View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFL 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFL
Quote:
One of the problems the Dolphins have had with player development the past few years is they don't always have a clear vision about their talent.

Just prior to this draft, the Dolphins weren't sure if they were going to use 2013 draft pick Dallas Thomas as a guard or a tackle. So a year after picking him, having him in training camp and, indeed, getting him started in this year's offseason program, last year's third-round pick didn't know his position. (He should be a guard, folks).

Dannell Ellerbe, signed to a big-money contract to play middle linebacker last year, may be moving outside this year because that work he did at MLB was no bueno.

Koa Misi was drafted as a 3-4 outside linebacker but he's been taking repetitions as a middle linebacker now -- an experiment that has been tried multiple times during his time with the team. Jared Odrick? Drafted as a 3-4 DE. Now a 4-3 DT.

Dion Jordan? Is he a defensive end? Is he an outside linebacker? What's the vision for him?

And that brings me to Billy Turner, a Dolphins third-round selection in this most recent draft.

Turner played left tackle at North Dakota State as the Bisons won three consecutive FCS (small school) championships. Some teams projected him as a right tackle prior to the draft.

The Dolphins have not said where they want him to settle in.

Here's an idea: The Dolphins should settle Turner in at guard and ...

Keep.

Him.

There. ...

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Wed May 14, 2014 11:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFL
I feel like we have a very poor history of transitioning guys to other positions.

Wed May 14, 2014 12:42 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I feel like we have a very poor history of transitioning guys to other positions.

I hear ya, why even do it? Take a guard. Jimmy Wilson is a prime example, Corner, safety, corner, safety.

Wed May 14, 2014 1:00 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Is it still possible to fire the coaching staff?

Wed May 14, 2014 1:01 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Re: Turner played OT in college, must be G in NFLt
There are many Gs in the NFL that were Ts in college, generally speaking in college the best OLmen are Ts, those who are less athletic end up as Gs so many Ts, especially LTs are drafted into the NFL for every OL position except C, but there also have been college LTs that have become NFL Cs.

PPlayers drafted out of position is really common, not sure where this idea has al of a sudden like popped up where your supposed to draft @ position,a large % of non C OLmen in the NFL were college LTs, college DEs are very often drafted as LBs, college DTs are often drafted as DEs and CBs are often drafted as Ss.

The fact is, the NFL is different, and skills/size lets you do certain things in college that you won't be able to do in the NFL and you'll have to change your position if you want to continue to play at this level.

Wed May 14, 2014 1:31 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Quote:
Here's an idea: The Dolphins should settle Turner in at guard and ...

Keep.

Him.

There. ...

I believe that is the plan for him all along.

Wed May 14, 2014 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Coaches/GM's are notorious for vague broad answers to these types of questions.. Who is the starter, what position etc...

These guys are fresh off the bus, havent even suited up. I feel better thinking they will find a way to use him rather than just say it OT or nothing before camp even starts. Its not like we have 2 franchise G's on the roster, the entire line aside from Pouncey is in question and should be an open comp that is settled quickly regardless of draft position...

Wed May 14, 2014 3:45 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

10acjed wrote:
Coaches/GM's are notorious for vague broad answers to these types of questions.. Who is the starter, what position etc...

These guys are fresh off the bus, havent even suited up. I feel better thinking they will find a way to use him rather than just say it OT or nothing before camp even starts. Its not like we have 2 franchise G's on the roster, the entire line aside from Pouncey is in question and should be an open comp that is settled quickly regardless of draft position...

Wed May 14, 2014 5:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm hoping Miami doesn't do to Turner what they did to Thomas last season. I think that if they let the two players duke it out for the starting right guard spot, you'll see both of them play well. It's hard to develop good technique when you're being constantly asked to change your position. There are some guys who can play guard all season long, and then step into the tackle position like nothing happened. Other guys, not so much.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]