View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Is Mike Wallace Primed for a Big 2014? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Is Mike Wallace Primed for a Big 2014?
Quote:
DAVIE, Fla. -- Earlier this week during 11-on-11 drills, Miami Dolphins speedy receiver Mike Wallace got a step on Pro Bowl cornerback Brent Grimes and streaked down the sidelines. Wallace began to pull ahead of Grimes as quarterback Ryan Tannehill unleashed a deep ball.

But Tannehill's pass was overthrown by a couple yards. The sight was all too familiar for Dolphins fans.

Tannehill and Wallace did not have the type of impact the Dolphins expected last season. The pair were expected to be dynamic but could not get on the same page.

Wallace, arguably the fastest receiver in the NFL, finished with 930 receiving yards after signing a $60 million contract. Wallace probably left an additional 300-500 yards on the field due to missed connections deep with Tannehill.

The Dolphins are in a "playoffs or bust" season and cannot afford to leave big offensive plays on the field.

"Well, it's big. It's big time," Tannehill said of making more plays with Wallace. "I think that's one thing you looked at from last year is just connecting more. Not only on deep balls but just connecting more on every run."

Wallace has been putting in the work this offseason to have a better 2014. He met briefly with the Miami media Tuesday and said he worked with Tannehill often this offseason.

Here is another good sign: Wallace was the last player to leave the practice field Tuesday during the start of organized team activities. Wallace spent at least 30 extra minutes following the two-hour practice catching passes and working on the JUGS machine. His work ethic has caught the attention of Miami's coaching staff.

"I think Mike, if you ask, Mike's attitudes been outstanding," Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin said. "He's been working hard every single day that he's been here. I think he feels a lot more comfortable just as we like to say, parking his car in the parking lot and coming to work. I think he feel better about being a Miami Dolphin. I think he understands the expectations that we have in the offseason and so forth. So really like what he's doing."

It will be interesting to see how Wallace is used in Miami's new offense under first-year offensive coordinator Bill Lazor. One immediate change that was noticeable this week was Wallace being moved around to different spots in an effort to get him open and to be less predictable.

This is a huge season for Tannehill to prove he's the long-term solution in Miami. A better rapport with Wallace would go a long way.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/ ... a-big-2014

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Is Mike Wallace Primed for a Big 2014?
It's concerning that Tannehill still can't hit him when he's open.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:20 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Playoffs or bust?

New offense including a first time NFL OC, a revamped half patchwork Oline, brand new first time NFL GM...

We should not be falling into that trap, that is desperation for an existing regime, this is a retooled regime that is going to retool the team, playoffs should not be the goal, good football should be the goal and if you accomplish that then getting to the playoffs will take care of itself.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
Playoffs or bust?

New offense including a first time NFL OC, a revamped half patchwork Oline, brand new first time NFL GM...

We should not be falling into that trap, that is desperation for an existing regime, this is a retooled regime that is going to retool the team, playoffs should not be the goal, good football should be the goal and if you accomplish that then the playoffs will take care of itself.

I agree. There will be some possible scenarios that will see this entire regime retained even without a post season berth. If we play good, clean football on both sides of the ball throughout the season and show marked improvement, and miss the playoffs against a more difficult schedule, I can see this regime being given an extra year.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:26 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Finster wrote:
good football should be the goal and if you accomplish that then getting to the playoffs will take care of itself.

I'm confused.

Is the Dolphins goal to make the playoffs playing bad football?

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:44 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
It's concerning that Tannehill still can't hit him when he's open.

Didn't seem to be a problem today. Its only OTAs. I'll get excited or nervous about it when the 3rd preseason game happens.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
good football should be the goal and if you accomplish that then getting to the playoffs will take care of itself.

I'm confused.

It's OK, could happen to anyone, this may help...

http://www.englishmaven.org/Pages/Readi ... ension.htm

:yay:

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

I'm confused.

http://www.englishmaven.org/Pages/Readi ... ension.htm

:yay:

:haha

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:30 pm

Finster wrote:

More like...

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/managemen ... skills.htm

I read your post about Philbin's age and some of the replies...

You could have done yourself a service by exercising effective communication so you wouldn't have to spend the rest of the thread explaining what the hell exactly you meant... which kept changing....

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

WELLL, then, back to Mike Wallace (that is what this thread was about, right?)...

The potential for Wallace to have something approaching Desean Jackson's season from last year certainly seems real. Utilized properly, (even with his small catch radius, etc.) Wallace can have the kind of impact we all hoped he would have in the first place.

Barring injuries to him or RT, I think 12-1300 yards, 6-8 tds are within reach. If that happens, the domino effect on the rest of the team is huge.

Lazor doesn't have to be a genius to do a better job with our personnel than Sherman did. If he proves to be even a little bit creative, we will score more points. And I think he is going to be more than a little bit creative.

So, so much rides on the OL and LBs this season. If they are adequate, we make the playoffs.

There, I said it. Finesse, got that bus in working order?

Oh, and to keep in the trend of this thread, here's one to chew on..

http://erudition.mohit.tripod.com/_Influence_People.pdf

(It's all in fun, folks...) :grin:

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:15 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Bus is working. Tired of excuses year after year. Seems always an excuse .... injuries , refs , new coach , new coordinators. All teams seem to overcome at some point. It seems its always next season for us.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:50 pm

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

More like...

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/managemen ... skills.htm

I read your post about Philbin's age and some of the replies...

You could have done yourself a service by exercising effective communication so you wouldn't have to spend the rest of the thread explaining what the hell exactly you meant... which kept changing....

Your right, I am a lazy typer, but I do understand the english language.

:ann0y:

Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:14 pm

k-dash wrote:
Oh, and to keep in the trend of this thread, here's one to chew on..

http://erudition.mohit.tripod.com/_Influence_People.pdf

(It's all in fun, folks...) :grin:

I've had more than enough Dale Carnegie training.

It's all fluff and doesn't really work well in a corporate environment.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It was not meant to be a literary recommendation. It was meant to be a somewhat subtle, friendly reminder to all that we all can be a bit thin-skinned from time to time, which does not help the threads. Don't worry. Be happy. :grin:

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:44 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Honestly, I do not see how it is NOT Playoffs or Bust?

Last year an 8-8 team got in as the 6th seed in the AFC, and Miami was technically out by a tie breaker. a 7-9 record is regression..... and I think an 8-8 team will still be a contender this year too. Sorry, name me 6 teams that are flat out better than Miami? I can name 2...

Other than Denver, I really do not see any superior teams in this conference. You may say New England, but Miami split with them last year, and other than Revis, Miami has done more to get better than New England has..... The Jets dont want to admit who their QB will be. The Bills are trying to get faster, but I dont think that is going to help them through their season. Pittsburgh, and Baltimore havent really done much on their own. Cleveland is getting better, but they are still not up to Miami's talent level. Cincinatti looks to be in decline in my opinion, Jacksonville is trying. Tennessee and Houston are stuck in neutral. Indianapolis is definitely on the rise, but again, we beat them last year and they have less than a running attack than miami. Oakland is still an after thought, and KC was a one year wonder. And can you really even take San Diego seriously 2 years in a row..

Ok this may be a ramble, but there really is no excuses. The AFC IS THE WEAKER LEAGUE at the moment. If Miami can not make the post season, then we are even further away than we should be. Denver, Indy, New England, and Baltimore should win divisions. And both Wildcards Miami should be in the drivers seat for. I think Miami is a top 4 team in the AFC regardless of new OC, new GM, new OL, or new RB. They were there last year with a revolving door OL, and a dinosaur calling the offensive plays. Addition by subtraction.... Miami should go 9-7/10-6 this season and be in contention for the AFCE through December.

Honestly I would go so far to say "Second round or Bust". Why? Because the 3 & 4 seeds should be beatable. Does Philbin even deserve another year if he can not make the playoffs? Personally I like Philbin, and I am a supporter, but the way this league looks, it'd be pathetic if Miami doesnt make the party..

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:36 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

At least the new OC uses his strengths. Last year, Mike Sherman kept lining him up on the right side.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:55 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finster wrote:
Playoffs or bust?

We should not be falling into that trap, that is desperation for an existing regime, this is a retooled regime that is going to retool the team, playoffs should not be the goal, good football should be the goal and if you accomplish that then getting to the playoffs will take care of itself.

It is playoffs or bust for this regime. There's a reason why Ross gave Hickey only a two year deal when most new GMs get four or five. Hickey is now tied to Philbin and they sink or swim together. If they have another season like the last five, Ross will clean house and throw money at Jim Harbaugh

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:00 pm

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Finster wrote:
Playoffs or bust?

It is playoffs or bust for this regime. There's a reason why Ross gave Hickey only a two year deal when most new GMs get four or five. Hickey is now tied to Philbin and they sink or swim together. If they have another season like the last five, Ross will clean house and throw money at Jim Harbaugh

I'm not saying your wrong Tommy, in fact it scares me a little that it may be true, what I was saying is that it shouldn't be that way, because that way is the Al Davis way, and we all know how bad that was, I just hope we don't start falling in that trap.

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Finster wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
Finster wrote:
Playoffs or bust?

I'm not saying your wrong Tommy, in fact it scares me a little that it may be true, what I was saying is that it shouldn't be that way, because that way is the Al Davis way, and we all know how bad that was, I just hope we don't start falling in that trap.

The problem is, Ross was hancuffing a GM to a coach or vice versa. He fired Sparano and kept Ireland. Then he fired Ireland's but kept Philbin. Hickey was like his eighth choice after more promising candidates turned down the position. Ross finally wised up and set it up this way so that he can clean house if the team has another season like the last five.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:47 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/stat ... 6994088960

Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]