View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 Is Jonathan Vilma a Fit for the Miami Dolphins? 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Is Jonathan Vilma a Fit for the Miami Dolphins?
Is Jonathan Vilma a Fit for the Miami Dolphins?
Quote:
Final Verdict
At 32 years of age, Vilma is clearly past his best, while his body is unlikely to withstand a whole season. But that doesn't mean he can't be a role player on a team. Will that team be the Dolphins? Vilma would undoubtedly bring leadership skills and football intelligence, and it would be a fitting end for the player to finish his career in his hometown of Miami, but it's difficult to see Hickey taking a chance on a player with a chequered past. Miami is clearly trying to build a team of talented and dependable footballers that stay out of trouble. Vilma doesn't fit the blueprint, and is no longer talented enough for the Dolphins to take a chance on. Also, is Miami really ready to give up on Dannell Ellerbe after one season?

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/5/14/5 ... i-dolphins

Personally, I'm not completely against this. Vilma is clearly a boom or bust signing. If he's healthy, and we're truly interested in looking at a middle linebacker other than Ellerbe, then I think he's worth a look. In my opinion he's no different that Delmas or Finnegan. Sign him cheap to a one year prove-it deal.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Is Jonathan Vilma a Fit for the Miami Dolphins?
Quote:
Also, is Miami really ready to give up on Dannell Ellerbe after one season?

The Dolphins would not give up on Ellerbe after one season, they would shift him to the weak side backer spot.

Thu May 15, 2014 4:30 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:
Also, is Miami really ready to give up on Dannell Ellerbe after one season?

The Dolphins would not give up on Ellerbe after one season, they would shift him to the weak side backer spot.

Ellerbe isn't the player they would give up on, it would be Wheeler. Vilma is a very good middle linebacker. I've always liked the way he played, even when he was with the Jets. I would be on board with this.

Thu May 15, 2014 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I said for a while that Vilma was a guy to look out for. Still lives and trains here so if the Dolphins have interest they can watch him alot and see if he's ready. Veteran, leader, makes plays when healthy and can help mentor Jenkins, Tripp and others while being able to be a perfect fit at mlb early on. Im all in on this move

Thu May 15, 2014 7:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I wouldn't be a fan of this signing, we're not on the verge of competing for a SB just yet so why sign yet another stop gap player, I'd rather use Misi in that role, see if he can fit the bill and he could possibly be our MLB for the next 5 years, Vilma is pretty much used up at this point, it's not like we're going to sign him to a long term deal if he plays well, he'll be 33 next year.

I just don't see the point, no one should have playoff aspirations, this is the first year of a new GM, we aren't picking up where we left off last year, we're morphing into someone else's idea of a football team, patience should be the call this year imo, I don't want to get to the playoffs this year so to speak, I want to become a viable contender year in and year out like we used to be, like the good organizations are, and if we make the playoffs this year while trying to accomplish that then great, but I sincerely hope that they are not in a short sighted playoff push to please the fans, because that rarely works for any type of longevity.

Thu May 15, 2014 8:52 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Big Dave wrote:
Vilma was a very good middle linebacker.

There, I fixed it for you.

Thu May 15, 2014 9:30 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

No thanks. I'd rather see a young guy develop than waste salary on this fossil.

Thu May 15, 2014 12:59 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I agree, he WAS a great MLB and probably still has a little left to offer but not at the expense of taking snaps from a young guy. But no harm in taking a real look to see what he has left. And Im still feeling a shot at the playoffs, new GM or not.

Thu May 15, 2014 1:27 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
on this fossil.

Ha! Ha! Rock!!! Fossil LOL

Thu May 15, 2014 5:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I see or here Vilma and I can't help but think Flintstones.

Thu May 15, 2014 7:02 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I seriously would like some back up on the earlier statement that miami is NOT picking up where they left off...

From my perspective, we are watching an 8-8 team that missed the playoffs by a tie breaker.... that is returning All their offensive skill position players and then some. "Oh but our offense was not that good".... Lets not forget that Tannehill threw for the most amouth of passing yards for a Dolphin since Marino in the mid-90s behind a historically bad O LINE and taking 58 sacks....

The O line has been addressed, Holes have been filled, and they have 4 months to be ready for action. Regardless of how they gel, that O line will be better than last years atrocity! We added a hands receiver, AND a pass blocking RB... Offense which was not as bad as the media made it out to be has very much improved!

Defense, well lets not forget that this humble defense did the following last year:
1.) shut out a Jets team that barely moved the ball at all in a complete mismatch.
2.) closed out an OT showdown with a Division champ with a walk off safety.
3.) Humbled Brady and the Mighty Patriots.
4.) Deflated the air out of Mr Luck's not so endless Luck
5.) Took Philip Rivers and crew to town!

Were there blunders along the way? Sure, the Jets part 2, and all of the Bills highlights are awful. Letting Cam Newton win a game when you knew it was coming. Almost letting Pittsburgh take that one home in the snow. Yes there were mistakes!! BUT There is no reason NOT to expect the playoffs.

Itll ride with Tannehill... Vilma can help.

Thu May 15, 2014 7:53 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Defense, well lets not forget that this humble defense did the following last year:
1.) shut out a Jets team that barely moved the ball at all in a complete mismatch.
2.) closed out an OT showdown with a Division champ with a walk off safety.
3.) Humbled Brady and the Mighty Patriots.
4.) Deflated the air out of Mr Luck's not so endless Luck
5.) Took Philip Rivers and crew to town

1. Got beat by a winless Bucs team
2. Got swept by the Bills with a QB that won't be in the league in a year or 2
3. Jet's schooled us at home
4. Brady came back and beat us.
5. Cound't score more than 7 points in the final 2 games to seal a playoff spot.

lol..really though, clean up some little things and we should be OK.

Thu May 15, 2014 8:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
I seriously would like some back up on the earlier statement that miami is NOT picking up where they left off...

From my perspective, we are watching an 8-8 team that missed the playoffs by a tie breaker.... that is returning All their offensive skill position players and then some. "Oh but our offense was not that good".... Lets not forget that Tannehill threw for the most amouth of passing yards for a Dolphin since Marino in the mid-90s behind a historically bad O LINE and taking 58 sacks....

3,900 yards really isn't what you make it out to be considering Tannehill dropped back to pass a ridiculous 588 times at a paltry 6.2 YPC. His stats were inflated if anything and they need to lower that number by a good 30-40 attempts IMO.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri May 16, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
3,900 yards really isn't what you make it out to be considering Tannehill dropped back to pass a ridiculous 588 times at a paltry 6.2 YPC. His stats were inflated if anything and they need to lower that number by a good 300-400 attempts IMO.

So you're saying Tannehill should only drop back 15 times a game...those are Bob Griese numbers. The worst QB in the league will drop back more than 60% of that at least in 2014. You must be expecting huge things from Lamar/Moreno this season.

Thu May 15, 2014 10:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
SkyHigh314 wrote:

3,900 yards really isn't what you make it out to be considering Tannehill dropped back to pass a ridiculous 588 times at a paltry 6.2 YPC. His stats were inflated if anything and they need to lower that number by a good 300-400 attempts IMO.

His stats are not inflated. His 588 attempts were 7th most in the NFL last year. But his 3,913 yards were good for 10th most in the NFL. His yards per attempt was 6.7. Not sure where you're getting 6.2 yards per completion when his yards per attempt is 6.7. In my opinion, Tannehill is right about where he should be.

For a solid comparison, Joe Flacco attempted the 6th most passes last year (614), just ahead of Tannehill. Flacco finished 11th in the NFL in yards, just behind Tannehill (3,912). His yards per attempt was 6.4 (worse than Tannehill). This is a quarterback just coming off of a Super Bowl winning season.

The big things I want to see out of Tannehill this season are improvements in his completion percentage (especially on deep balls), turning the ball over less, increased redzone execution, finishing out halfs/games (2 minute drill), and performing more consistently (week-to-week). If he gets better in all of these areas, the Dolphins are going to be much better off than they were last season. He doesn't need to throw the ball less, he and the rest of the offense just need to do a better job executing when he does drop back.

Thu May 15, 2014 10:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

So you're saying Tannehill should only drop back 15 times a game...those are Bob Griese numbers. The worst QB in the league will drop back more than 60% of that at least in 2014. You must be expecting huge things from Lamar/Moreno this season.

I agree, reducing his attempts that much is silly talk. No starting quarterback in the NFL throws that many passes, even the teams with good rushing attacks throw it more than that.

The Dolphins didn't sign Albert, a pro bowl left tackle, to run block all day long. They didn't sign Moreno, a solid pass protector and excellent receiver out of the backfield, to run between the tackles all day long. They didn't spend their first two picks on a right tackle (who specializes in pass protection) and a wide receiver, to hand the ball off all game long.

I have a hard time believing that our pass-first-minded coach is suddenly going to have a change of heart and want to turn this team he's building into a ground-and-pound rushing team. I'm glad this team is shifting away from that Tony Sparano 1980s ground-and-pound mentality.

Thu May 15, 2014 10:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

I'm sorry, show me where I stated 15 attempts a game.

Thanks.

Thu May 15, 2014 11:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I agree, reducing his attempts that much is silly talk. No starting quarterback in the NFL throws that many passes, even the teams with good rushing attacks throw it more than that.

I never said a darn word about reducing it to 15. The dude averaged freaking 36 attempts a game. That is too much. That is a one-dimensional approach to offense.

EDIT: My typo was pointed out to me. I meant 30-40 less pass attempts.

Quote:
The Dolphins didn't sign Albert, a pro bowl left tackle, to run block all day long. They didn't sign Moreno, a solid pass protector and excellent receiver out of the backfield, to run between the tackles all day long. They didn't spend their first two picks on a right tackle (who specializes in pass protection) and a wide receiver, to hand the ball off all game long.

I have a hard time believing that our pass-first-minded coach is suddenly going to have a change of heart and want to turn this team he's building into a ground-and-pound rushing team. I'm glad this team is shifting away from that Tony Sparano 1980s ground-and-pound mentality.

Didn't say a word about ground and pound either.

I love when you guys do this.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri May 16, 2014 12:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thu May 15, 2014 11:06 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
His stats are not inflated. His 588 attempts were 7th most in the NFL last year. But his 3,913 yards were good for 10th most in the NFL. His yards per attempt was 6.7. Not sure where you're getting 6.2 yards per completion when his yards per attempt is 6.7. In my opinion, Tannehill is right about where he should be.

Bro, he was 10th in yards but only 28th in yards/completion and 27th in yards/attempt. If that's not the DEFINITION of inflated yardage totals, then I don't know what would be. It's especially worse given his poor completion %.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/y ... assing.htm

Quote:
For a solid comparison, Joe Flacco attempted the 6th most passes last year (614), just ahead of Tannehill. Flacco finished 11th in the NFL in yards, just behind Tannehill (3,912). His yards per attempt was 6.4 (worse than Tannehill). This is a quarterback just coming off of a Super Bowl winning season.

What does his Super Bowl have to do with it? Look at the regression in his play this year with no running game and 614 pass attempts! He had 531 attempts in 2012 when they won it all and they had 444 rushing attempts. By comparison this year we had 349 rushing attempts.

Thu May 15, 2014 11:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
I'm sorry, show me where I stated 15 attempts a game.

Thanks.

Rock Sexton wrote:

Do the math.

Fri May 16, 2014 12:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Do the math.

That's my bad ... I meant 30-40 attempts.

Now that I think about it some more, I'd actually prefer to see him around 500-530 attempts, provided they also show some balance with the run game.

I mean 30 attempts/game in a 16 game season is 480 total.

Fri May 16, 2014 12:23 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tannehill's numbers ......

30 attempts or less = 82.1 QBR, 1 game with 2+ INT's

30 attempts or more = 76.9 QBR, 7 games with 2+ INT's

Fri May 16, 2014 12:36 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
3,900 yards really isn't what you make it out to be considering Tannehill dropped back to pass a ridiculous 588 times at a paltry 6.2 YPC. His stats were inflated if anything and they need to lower that number by a good 30-40 attempts IMO.

Awesome job of turning a Vilma thread into yet another Tannehill thread.

Fri May 16, 2014 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:

Oh now you're concerned with conversations veering slightly off the topic? Convenient. LOL

I didn't force those guys to respond to my comments in length. Take it up with them too.

Fri May 16, 2014 10:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

Oh now you're concerned with conversations veering slightly off the topic? Convenient. LOL

I didn't force those guys to respond to my comments in length. Take it up with them too.

4 total sentences on my part, is responding in "length"...? Lmao. Oh, my take on Vilma? Pass.

Fri May 16, 2014 11:16 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
4 total sentences on my part, is responding in "length"...? Lmao. Oh, my take on Vilma? Pass.

Maybe not you, but WK13.

Fri May 16, 2014 1:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Well Henne threw more int`s :haha

Fri May 16, 2014 6:21 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Curious, why the convenient comment Rock?

Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I never said a darn word about reducing it to 15. The dude averaged freaking 36 attempts a game. That is too much. That is a one-dimensional approach to offense.

EDIT: My typo was pointed out to me. I meant 30-40 less pass attempts.

Quote:

Didn't say a word about ground and pound either.

I love when you guys do this.

We can only go by what you say. You said 300 to 400 fewer attempts. That said, I too would like to see Tannehill throw the ball less in favor of the ground game, somewhere right around 30 drop backs per game would be perfect. Anything over 35 attempts a game and you're relying too much on the kid. While Tannehill may prove capable of handling that kind of workload in the future, right now it would be best to back him up with some type of ground attack. So I agree with you Rock.

Sun May 18, 2014 9:48 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I guess not.

Barry Jackson wrote:
### Representation for former UM and Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma reached out to the Dolphins, but Miami showed no interest after also passing on two other Canes linebackers in March: Jon Beason (Giants) and Darryl Sharpton (Redskins).

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]