View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 With the 40th pick of the 2010 NFL draft... 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post With the 40th pick of the 2010 NFL draft...
Imagine the uproar...

"With the 40th pick of the 2010 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select..."

(wait for it...)

"Rob Gronkowski, Tight End, Arizona."

All the message boards would be on fire with the outraged fans sure that this pick spelled doom for our defense in 2010, with visions of wide open tight ends roaming the middle of the field (like last year) and quarterbacks waiting... and waiting... for a receiver to uncover.

But wait... aren't there 7 rounds? Is it possible... just possible... that we could fill our most desperate needs while still drafting the best available player in the second round, even if it's an offensive weapon? I'm not making a case specifically for Gronkowski here... although he seems like a stud. I'm only advising that we all take a deep breath if the pick is not a OLB, S or NT.

You can know this for sure... our FO is going to take whomever they have highest on the board. Period. And, like it or not, accept it or not, they know more than us. They have information we're not privvy to, and never will be. They have a plan, a reason for what they are doing, and they are working that plan.

Several years from now we'll be able to see if it was a good plan after all.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:16 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: With the 40th pick of the 2010 NFL draft...
I don't know. He certainly fits our mold of a TE that we are looking for, but, I don't know if he is really a guy that we would take with the needs a players available on defense in this round, and with the depth at the TE position.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'd be for it... One of the more underrated needs this team has is surrounding Henne with as many available weapons as possible. This guy is a good receiver and a very good blocker. He would be a fine pick-up as far as I'm concerned.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:17 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

PJ, TE is a need for this team and the Dolphins are looking for a big TE that can stretch the field and a solid blocker. There depth at the TE position, but not many with that combo that Miami is looking for.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment if the Phins take a TE, it's a need area also. The only question with Gronk is do teams fell comfortable with the back issues. That is serious when you talk about back issues.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

He has that back concern... but if that checks out I'd be more than welcome to taking him at pick 40

This is a definite team need... if you think the TE's we have now are fine, you're really holding onto a big ol glass of Koolaid

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

IamPZ wrote:
He has that back concern... but if that checks out I'd be more than welcome to taking him at pick 40

This is a definite team need... if you think the TE's we have now are fine, you're really holding onto a big ol glass of Koolaid

agree!!! back surgery.. hasnt started running yet either right??...

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:24 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

No, Gronk has start running again and had a pro day and has been checked out. He came thru fine.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:25 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
PJ, TE is a need for this team and the Dolphins are looking for a big TE that can stretch the field and a solid blocker. There depth at the TE position, but not many with that combo that Miami is looking for.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment if the Phins take a TE, it's a need area also. The only question with Gronk is do teams fell comfortable with the back issues. That is serious when you talk about back issues.

I wouldn't be too disapointed. Obviously you can never surround your young QB with enough talent. I think the guy would compliment Fasano real well. He's not my first choice though. Maybe if we had taken an OLB or FS in the 1st round.

He reminds me a lot of Zach Miller from a couple years back. Not talked about a lot, but turned into a very good pro and 2nd round pick for the Raiders.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]