View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 What connects you to the Phins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post What connects you to the Phins
I really like this site and all the people who contribute to it. You are a great bunch of guys and occasionally gals who come on here blog, post, debate and keep it going. Mod's are reasonable and Dave is a great owner.

In the last few years I have found that my connection to the Phins runs, at least somewhat through this site.

In the past my family, parents and brother, where all avid Phin fans. Watched games together and discussed the team. Now in my home I am the only one who really likes the Phins and nfl football for the most part.

In the past there have been a lot of personalities and players that helped form the connection to the team but at current I really have a lot less of that. Outside of Wake I don't have a lot of players or coaches that I really connect with.

In the past there seem to be so many people and personalities that drew me in. From the Don to the killer B's, no name D, Greise, Webb and Simms, Marino, Csonka, Mercury Morris, Jim Kiick, Marks brothrs, Stephenson,Warfield,Little, Langer, Kooch, Bru, Nat More, Thomas and Taylor, Offerdahl, Roby, Madison, Timbo, Duhé, McDuffie, Crash Jensen just to name a few off the top.

Of course a steady diet of winning helped a little too. : )

So thanks to all of you on here who help me stay connected to a childhood love and I am curious what connects you to the Phins?

Mon May 12, 2014 6:00 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: What connects you to the Phins
Right on, AQNOR. I like the idea.

I was born at Holy Cross in Ft Lauderdale & for as long as I can remember I have cheered for the Dolphins

When the family was smaller & the team was doing well we would get together every Sunday & dress in all Dolphins gear, scream & shout, run up & down the streets, & sing the song.

I once, while living in Gainesville, got a text that said Zach & JT are at a basketball game. So I drove to my friend's fraternity, borrowed a student ID of a kid who looked like me, & got into the rowdy reptiles section just so I could meet them & get an autograph. When I pulled out my Miami Dolphins wristband from under my sleeve their eyes lit up. It made my year & they let me take a picture. & then we talked about the Pats FG that eliminated us from the playoffs. They were cordial but some how more upset about it then I was haha & i mean that.

I was born in 81 so John Offerdahl was a giant to me & the first player I ever identified with. Then Bryan Cox took his place by giving Buffalos a Bird lol

Mon May 12, 2014 6:18 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't have a connection to the players anymore. It's been that way for a very long time, especially since Marino retired. The closest I've had to wanting to rooting individual players on was with Matt Moore, mostly because his on-field fiery persona reminded me of Danny.

Mon May 12, 2014 6:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Born and raised in NYC and the Dolphins were the first team that I was introduced to. My Dad was not much of a football fan. My grandmother had a friend who's son would always be wearing something that had Miami Dolphins on it everytime I saw him. That's my connection to the Phins. Then when I found out that they were undefeated the year I was born, it was the final hook. Been a true fan since the David Woodley days. Later on Dan Marino became my favorite player and loved watching him shred the Jets D. I mostly got to see him on TV when they were playing the Jets or on Monday Night Football.

FinFan4Life! Phins Up!!

:jests:

Mon May 12, 2014 6:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I started off as a Steeler fan growing up because half of my family are diehard fans from the Pittsburgh area. I was born and raised in South Florida, and was forced to move to Virginia for a couple years. I grew pretty homesick living away from Florida, and started rooting for the hometown Dolphins because of it. After several years of being a diehard fan, the Steelers are nothing to me now compared to Miami.

If I never moved out of Florida (ironically), I'd probably still be a Steelers fan. Glad I'm back home again though. :grin:

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Tue May 13, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 12, 2014 7:36 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I started keeping up with the Dolphins when I was in elementary school. My mom bought me and my brother Dolphins leather and swede jackets, aka Starter jackets before Starter was out.

It was during the Dolphins back to back Super Bowl wins. Loved Mercury Morris & Larry Csonaka and Bob Greise, Paul Warfield and that group. No loss hurt more than "The Sea of Hands" game. The Dynasty came to an end as Csonka, Warfield and Jim Kiick left for the WFL after that season.

Been following them since and like most, fell in love with Dan Marino.

Mon May 12, 2014 7:40 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Btw, as far as my fanhood is concerned ........ I think I lived in this outfit for about two weeks after I got it for Christmas when I was around 12.

Mon May 12, 2014 8:00 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

My dad had tickets to the 74 and 75 SB games and at one of the games he had dinner with Griese and some of the boys. When he told me the story when I five, I was hooked. He said they were the most fan friendly, down to earth guys (not like today) and he was sold. Then when Marino got drafted (being form an Italian family, the entire family fell in love with him form grandparents to auts and uncles) the love grew stronger. The Fins were on TV a lot back then so it become a family tradition on Sundays. My grandparents and great uncles have all passed away, but my dad, myself, and brother along with our combined 4 kids watch the Fins every Sunday, it's a family tradition. I found this site in '99 with Dave and T-Rock along with some Jet fan named Murph. We would go back and forth and it was fun. Then came Mitch and some a-hole named thrawn....which turned out to be Rich. I'll tell you something, Rich and I (among others) might go toe to toe, but he an awesome guy and we've had a lot fun at games.

Mon May 12, 2014 8:04 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Ome more thing to add...I met my wife on a sat night thru a friend. Our 2nd date was Monday and told her that "I" am going to a bar to watch Mon night football (fins of course). Her friends were like dump that a-hole, 2nd date to a sports bar? She said eff it, I'm going to take a chance and she met me at the bar with a Marino jersey and a T-shirt, I told her one day I'm going to marry you, she said yeah right, it's only our 2nd date. She is the most wonderful woman that I ever met and she puts up with my obsession with fishing, diving, and football. Just sharing...

Mon May 12, 2014 8:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Great stories, guys. Love the last one Mak.
My parents went to University of Miami in the 60s and moved to Michigan where I was born. I was raised in PA, but the Miami roots took hold and my whole family (dad and 2 older brothers and I) were die-hard Dolphins fans. I have never actually lived in Florida, and the only Dolphins game I have attended live was a Bills game where Kelly and company beat the Dolphins 27-0. I grew up loving Griese and company, but really connected with WoodStrock, the killer B's, Marino, the Marks bros, etc. The thing that connected the dots for me was always Shula. His class, his disposition on the sideline and absolute rule and high standards for his players was classic. I always have players on each team that I follow especially, though it's been harder recently. Now my favorite players are Wake and Grimes. I'm hoping to add at least one offensive player this year. (Please deserve it, RT!)

Mon May 12, 2014 8:42 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

And but of course the NFL Network is playing America Game, the 1972 Dolphins.

Mon May 12, 2014 8:58 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

When I first read the title of the thread the first thing that came to mind was tradition. Which I've always felt we have the best.
Ironically I was initially a Redskins fan (way back in '71). Then for SB VII I made a bet with a classmate. The loser would become a fan of the winners team. All the rest is history. Been a Dolphins fans ever since and really hate the Reskins (especially after SB XVII).
When I think back to my favorite players.....Griese, Von Schamann, Vigorito, Jensen, Marino are the main ones that come to mind.
Currently I don't really have a favorite player. Just root for the team.

Tue May 13, 2014 8:34 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

phinsfansc wrote:
And but of course the NFL Network is playing America Game, the 1972 Dolphins.

I watched every last second of it.

My fanhood comes from my Dad. I wouldn't say he's a die hard Fins fan, but he would root for them. I followed in his foot-steps, but like him, wasn't really too into the game other than watching the Phins game each Sunday.

Being born in 86, and not really diving fully into the game until somewhere around 2000 - I missed most of the Shula and Marino era. Have always known their importance to the team and to the league, but never had much of a chance to see them in their glory.

Watching that Americas Game 72 Dolphins was a really awesome look into who Don Shula was and introduced me to the greatness that was the No-Name (but had lots of good names) defense, the incredible offensive line, the Griese / Morrall story and so much more.

I probably joined this site when I was 17 or 18 (2003/2004) and that's when I got really into the team. Was never much for debating back and forth with anyone, but I would read constantly. Rich, The Hen, T-Rock, Dave, Mak and everyone else at the time were really in-depth (and still are) on their thoughts of the team, analysis of our players and I thought to myself - I don't know enough about these guys - I gotta get to work!

It's been history from there. Now I research these guys like it's my job. Watch closely every single game and look forward to coming here to discuss the happenings of the past weekend. I, like many of you, don't always get along with everyone here -- but as fellow Phins fans, I think we all have that healthy respect for one another - no matter how crazy it gets.

Have never and would never EVER consider wearing anything but Dolphins Aqua and Orange. Got a good feeling my casket will bleed those colors too one day.

Sheesh almost forgot my favorite players! Zach Thomas was my guy - always loved him - and aside from this site, was a huge reason I started to pay closer attention. Of course I liked Taylor too - even had a chance to meet him when he was on the Jets *puke* - but no one lived up to the Zach Attack.

Today I'd have to say Cameron Wake and Ryan Tannehill are my guys. Love the tenacity Wake brings, and there's something about Tannehill that makes me think he can really bring this team somewhere.

Tue May 13, 2014 9:01 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Great stories guys, thanks for the props PZ!

Tue May 13, 2014 9:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

What really turned me onto the Phins was the undefeated season. It grabbed my attention when before I really did not care for football all that much.

Thanks for sharing guys it is cool to hear your stories.

Tue May 13, 2014 11:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

as a 5 year old in 1981 it was the uniforms that grabbed me. My older brother exposed me to electric football and NFL sticker books and cards and I gravitated toward the 'standout' uniforms. They were the only team that wasn't red, blue, green, gray, black, yellow, etc.
Of course living in New Jersey my whole family tried to make me a Giants fan, but I've never been much of a follower.

I was too young then to care about names but little by little I started to learn about the killer B's and David Woodley and Jimmy Cefalo. But it wasn't til Dan the Man broke down the door that I became an obsessed superfreak Dolphins fan. It really took off for me in 1984 as an 8-year old and I haven't looked back. I feel blessed to have been spoiled by the Marino era. I feel bad for younger fans than didn't get to enjoy annual playoff births.

Tue May 13, 2014 12:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I started liking the Dolphins when I was really young, back in the mid 80s. The only players I knew were Marino, Clayton and Duper up until whenever Tecmo Super Bowl came out. Then I also became a John Offerdahl fan because I could sack the crap out of opposing QBs. I had more undefeated seasons and broke more records than imaginable!

Barry Sanders was my second favorite player so I had to cheer for the Lions at times. But other than that it has been all Dolphins all the way.

Best game I've ever watched? Tossup - 1994 Marino vs Bledsoe in an absolute shootout. I was in 8th grade and my parents let me invite a bunch of friends (all Pats fans) over to watch the game and order pizzas. I think Marino threw for 5 TD passes and Miami won. Oh my did I talk feces to everyone that day.

Other game, well I went to Miami this past December and saw the Fins beat the Pats. That game, in person, with rabid Pat fan relatives screaming at me, with such huge playoff implications and Tannehill coming through in the clutch...it was a good day.

Tue May 13, 2014 12:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was born in Miami in 1966. I grew up in Miami Shores when Miami was winning Super Bowls and in the playoffs almost annually. I can still remember the Goodyear Blimp flying over our house during football season. It was awesome watching Don Shula coached teams . Then came the Dan Marino years. Man did I love to watch him throw the football. I was in the Orange Bowl in 1985 for a magical Monday night game against the Bears. Even though I moved to central Florida near Tampa in 1979 I am a Dolphin fan for life. It doesn't matter whether they go 1-15 or 17-0.

Tue May 13, 2014 5:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am dating myself, but it all started when I bugged my mom when I was 5-6 years old to start buying orange/aqua Dolphin jerseys/shirts, so that puts me into the early seventies and right before their Superbowl run and powerhouse years. Although I can say I remember the Superbowl games; the gut wrenching loss in 74 to the Oakland Raiders on that prayer throw into 4-5 Dolphin players and I probably started really following stats and players in about 1974-1975 when I was 9/10 years old.

I grew up on Long Island and took A LOT of harsh criticism from the blunt New York Jet fans. Tons of great memories too with that rivalry when Shula shut the drainage system off and allowed the field to get muddy in the playoff game against the Jets and watching AJ Duhe take a pick six back from Richard Todd to watching another monumental collapse in 1981 when the Dolphins had a 27-14 lead against the Dallas Cowboys with one minute and twenty one seconds left, yes a 13 point lead with 1:21 left, only to lose the game 28-27 to the emergence of watching a young Dan Marino light up the Redskins on opening day for 5 TD passes in his second season and his dream year (except the Superbowl loss) to being at the opening day game in 1994 and watching Danny boy supposedly washed up from his achilles injury, only to throw for 473 yards and 5 touchdowns. Probably the greatest game I saw in person.

NFLJUNKIE and I met back in the early 90's while I was living in Denver and he and I watched games together EVERY WEEK for several years. I remember watching the 31-0 AFC playoff drubbing of the Chargers with Gary, only to fly down for the next game, the AFC EAST Championship against Buffalo......

Anyway, I was drawn to the Dolphins at a very young age and lived in hostile Jets country!!! most of my very fondest memories came during the Marino era as we were spoiled with excitement EVERY game. If Miami makes it to the Superbowl someday, no matter the cost of the ticket, I will be there, mark my word!

Tue May 13, 2014 6:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I have been a fan since my beloved Dolphins came into the league. No matter where I was in the world I always followed them. I very rarely got to see them play unless it was the playoffs or Monday nights.
When I was in Okinawa we (US Military) were not allowed to broadcast live TV (first live feed was the SST Challenger explosion) so for the Superbowls we would send an F-15 (my Dad helped design and test the motors in this aircraft which also powers the F16) to Clark AB PI to wait for the game to end. Once the game was over AFN would hand the pilot a copy and he would haul butt back, of course there was a KC135 up there to refuel it, that is how I watched the Dolphins vs Redskin Superbowl. What is real cool the NFL authorized this.

Favorite players: Zonk, Merc, War, The Man, Crash, Marks Brothers, Kiick, Blackwood brothers, Weed Man, Web, Sims, Zach, JT and many more.

My history Born in Palm Beach in 63, left in 76 for 7 years, joined the USAF in 84, moved back to Palm Beach in 2004.

Try and see at least one game a year and plan on getting season tickets next year. Wife and Daughter love the Dolphins and we will grill out every Sunday and if it is a Monday night game its Ribeye's on the grill.

Do not say much on here because I am not good with words.

Posters I like: Everyone of you, I used to do all the research myself, now I come here and I can find out everything, its amazing.

I am going to the Packers game this year and would love to meet up with follow Phin Fans.

Chip

Tue May 13, 2014 7:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I started watching football in '73. Monday Night Football lured me in and it was a good time to sit down with dad and enjoy the game. I loved the look of the Dolphins' uniforms, their cheerleaders and the Orange Bowl atmospherics on TV back then. That is all it took to hook a 9 year old kid on the Dolphins. I was also a fan of the home team Rams, but that ended a couple years after they left Los Angeles...the thrill was gone. I have always been a faithful Dolphins fan, even though it has been hard to watch as of late.

I loved the Marino era, even though I missed a chunk of those games when I was in the navy. I have only been able to see the Dolphins at a stadium on a couple of occasions. If only Los Angeles would get pro football back.

Tue May 13, 2014 8:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Superbowl XIX Monatana vs Marino

I watched this game and was hooked as a Phin fan for life. Now the torch is passed on to my son Zach (Thomas) who loves the Phins.

I had to work the night of the draft this year. My wife said he begged to stay up so he could see who Miami picked.

This year is so exciting as the Phins play in Detroit, just across the river from Windsor, my hometown.

This will be his first Dolphins game and first NFL game ever.

He's pumped to say the least.

And much to the shagrin of my wife, my 7 year old daughter Tia has caught the Phin fever and even sings the Miami fight song.

Tue May 13, 2014 9:40 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I first read about the Dolphins when I was a kid in the mid 70's before I ever touched a football. I lived right down the road from Virginia Tech when I was a kid and now I live right between UNC and Duke. I was born in 1969 so I missed the years when we won 2 Superbowls. Through my reading about the game and trying to learn how to play for some reason I took to the Dolphins and never looked back. I guess its never really been about a certain player but man through the years we have had our share of gifted players, IMO. I suppose it was the winning in the 70's and there perfect season and being a little kid and reading about the superbowls, I felt like I was there in a way. When I would read and imagine the game happening it drew me in and I have been a fan ever since. That sums up my connection to our Phins. Thanks for the topic and thanks for reading. Hope you all the best.

Tue May 13, 2014 10:19 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I was born in upstate New York, raised in Miami. My father knew some of the Dolphins on the 72 team personally. A great bunch of guys.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Dan Marino....

I was in Navi boot camp in Fla Dans first year .. first leave there was a military bus trip to a game..

I went.... game over lol i was hooked!

funny part is . I hated football when i was a kid.. loved playing it! hated watching it.. but that day changed all that.. no idea how or why.. but there was magic in Mia that season...and i was simply hooked..

It was a sad day for me when Dan retired.. and the years that have followed.. OMG where have all my heroes gone??... Zach T I miss watching you play! Jason T broke my heart when he became a jet... and the coaches... one joke after another one.. the mega star coaches that came in and took a dump on our field..... and yet that 1 day.... still holds me steadfast... damm you Dan!! lol

Wed May 14, 2014 9:38 am
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ
2011 NCAA Pick 'Em Champ

1972 against the Oilers. My grandfather lived in Fla and I used to spend summers down there. Took me fishing after the game on his boat. What a thrill for a 5 year old. My dad was a lifelong Skins fan living here in MD. He hated that my granpa sent me home on the plane wearing Dolphins gear. The rest is history...

Wed May 14, 2014 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]