View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Post Free Agency/Draft: Will Miami Make the 2014 Postseason? 

Will Miami Make the 2014 Postseason?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 27

Post Free Agency/Draft: Will Miami Make the 2014 Postseason? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Post Free Agency/Draft: Will Miami Make the 2014 Postseason?
This should be a fun topic to discuss now with our free agency class (for the most part) all settled in, and the draft officially over. Here is the upcoming season's schedule:

Quote:
1 Sep 7 1:00pm Patriots
2 Sep 14 1:00pm at Bills
3 Sep 21 4:25pm Chiefs
4 Sep 28 1:00pm Raiders
5 BYE
6 Oct 12 1:00pm Packers
7 Oct 19 1:00pm at Bears
8 Oct 26 1:00pm At Jaguars
9 Nov 2 1:00pm Chargers
10 Nov 9 1:00pm At Lions
11 Nov 13 8:25pm Bills
12 Nov 23 4:25pm At Broncos
13 Dec 1 8:30pm at Jets (Monday Night Football)
14 Dec 7 1:00pm Ravens
15 Dec 14 1:00pm At Patriots
16 Dec 21 1:00pm Vikings
17 Dec 28 1:00pm Jets

The five teams that I see on that schedule, that are straight up better than Miami is New England, Kansas City, Green Bay, Chicago, and Denver. You could argue that Detroit and Baltimore should be included in there as well, but they are definitely a tier under the first five teams I mentioned.

San Diego may be the most interesting game of the season from a talent perspective. It's practically a wash between these two teams when they match up this season, and Miami has home field advantage going for them just like they did last season against San Diego. Hopefully the game doesn't get delayed until 4pm this time around, as stats/history proves that 1pm home game are extremely beneficial for east coast teams when a western team is visiting due to the time zone change.

The only teams that I see Miami is clearly better than going into the season is:

Buffalo, Oakland, Jacksonville, NYJ, and Minnesota. The talent comparison between those five teams isn't even that big of a gap outside of Oakland in Miami's favor. This will be a very difficult season to accomplish the post season goals we all have for our team. They can finish this season 5-11, to 10-6. There should be no doubt that this is an improved squad from 2013, but that does not guarantee more wins with a stricter schedule.

I'm still on the fence on all this, but as of right now, I would say Miami will finish 7-9 or 8-8, missing the post season for the sixth consecutive season. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 17, 2014 4:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Post Free Agency/Draft: Is Miami a 2014 Playoff Contender?
Kansas City doesn't scare me. They're fake. Back to 7 or 8 wins with a tougher schedule.

Sat May 17, 2014 4:56 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Easily a playoff team.

Sat May 17, 2014 4:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Right now I see 7-9

Sat May 17, 2014 5:16 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Impossible to tell at this point but I'm guessing no, 1 returning starter on the Oline, there may be some bumps in the road.

Sat May 17, 2014 5:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
1 returning starter on the Oline, there may be some bumps in the road.

It can't possibly get worse than last season, and I mean that quite literally lol.

Sat May 17, 2014 10:20 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Finster wrote:

It can't possibly get worse than last season, and I mean that quite literally lol.

What AFC said. The OL for Miami was HOT GARBAGE last year, giving up the most sacks in the NFL with 58. I don't think this young group could be worst that THAT group last year.

They most certainly will be the key. Good OL play equals 10-6, struggles on the OL equals 7-9.

Sat May 17, 2014 10:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The Dolphins need better qb play.

Sun May 18, 2014 7:42 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I just don't see them making the playoffs this year. I think they could win a low of 5 to a high of 9 games. 7-9 is my guess, which will end the Philbin era/error in Miami. Winning the games against the Packers, Bears, Ravens, Lions and splitting with the Patriots might get them to the playoffs but it will be tough.

1 Sep 7 1:00pm Patriots L
2 Sep 14 1:00pm at Bills L
3 Sep 21 4:25pm Chiefs W
4 Sep 28 1:00pm Raiders W
5 BYE
6 Oct 12 1:00pm Packers L
7 Oct 19 1:00pm at Bears L
8 Oct 26 1:00pm At Jaguars W
9 Nov 2 1:00pm Chargers W
10 Nov 9 1:00pm At Lions L
11 Nov 13 8:25pm Bills W
12 Nov 23 4:25pm At Broncos L
13 Dec 1 8:30pm at Jets (Monday Night Football) L
14 Dec 7 1:00pm Ravens L
15 Dec 14 1:00pm At Patriots L
16 Dec 21 1:00pm Vikings W
17 Dec 28 1:00pm Jets W

Sun May 18, 2014 9:22 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Dolphins had a tough schedule last year and had the playoffs wrapped up if not for their 2 game slide at the end of the season. If the OL is improved then I do not see how the Dolphins do not get into the playoffs. We'll have to see, but I selected "yes". It is possible.

Sun May 18, 2014 9:38 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The challenge is every year making preseason predictions, new teams emerge out of the blue unexpectedly winning more games than you saw coming (See Kansas City last season) and then there will be a team (see Atlanta last season) that was predicted to do big things only to step backwards. The AFC East games against the Pats, Jets and Buffalo are all usually potential splits in the making, so its hard to predict sweeps in the games where two teams know each other so well.

I agree with EAST and Tony that the line was SO horrible last season that it really HAS to be better (Or Lord help us if they regressed yet again, but highly unlikely). The new offensive line zone blocking scheme I am personally excited about; a third year Tannehill should be improved; Moreno at RB "should" help; a second season with Wallace you "hope" could potentially net much better results of being on the same page. Defensively, if healthier, I see better as well and that talented approach the new Linebacker coach comes with "I think" will help vastly improve that unit.

I am going to agree with Tony, we stay away from injuries, I see 10-6 as best case scenario or if Tannehill is mediocre, another 8-8 could be on the horizon. Last season, distractions with the big baby Martin situation; Incognito; awful line, those two improvements alone IMO net a much better situation and optimism for the 2014 season.

Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Finster wrote:

Well, I didn't say it would get worse, but expecting something like that to go smoothly is unrealistic, it's possible but not likely, and do you want to hear something scary? On paper at this time last year we were a better Oline than we are now.....

Sad but true, so it actually could get worse, I'm not predicting that but the plain, simple awful truth is that we have only 2 proven Olinemen, gel time for this unit could be a serious factor, can't ignore that, truth is we don't even know who will be starting besides Albert, Pouncey and James.

It's incredibly rare to have only 1 returner starter on the Oline, this is the unit that NEEDS to gel, and Olines can take time to gel, especially an Oline that is sporting 2 rookies and only 1 returning starter, so even if we may have found the Oline of the future, they still may struggle their first year together, in fact i'd count on it to some extent, combine that with a possibly much tougher schedule....

Sun May 18, 2014 10:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I am not as confident as you are. I don't know what to expect this year. I hope it is better that's for sure.

Sun May 18, 2014 12:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
It's incredibly rare to have only 1 returner starter on the Oline, this is the unit that NEEDS to gel, and Olines can take time to gel, especially an Oline that is sporting 2 rookies and only 1 returning starter, so even if we may have found the Oline of the future, they still may struggle their first year together, in fact i'd count on it to some extent, combine that with a possibly much tougher schedule....

They hired an excellent offensive line coach, so it is up to him to get these guys feeling comfortable with each other. Besides the rookies, there are guys that have played in enough games to help out as a veteran presence i.e. Shelly Smith and Fox.

I know what your meaning though that realistically it could take some time to gel together, all we can do is hope that the coaching and camps/preseason helps prepare them to start the season off successful.

Sun May 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

They hired an excellent offensive line coach, so it is up to him to get these guys feeling comfortable with each other. Besides the rookies, there are guys that have played in enough games to help out as a veteran presence i.e. Shelly Smith and Fox.

I know what your meaning though that realistically it could take some time to gel together, all we can do is hope that the coaching and camps/preseason helps prepare them to start the season off successful.

I'm excited about Benton as well, and having a guy like him right now is great, I just want to see progress in the right direction, I'm not worried about playoffs this year, I just want to get the franchise going in the right direction, if they can do that then the playoffs will follow year in and year out, and that's what I want as a fan, what I grew up with as a fan, a perennial playoff team.

It would be nice to be optimistic every year again, and I have my very own yogiism on the subject;

I can't get optimistic about something until there's something to get optimistic about.

Sun May 18, 2014 4:00 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yeah I am ready for the O-line to fail forward fast.

Sun May 18, 2014 6:54 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Realistically, I see a 7-9 season coming up. If they have managed to put a few things together (Tannehill timing with Wallace, some o-line thing are fixed, etc etc) I can see them snagging one more, or maybe two more out of it.

The rose colored, glass is full Dolphin fan in me says.... FINESSE, you got that Super Bowl bus gassed up and ready to go? I'm READY TO RIDE!

Sun May 18, 2014 8:10 pm

When you go thru the schedule & say we are a 7-9 team you are basing it on last season which is fine. But also you can say we were 8-6 & poised to be in the playoffs. I think we had a good enough off season to say the Oline is improved & Tannehill will take that year 3 step up in status. So , going by last season you can also say double digit wins. Look , who knows but if we fall flat on our asses this season & Tannehill is not the guy , expect the pre 2012 FINesse back!

Sun May 18, 2014 8:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Coots wrote:
Realistically, I see a 7-9 season coming up. If they have managed to put a few things together (Tannehill timing with Wallace, some o-line thing are fixed, etc etc) I can see them snagging one more, or maybe two more out of it.

The rose colored, glass is full Dolphin fan in me says.... FINESSE, you got that Super Bowl bus gassed up and ready to go? I'm READY TO RIDE!

I'm in the same boat as you. This schedule is tough and we're not great. I just want to see a franchise moving upward.

Sun May 18, 2014 9:56 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

The subject and the poll question are not consistent.

Are they a playoff contender? Well yes, they are. They were a playoff contender last season.

Will they make the playoffs? That's not the same question.

Mon May 19, 2014 7:25 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Rich wrote:

Are they a playoff contender? Well yes, they are. They were a playoff contender last season.

:)

Mon May 19, 2014 8:03 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:

I just checked the standings, we are tied for first place in the East. We actually have the same record as both Seatle and Denver, so I would say we are a Super Bowl contender at this point..

Based on standings....

Based on names added in off season, we are an avg team and Wild Card contender at the best..

Mon May 19, 2014 9:38 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

I made this thread in a hurry a half hour before work, mistakes were apparently made. Fixed it for ya bud, my bad lol.

Mon May 19, 2014 9:51 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Post Re: Post Free Agency/Draft: Will Miami Make the 2014 Postseason?
So some things to note about my prediction here:

- I think we'll return the favor and sweep the Bills.
- I have us splitting with New England and the Jets
- Think we'll start 3-1 going into the bye week.
- We'll have a tough November, going 1-3 against the Chargers, Lions, Bills and Broncos
- We'll bounce back to close the season 4-1, finish at 10-6 and earn ourselves a wild card spot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Sep 7 1:00pm Patriots - LOSS
2 Sep 14 1:00pm at Bills - WIN
3 Sep 21 4:25pm Chiefs - WIN
4 Sep 28 1:00pm Raiders - WIN
5 BYE
6 Oct 12 1:00pm Packers - LOSS
7 Oct 19 1:00pm at Bears - WIN
8 Oct 26 1:00pm At Jaguars - WIN
9 Nov 2 1:00pm Chargers - LOSS
10 Nov 9 1:00pm At Lions - LOSS
11 Nov 13 8:25pm Bills - WIN
12 Nov 23 4:25pm At Broncos - LOSS
13 Dec 1 8:30pm at Jets (Monday Night Football) - WIN
14 Dec 7 1:00pm Ravens - WIN
15 Dec 14 1:00pm At Patriots - WIN
16 Dec 21 1:00pm Vikings - WIN
17 Dec 28 1:00pm Jets - LOSS

Mon May 19, 2014 10:51 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The team has to win the battle up front, plain and simple. You can point to every single element - if Tannehill only completed that pass, if Wallace didn't drop that ball, if Clabo didn't miss that block, if Wheeler only made that tackle, etc. - and find faults.

Getting a run game and giving Tannehill a few more chances to complete passes will make a world of difference. It will be hard to tell if Tannehill is eliminating his own mistakes when he's running for his life. If he's still holding the ball too long and missing throws while getting better protection, well we all know Miami does not have their QB. Same goes for the backs. If holes open up but Moreno/Miller are hesitant/misreading, well we know Miami needs new backs.

I think Starks, Odrick and Wake will be fine. Questions are can Vernon repeat, Jordan be more active and Mitchell adequately replace Soliai? And I am praying Wheeler is somehow replaced or motivated to up his game. Can't let opponents continually extend drives.

Personally, I'm not enjoying the negatives I'm reading on twitter and in the media. Feels eerily similar to 2011.

Mon May 19, 2014 11:10 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

We want to believe that the offseason brought some improvements to the team. We also want to believe that the team has not regressed in any area. I think the main areas that the Fins needed improvements should be significantly better (Oline, Healthy WRs, new OC and better play calling). Other areas such as LB play, Defensive calls, situational coaching you wont know if there is any improvement until the season starts.

The best thing I like about the team is they dont quit and are in pretty much every game. We dont get pushed around any more like we used to. So I give us a fighting chance in every game and I think the experience from last year being in so many close games should serve us this season. I see us pulling out a lot of close games and being 10-6 and in playoffs.

Mon May 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Tell ya what, even though I put Miami to lose against the Patriots in week 1 - if they get off to as bad a start as they had last year, we could very well see a 4-0 team going into the bye week.

If not 4-0, at least we can beat the Pats lol #PhinsUp!

Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

1 Sep 7 1:00pm Patriots (Loss)
2 Sep 14 1:00pm at Bills (Win)
3 Sep 21 4:25pm Chiefs (Win)
4 Sep 28 1:00pm Raiders (Loss)
5 BYE
6 Oct 12 1:00pm Packers (Loss)
7 Oct 19 1:00pm at Bears (Win)
8 Oct 26 1:00pm At Jaguars (Win)
9 Nov 2 1:00pm Chargers (Win)
10 Nov 9 1:00pm At Lions (Loss)
11 Nov 13 8:25pm Bills (Loss)
12 Nov 23 4:25pm At Broncos (Loss)
13 Dec 1 8:30pm at Jets (Monday Night Football) (Win)
14 Dec 7 1:00pm Ravens (Win)
15 Dec 14 1:00pm At Patriots (Loss)
16 Dec 21 1:00pm Vikings (Win)
17 Dec 28 1:00pm Jets (Win)

I have the Dolphins finishing 9-7 on the season, one game better than last year, but failing to make the playoffs. Tannehill will play better than last season, but not well enough to put us on his back and into the post season. Typical Dolphins, we'll win some big ones (probably steal a win or two from quality opponents), but we'll lose some bad ones we should have won (losses at home to lesser divisional opponents).

Tue May 20, 2014 12:17 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

wkloiber13 wrote:
1 Sep 7 1:00pm Patriots (Loss)
15 Dec 14 1:00pm At Patriots (Loss)

You have us getting swept by the Patsies? I smell a suspension coming ....

:haha

Wed May 21, 2014 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]