Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:05 pm 
2017 VIP Donor!
2017 VIP Donor!

Quote:
Armando Salguero

One of the complaints I had about Sherman's offense last year was there was hardly any motion used to help receivers get free of coverages. Indeed, receivers often lined up in the same place play after play as a so-called strategy.

Not so with Miami's new offense. Receivers will be in motion a lot. There will be five players in the pass pattern a lot -- that coming in multiple combinations such as two WRs, two TEs and a RB or 3 WRs, a TE and a RB. And most of the time, receivers will have options on their routes.

This Dolphins offense places a premium on speed that the so-called West Coast offense of the past couple of years did not. Mike Wallace is happy about that. This offense requires a strong-armed QB and Tannehill fills that need well. The offense also relies a lot on timing. Tannehill will often be throwing to a spot and expect the WR to be there.

That can be good as it will get the ball out quickly. But that can also be problematic if the receiver and quarterback are not in synch, as sometimes happens when things are new.

The new scheme also requires Tannehill to fix the deep ball accuracy issue of the past because otherwise the long ball -- and the offense often looks long first and then works back -- is of no effect.

So the chemistry between Tannehill and Wallace is a bigger deal than last year.

Much work needs done on this. During Tuesday's OTA session, Tannehill tried one deep pass to an open Wallace that I saw. He overthrew it. So ...

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:09 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
Mike Wallace admitted he "didn't feel like I knew what was going on" last season.
Observers of departed OC Mike Sherman's scheme didn't know what was going on either. He never even attempted to establish a run game, turned Ryan Tannehill into a pinata (league-high 58 sacks) and was strikingly uncreative with Wallace. New OC Bill Lazor is moving Wallace all over the formation, something that played a major role in DeSean Jackson's career-best 2013 season. Wallace says he feels "a lot more comfortable" and hasn't missed a single chance to work out with Tannehill this offseason. He's going to improve drastically on last year's career-worst 12.7 YPC and five touchdowns.
-Rotoworld

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Watching some video of Foles from last year and it is amazing how often he uses short crossing routes. Also amazing how often he scrambles. For a guy supposedly lacking mobility he moves a lot and is pretty accurate on the run.

If Lazor can apply this with Tannehill's wheels it will move the chains at a good clip. Wallace, Moreno and Matthews should have a field day with this.

One thing I'm not seeing is a lot of quick throws. Short throws on the run and deep passes. Cooper makes some nice plays for Foles.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:44 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I'm excited to see this offense.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:57 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mike Wallace admitted he "didn't feel like I knew what was going on" last season

We didn't know what was going on either Mike.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]