View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Dolphins not feeling the love in 2014 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Dolphins not feeling the love in 2014
Quote:
Dolphins were a competitive 8-8 in 2013 and just one win away from making the playoffs. They signed Branden Albert, a Pro Bowl left tackle and drafted right tackle Ja'Wuan James in the first-round to fix the offensive line. Miami added 1,000-yard running back Knowshon Moreno to boost their shoddy rushing attack.

Add veteran signings such as cornerback Cortland Finnegan, defensive tackle Earl Mitchell, safety Louis Delmas, a new draft class and the Dolphins should be projected to take the next step, correct?

Not so fast.

Quote:
ESPN.com recently ranked the Dolphins in the bottom third of the NFL at No. 24. One voter -- NFL Nation reporter Kevin Seifert -- rated the Dolphins No. 30, which rubbed a lot of Dolphins fans the wrong way. Bleacher Report also rated Miami last at No. 32 and the worst team in the NFL. Football Outsiders predicted Miami would finish 7-9.

Why is Miami being ranked low nationally? Here are three theories:

1. Head coach on the hot seat

2. Not much confidence in Tannehill

3. Bad Press [/quote]

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... ve-in-2014

Tue May 20, 2014 12:43 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins not feeling the love in 2014
Whoever the hell rated Miami as the WORST team in the NFL should be immediately "fired" from bleacher report, castrated, and exiled from the country. That is beyond a moronic statement.

Tue May 20, 2014 2:21 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Whoever the hell rated Miami as the WORST team in the NFL should be immediately "fired" from bleacher report, castrated, and exiled from the country. That is beyond a moronic statement.

Well, I did hear they had hired Rock as a writer...

Tue May 20, 2014 2:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

Ya, because I've called them the worst team in the world before.

I hear they hired you to bully their online forums. We should grab lunch some time since we obviously work for the same company now .... that is when you've got some time away from pretending to be analytics expert.

Do you like Thai or Southwest? How about seafood instead?

Tue May 20, 2014 4:19 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Well that discussion went south in a hurry.

Tue May 20, 2014 4:34 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
I hear they hired you to bully their online forums. We should grab lunch some time since we obviously work for the same company now .... that is when you've got some time away from pretending to be analytics expert.

What the heck are you talking about?

Tue May 20, 2014 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
What the heck are you talking about?

C'mon Dave ...... seriously.

Tue May 20, 2014 5:30 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I really like the fact that most of the so called experts expect little from Miami. Worst team in the NFL, Yes Sir.......... :haha

Tue May 20, 2014 5:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sooo... it's universally accepted that our biggest weakness last year was the O-line. It's hard to argue that we haven't taken steps to improve that. Our running game and run D were probably next in line IMO. We upgraded at RB and may have taken a step back in our run D by losing Soliai, but that remains to be seen. LB is still an issue, but overall to say we went from narrowly missing the playoffs to the worst team in the league w/o noticeable regression in our roster seems kind of absurd.

I guess it was the loss of John Jerry that led to our demise. :hithead:

Tue May 20, 2014 6:57 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Why no love? Philbin factor, brand new NFL OC, awful LBers, question mark across from Grimes, 4 new starting OL guys, 58 sacks from last year, losses to bad teams...

I'm not buying the Tannehill or bad press theories. If anything I think Tannehill is getting something of a pass from the disastrous OL and the press changes like the wind. Vegas just bumped Miami from 7.5 to 8 wins in their predictions. Considering bookies are about making money why would they consider a bottom 3rd of the league team capable of 8 wins?

I honestly think the offense will be better, especially Tannehill. I do not think he will suddenly hit deep passes, but if the line is better and Lazor gets him to use check down options more frequently the chains will move. Getting rid of GO/GO-GO is a big step in the right direction.

I have no idea if the defense will improve. I don't trust the LBers and they are key to stopping teams from 3rd down conversions. If Walker did his homework he would have seen that Miami was tied for 21st in the NFL for stopping teams on 3rd down. Perhaps that should be a theory as to why they get no respect???

Tue May 20, 2014 7:22 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

When we throw 11 - 12 wins in their faces we will look back on this & laugh.

Tue May 20, 2014 7:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
When we throw 11 - 12 wins in their faces we will look back on this & laugh.

You are #@&% consistent, geez.

:)

Tue May 20, 2014 7:32 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

You also have to remember that these are all the same writers, pundits, "experts", who think Incognito and Pouncey making Martin cry makes the Dolphins a far worse organization than the Patriots, who allow their TEs to go around shooting people, and the Steelers, who allow their QBs to go around date-raping women in bar bathrooms.

Everything with a grain of salt.

Personally, I expect the Dolphins to be improved this year. Whether this year's schedule dictates that will lead to a playoff run is for someone else to decide. That's beyond my football analytical skills. But, every year there are teams on the schedule before the season starts that look like sure wins, and those that look like sure losses, but some teams invariably on both ends of that scale either rise or fall and most people act surprised when it happens, yet it happens every single year.

Tue May 20, 2014 8:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The Dolphins were the 19th worst team in the NFL last year. Or was it the 14th best team in the NFL? I guess it depends on whether or not you see the glass as half empty or half full for this team. But either way you look at it, they're a middle of the road team. Do they have problems, sure, all teams that fail to make the playoffs have problems. Otherwise they wouldn't be missing the playoffs.

But Miami is far from a bottom dweller. I think the past two seasons and the offseason we just had would dictate that Miami is headed for somewhere between 6 to 10 wins this season. I'd be very surprised if they won more than 10 games and I'd be even more surprised if they won fewer than six games.

In my opinion, Philbin will need to win 9 or more games to keep his job (the only exception being some sort of unforeseen setback like an injury to Tannehill). As long as he keeps this team moving forward and improves from year to year, I think he has a job. Same goes for Tannehill. If he keeps improving and winning more games each season, then he too will keep his job.

Tue May 20, 2014 9:15 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jgod1 wrote:
Personally, I expect the Dolphins to be improved this year. Whether this year's schedule dictates that will lead to a playoff run is for someone else to decide. That's beyond my football analytical skills. But, every year there are teams on the schedule before the season starts that look like sure wins, and those that look like sure losses, but some teams invariably on both ends of that scale either rise or fall and most people act surprised when it happens, yet it happens every single year.

You know, I agree, too. I hate to get all excited every offseason only to be disappointed every year, but we've been adding good pieces to this team. For the Dolphins to be in the playoffs we need the 3 things at play: OL must be improved, LBs must be improved, Tannehill needs to be able to hit the deep pass to Wallace. I think it is doable.

Heck, I'm sure most of you are too young to remember that every year some analyst would think we would be the team with the Super Bowl ring. That was tiring in itself, but I do miss the old days of hope.

Wed May 21, 2014 6:31 am
Profile WWW

jgod1 wrote:
You also have to remember that these are all the same writers, pundits, "experts", who think Incognito and Pouncey making Martin cry makes the Dolphins a far worse organization than the Patriots, who allow their TEs to go around shooting people, and the Steelers, who allow their QBs to go around date-raping women in bar bathrooms.

Everything with a grain of salt.

With a grain of salt of course. I dont think the Patriots allowed their TE to go around shooting people or the Steelers allowed their QB to go around date raping girls in bathrooms.
These topics need to sustain some form of credibility.
The thing about the Bullygate scandal while certainly being blown out of proportion it did happen right under the noses of the staff.
Did the Dolphins allow David Boston to beat up an old guy in an airport or Cecil Collins to rob ... I think not. I dont think the staff of any of those teams were present when these crimes took place.
The first paragraph of this post is just way out of line & exposes what jealousy towards more successful franchises brings.
The second part however is quite true & is really the frustrating thing about this team. We seem to play up to our better opponents while certainly playing down to our lesser ones.
With parody however the lesser opponents are far less than they once were which is why some of those teams have passed us by stagnating us in mediocrity , harder schedules & middle of the round draft picks.

Wed May 21, 2014 6:44 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Rich wrote:

Ya, because I've called them the worst team in the world before.

Do you like Thai or Southwest? How about seafood instead?

Rock, I was kidding around.

Your reaction was way overblown.

Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 am

jammer wrote:
Why no love?

I think Bullygate and the late season meltdown are the driving factors in this perception.

Still, someone rating us the worst team in the league is ridiculous.

Wed May 21, 2014 7:07 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

clink...clink...wzzzzz wzzzzz Anyone seen the tranny for the 10-6 Bus???? Hello??? C'mon! I laid it down over in the corner after bully gate last year. Gotta get this sucker on the road by September.... ANYONE????

Wed May 21, 2014 1:59 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
Why no love?

I think Bullygate and the late season meltdown are the driving factors in this perception.

Still, someone rating us the worst team in the league is ridiculous.

I agree on both counts. However, the odds makers aren't giving us much love either as they have us favored in only 5 games this year which makes us the 23rd best record in the NFL this year ... or a 3rd place finish in the AFC East. By the looks of it, Philben will be out of a job at the end of 2014, but I would rather win.

Quote:
New England Patriots (12):
at Miami (-3.5), at Minnesota (-3), Oakland (-13), Cincinnati (-4), at Buffalo (-3.5), N.Y. Jets (-7.5), Chicago (-4.5), Denver (-1) Detroit (-6) at San Diego (-1), Miami (-6.5), at N.Y. Jets (-3).

Buffalo Bills (6):
Miami (-1), San Diego (-1), Minnesota (-2.5), N.Y. Jets (-2.5), Cleveland (-2.5), at Oakland (-1).

Miami Dolphins (5):
Oakland (-5), at Jacksonville (-4), San Diego (-2.5), Buffalo (-3.5), Minnesota (-4).

New York Jets (3):
Oakland (-4.5), Buffalo (-2.5), Miami (-1).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -15-games/

Thu May 22, 2014 5:09 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
I guess it was the loss of John Jerry that led to our demise. :hithead:

Let's not forget that Martin is gone.

THAT will make us a worse team, huh?

Thu May 22, 2014 6:04 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm not a Philbin guy............I can easily see us getting off to a 2-4 or 1-5 start and finishing with 5 wins.

Thu May 22, 2014 10:28 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:
clink...clink...wzzzzz wzzzzz Anyone seen the tranny for the 10-6 Bus???? Hello??? C'mon! I laid it down over in the corner after bully gate last year. Gotta get this sucker on the road by September.... ANYONE????

Found it.... FINESSE has the super bowl tires somewhere... gas is on me boys. LETS RIDE

Thu May 22, 2014 12:01 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Coots wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Found it.... FINESSE has the super bowl tires somewhere... gas is on me boys. LETS RIDE

Thu May 22, 2014 4:11 pm
Profile WWW

We will get that bus ready for the super bowl run , no doubt!!
Hey isnt that Philbin in there with the cowboy hat on?

Thu May 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Big Dave wrote:
Coots wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

:haha Woah....there Dave.... if you're trying to compete with the big media outlets by dissing Miami.....that is a good start :haha

Fri May 23, 2014 10:32 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

JUNKIE, the question is where does the Swami predict Miami to place this season?

Come on Gary, be your honest self!! :fart:

Fri May 23, 2014 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]