May 12, 2014 9:04 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
A lot of them loved the Landry pick. Hope this kid is as good as everyone says.

I like the pick to replace Gibson.

However, I'm still going to keep beating the drum of needing a real playmaker at that position ..... particularly someone with size and length.

Mon May 12, 2014 11:07 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I really am surprised at the big deal being made about small school players. Every draft is filled with small school players. Khalil Mack was rated the 2nd best player in this draft unanimously.

Blake Bortles didn't play in a power conference either.

Mon May 12, 2014 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]