View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Jordan Tripp Could Be Best Value Pick for Miami Dolphins 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Jordan Tripp Could Be Best Value Pick for Miami Dolphins
The Miami Dolphins made a number of very safe selections in the 2014 NFL Draft. They were clearly looking for character guys, former captains and small-school players with chips on their shoulder.

Perhaps no player represents Miami's 2014 draft better than fifth-round selection Jordan Tripp from Montana. Tripp was a captain and one of the best defensive FCS players in the country.

Tripp could also end up being one of the best values not just for Miami, but in the entire draft.

While he may not be an elite athlete, Tripp certainly brings a lot to the table. He stands at 6'3" and doesn't seem to have a inch of bad weight on his 234-pound frame.

He put up some solid numbers at the Combine, especially on the agility drills, which is extremely encouraging for a linebacker adjusting to Miami's 4-3 system. His strength needs some work, but that can be done in an NFL weight room.

While he projected more as a 4-3 outside linebacker, he has apparently been getting reps on the inside, to the surprise of Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel (and myself).

That the coaches believe he can get some work as a middle linebacker can only be seen as a good thing for both Tripp and Miami fans. It means he can learn more about the defense, and also be extremely versatile when the regular season rolls around.

Tripp even brought some of these points up in an interview after practice, which can be seen at the Dolphins' official site.

In that interview, Tripp comes across as an intelligent and humble person who understands his role on the team and seems focused on getting better and making contributions.

At Montana, Tripp became a full-time starter in 2010 as a true sophomore, finishing the year with 99 tackles and 9.0 TFL, along with three fumble recoveries.

He then started in his first three games as a junior, but suffered a season-ending injury and obtained a medical redshirt after the season.

The following year as a redshirt junior, Tripp had 95 tackles, including 13.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks. Then he put up 100 tackles as a senior, to go along with 5.5 TFL and two sacks. He also had five forced fumbles, four interceptions and two defensive touchdowns in those two seasons combined.

He went to the Senior Bowl and played extremely well, helping his draft stock along the way. Bleacher Report's own head scout Matt Miller was high on Tripp during the season, really liked what he saw from Tripp at the Senior Bowl, and continued praising him throughout the winter and spring.

Watching him on the field, it's not hard to see why Miller likes him so much.

Tripp is a real playmaker with a nose for the ball. He flies around the field and is sometimes almost too aggressive, getting caught overrunning the play.

But for the most part, he's a really dynamic presence in the open field, and also has the determination to push into the middle of the field and get knocked around while trying to make a play.

He's a solid tackler who will not lay people out, but will also rarely fail to bring someone down if he gets a clean shot at the runner.

Miller isn't the only Bleacher Report writer who liked Tripp's game. Matt Bowen, a seven-year NFL veteran who now lends his knowledge to B/R and is now one of the best football writers in the business, has sung Tripp's praises as well.

Bowen highlighted Tripp's quickness and fluidity, as well as his proficiency in zone coverage, which should help him immensely in Miami's 4-3 base defense. Bowen also discussed the potential for Tripp to make an impact on special teams right away, which I would strongly second.

According to Kelly, Tripp started out playing on the third team in OTAs, which is not particularly surprising for a fifth-round pick out of Montana. It's going to take some time for him to adjust to the game.

But this is a long-term deal here. Don't be surprised if he starts slowly creeping up the depth chart as the season wears on and he becomes more accustomed to NFL speed.

And with his intelligence, versatility and nose for the ball, there's no doubt in my mind that Tripp can eventually become a starting linebacker for Miami.

If that does indeed happen and Tripp becomes even a modest contributor for the Dolphins, well then, that's the definition of value.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2079 ... i-dolphins

Fri May 30, 2014 9:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Jordan Tripp Could Be Best Value Pick for Miami Dolphins
It will be an interesting battle for the middle linebacker spot. Koa Misi will be given the chance to win the job and although an experienced veteran, I am going to question his ability to be agile enough and be productive with the sideline to sideline tackles. Perhaps in the middle at the point of attack he could be solid, but as soon as he needs to step side to side, this is where my hope is that Jordan Tripp rises up the charts as this kid looks like he can play all over the place. Misi again has the pure strength over Tripp, but at some point the hope is Tripp develops to become more of an impact. Plenty of opportunities throughout camps and preseason.

Sat May 31, 2014 11:08 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Hopefully this kid becomes the next Zach Thomas

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:

Hope he is better than that.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

Hope he is better than that.

Does that get you suspended from the site? :embarrassed:

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

k-dash wrote:

Does that get you suspended from the site?

Why did you take that as a negative comment? Zach was good, but I'd like to see special. A player that becomes a HOF player.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:29 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Zach was special.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:13 am

I'll keep on saying this was a very good draft for Miami. They got value in every round. I never thought we'd get Tripp and Lynch that late. I believe Landry will look like a steal 3 years from now and I think we got 2 long-term starters on the line.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:39 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Zach was special.

We disagree. Special players career are marked with game changing/game winning plays. Special players do not fail in Week 16 on 3rd & 2 with the playoffs on the line against a 4 win team after hitting the Qb at or behind the line. Zach made a lot of tackles.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:28 am

I don't remember Ray Lewis game changing highlight reel. Nature of the position, middle linebackers don't make splash plays like defensive ends and wide receivers.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
I don't remember Ray Lewis game changing highlight reel. Nature of the position, middle linebackers don't make splash plays like defensive ends and wide receivers.
They don't? Interesting comment. Did you ever see Zach inspire the D the way Lewis did the Ravens? To play better than they were.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:04 pm

I'm pretty sure Zach was inspirational to his team man. Picking out one play does not define him as unclutch. Zach and JT did more than enough during their time here. In my opinion they are both HOF worthy. Don't blame them, blame the pitiful offense and coaching and drafting. I felt bad for those 2 and Madison when they were here. The defense was always top notch and the offense was bush league. We would score only 13 to 20 points and get wins because of our defense. No way those teams would get to double digit wins without the D dominating.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Was Urlacher not special either?

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:22 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dphins4me wrote:
k-dash wrote:

Does that get you suspended from the site?

Why did you take that as a negative comment? Zach was good, but I'd like to see special. A player that becomes a HOF player.

For real? Zach's amazing dude! One of the best, toughest, hard working, game loving, & trust worthy players the Dolphins have ever had. He was in every play, whether that meant making the tackle or taking the block so someone else could make the play.

I think he bled literally every game, & it practically came out orange.

I would take a Zach Thomas 9 out of 10 times over Ray Lewis. Ray is a self serving wind bag who worked especially hard the second half of his career to make up for who he used to be. & hes lucky it played out that way. Zach has true character & class

Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Ray dragged on too long....he was starting to become a liability to his team. Analysts pointed out how he got beat and outrun during the playoffs.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Zach was inspirational to his team man.

Probably was, but they rarely played inspired at the end of the game.

swerve13 wrote:
Picking out one play does not define him as unclutch.
Sorry, but if the D was on the field & the game was on the line. Miami more than not would lose.

swerve13 wrote:
Zach and JT did more than enough during their time here.
No tanget here. Zach made to many tackles down field.

swerve13 wrote:
In my opinion they are both HOF worthy.
We share a different opinion.

swerve13 wrote:
Don't blame them, blame the pitiful offense and coaching and drafting. I felt bad for those 2 and Madison when they were here. The defense was always top notch and the offense was bush league. We would score only 13 to 20 points and get wins because of our defense. No way those teams would get to double digit wins without the D dominating.
The D could not close.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Was Urlacher not special either?

Can not speak to Urlacher. Rarely watched him play.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Steve Zissou wrote:

For real? Zach's amazing dude! One of the best, toughest, hard working, game loving, & trust worthy players the Dolphins have ever had. He was in every play, whether that meant making the tackle or taking the block so someone else could make the play.
We share a different opinion. You act as if I said Zach sucked toads. Some think he is great. I think he was good. I'm not dissing him. Just not praising him like others might.

Steve Zissou wrote:
I would take a Zach Thomas 9 out of 10 times over Ray Lewis. Ray is a self serving wind bag who worked especially hard the second half of his career to make up for who he used to be. & hes lucky it played out that way. Zach has true character & class

Off the field I would take Zach, but on the field. I'd rather had Ray.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Quote:

and that's all Zach's fault?

Quote:
The D could not close.

I think you mean the offense could never produce.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
He was the leader of the D.

swerve13 wrote:

Nope. Too many times during his tenure as the leader of the D. Miami had the lead & the opponent had the ball with the game on the line & marched the ball down the field for the win. The O was not great, but the D could not stop a team with the game on the line.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:23 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
The D could not close.

It's pointless to argue with Dphins4me. He thinks Rick Spielman was a great GM and Jason Allen was a nice pickup at DB. We all know how they both turned out

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:57 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

No biggie guys, we have different opinions. Zach was the man, but we always had a Dec. swoon with Zach and JT. I remember '99, we were 7-1 and then we fell to 9-7 and our D gave up a lot of points to the Fielder led Jags.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
It's pointless to argue with Dphins4me.
Thank for making this about me.

TommyNoleFin wrote:
He thinks Rick Spielman was a great GM
If you are going to tell a lie, then tell one so big that people will believe it.

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Jason Allen was a nice pickup at DB. We all know how they both turned out
We all cannot be perfect on things like you.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:06 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dphins4me wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

We share a different opinion. You act as if I said Zach sucked toads. Some think he is great. I think he was good. I'm not dissing him. Just not praising him like others might.

Steve Zissou wrote:

Off the field I would take Zach, but on the field. I'd rather had Ray.

Nothing wrong with that. Maybe if I were able to be objective, as if he were on another team I could see your side of it. But to me Zach is one of the greatest of all time. I love that guy

I also have a place in my heart for players take the brunt work w/o recognition & don't seek the fame. If Zach were on another team I could see youre point tho

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

We all have differing opinions. Zach Thomas gave his heart and soul every game and I rank him up there as one of the best middle linebackers in Miami Dolphins history.

Sure wish we could have a clone of him now for the present day defense.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Zach is considered one of the best 15 middle linebackers ever.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]