View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Why Billy Turner Could Be Miami Dolphins’ Best Pick of 2014 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Why Billy Turner Could Be Miami Dolphins’ Best Pick of 2014
Quote:
Turner hails from North Dakota State, a relatively obscure program that had great success at the FCS level. If he would’ve been seen on networks like ESPN and CBS every Saturday, Turner would probably be dominating headlines in Miami like James and Landry are. Chances are, he wouldn’t have been attainable in the third round, though.

Turner consistently abused his inferior competition, displaying violence, nastiness, strength and athleticism — a blend of traits that suggest he’s capable of becoming a complete player at the next level. Of course, critics of small-school prospects will question the caliber of talent Turner faced.

Pancaking defensive linemen from schools like Ferris State and Northern Iowa comes with an asterisk.
Any doubts about Turner’s ability to hold his own, let alone dominate against stronger, more athletic defenders were put to rest on August 31, 2013 and at January’s Senior Bowl.

Last August, North Dakota State opened its season on the road against Kansas State, an FBS school in an automatic qualifying conference. The Bison entered the matchup as heavy underdogs, but emerged with a victory and national affirmation. Turner played a pivotal role in the upset, completely shutting down Kansas State’s pass rush on the left side and burying opponents into the turf on running plays.

Turner simply manhandled an opposition that was supposedly bigger, stronger and more athletic. His coaches gave him an efficiency grade of 96 percent on the night, charting a ridiculous 10 knockdowns.
If doubt prevailed after that rousing performance and a senior season in which Turner didn’t allow a single sack at left tackle — porous competition or not, that’s remarkable — it was, once again, dispelled at the Senior Bowl.

Some rawness in Turner’s technique was brought to light, but from all accounts, he improved throughout the week. “Second day in a row that Billy Turner has impressed,” CBS Sports’ Rob Rang tweeted after a workout at the Senior Bowl. “A top-five player here this week.”

In addition to impressing at tackle, Turner dabbled at guard during Senior Bowl workouts, which was important for the Dolphins to see given their hole inside. Not only does Turner appear willing to move to guard, doing so is apparently his preference.

“I always wanted the chance to play guard, just because I’m a physical guy,” Turner told reporters at February’s combine. “I’m a physical run blocker, so I always wanted to get inside, get a little closer to that defender and just try to run some people over.”

That mindset likely factored into the Dolphins’ decision to trade up for him in the third round. Coaches love strong, athletic players who relish contact. That’s Turner in a nutshell. It jumps out on film; Turner explodes through contact. Many players reveal hesitancy when a collision is imminent. Not Turner.

Some prospects are better athletes than football players. Some are better football players than athletes. Turner, with a throwback demeanor, is a true football player who possesses prototypical athleticism for Miami’s zone-blocking scheme. And he accompanies that ability with a tireless work ethic.

“Billy works harder than anyone I ever met,” Louis Nix III, who trained with Turner before the draft, said during a filming of Turner’s pre-draft documentary. “He’s the first one here and the last one gone. Billy motivates me.”

Turner may start Week 1 at either right or left guard for the Dolphins. And when Branden Albert‘s contract is up or his play beings to decline, Turner has the foot speed to potentially kick over to left tackle in the future. Taking him in the third round arguably killed two birds with one stone — the club’s current need for a starting guard and its future need for a blindside protector.

If Turner maximizes his potential at both spots or just guard, he could easily be remembered as Miami’s best acquisition of the 2014 draft.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/05/1 ... 4KEcjfH.99

Fri May 16, 2014 12:46 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Why Billy Turner Could Be Miami Dolphins’ Best Pick of 2014
If week 17 comes and James/Turner start all 16 games and we can say that they earned their spots all year long then they were both great picks so im excited

Fri May 16, 2014 12:53 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

If Turner and James can stabilize the right side of the OL, it would be HUGE.

Fri May 16, 2014 12:59 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

phinsfansc wrote:

Definitely, and it would give Miami the luxury of drafting one of the elite play makers (TE/WR/LB/S/CB) in the 2015 draft.

Fri May 16, 2014 1:01 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
phinsfansc wrote:

Definitely, and it would give Miami the luxury of drafting one of the elite play makers (TE/WR/LB/S/CB) in the 2015 draft.

Also should help the offense tremendously and tbh I cant see the team not making the playoffs if that happens

Fri May 16, 2014 1:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Probably will be later rather than sooner if they're actually able to develop him. It's going to take him time to adjust to the nuances of the guard position, while at the same time adjusting to competition that's actually better than he is.

Fri May 16, 2014 1:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Playing Devils Advocate Tony, do we really want TWO rookies playing on the same side together? That could pose huge challenges. I see Turner at left guard (In my opinion)

Fri May 16, 2014 4:52 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

Playing Devils Advocate Tony, do we really want TWO rookies playing on the same side together? That could pose huge challenges. I see Turner at left guard (In my opinion)

Karl, I want whoever performs the best and gives the Dolphins the best chance to have success. If it means James and Turner man the right side, I'm fine with it. And YES, Turner could slide to OLG.

It's all about developing chemistry and cohesion for the offensive line, and as Rock stated in regards to Turner, adjusting to a step up in the level of competition. He did perform well in the Senior Bowl though.

The OL is the biggest key to this team taking the next step as a team and for Ryan Tannehill as a player.

Fri May 16, 2014 5:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Oh I agree completely Tony, time and performance will tell. My point was merely pointing out that sticking two rookies side by side on the line MIGHT be a bit unlikely and I see Turner on the left, but at the end of the day, we do want whatever man wins and is best wherever on the line.

I think small school or not Turner has the right physical abilities and athleticism to play that zone blocking style and just the kind of guy that line coach loves. Throw in his positive nasty can do attitude and we may have ourselves a mainstay on the line for years to come.

Fri May 16, 2014 5:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I know this was an exception, but didn't Sims and Webb both play on the left side as rookies?

Fri May 16, 2014 10:17 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
I know this was an exception, but didn't Sims and Webb both play on the left side as rookies?

.....yeah, under one of the greatest coaches the game has ever seen.

Fri May 16, 2014 11:04 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Turner came from a school with an amazing Strength and Conditioning program too. If he carries those practices with him, and has the kind of work ethic to improve, I think he will adapt well to the demands of the NFL.

Sat May 17, 2014 12:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

he gave up a pretty weak sack to sam of all people, in the sr. bowl.

wasn't the greatest performance from what i saw..hope he is a better guard

Sat May 17, 2014 4:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Here are links to a short (5 min each episode) Billy Turner documentary about the months leading up to the draft. They're still making new episodes (haven't released the draft day one yet), here they are:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Sat May 17, 2014 11:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Nice clips EAST. He comes in with a great pedigree with his family roots, so strong foundation of football; Great can do attitude that also comes with a nasty streak and IMO he has the athleticism to play in the zone blocking scheme.

Sun May 18, 2014 9:48 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Dolphins are using third-round pick Billy Turner at both guard positions, and hope he will earn a starting job as a rookie.
The Fins have an opening at guard with Shelley Smith capable of playing either side. Miami may resist starting two rookies next to each other, and could prefer Turner alongside LT Branden Albert rather than first-round RT Ja'Wuan James. Turner was a mauling college run blocker, albeit in FCS. He has length (6'5/315, 34-inch arms) to become more than adequate in pass protection.
-Miami Herald

Sun May 18, 2014 10:10 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Smith is capable of playing right guard at a high level, then I think it would be best to put him there. This would allow Turner to compete with last years 3rd round prospect Dallas Thomas for the left guard spot. I think the left side is a better fit for both guys considering they were both left tackles in college.

Sun May 18, 2014 11:13 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Being from South Dakota, I love it when one of our Dakota boys gets an opportunity to play with the Dolphins. This year at least two Bison will have a chance to wear aqua and orange. Needless to say, both Turner and Jensen are extremely talented and know what it takes to be the best.
Let's hope Billy Turner is North Dakota's version of Jim Langer, who played for South Dakota State.
Fun Fact That All Of You Knew Already: original owner Joe Robbie was born in Sisseton, South Dakota.

Sun May 18, 2014 11:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Dolphin Lover wrote:
Being from South Dakota, I love it when one of our Dakota boys gets an opportunity to play with the Dolphins. This year at least two Bison will have a chance to wear aqua and orange. Needless to say, both Turner and Jensen are extremely talented and know what it takes to be the best.
Let's hope Billy Turner is North Dakota's version of Jim Langer, who played for South Dakota State.
Fun Fact That All Of You Knew Already: original owner Joe Robbie was born in Sisseton, South Dakota.

I spent my first two years of college at South Dakota State University (2002-2004). That football team was a laughing stock when I attended there. The only program I can remember that was worth a darn was the women's basketball.

I truly hope North Dakota has a much better program than SDSU, because the Jacks are a joke of a football team. Although I do hear that they have made significant strides since they left division two and joined the FCS.

Tue May 20, 2014 9:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Episode 6 for anyone who cares:

Sun May 25, 2014 11:12 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
truly hope North Dakota has a much better program than SDSU,

Wkloiber13: It is North Dakota State. Perennial 1-AA National Champion the past 3 years.

Sun May 25, 2014 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]